Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AT ONE WITH THE WORLD  (Read 44003 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: AT ONE WITH THE WORLD
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! The appointment lasted forever but the Dr does not think Ihave any rheumatoid problems. Curly and Moe, the lab workers, could not find a vein on Larry that worked; I was ounctured many times for a lot of blood. It took forever and Larry was not amused by the other Stooges.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2010, 09:02:13 AM »

Cranberries!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »

I would rather eat ground glass than sit through a Super Bowl game.

Sorry, I just find football and the attendant worship of a stupid f*****g game played with a leather ball to be all out of proportion to reality.

Ben, I'm with you there!  I'll be finding other activities to pass the time.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2010, 09:10:04 AM »

I watched "The Uninvited" yesterday evening and recorded it onto DVD-R as a I watched.

It has been YEARS since I last saw it and I had forgotten how large a part Gail Russell played in it.  It's quite a fun film for me to watch.

And Cornelia Otis Skinner was QUITE the Sapphic nightmare as Miss Holloway.   How FUN was she!!??!!

I must confess I love it most of all for the terrific Victor Young score...particularly that main theme.  At times, it seems at odds with what is being portrayed on screen.  For its time (1944), it certainly wasn't the "typical" ghost story/mystery score.

I wrote a remake of this fifteen years ago.  Ms. Holloway's sapphic side became a bit more pronounced.  Needless to say, it never got made.  Though I relied more heavily on the original book more so than the film, I realized mid-way through, remaking such an iconic film was not a good idea.  "Why do they always remake our good films?  Why don't they remake our bad ones?"  -- John Huston --

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2010, 09:10:12 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! The appointment lasted forever but the Dr does not think Ihave any rheumatoid problems. Curly and Moe, the lab workers, could not find a vein on Larry that worked; I was ounctured many times for a lot of blood. It took forever and Larry was not amused by the other Stooges.

Larry, I feel your pain (literally).  I also have had horrible phlebotomists, so many in fact that I kind of have a Pavlovian response now whenever I have to be "pricked" (not a euphemism).  The funny thing is the last several times I've had blood drawn or an IV inserted, they've gotten it on the first try.  It still freaks me out.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »

BK, what's happening with Mystery & Imagination Bookstore?  I'm distressed to hear they are having troubles.  One of the last great independent bookstores around.

They have been having problems for quite awhile.  Too bad, because they are very nice people.

Druxy, Malcolm and Christine are delightful people and they helped built my book collection over the years.  Alas, their problems in that business are not unique.  Every time I return to London, it seems another independent bookseller has bit the dust.  A section of Charing Cross Road that once was nothing but bookstores is now littered with coffee shops and American food franchises.  Why does the street need another Starbucks or Quiznos if there is no reason to go down it to any interesting shops?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2010, 09:16:18 AM »

BK, what's happening with Mystery & Imagination Bookstore?  I'm distressed to hear they are having troubles.  One of the last great independent bookstores around.

They have been having problems for quite awhile.  Too bad, because they are very nice people.

Druxy, Malcolm and Christine are delightful people and they helped built my book collection over the years.  Alas, their problems in that business are not unique.  Every time I return to London, it seems another independent bookseller has bit the dust.  A section of Charing Cross Road that once was nothing but bookstores is now littered with coffee shops and American food franchises.  Why does the street need another Starbucks or Quiznos if there is no reason to go down it to any interesting shops?

I'm wondering how much longer the Larry Edmunds Bookshop is going to be around.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »

Yesterday afternoon I booked myself a room at the Hampton Inn in Amherst for two nights.

I hope the hotel is quiet and you sleep well.

Good luck at the doctor's!!

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2010, 09:40:23 AM »

Larry, I feel your pain (literally).  I also have had horrible phlebotomists, so many in fact that I kind of have a Pavlovian response now whenever I have to be "pricked" (not a euphemism).  The funny thing is the last several times I've had blood drawn or an IV inserted, they've gotten it on the first try.  It still freaks me out.  :)

Add me to the list of difficult phlebotomy subjects - I especially hate it when the technicians talk about it while trying to find a vein.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »

Jennifer I have only been to one Super Bowl party, and even then I didn't watch it.  We were in L.A. with Craig so we hosted a family party at my brother's house so Craig could watch.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »

dr elmore, guess i should amend my statement to good blood work result vibes!!

Jane

« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2010, 09:53:07 AM »

from Ginny:
Thanks for the insurance company vibes, all!  One of their reasons for the denial was that I "declined to learn medication therapy that can be taught to a non-skilled patient or caregiver."  Yes, I did turn my nose up at the idea of giving myself injections in my stomach - who wouldn't?

Did the insurance cover the injections last time?  Did anyone make the same offer this time?  I think you have a case since injections are usually short time.  Have you already switched to pills?

DR Vixmom ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:06 AM »

Shayne, I believe I gave Shannon Stoeke his first professional job - but it wasn't Godspell, it's on Prime Time Musicals.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »

Mystery and Imagination sent out an eBlast saying they needed their loyal customers to come in and take advantage of their 35% off sale because they were having trouble meeting all their January obligations.  The sad part is, no one cares anymore, unless it's a bookstore where they can have some coffee and sit and read things for free and only choose from the larder of crap that's released today.  I was in Vroman's last night and looking at all the latest fiction books and it is really shocking that the book trade has turned into what motion pictures have turned into. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  I had a lovely telephonic call from muse Margaret.  She loved the last 100 pages of the book, but read them quickly last night knowing we'd be talking this morning.  So, she's going to read them again because there were just a couple of things she wanted to be sure were okay.  She already found the one thing that was bothering me and I just asked her to look for a place where I might add what we both feel is missing.  It would just be one short paragraph but it's really necessary.  But the two most pleasing things for me was that she thought the section I'd been most worried about was perfect and she said she would not change one word of the epilogue.

