Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MOUSE WITH NO BALLS  (Read 12145 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE MOUSE WITH NO BALLS
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2009, 01:10:14 PM »

I've gone Apple!

Well, I've gone Apple keyboard at least. I have been very dissatisfied with the keyboards I've been using since I got my new computer in August. I didn't like the touch or feel of any that I had. I tried one of the Apple Mac keyboards at Best Buy and was  delighted with the touch. Of course, they want $70-80 for them new. So, I found a slightly used one on E-bay for $20, and it arrived today. I can tell I'm just going to love typing on this.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2009, 01:11:27 PM »

Before I left for the usual Friday errands, I watched 30 ROCK. Certainly the best show of the season thus far and one that made me laugh several times. I really enjoyed it for a change.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2009, 01:12:32 PM »

Sorry, bk, I don't know from young actresses of the sort you are seeking.

Who are you....Michael Barnum's doppleganger?

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »

When I got in I watched last night's THE MENTALIST while I ate lunch. I loved the episode even with some of the more outrageous events (escaping from prison so easily, etc.) Very entertaining program last night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2009, 01:15:53 PM »

I've gone Apple!

Well, I've gone Apple keyboard at least.

I'm certain that due to BK's and Jose's influence, you'll complete your journey to being full-fledged Apple in no time.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »

Then I watched my work project for the day - ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS. The best of the three movies (but still far, far away from the Pixar great ones in impact and animation). Because this was animated with 3-D in mind, there were a lot of poke things out at the audience moments which, because the DVD was 2-D, became irritating after awhile.

Still, it was a fun romp. They added a weasel character played by Simon Pegg who stole the movie in the same way that Antonia Bandaras' Puss 'n Boots stole SHREK 2 from the rest of the cast. If they do a fourth one, I'd be shocked if they didn't bring him back even though in the movie he left the "tribe" to go back home.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »

I've gone Apple!

I'm certain that due to BK's and Jose's influence, you'll complete your journey to being full-fledged Apple in no time.

Ain't gonna happen.

Ever.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2009, 01:18:06 PM »

The DVD was the single disc edition which had only a commentary (very good) and some trailers as the only bonuses. So, I was finished with the disc with time to spare.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2009, 01:19:27 PM »

I skimmed through today's ONE LIFE TO LIVE. Nothing of interest for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2009, 01:21:02 PM »

I finished the afternoon watching last night's PROJECT RUNWAY. The was the final elimination round before Bryant Park, and I had predicted weeks ago who I thought would make it to the finals. I wasn't wrong. I was a bit disappointed one particular person didn't make it, but it really wasn't a big surprise.

DAW

« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2009, 01:23:17 PM »

I think that they have a pill for that now...        :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »

I watched 14 HOURS when it was on Frances Farmer Presents, several years ago.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »

Interesting question MR BK.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

DAW

« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »

I know it's not Wednesday, but - bk - are there still plans to eventually release the "Sean & Kevin Show" on DVD?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2009, 01:41:11 PM »

I don't know a LOT of young actresses who could play a sympathetic and plucky girl.  They are mostly interested in wearing thongs and being divas.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »

NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA is on TCM tonight.  I have never seen this movie.  Do the learned people here on HHW recommend that I watch it?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »

The girl from JUNO might be okay.....but even she is a bit much.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »

NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA is on TCM tonight.  I have never seen this movie.  Do the learned people here on HHW recommend that I watch it?

I found it a little heavy but it should look sumptuous in HD.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2009, 01:49:16 PM »

RE Adriana H.:

Anna-Sophia Robb who was in BRIDGE TO TERIBITHIA and RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN is an excellent young actress who plays plucky really well.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »

I'm really enjoying my first experience with my Apple keyboard. The touch is perfect for my typing style, and I just have to get my fingers used to the tight grouping of keys. The keyboard I've been using had keys a little more spaced apart than this new keybaord, but it will only be a matter of time before I'm completely comfortable with it.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2009, 01:52:11 PM »

Now, I'm going to hop off-line and really put the keyboard to the test writing my first review with it: ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAUR.

Then I'll head back down and watch more things on the DVR before watching GHOST WHISPERER and MEDIUM "live" tonight.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »

DR MATTH I didn't know you were an APPLE.

