Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THINKING CAP  (Read 38366 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE THINKING CAP
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2004, 09:26:39 AM »

LOL.....well, maybe the Wisconsin newspaper is a hoax!

DRNoel - I agree with Panni, several of the episodes of the original Dick Van Dyke show deal with the writing process.  I might also mention THE COUNTRY GIRL, although it is not a good experience about putting on a show, and if you haven't seen MOON OVER BROADWAY which is a documentary about getting a show on the boards, you might check that out.  It is an eye opener!

DVD:  Giant of Metropolis with Gordon Mitchell
VHS:  STATE FAIR with Pat and Ann-Margret, etc
CD:  The Court Jester

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2004, 09:39:50 AM »

CD - STRATAS SINGS WEILL
DVD - still broken - need a new one
VCR - tape of season's finale of CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM which I watched again when DD was visiting

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2004, 09:49:24 AM »

Managed to get another hour and a half of sleep, so that made, I think, a total of four hours.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2004, 09:50:36 AM »

Pogue: I normally don't feed the troll, but this guy has got to be stopped.  I'm not going to carry it on much further, but at least I've exposed his total insanity, and hopefully that will lead others to take his posts with a large container of salt.  Interestingly, I don't go to that other board very often.

BK, I know from whence you come.  I spent the last year dealing head on with that supreme a-hole Newpoot on RATM.  Unfortunately, I was getting to the point where I was almost as much of an ass as he (but not quite--he somehow always manages to raise that bar.)  The good news is that I discovered HHW, and I think DRs Noel, td and Ludlow (if he showed up here more often) would agree that this is the better place to be.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2004, 10:15:41 AM »

Put on your thinking caps?  "I just love a good think"... said JoJo

Panni

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2004, 10:16:52 AM »

Managed to get another hour and a half of sleep, so that made, I think, a total of four hours.

That's about what I get most nights and look how bright-eyed and bushy-tailed I am. 8)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 12:14:29 PM by Panni »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2004, 10:20:02 AM »

CD player in the car:  Herbert von Karajan leading the Berlin Philharmonic in the complete symphonies of Ludvig von Beethoven.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2004, 10:27:06 AM »

I typed out my last post over an hour ago but didn't realize until just now that I didn't click the "Post" button before I left my desk.  I just spent my lunch time running around this part of the city trying to find a babka for Easter.  The two bakeries I know of around here were already out of them.  I took a chance and went into Trader Joes and they had something that they are calling a babka but it's really a cake.  It's a fake babka.  A fakeba.  I bought it anyway but I'm going to try to find some time tomorrow to hunt the bakeries of South Jersey for a real babka (with cheese or raisins.)  I don't want to have a fakeba Easter.

CD (at home):  Annie OCR.  I sometimes forget how good this show was before it started pandering to little girls and lost its bite.  There is some real anger in "We Like to Thank You, Herbert Hoover".  Nowadays, that number seems to get cut.

CD (at work) Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living In Paris OCR.  It was his birthday this week and I haven't listened to this for a while.  I've never seen a production of this show and for the life of me I have a hard time imagining how it could be staged.  Even with very talented and personable singers involved, it strikes me as a very static show.

DVD:  Another one of the Lost In Space First Season Collection disks.

VCR:  Last night's Apprentice.   I watched it last night but my nephew wanted me to tape the Spider-Man 2 preview.  

So what do all of you Apprentice-philes think about the Omarosa the Mole rumor now?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 10:30:57 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2004, 10:37:19 AM »

CD - STRATAS SINGS WEILL

DR Panni, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed indeed, another Stratas fan?  Don't you find her recording of "J'attends un navire" close to heaven?  Do you have the UNKNOWN KURT WEILL as well?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Robin

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2004, 10:42:36 AM »

Topic of the Day:

In the CD player: The Thomas Crown Affair by Michel Legrand.  It's just been re-release on Varese Sarabande, thank heaven...I missed it during the .86 nanoseconds Rykodisc had made it available.  I'm not so big on the movie, mind you, but Legrand's score is marvelous.

