Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MUSIC HATH CHARMS TO SOOTHE THE SAVAGE BREAST AND BEAST  (Read 44807 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: MUSIC HATH CHARMS TO SOOTHE THE SAVAGE BREAST AND BEAST
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »

i love it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2010, 06:31:13 PM »

Kevin Bacon Wins!

Cillaliz

« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2010, 06:32:04 PM »

I'll check out Modern Family...thanks

Jane

« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »

i think matt h said they reran the pilot, darn you should have seen it.  it sets up the relationships.

Jane

« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2010, 06:38:58 PM »

i think matt h said they reran the pilot, darn you should have seen it.  it sets up the relationships.

you can catch it in-line:  http://abc.go.com/watch/modern-family/235331

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »

Thanks. I'll catch it online

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2010, 06:46:56 PM »

Think I'll go see Precious tomorrow

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »

Or maybe later in the week....I really do need to spend tomorrow finishing the project I started today. It's just too hard to get it done during the week

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »

I almost forgot about figure skating being on.  I need to start firing up for the Olympics

FJL

« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2010, 08:00:50 PM »

Quite a wonderful seminar today.  Now back to tax work.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »

YEAH GLEE!!!! Ensemble performance....oh, should I post spoilers...is anyone else even watching this?

Please! No need for spoilers. The news is all over the internet. I just logged back on and the first thig I saw was that INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS won the Film ensemble award - which I was compltetly happy with (although I haven't seen the other nominees I suspect).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2010, 08:04:18 PM »

Yes, it was rerun this past Wednesday at 8 with a new episode at 9.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2010, 08:06:46 PM »

I watched the women's short program when I went back down. The top three were the best three by far. And they showed some other notable skaters, too, which I was grateful for since some of these girls have been in the top group in years past and just bombed out in this year's short.

Our ladies, except for Rachel Flat, have been hideously inconsistent since the last Olympics. Many of them were teens and when that growth spurt hit, it totally threw them off their game and wrecked their skating.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »

Then I watched BIG BOY on the Warner Archive. It's the same transfer used in the Jolson laserdisc set which means the first half was pretty damaged and the last half looked pretty good. I'll be glad to retire that laserdisc set as soon as Warners releases MAMMY. It has been given a complete restoration, and we're just waiting for Warners to decide how to release it.

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2010, 08:11:45 PM »

Then I tuned into the women's long program championships. Really mediocre skating except from our top three women. Everyone else has peaks and valleys, but the two that will be sent to the Olympics should be able to compete with the rest of the world. I doubt anyone is going to dethrone the South Korean wunderkind who's the current world champion, but I have hopes one of our girls can reach the podium. Rachel Flatt finished 5th last year.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2010, 08:13:27 PM »

So I guess tomorrow I'll get back down to work and start watching DYNASTY - Season 4, Volume 2. There are 13 episodes in the set, so that will take me two days. I should be able to get 7 or 8 watched tomorrow and then be able to finish it up on Monday since in all likelihood John and I are not doing lunch next week.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2010, 08:22:53 PM »

Well, since I stayed up to watch the skating, I'm WAY past my bedtime, so let me close up shop here and head downstairs.

Good night!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »

I understand about the correspondence - I could, of course, just reference it and paraphrase, which is probably the safest way to do it, but there's nothing terrible in it other than Cindy castigating the then powers-that-be at Paramount, who, of course, deserved it and are now mostly dead.

If Cindy is the one who sent it, I assume she's the one who owns the correspondence and therefore all you'd need would be her permission to print or quote it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »

Today we are supposed to go hiking. In the mud, I guess.

Aren't you cheering for the rain?

der Brucer

Welcome back, Der Brucer! ;D

~~~Continued Recovery Vibes!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »

Testing, testing ----  Is this thing on?

After a very long and horrible time, I am finely HOME!!!!!!

Welcome back, Danise!! :D

~~~Continued Vibes for a Hospitably Habitable House!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2010, 08:41:35 PM »

I'll check out Modern Family...thanks

I love it, too.  There are several of us here who watch the show.  I think you'll like it very much. :)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »

So...

Earlier tonight, I went to The Metropolitan Opera to see their current production of Verdi's Simon Boccanegra with Placido Domingo in the title role - singing a baritone role.  It was quite interesting to hear him sing a role that never came close to challenging the upper part of his range, but, all in all, the experiment(?) worked.  The rest of the cast was in very good voice tonight too, and James Levine and that orchestra really produced some beautiful sounds throughout.

