Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 43918 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2004, 09:01:54 PM »

DR Jenny, we don't agree about the merits of the film versions of ANNIE or BYE BYE BIRDIE. (I agree wholeheartedly that THE MUSIC MAN's screen version could hardly be bettered and that it was foolish to re-do it.)

The films veered away from the stage versions for no good reason, and I'm glad to have the made-for-TV versions that more closely followed their stage versions. True, the BIRDIE remake was saddled with the miscast Jason Alexander, but I still prefer it to the 1963 film version (which admitting that there are GOOD things about that film just as there are some good things about Huston's ANNIE; just not enough good things.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2004, 09:22:32 PM »

Good evening all
Speaking as one who grew up on movie musicals, I have to admit that ANNIE is a guilty pleasure of mine.  I absolutely loved it as a kid, long before I knew there was a stage version.  The Disney version is alright...I like that they brought back NYC for Daddy Warbucks, it's a good song.
I have seen the movie version of Chorus Line, and I wish I hadn't.  
I flatly refuse to see the recent remakes of South Pacific and Music Man.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2004, 09:27:14 PM »

Have a conundrum: We're trying to post the newspaper ad from jrand's post.  He's sent it to me and I've saved it on my computer.  However, the board over at FSM doesn't work like ours - there's a place to add an attachment for a photo but there's no browse button, just a place to put in an http:// url.  Does anyone have a clue how to get the photo from my computer to their board?

BK, it sounds like they want you to link to an image hosting site.  There's a free one at photobucket.com.  You need to register and set up an account.  If you don't want to go thru that bother I can store it under my account and give you the link.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2004, 09:27:31 PM »

Hey, Brucer and Woody! Have a swell time with the grandlads tomorrow. Those lucky little rugrats...
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2004, 09:44:12 PM »

Dan, can you do that?  I actually tried linking here to the pic jrand posted, but it didn't take it.  I right clicked the photo, got properties and got the URL for the photo, then tried to post it over there to no avail - it didn't attach.  Or you could go to filmscoremonthly.com message board, find the Inside Daisy Clover thread and register and try to post it.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2004, 09:45:35 PM »

Hi, everybody!

You guys are so very sweet; thanks so much for the opening night wishes!  I think things went pretty well on the whole, although a few errors were made.  People covered pretty well, so they really weren't a big deal.  Personally, I think I did decently, but vocally I wasn't at my best.  I didn't warm up enough, and I was drinking Vanilla Pepsi...I SO should have had bottled water.

I have a small pic that I took in the ladies' room with my new cell phone's camera.  They will just show you how huge my hair was.  When I took out the elaborate coiffure, I counted something like 40 bobby pins!

Jenny--I do agree that "Moulin Rouge" was a good thing in that it introduced many younger people to musical theatre.  It's really just a matter of personal taste.  While I liked the performances for the most part and admired the art direction, I didn't care for the hyper-kinetic MTV tone of the film,  the blatant anachronisms and messy mélange of "La Boheme" and "La Dame aux Caméllias."

Anyway, here is the pic!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2004, 09:45:42 PM »

I'm trying the photobucket thing.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2004, 09:46:43 PM »

I'm actually feeling sleepy tonight, which I think is a good sign that I'm adjusting to the time change.  So I'm off to bed.

BK, I went ahead and added the pic to my account anyway.  Here's the url:

"http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v130/WandaDuck/VOTDalbum.jpg"

Don't use the quotes.

Hope that works!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 09:47:42 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2004, 09:47:31 PM »

Break a leg, Mymy! Haha--Is that [Wauwa] really your name? ahaha that was great! :)

LOL, Laura (on a joke from a recent IM conversation)!  Cole is actually a brilliant guy...please don't think too badly of him for that silly (and hilarious) misunderstanding!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2004, 09:51:27 PM »

I went to photobucket and opened an account.  Worked like a charm and the ad is now posted over there.  Thanks, Dan!

