Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THINKING CAP  (Read 38063 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE THINKING CAP
« on: April 09, 2004, 12:01:38 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've thought about the notes whilst wearing your collective thinking caps, and now you are ready to post until the cows come home.  Let's have deliriously delirious postings today, shall we? :-*
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 12:05:51 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE THINKING CAP
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 12:11:23 AM »

All alone. And nobody answered my question about the Post Office. :'( I'll just have to go there and check it out.

BTW - A little Passover bird (Moishe, the parrot) told me that for those with dietary restrictions because of Passover, there will be delicious chocolate macaroons - Kosher for Passover - at the Kritzer Time signing/reading.

Jed

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 12:22:32 AM »

Yes, Panni, the post office is indeed open on Good Friday.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 12:39:39 AM »

It would be difficult to find ANY commercial business open in Australia on Good Friday - certainly not in the morning. It is a more significant day than Christmas day. Sporting fixtures are not held during the day either. Some businesses are allowed to open after midday. Easter Saturday is business as usual but Sunday and Monday are holidays (Tuesday used to be).
CDs:
1. Alice in Wonderland - Disney soundtrack - Great.
2. Eric Kunzel "Sailing". Love this CD
3. Katie Melua "Call Off The Search" - A wonderful CD.
4. Jonathan Cerrada "A Chaque Pas". Great pop.
    (Official entry for the 2004 Eurovision Song contest).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 02:10:42 AM »

What, BK, no ham chunks?  Well, if there are no ham chunks, I will definitely not be dancing the Hora at your signing (which would probably drive sales away).  I'll settle for cake and coke and maybe a cheese slice.  I will bring my book which I forgot to have you sign the night you gave it to me (stupid me!).

BK, a comment about this irritating pustule who can't admit he's wrong on whatever this other site is you disappear to...If ant gets in your way, you can either step over it or step on it. But don't let  get you all in a lather.   Or as they say in internet lingo: Do not feed the troll.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 04:12:33 AM »

Dear Friend BK, I'd suggest going to a place that makes t-shirts and having one printed  "THE PONTIFF IS IN"  for this person.   He'll probably be so charmed by such an accurate gift that he'll miss the point, but few others will.

CD:  Renee Fleming's recording of RUSALKA
       Marianne Faithfull's "Ballad of Lucy Jordan"
DVD:  NAKED SPACE, which got lost in the shuffle last week of the pops arrangements
         ROOM WITH A VIEW (new edition)
VCR:  Videos from a friend of her AIDS work & career time in Russia in the early 90s

That's enough!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 04:31:55 AM »

Today's topic continued: Just watched "West Side Story" DVD. So much that is great.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 04:51:17 AM »

We're going out to Long Island for the Easter weekend so we won't be doing much DVD or VCR watching. I thought everything was running smoothly w/the new hard drive on the computer but now the DVD and CR-RW drives seem to be misbehaving. Although they are covered under warranty, the thought of replacing both of those drives after just a year makes me more than a little annoyed.

At work I am listening to (again) 3 Capitol Sings CDs courtesy of DR Jay. My collection is now complete. All 20 CDs

Mood Indigo: Capitol Sings Duke Ellington
Far Away Places: Capitol Sings Around the World
Too Marvelous for Words: Capitol Sings Johnny Mercer

Ben

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 05:00:30 AM »

It seems that I was wrong yesterday when I posted that we broke the 37,000 post number. I seem to get two different numbers when I look at posts. There is a number up in the address bar but on reflection it seems not to be the number of posts. We are at (approximately) 36,696 right now so we won't hit 37,000 for a while and then, as BK said, we will aim for 40,000

Jed

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 05:27:30 AM »

Ben - The number attached to posts in the address bar reflects the total number of posts to all the HHW boards.  The landmarks we seem to celebrate have to do with the number of posts to the Daily Discussions board.

Jed

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 05:28:59 AM »

Such an unseemly hour to be awake.  But at least it's because I'm still up, not that I woke up this early.  Just feeling Simbulanic, I suppose. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 05:57:30 AM »

Such an unseemly hour indeed.  After an entire week of getting eight to nine hours of sleep, here I am, up at five-forty-five am.  It's still dark out, for crying out loud.

Pogue: I normally don't feed the troll, but this guy has got to be stopped.  I'm not going to carry it on much further, but at least I've exposed his total insanity, and hopefully that will lead others to take his posts with a large container of salt.  Interestingly, I don't go to that other board very often.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2004, 06:09:18 AM »

Don't we have any early morning denizens to keep me company?  The singing bird is outside my window, singing a lovely version of Epiphany.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2004, 06:38:50 AM »

Morning, all

CD (Office): The Tap Dance Kid
CD (Home): By Jeeves
Tape Deck (Car): Dionne Warwick compilation tape
VCR: Last night's Apprentice
DVD: Empty

Ben

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 06:45:48 AM »

Oh, my, it's 6:44 in LA and Mr. K is awake.

Green Finch and Linnet Bird, Nightingale, Blackbird, teach him how to sing.

You may need a nap to get through the day, BK, although I'm up at 6am every day (during the week that is). Enjoy the quiet while it lasts, unless that unseemly Green Finch comes hopping along (oh, no, that's the Red, Red Robin and he comes bobbin' along)

Ben

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 06:46:49 AM »

P.S. Jed, thanks for the post number information. I knew I saw a 37,000 post number. I just assumed it was the daily discussion board. Now I know.

Jed

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 06:50:22 AM »

Oof, I am stuffed.  Being up at this hour, I decided to go fetch myself some breakfast.  Had a tasty country fried steak breakfast, but it was just too much for me, and even having left a sizable bit of food on my plate I am still well and truly stuffed.

Jed

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 06:51:33 AM »

Now I know.

