Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TONGUE  (Read 51460 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: TONGUE
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »

Oh...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »

Then I looked at all the bonus features for AMELIA. There was no commentary so that saved a ton of time. There were 10 deleted scenes, a couple of EPK featurettes where everything praises everyone else on the cast and crew. There was one interesting featurette on the three Earhart planes that were reconstructed for the movie - the Friendship, the Vega, and the Electra. And there were 7 newsreel clips that featured highlights of Earhart's career.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »

When my Little French Boy and I travelled around Quebec, we stopped for diner at a restaurant whose specialty was "cod tongue". We asked the surly old French waitress what it was. She looked at us as if we were idiots. "Why, it is ze tong...of ze cod."

We ordered it but were giggling all through dinner. I think we were very tired.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2010, 01:30:21 PM »

What do people think of the nominations?

I'm disappointed that Stanley Tucci wasn't nominated for JULIE & JULIA, but at least he got one for THE LOVELY BONES.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2010, 01:30:55 PM »

I have no taste for tongue.  :o

Matt H.

« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »

What do people think of the nominations?

I'm disappointed that Stanley Tucci wasn't nominated for JULIE & JULIA, but at least he got one for THE LOVELY BONES.

I'm glad he was nominated for something. He's deserved recognition for a long time. Sadly, that Oscar is already spoken for, I fear. In fact, I think all the acting Oscars are already pretty much decided.

Matt H.

« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »

Then I skimmed through both ATWT and OLTL. Nothing of interest in either one, and nothing in the previews of ATWT either.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »

TOD

Like:

Ella Fitzgerald: Mack The Knife
from the Live In Berlin album where she goes up on the lyrics and improvises

I LOVE this recording!!  I got the CD reissue with four previously unreleased tracks. 

I wonder if I actually still have it. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »

I spent my remaining minutes rewatching the ladies final skate at the national championships. I went back to the start of the broadcast with the girls in the second tier of competition. None of them skated clean programs.

Laura

« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »

And the bird pix of yesterday. One of them I've never heard of much less have any idea how to pronounce!

FANE-o-PEP-la
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »

Looked at the technical nominations. Glad to see two songs from THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG get nominated, and one of those new songs for NINE (though I haven't heard any of them, of course).

Delighted that UP scored so well in important categories.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »

I guess I'll hop off-line now and get some writing done.

WBBL.

KevinH

« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2010, 03:22:42 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR Iris!

KevinH

« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR Ben!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2010, 03:30:02 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR BEN!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ODR IRIS!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »

BK - Before you publish your book, you really should have an attorney read it.  Telling the truth doesn't mean you can't be sued.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2010, 03:45:40 PM »

DR JANE I am glad you enjoyed A TALE OF TWO CITIES with Mr Bogarde.....as I wrote, Edna May Oliver was a more entertaining Miss Pross.....and Lucille LaVerne WAS Madame DeFarge in the Colman version .... but the leads in the 1958 version were outstanding.....

Marie Versini who played Marie was beautiful & very moving.  We missed the opening narration from the novel.  it was distracting enough Darnay did not look like Carton, they could at least been closer in height, unless i'm forgetting something from the novel. 

it has been way too long since i've seen the Ronald Colman version to compare.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »

For fans of entertaining films, TCM will air the 1944 Paramount "ghost" story "The Uninvited" Thursday from 5-7 p.m. PST (8-9 p.m., EST)

The film stars Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey.  There is a supporting character in the film called "Stella"...and it is she who is the "Stella" in the song "Stella By Starlight."  Victor Young wrote the score and the theme that became "Stella By Starlight" when Ned Washington provided lyrics after the film was released.  The song does not appear in the film and it does not actually reflect anything germane about the film or the character.  Milland has a line in the film while he plays a piano.  He says his composition is about "Stella by starlight".

It's a fun film...certainly worthy of your time and attention.  And it's a rare occasion for this film to air on TV.

I believe I set my DVR to record this. It is a movie that I have somehow missed.

Don't watch it alone, Mikey, you might get scared.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2010, 03:57:32 PM »

I'm not worried about being sued - first off, not that many people are going to read it.  Second, if David Cassidy can say he slept with Susan Dey then I can talk about our little fling.  If the two people I diss (and not in a terrible way - I just recount the two incidents) take exception, then they can take a look in the mirror and try to figure out why they're the kind of people they are.  I've read a LOT of biographies AND autobiographies filled with much, MUCH worse things (anyone read Mr. Laurents' tome?).  No one sues.  This is a free country as I understand it.  If I was telling specious lies then sure, someone could do something. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2010, 03:59:06 PM »

I've written seventeen pages so far.  I had to get through the treacherous territory.  I knew it would be difficult emotionally but I think I did it okay and it's really short and to the point - I don't dwell on it or get too maudlin or icky, I think.  But it was like having to write the end of Kritzer Time - just made me very emotional.  We'll see if muse Margaret likes it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »

We actually talked about changing the names of the two people who might take exception.  It certainly would be easy, but Margaret's point is, it makes me look like I'm scared to mention them - they did what they did, that's the reality.  They didn't kill anybody or rob a bank - they both, in their own ways, behaved selfishly and I thought the stories were interesting enough to relate. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2010, 04:01:42 PM »

I think I'll take a break right now.  I'm thinking I'm in the final fifty to seventy pages of the book.  And I'm thinking I may just want to finish by Saturday night.  We'll see if that happens.

Jane

« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »

Regarding the nominations: I've only seen one or two nominees this year. It was just not a movie-going year for us. I do feel SO SAD that Clint wasn't nominated for best director or picture for INVICTUS. SO SAD!

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »

And the bird pix of yesterday. One of them I've never heard of much less have any idea how to pronounce!

Rob-in
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2010, 04:16:13 PM »

We actually talked about changing the names of the two people who might take exception.  It certainly would be easy, but Margaret's point is, it makes me look like I'm scared to mention them - they did what they did, that's the reality.  They didn't kill anybody or rob a bank - they both, in their own ways, behaved selfishly and I thought the stories were interesting enough to relate. 

If you want the story to be an autobiography that i wouldn't change the names.  I guess then that these are people that others would have heard of, otherwise i would just mention the first name (since the last name would not mean anything except to the actual person).

Jennifer

« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »

My grandmother used to make tongue when i was little. I remember my family eating it, but i never would.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »

I sent Kristine an apology for missing her film tonight, I had a deelish dinner, and I'm staying in.  I'll sleep late tomorrow moring and see if I can shake this damned cold.

I think I will start organizing my tax receipts tonight within various categories, like separating the utilities into Con Ed, AT&T, Time Warner, etc.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »

I don't know how any of you feel about such things, but there is a "review" (!!! and that's being kind!!!) of the current PBS airing of "Emma" at Amazon.com that I find utterly imbecilic in context with the flaws the reviewer finds with the production:

Brings to mind the idiotic comments of a well known critic regarding Brendon Fraser in "Gods and Monsters"  The critic complained Fraser wasn't attractive (appealing, something like that) enough to be someone's obsession.

Aside from the fact i totally disagreed I've seen far stranger attractions & thought it very petty of the critic.

Jane

« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »

My grandmother used to make tongue when i was little. I remember my family eating it, but i never would.

so did my mother.  we wouldn't it it until it was sliced, out of our view.  i only ate it served hot with cabbage, never as a sandwich.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up