Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TONGUE  (Read 51172 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: TONGUE
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »

I don't know how any of you feel about such things, but there is a "review" (!!! and that's being kind!!!) of the current PBS airing of "Emma" at Amazon.com that I find utterly imbecilic in context with the flaws the reviewer finds with the production:

Here is that review:

In the most recent TV adaptations of various Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, and Bronte novels, a trend seems to have developed, that of poor casting. For example, the otherwise excellent 2006 BBC version of JANE EYRE was marred - if not ruined - by the casting of an actress who is endowed with extremely distracting, John Merrick (AKA the "Elephant Man")-like lips in the titular role; the 2009 ITV adaptation of WUTHERING HEIGHTS featured a Heathcliff who has a cartoonishly small mouth and lips that are far too full for a man of his complexion (also, the Catherine Earnshaw character was portrayed by an actress with a very masculine jawline); the lead actress in the 2008 version of TESS OF THE D'URBERVILLES has a long lower face, lips that are far too thick for someone of her pigmentation, and a voice so shrill that it can puncture eardrums; and the 2007 ITV remake of MANSFIELD PARK starred Billie Piper, who has also has freakishly full lips for someone that fair-skinned and a mouth that is cartoonishly large and spaced unusually far from her mouth (compared to the length of her chin) (NOTE: I neither expect nor desire indisputably beautiful actresses to get all of the leading roles, BUT there is a BIG difference between a "normal-looking" face [be it beautiful, plain, or whatever] and a funny-looking one, which tends, as I alluded to above, to distract the viewer from the story and the performances). And, even when producers and casting directors don't select lead actors who possess freaky-looking facial features, they still somehow botch it by casting actors who simply do not fit their roles in regard to appearance, as was illustrated by the actors chosen to play the lead parts in the 2007 ITV adaptation of PERSUASION (Anne Eliot is supposed to be a woman who was pretty in her youth, but is now well past her bloom yet the actress who portrays her certainly doesn't look like she's EVER been pretty and Captain Wentworth is played by a "pretty boy" whose face certainly doesn't look like it's been weathered by years spent at sea).

Such is the problem with the recent remake of Jane Austen's EMMA: the actress in the title role is, once again, sporting lips that are far too full for a woman with such fair skin and has an absolutely crazed look in her eyes whenever she's animated (she also appears to be more than a few years too old for the role) while this version of Knightly comes across as a priggish, boyish wimp, which is definitely not what Austen had in mind. Indeed, the casting of this film is very poor across the board (even Michael Gambon, who I've enjoyed in several other movies, seems out of place here). There are, of course, many other problems with this EMMA, several of which have been noted by my fellow reviewers.

Fortunately, poeple who would like to see EMMA on DVD can always purchase the 1996 ITV version, which though abbreviated, is more or less true to the book AND is very well cast and acted, starting with Kate Beckinsale as Emma and Mark Strong as Knightly. And, not only is it a much better adaptation than the latest one, but it's also sold here at Amazon for a lot less. Buy it.

The shallowness of the individual purporting to preach what characters should look like -- even suggesting that one's skin tone determines an appropriate degree of plumpness in the lips -- suggests a very disturbed and disturbing psyche (and there's a hint of racism in there, as well).

I don't know whether to accept it as a sincere representation of a disturbed mind...or as a joke, which it ultimately is.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:22:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »

Page 5 "Disturbia" Dance.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Laura

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2010, 11:25:29 AM »

Today I went for a walk. It was just to Walgreens. So I saw nothing of interest.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »

extremely odd review.

JMK I do not recall the Mrs. Theodore Geisel story & enjoyed it.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2010, 11:27:09 AM »

time to do my stretches & exercises before i take a walk.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2010, 11:27:45 AM »

I've been up since nine, but had to call Apple to discuss some endless problems I've been having with Time Machine and other weirdnesses that have been going on.  I got a really nice gal and we went through some things and then she had me nuke two cache folders.  That made me nervous, but she assured me there would be two new cache folders to replace it.  We did it, restarted the computer and I must say that everything is now running much quicker and the Time Machine backups are working properly now.  So, maybe something corrupt was in those cache folders.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2010, 11:28:51 AM »