As I mentioned earlier, it turned out that one of my former students and friend, Patrick Carfizzi, was singing "Paolo", the villain, in this production.  During the first intermission, I happened to run into his brother in the aisles, and so I was able to be added to "the list" to head backstage afterwards.  It was great getting to see Patrick again, as well as his brother Chris and his fiancée and future mother-in-law who had flown up from Ft. Lauderdale to see the opera.

I also got a kick out of watching all the women swoon over Placido Domingo, and Domingo just eating all that feminine attention right up.

Once we made it past the autograph and photograph seekers at the stage door, we headed across the street to Cafe Fiorello for some post-opera desserts.  Their "Double Bucket" Chocolate Mousse... WOW!

Oh....dang! I figured yours had already let out after So. Pacific so I walked back to the hotel. And on the way I stopped at the freshmarket place and got some canned ready to eat tuna, some rye crisps and apples. Had I known mousse was possible...

Maybe it's a good thing I DIDN'T know!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »

So...

Earlier tonight, I went to The Metropolitan Opera to see their current production of Verdi's Simon Boccanegra with Placido Domingo in the title role - singing a baritone role.  It was quite interesting to hear him sing a role that never came close to challenging the upper part of his range, but, all in all, the experiment(?) worked.  The rest of the cast was in very good voice tonight too, and James Levine and that orchestra really produced some beautiful sounds throughout.

As I mentioned earlier, it turned out that one of my former students and friend, Patrick Carfizzi, was singing "Paolo", the villain, in this production.  During the first intermission, I happened to run into his brother in the aisles, and so I was able to be added to "the list" to head backstage afterwards.  It was great getting to see Patrick again, as well as his brother Chris and his fiancée and future mother-in-law who had flown up from Ft. Lauderdale to see the opera.

I also got a kick out of watching all the women swoon over Placido Domingo, and Domingo just eating all that feminine attention right up.

Once we made it past the autograph and photograph seekers at the stage door, we headed across the street to Cafe Fiorello for some post-opera desserts.  Their "Double Bucket" Chocolate Mousse... WOW!

Oh....dang! I figured yours had already let out after So. Pacific so I walked back to the hotel. And on the way I stopped at the freshmarket place and got some canned ready to eat tune, some rye crisps and apples. Had I known mousse was possible...
DR EDISAURUS my condolences to your friend.

Thank you, JRand. She has been my best friend for 37 years so her family is my family. Her other brother lives within walking distance of my house.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2010, 08:52:52 PM »

DR edi, condolences to your best friend on her loss.  Hugs of comfort to you.

Thanks for the hugs, Jane. Especially helpful today.

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2010, 08:52:58 PM »

My condolences, too, Edi

Edisaurus

« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2010, 08:53:04 PM »

Hey! There's Der B!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »

Jack Litman died today. He was an incredible criminal defense lawyer, a great guy and a friend through the NACDL. He will be missed.
You may remember him for defending the preppy killer   http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/nyregion/24litman.html

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2010, 09:10:28 PM »

Yay! DR Danise is back among the flock. This is fantastic news!

I had a wonderful time visiting Bruce Pomahac; we watched the Jean Simmons-Spencer Tacy film THE ACTRESS, based on Ruth Gordon's autobiographical comedy AGES AGO. It's quite delightful. I had read Miss gordon's biography so i was wise to a lot of the story but the fictionalizations to make a play were very interesting. There's one sequence that looks as though Meredith Willson lifted it for THE MUSIC MAN and the film has the same look as THE MUSIC MAN and MEET ME IN ST LOUIS, although the Jones family in Massachusetts is in a lower class income than the family in St Louis. Jean Simmons is beautiful and wonderful as 17 year-old Ruth Gordon, as are Teresa Wright and Spencer Tracy as her parents, and everyone else, especially the wonderful character people and the two young actresses playing her high school friends. I believe it's Tony Perkins' first movie.

Then we watched the silent film version of SHOW BOAT with Laura La Plante and Joseph Schildkraut. Neither of us had ever seen it, and it's amazing. Much more faithful to the novel, it's a very powerful and beautiful film.

And now I'm home and ready to pass out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:26:48 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: January 23, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »

Back from a very nice dinner partay - interesting guests and excellent food.  I ate too much.  Now I'm going to smooth out what I wrote today, and then print out the pages so they're ready for Xeroxing in the morning.

Edisaurus

« Reply #209 on: January 23, 2010, 09:28:47 PM »

TOD: Well, about 12 hours ago, when the producer was making me cry in our meeting by yelling at me about some perceived slight that I had nothing to do with I would have said THIS job.

The film before this was completely miserable for about 9 months, so that was actually worse than my previous worst job, which was cleaning houses after they were built, often before the plumbing was functioning and there was water (which didn't deter the construction workers, if you get my drift).

I guess some jobs are sh#tty in different ways.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up