Laura II

« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2004, 10:31:57 PM »

Oh, Mymy, I never would think badly of him! It was hysterical! I actually wonder why no one else has ever questioned it before. You and Sarah call me that all the time. Maybe there are people out there who assume that's my real name and just don't have the guts to ask!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jed

« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2004, 10:35:19 PM »

Well, I suppose that photo will have to do for now, Maya. :D

Glad all went well!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2004, 11:18:50 PM »

Jed's waiting for that scantily-clad camisole pic, Maya.  

As I thrash through my latest pre-production re-write I just had a thought...probably not particularly original or profound...about why writing can be such a depressing thing.  Because it is basically a process of rejection...rejecting ideas, words, sentences, discarding until you find just the right thing that works.  But you reject tons of stuff before you accept.  And even once you accept something, you keep tweaking and changing and honing, which is just another form of rejection...

Ah, well...back to the old grind....

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2004, 11:32:01 PM »

As I thrash through my latest pre-production re-write I just had a thought...probably not particularly original or profound...about why writing can be such a depressing thing.  Because it is basically a process of rejection...rejecting ideas, words, sentences

Agree. What I find MOST depressing, FS Pogue, is that it is never good enough. That when you think you've nailed it - there is still more to do. I'm sure when you handed in the latest draft you were pleased and thought you were close. And now you're rewriting, taking it apart. When you (generic "you")  repeat this process again and again, you either totally lose confidence - which a writer can't afford to do - or you have to fool yourself into thinking that this is IT. That this time they'll like it and this is the way it's going to be shot. There's a saying in Hungarian: "And then you wake up with your feet in the chamber pot."
I'm probably making no sense at all, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2004, 11:36:18 PM »

And that is why writing novels is the best.  You only have to please you.  Not that that's always easy, but at the end of the day YOU decide what works and doesn't, what you reject and don't.  I'm in a particularly delicate part of the new book, and I've been rewriting and adding constantly for three days, until I feel it's at least right enough to go on.  Unlike the Kritzer books, on this one, even though I've consistently gone back and tweaked and reworked things, I'm sure I'll be adding little bits here and there and smoothing things here and there once I finish.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2004, 11:40:39 PM »

Of course it doesn't help when you freakishly lose a page and a half of decent material, which you then have to reconstruct from your addled brain, knowing it's not quite as good as what was just flowing from your fingers.  That happened today.  I saved the book to floppy as I do (I thought I was through for the day), and then I usually close the book file, and if I want to do more work I reopen.  Today I didn't close it, and I ended up writing another page and  a half, then clicked save and it wouldn't because it was still acting as if it were the version that was saved to floppy.  It finally gave me a screen to save it so I just saved it to a different part of the computer.  I SHOULD have cut and pasted the new page and a half somewhere by itself, but I stupidly didn't.  It saved the file, but when I opened it it only had the floppy version which, of course, was sans the new page and a half.  The stupid part is that this happened once before on one of the Kritzer books - I lost a couple of pages on one of those, too.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2004, 11:41:14 PM »

Nothing's making much sense at this point to me, bleary-eyed, brain-drained.  I find myself mulling on stuff for a week and half and then having to write it all in like four days, when if I just attacked a little a day....a little more writing and a little less contemplation..., I wouldn't be lathering the horse now.  Because after I stewed and rejected all this stuff, I usually find myself returning to my initial instincts.

Panni

« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2004, 11:42:54 PM »

And that is why writing novels is the best.  

I'm envious. Maybe one day I'll try it. Although I think that short stories are more my thing. That would be great fun.

Panni

« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2004, 11:45:17 PM »

Because after I stewed and rejected all this stuff, I usually find myself returning to my initial instincts.

Me, too. Because those are usually the right ones.

Panni

« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2004, 11:46:46 PM »

Does anyone know if the post office is open on Good Friday?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up