Since that all took about an hour, I then went right to work, smoothing out yesterday's writing, which took quite a while since I'd done twenty pages.  I just wrote two new pages and I think I'll go grab a quick sandwich and then really buckle down Winsocki and do at least ten pages.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »

I've been up since nine, but had to call Apple to discuss some endless problems I've been having with Time Machine and other weirdnesses that have been going on.  I got a really nice gal and we went through some things and then she had me nuke two cache folders.  That made me nervous, but she assured me there would be two new cache folders to replace it.  We did it, restarted the computer and I must say that everything is now running much quicker and the Time Machine backups are working properly now.  So, maybe something corrupt was in those cache folders.

bk - Deleting the cache folders is always safe.  They're basically like a very(!) low-level back-up, but not even that.  -It sounds like you may have had a Time Machine backup that got interrupted somehow along the line.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2010, 11:34:47 AM »

Happy Groundhog Day!

Laura

« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »

They told me that was a groundhog. I have to take "their" word for it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »

I believe DRs Ginny, George and elmore may get a "special" chuckle out of this skit from the most recent "SNL"

Barnes and Noble - The hidden history behind the bookstore

;)

I did see that...it was cute. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:48 AM »

It is a groundhog, believe me, I know.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2010, 11:59:21 AM »

For fans of entertaining films, TCM will air the 1944 Paramount "ghost" story "The Uninvited" Thursday from 5-7 p.m. PST (8-9 p.m., EST)

The film stars Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey.  There is a supporting character in the film called "Stella"...and it is she who is the "Stella" in the song "Stella By Starlight."  Victor Young wrote the score and the theme that became "Stella By Starlight" when Ned Washington provided lyrics after the film was released.  The song does not appear in the film and it does not actually reflect anything germane about the film or the character.  Milland has a line in the film while he plays a piano.  He says his composition is about "Stella by starlight".

It's a fun film...certainly worthy of your time and attention.  And it's a rare occasion for this film to air on TV.

Oh! Oh! Oh! "Stella by Starlight!" Can someone please burn me a DVD??????????
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »

I don't know how any of you feel about such things, but there is a "review" (!!! and that's being kind!!!) of the current PBS airing of "Emma" at Amazon.com that I find utterly imbecilic in context with the flaws the reviewer finds with the production:

Here is that review:

In the most recent TV adaptations of various Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, and Bronte novels, a trend seems to have developed, that of poor casting. For example, the otherwise excellent 2006 BBC version of JANE EYRE was marred - if not ruined - by the casting of an actress who is endowed with extremely distracting, John Merrick (AKA the "Elephant Man")-like lips in the titular role; the 2009 ITV adaptation of WUTHERING HEIGHTS featured a Heathcliff who has a cartoonishly small mouth and lips that are far too full for a man of his complexion (also, the Catherine Earnshaw character was portrayed by an actress with a very masculine jawline); the lead actress in the 2008 version of TESS OF THE D'URBERVILLES has a long lower face, lips that are far too thick for someone of her pigmentation, and a voice so shrill that it can puncture eardrums; and the 2007 ITV remake of MANSFIELD PARK starred Billie Piper, who has also has freakishly full lips for someone that fair-skinned and a mouth that is cartoonishly large and spaced unusually far from her mouth (compared to the length of her chin) (NOTE: I neither expect nor desire indisputably beautiful actresses to get all of the leading roles, BUT there is a BIG difference between a "normal-looking" face [be it beautiful, plain, or whatever] and a funny-looking one, which tends, as I alluded to above, to distract the viewer from the story and the performances). And, even when producers and casting directors don't select lead actors who possess freaky-looking facial features, they still somehow botch it by casting actors who simply do not fit their roles in regard to appearance, as was illustrated by the actors chosen to play the lead parts in the 2007 ITV adaptation of PERSUASION (Anne Eliot is supposed to be a woman who was pretty in her youth, but is now well past her bloom yet the actress who portrays her certainly doesn't look like she's EVER been pretty and Captain Wentworth is played by a "pretty boy" whose face certainly doesn't look like it's been weathered by years spent at sea).