Ben

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2010, 10:04:02 AM »

I'm listening to the Studio Recording of Showboat with Miss cook and Mr. Raitt. It may not be definitive but it holds a place in my heart because it was one of the first recordings of Showboat I ever heard and being an acolyte in the Church of Barbara Cook I love to hear her sing these tunes.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »

BK, I agree about the book trade.  I was in an area Borders awhile back and, even given its limited stock, it wasn't as varied and good as it had been a year before.

Of course, I'm partly guilty as I do a lot of my book buying on the internet these days, but that's because I can't find what I want in stores anymore.  But I sure do miss the days of genteel browsing and those happy, unexpected discoveries.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »

Also in the amusing department: I think I mentioned that I'd had a telephonic call with someone who appears in the book, just to get a timeline right.  And that she became very worried about what I might have written.  And then she asked if muse Margaret could come to lunch today.  And then did she have muse Margaret's correct phone number?  Like I didn't know what was in her head.  So, as I knew she would, she called muse Margaret last night and went on and on, because she knows the only person who can get me to change something in these books is muse Margaret.  Others can make suggestions and comments, all of which I take seriously and all of which I discuss with Margaret, but only if she says okay does something change. 

But this gal has always been a controlling and manipulative person so I knew she'd do this, thinking if she could convince Margaret to speak to me that I might change things.  Unfortunately for her, she doesn't know muse Margaret.  Happily, Margaret had finished the book so she'd read all the stuff about this person, which really if you add up all the paragraphs in which she's mentioned is maybe two or three pages total out of 526.  This person said to Margaret, "I wasn't a very good partner" and in that one sentence you knew how petrified she was about what I might write.

But what she fails to realize is that the book isn't about her.  And that part of her is not in the book at all.  As Margaret told her "You know, I was very close with Bruce during that whole thing and he never told me anything bad about you, just that he loved you and that it wasn't working out."  And then she told her that she comes off glowingly in the book, and that is correct.  The only one who comes off a little poorly in that section is me, because the truth of the matter is, I was in a very bad place and that caused me to behave poorly, which probably exacerbated her problems. 

Lunch today will be very interesting.  I will not discuss the book at all, other than to say I don't think there's anything in there that will bother her but if there is there's nothing I can or will do about it.  The book is an honest, truthful look at one person's then-life.  Most of the time I'm not even interpreting events I'm just saying what they were. 

I will also tell her that if she were writing a book that I'd hope she would be as gentle as I was, but if she wasn't, that would just be too bad for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »

I'm listening to the Studio Recording of Showboat with Miss cook and Mr. Raitt. It may not be definitive but it holds a place in my heart because it was one of the first recordings of Showboat I ever heard and being an acolyte in the Church of Barbara Cook I love to hear her sing these tunes.

She's better on the studio cast than on the Lincoln Center recording, although the Lincoln Center has Constance Towers singing rings around the pathetic Julie of Anita Darian(?). I like a lot of that Columbia/SONY recording: it was the first to include the Act One Finale.

Laura

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2010, 10:54:21 AM »

The youth is working very hard, and we are going to get some lunch. I bet you are all so excited I can now update from the church with these very exciting bits of news.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »

Yes I am Laura :)

KevinH

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »

Loving the Finian's Rainbow CD!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2010, 11:18:42 AM »

Here's "Evaline McCook" first line of lyric:

Second line:

KevinH

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »

Federal government offices  (in Washington, DC) closed 4 hours early today in anticipation of the big snowstorm.   It's been snowing for a couple of hours, but it's not really sticking on the streets yet.  We're expecting up to 2 inches an hour after 7 pm and the expected total is now 20-30 inches. 

Jane

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2010, 11:27:15 AM »

Kevin, thanks for the report.  My son in MD now has a contract job.  I just wrote to see if he has been getting to work.  He has to drive some famously horribly dangerous road to get there.  Not what a mother wants to hear!

Jane

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2010, 11:31:19 AM »

I would rather eat ground glass than sit through a Super Bowl game.

Sorry, I just find football and the attendant worship of a stupid f*****g game played with a leather ball to be all out of proportion to reality.

Ben, I'm with you there!  I'll be finding other activities to pass the time.

LOL, reminds me of the time Bryan almost had his car towed in Ann Arbor because he didn't know it was a game day.  They expect you to know this in Ann Arbor.  The signs only say no parking on game day.  He heard the band begin playing and ran back to his car just before the tow truck hooked up his car & was very lucky the guy was nice & didn't continue.

KevinH

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »

Jane--apparently the driving is okay right now but rush hour is several hours early

Jane

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »

Thanks Kevin.  Maybe is rush hour drive home will be shorter. 

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2010, 11:51:27 AM »

Here's "Evaline McCook" first line of lyric:

Second line:

Larry, I personally think it's definitely "her switch was" for the first three words, which, per my post yesterday, makes sense for a farmgirl.  I need to really look at that fourth word, though.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2010, 11:51:53 AM »

So far, our SNOWPOCALYPSE seems to be more of a RAIN-O-RAMA.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up