Also...a few discs in Naxos' American Classics series.  There's no better bargain around; great music by American composers, well-played and at six to eight bucks a disc.  I'm especially enamored of the disc of Meredith Willson's two symphonies, and discs by two of my favorite composers, Jerome Moross and Roy Harris.  

In the deeveedee player is Star Trek V: The Final Frontier--Special Edition and Carnival of Souls, the Wade Williams edition.  I'm not overly enthused about Criterion these days, so I think I'm okay with the barebones release of this one.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2004, 10:46:26 AM »

Leslie Parrish is on the Hallmark Channel on Perry Mason at 11 a.m.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Robin

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2004, 10:51:14 AM »

Oh, by the way, I went to the Film Score Monthly board to see what all the hubbub was about.  

This "Joecaps" fellow is not only an ignorant fool, he's illiterate, too.  Grammatical errors abound in his posts, and it's obvious that he has no idea what the SHIFT key is for.  Either that, or he hasn't yet evolved opposable thumbs.  

If I may wax nostalgic a moment here...there was a time, during the early days of the 'net, when internet message boards didn't have quite so many illiterate liars posting on them.  Even the FSM boards had some class.  In a way, I miss those days.  Thankfully, there are still some boards (like HHW and Scarlet Street), where there are actual, flesh-and-blood, thinking human beings posting and being heard....if I wasn't such a crotchety old atheist, I'd be thanking God.  Instead, I'll just thank BK and Richard Valley.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2004, 10:52:28 AM »

Yes, my TIVO is set.  It automatically records anything with Miss Parrish or myself.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2004, 11:34:47 AM »

Here in Montreal everything is open on Good Friday.  While everything is closed on Easter Sunday.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2004, 11:37:54 AM »

DR Dan, was the rumor that she was a mole the entire season or just last night?  I really don't believe it.  I think that is just how she is.  I really wanted to hurt her last night though.  She was such a lying witch!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2004, 11:42:28 AM »

I went to the FSM forum and read the contents as well, and in his first long post, he says that it's Eileen Wilson singing the Natalie Wood songs on the DAISY CLOVER soundtrack when it's Jackie Ward who sings them both on the soundtrack LP and in the film. Anyone who's listened and watched can hear it's the same voice.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2004, 11:46:12 AM »

RLP I just sent the pic onto a friend.  Of course you have ruined my mornings for me now (considering how often I wake up in that position).  ;D

Tomovoz thanks for the interesting Good Friday and Easter details in Australia.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2004, 11:51:01 AM »

I owe some Federal but am getting a refund on the state and Ray gets refunds on both.  It's times like this when Gay Marriage is really needed.  If we filed a joint return we'd be getting a much bigger refund.

Now I know the truth behind the government’s objections-MONEY.  It has to be right-cause nothing else makes any sense to me.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2004, 11:59:53 AM »

RLP I just heard back from my friend.  Boy did she need that laugh.  You did a good deed today.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2004, 12:06:55 PM »

DR Dan, was the rumor that she was a mole the entire season or just last night?  I really don't believe it.  I think that is just how she is.  I really wanted to hurt her last night though.  She was such a lying witch!

I think the word is that she's been a mole since the beginning.  And I think it makes some sense, especially if you add Sam to the picture.  Between the two of them, they've pulled the most outrageous crap than all of the others put together.  The only part of it that doesn't make sense is the alleged racial slur incident with Ereka.  Would Trump and Burnett risk using something like that in order to pull off a ruse?

In any case, I am completely sure that Omarosa was indeed acting as a planted saboteur last night.  The whole missing Jessica Simpson deal seemed too much of a set-up.  I'll bet we see Bill experiencing the same kind of woes next week.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2004, 12:25:39 PM »

DR Panni, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed indeed, another Stratas fan?