Such is the problem with the recent remake of Jane Austen's EMMA: the actress in the title role is, once again, sporting lips that are far too full for a woman with such fair skin and has an absolutely crazed look in her eyes whenever she's animated (she also appears to be more than a few years too old for the role) while this version of Knightly comes across as a priggish, boyish wimp, which is definitely not what Austen had in mind. Indeed, the casting of this film is very poor across the board (even Michael Gambon, who I've enjoyed in several other movies, seems out of place here). There are, of course, many other problems with this EMMA, several of which have been noted by my fellow reviewers.

Fortunately, poeple who would like to see EMMA on DVD can always purchase the 1996 ITV version, which though abbreviated, is more or less true to the book AND is very well cast and acted, starting with Kate Beckinsale as Emma and Mark Strong as Knightly. And, not only is it a much better adaptation than the latest one, but it's also sold here at Amazon for a lot less. Buy it.

The shallowness of the individual purporting to preach what characters should look like -- even suggesting that one's skin tone determines an appropriate degree of plumpness in the lips -- suggests a very disturbed and disturbing psyche (and there's a hint of racism in there, as well).

I don't know whether to accept it as a sincere representation of a disturbed mind...or as a joke, which it ultimately is.

DR Ron Pulliam, where did you find this? What a moron! He cannot even spell Knightley correctly. He clearly has a facial problem, so I would suspect he's a troll of some kind.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »

DR JANE I am glad you enjoyed A TALE OF TWO CITIES with Mr Bogarde.....as I wrote, Edna May Oliver was a more entertaining Miss Pross.....and Lucille LaVerne WAS Madame DeFarge in the Colman version .... but the leads in the 1958 version were outstanding.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »

How many episodes of SPARTACUS have been aired on STARZ?

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »

For fans of entertaining films, TCM will air the 1944 Paramount "ghost" story "The Uninvited" Thursday from 5-7 p.m. PST (8-9 p.m., EST)

The film stars Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey.  There is a supporting character in the film called "Stella"...and it is she who is the "Stella" in the song "Stella By Starlight."  Victor Young wrote the score and the theme that became "Stella By Starlight" when Ned Washington provided lyrics after the film was released.  The song does not appear in the film and it does not actually reflect anything germane about the film or the character.  Milland has a line in the film while he plays a piano.  He says his composition is about "Stella by starlight".

It's a fun film...certainly worthy of your time and attention.  And it's a rare occasion for this film to air on TV.

I believe I set my DVR to record this. It is a movie that I have somehow missed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »

How many episodes of SPARTACUS have been aired on STARZ?

Two.

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »

Today I went for a walk. It was just to Walgreens. So I saw nothing of interest.

You could have snapped a shot of their Valentine's Day candy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »

Oh! Oh! Oh! "Stella by Starlight!" Can someone please burn me a DVD??????????

There was a small supplement attached to the New York Times' Magazine this week with a highlights listing of TCM's 31 Days of Oscar®.  I made sure to go through the list and set my DVR accordingly.  And then when I pulled up the Full Schedule*, well...

*That's a PDF file. -And the site has LOTS of Flash.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »

And now...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »

DR JRand59. last night at the concert I met a friend's roommate Zach, and I kept thinking he looked really familiar. It was tenor Zachary Stains, our favorite operatic Hercules! I guess I didn't recognize him dressed and without a blond wig.

He's very funny and charming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2010, 12:30:14 PM »

And here he is dressed.

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »

Back from a solo trip to Trenton, OH, to the jeweler for a watch battery and to the grocery store.  I am exhausted.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2010, 12:32:59 PM »

Hercules is someone's room mate - only in NYC!

I have downloaded the first two episodes, so I have them all.....once I have a few, I will burn them to a DVD.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2010, 12:33:23 PM »

Was ERCOLE mentioned?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2010, 12:35:49 PM »

What do people think of the nominations?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »

HA!

And I just happened to run into Mr. Stains yesterday afternoon!

<cue the spooky music>
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2010, 12:36:08 PM »

Back from a sandwich and no fries, and shall now continue my writing ways.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »

Here is an interesting thing I just discovered about Word - once you get over 100,000 words it doesn't display the word count anymore - you actually have to click on that section of the task bar at the bottom to see how many words you've written.  Which may tell you that I have crossed the 100,000 word line.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up