And unfortunately I don't have TCM HD! 8-(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2009, 02:04:07 PM »

At WRTV - formerly Frances Farmer Television WFBM - the new anchor always comes on hollering about

NUDE DETAILS on some story.....it has taken me several weeks to realize he is talking about NEW DETAILS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2009, 02:05:03 PM »

The Magic Mouse......isn't that an opera?

And isn't Walt Disney World really the biggest People Trap ever built by a Mouse?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »

I think that they have a pill for that now...        :)

Something I read at Facebook yesterday:  "If there was really a pill that could do what they say it can do, they wouldn't be selling it through spam e-mails."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »

If you have not ordered the new Brent Barrett Christmas CD - you must do so immediately.  A nice way to welcome in the season. 

I like all of the songs but my favorites are "A Star to Guide Me" and "Winter Wonderland."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »

If you have not ordered the new Brent Barrett Christmas CD - you must do so immediately.  A nice way to welcome in the season. 

I like all of the songs but my favorites are "A Star to Guide Me" and "Winter Wonderland."

I'm listening to it right now!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2009, 02:47:37 PM »

I took a late lunch and went over to Lake Chalet.

The weatherman (on channel 2) said we might get a few sprinkles in Oakland but that the only measurable rainfall would be north of us.

It started pouring rain around 11 a.m. and hasn't really stopped.  And it's on the cool side.  I decided I wanted some hot soup and a sandwich or something.

I was seated at a very nice table with a panoramic view of the lake and surrounding environs.  What struck me was how much fog we still have this time of day.

My lunch choice was a bowl of split pea soup cooked with hamhocks for starter, and a vegetable pot pie for entree.  The latter was comprised mostly of cubed (small pieces) yellow squash, zucchini, a little cauliflower, wild baby mushrooms and Yukon Gold potatoes.  The broth was a Yukon Gold gravy.   It was topped with a tent of phyllo-style pastry toasted golden brown.

YUMMY.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:50:54 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2009, 02:56:46 PM »

I cannot speak for the learned folks, of course, but I found "Nicholas and Alexandra" worthy of my attention in both the theater and on laserdisc.  The theatrical version I saw was edited down from the initial roadshow offerings with several scenes cut, including one of Alexei rebuking Nicholas II for giving up his throne.  I found these scenes restored on the laser.  I have it on DVD, as well, but have not watched it.

It's a magnficiently produced epic with extraordinary attention to period detail.  David Lean's preferred art director, John Box, and favorite cinematographer, Freddie Young, contributed superb work for this non-Lean film.   The performance of Janet Suzman as Alexandra was justifiably nominated for the Best Actress Oscar.  One of her strongest scenes has her returning to the palace only to find that most of the household guard, and staff, have deserted their posts.  She then finds her husband in a room, sobbing.  Suzman's performance peaks in theses moments as she makes a very unsympathetic, cold character seem human and vulnerable. The whole story, of course, is a downer, and there's no amount of zip or sparkle that could be added except to make all the pageantry as dazzling as possible (and that's what they accomplished).  Michael Jayston is very good as Nicholas II, and Tom Baker is impressive as Rasputin.  Capping all the splendors of Imperial Russia captured on the screen is Richard Rodney Bennett's amazing score.  This is not his "usual" score, either, but it has a deep, aching melancholy about it that sits very well with me when I'm in the mood for it.

There are many affecting scenes in the film, including one that always moves me...when one of the red guards strikes Nicholas II, one of his aides has a great moment.

This film was Franklin J. Schaffner's next film after "Patton".

FWIW, here is part of what Roger Ebert wrote in his review:

If the movie isn't exactly stirring, however, it is undeniably interesting, especially after the intermission. There's a tendency to get confused early on, when grand dukes and dowager empresses and Rasputin and everybody crowd the screen. But at the end there is only an ordinary middle-aged man and his family, all very much bewildered and frightened, kidding themselves that they're not going to die. Two of the film's most intelligent performances come in here: those of a colonel assigned to guard the family and an old man picked by the revolution as their chief executioner.

All the performances are nicely keyed to an ensemble acting style that avoids the poses and flourishes of most epics. Michael Jayston and Janet Suzman, two experienced British actors who are movie unknowns, inhabit the title roles very naturally. And if it weren't for the way the Bolshevik revolution keeps interrupting things (like news bulletins), their story might have made a nice, muted domestic tragedy.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:15:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2009, 03:02:49 PM »

I've gone Apple!

Ain't gonna happen.

Ever.

Why?  I once said "ever" and here I am, eating my words as well as having just eaten some pasta papa.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up