And knowing is half the battle!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 07:45:07 AM »

Mawnin', mawnin', y'all. My sister Rikki's Tibetan terrier kept me up quite a lot of the night - she loves to snuggle, and if she has a thought, she just has to let me know, no matter what time it is...

Ride down was lovely, the same trees that were decked out in their frilly pink flowers three weeks ago have all gotten out their green satins - ah, the almond orchards of the central California velley! Whatta ride!

Heading over to the parents today, to help pack 'em up, move 'em out. Moving date is less than 3 weeks away, and there is 50 years' worth of STUFF in every closet, every corner, every hidden alcove of that huge house. Oy. Then to Riverside to see Performance Riverside's 1776 - a fave of mine, plus one of my friends is playing Old Rodney. Then more packing tomorrow, MAYBE a brief 3 hours off to ride out to Glendale and back before shlepping the elders to my other sister for a delayed Passover seder.

Bruce, my honey, I may not be able to get to the signing, but my heart would be there, eating macaroons with the best and brightest.
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 08:10:15 AM »

I found more proof about VALLEY OF THE DOLLS' release date. In the book MOVIE MUSICALS ON RECORD, it lists the release year as 1967.

The RECORD COLLECTORS PRICE GUIDE for MOVIE/TV SOUNDTRACK & ORIGINAL CAST albums, the release date is also listed as 1967.

How many references does this guy need. Preposterous!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2004, 08:15:28 AM »

DVD: My Favorite Year
VCR: The Band Wagon
CD: Tenacious D

What's the common bond?

I'll tell you: I'm watching all three because I'm writing something funny about the process of writing.  What I'm looking for is not the real thing, but the fantasy of what it's like to get an inspiration to write something and move it forward to amusing fruition.  So far, My Favorite Year is disappointing on this score, but I haven't finished any of the three yet.  As a songwriter, when Jack Black doesn't like the first chord his collaborator plays, I can't help laughing (Tenacious D).

Can anyone direct me to other funny fictional depictions of funny writers pounding out a funny sketch or song?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2004, 08:18:48 AM »

Friday Media Alert:

CD - PACIFIC 1860 (OCR)

Reading Noel Coward's diaries and just finished the torturous four months that this musical ran finding his at first enjoyable and then acrimonious relationship with Mary Martin and her hubby Richard Halliday really fascinating. I've had this cast CD for a couple of years and had never cracked the shrink wrap. Today, I will.

DVD - ZIEGFELD GIRL and then KISS ME KATE

DVR - last night's WILL & GRACE
TCM's two part documentary on Cecil B. DeMille

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2004, 08:23:20 AM »

Jed - Thank you for the Post Office info.

bk - Very early morning is my time of day. (a Guys and Dolls reference!)  And one of my absolute favorite lyrics (and songs)...

My time of day is the dark time
A couple of deals before dawn
When the street belongs to the cop
And the janitor with the mop
And the grocery clerks are all gone.
When the smell of the rainwashed pavement
Comes up clean, and fresh, and cold
And the streetlamp light
Fills the gutter with gold
That's my time of day
My time of day

And then the most prosaic, yet most romantic line ever...
....And you're the only doll I've ever wanted to share it with me.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 08:34:56 AM by Panni »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2004, 08:31:15 AM »

DVD:

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2004, 08:31:41 AM »

CD player:  Michael Buble's new CD
 Joanie Sommers sings Jerome Kern (produced by our own BK)

DVD:  Michale Buble in concert to go with th CD above

and Broken Hearts Club
I like boat races.

Panni

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2004, 08:32:52 AM »

Can anyone direct me to other funny fictional depictions of funny writers pounding out a funny sketch or song?
A couple of ideas:
Any number of episodes of the Dick Van Dyke show.
Neil Simon's LAUGHTER ON THE 21ST FLOOR.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »

I'm going to risk your "ewwwws" and "ughs" because I have tears from laughing so hard.

At any rate....

One Reason for Bad Breath in the Morning:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 08:47:44 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2004, 08:52:12 AM »

Good Friday one and all.  We're closed at work but Ray is working so I have one of those rare days at home when I can catch up on things I never get a chance to do like bill paying, writing e-mails and snail mail, etc.  Today I did our taxes.  I owe some Federal but am getting a refund on the state and Ray gets refunds on both.  It's times like this when Gay Marriage is really needed.  If we filed a joint return we'd be getting a much bigger refund.

I had to run over to the library for a tax return I was missing (the download for NY tax forms wasn't working) and I found it quite amusing that all the tax forms were spread out on low bookcases marked "Fiction".

CD - I recently puirchased a boxed set called "The History of Pop Radio 1920-1951.  This is a 15 Disc set for only $48 (just over $3.00 for each disc, all over 1 hour) with a real history of pop music from the period.  I'm on 1938.  Some of the songs are by the obvious people (Bob Hope and Shirley Ross doing "Thanks For the Memory" is playing now), but others are pop songs by singers you never knew did them (the preceding selection was "F. D. R. Jones" sung by Ella Fitzgerald).  An excellent set and a real bargin (thank you Michael at All Music Services).

DVD - All the new Judys.  I don't know how much I'll get through this weekend.

VHS - Nothing

Books - "The Richard Rodgers Reader" - Alter KRITZER TIME I didn't want to read any more fiction for a while (because it would have paled in comparison)  so I'm reading this collection of various writings about Rodgers, Hart & Hammerstein from books, magazines and newspapers over the years.  Very mixed, and in a couple of them I found factual errors.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2004, 09:12:28 AM »

Maya, the pic is cute but your hair doesn’t look big to me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2004, 09:15:24 AM »

MattH: The point is you could give this idiot all the references and proof in the world and he still will not ackowledge or admit he's wrong.  He is a sociopath and a pathological liar.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up