That's me (even though I typo-d "bushy-tailed")... I don't own THE UNKNOWN KURT WEILL. I really should. There are MANY CD's I don't own that I should. Ms. Stratas is a Toronto gal. The first house I ever owned was in the Greek neighborhood of Toronto ("the Danforth"). Great area of town. Everyone around there was very proud of her - as they should have been.
(That's probably the first time I've used the word "gal" in 20 years. Just seemed right.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2004, 12:49:59 PM »

DR Jane:  Every morning from now on, when you wake up with "cotton mouth", you'll have to wonder....

:D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 12:50:16 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2004, 12:56:55 PM »

I think the word is that she's been a mole since the beginning.  And I think it makes some sense, especially if you add Sam to the picture.  Between the two of them, they've pulled the most outrageous crap than all of the others put together.  The only part of it that doesn't make sense is the alleged racial slur incident with Ereka.  Would Trump and Burnett risk using something like that in order to pull off a ruse?

In any case, I am completely sure that Omarosa was indeed acting as a planted saboteur last night.  The whole missing Jessica Simpson deal seemed too much of a set-up.  I'll bet we see Bill experiencing the same kind of woes next week.

Well I have not read anything about her being a mole. I will go check out some Apprentice boards maybe.

But I don't believe it.  I don't think it would be fair, since Sam left early and whichever team had Omarosa would have problems.  

I don't see Trump doing this.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2004, 01:16:32 PM »

Really enjoyed the souped up surround sound on the KISS ME KATE DVD. The DVD does look so much sharper and more colorful than the laserdisc. If they do indeed recall the discs and issue enhanced for widescreen DVDs for it, it will be even sharper. I couldn't be happier.

It was also great to see Tommy Rall looking so fit in the documentary on the disc. I've always thought he was a magnificent dancer, and someone who never got credit for being so dazzling in his few Hollywood films. He should have had a star career as he could sing, dance, act, and had looks aplenty. Funny how lightning strikes for some and not for others.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2004, 01:40:09 PM »

MattH: That's the entire point - he makes these pronouncements and then refuses to admit he's made an error.  If you went in there and posted what you did here, he'd cry like a stuck pig and tell you you were wrong until you didn't know whether you were coming or going.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2004, 01:40:30 PM »

Omarosa is bad news no matter what her role.

She blatantly lied to Kwame and about Karen's phone call.  Kwame should just fire her.

How he deals with the calamity that she has engendered will determine Trump's assessment of him.

She may well have been brought back to do the very thing she's done, but she was always irresponsible and untrustworthy even in competition...a backstabbing witch of the first order.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2004, 01:42:46 PM »

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?  What a slow Good Friday we're having.

I'm getting a few annoying e-mails from people who just can't make it tomorrow.  These people (who do this every time I have a signing - same names all the time) are now going directly to the C list.  They have nothing to do, they just don't want to get off their sorry butt cheeks and be supportive.  But you can bet your behind if they had something going they would ask and expect me to be there to support them.  I don't believe that will be happening in the future.

Just ate some lunch and watched a few minutes of the Perry Mason I TIVOd.  How beautiful is Leslie Parrish?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2004, 01:45:07 PM »

The towel has been flung!

The admission of making a mistake has been made.

He looked it up in the NY Times and saw the premiere ad (December 1967) clearly stating that the LP soundtrack was available on 20th Century-Fox records.

This was done in a new thread...and he moved on to continuity for "The Sand Pebbles."
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 01:45:59 PM by RLP »

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2004, 01:45:17 PM »

Are we on page 3 yet? :(

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2004, 01:46:31 PM »

T.o.t.D.
[/u][/b]

CD player (at work):  THE MUSICAL OF MUSICALS.  What a delightful recording.  If it were allowed here at HHW, I would tell you how many times I groaned while listening to it.

Nothing else at home or in the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I was really shocked the first time I spent Holy Week in England.  When everything closed down on Good Friday, I couldn't believe it.  Then on Saturday, everything seemed back to normal, but fortunately the people at the hotel warned us ahead of time that on Easter Sunday the whole city would be shut down.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up