Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL HAIL THE HAIL  (Read 17094 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ALL HAIL THE HAIL
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:08:41 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were hale and filled with hail, and now it is time for you to post until the hale cows come home from being pelted with the hail.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ALL HAIL THE HAIL
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:09:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: DISPORT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:14:42 AM »

As promised, the new Kritzerland release - a fantastic two-fer, two scores on one very long CD, both by Kritzerland favorite Ernest Gold.  You know the routine - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping paid directly via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.  Be sure to put the album title in the invoice.

Kritzerland is proud to present a new limited edition CD soundtrack – two great scores on one great CD:

CROSS OF IRON and GOOD LUCK, MISS WYCKOFF
Music Composed and Conducted by Ernest Gold

In 1977, Ernest Gold wrote one of his finest scores for Sam Peckinpah’s searing war film, Cross Of Iron.   The film starred James Coburn, Maximilian Schell, James Mason and David Warner.  Cross Of Iron encompassed many of the themes consistent with Peckinpah’s best work: betrayal, hatred of authority, redemption in the face of catastrophic adversity.  Gold’s music brilliantly accompanies Peckinpah’s memorable images – martial music intertwined with innocent children’s singing, a great and powerful theme for the James Coburn character, Steiner, and tremendous dramatic scoring throughout.  In a way, it was almost a final burst of glory for both Peckinpah and Gold.

Two years later, Gold wrote the score for Good Luck, Miss Wyckoff, a strange movie adapted from the William Inge novel of the same name.  Set in the fictional town of Freedom, Kansas, book and film tell the story of Evelyn Wyckoff, a lonely, depressed 35-year-old high school teacher, who is raped and then begins to have regular assignations with her attacker.  Audiences and critics of the time weren’t having any of it.  However, the one clearly successful aspect of the film is Gold’s score, which features one of his most haunting and beautiful themes, filled with longing and loneliness.  The score as a listening experience is wonderful, and it remains a highlight of Gold’s incredible output, which includes his Oscar-winning Exodus, as well as Inherit The Wind, The Young Philadelphians, It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Pressure Point, A Child Is Waiting, and many others.   

This is Kritzerland’s third Ernest Gold release (Pressure Point and Mad World being the first two) and we are particularly pleased to be able to present these two scores in beautiful stereo sound.  Both scores were previously released on LP, and we have left the scores in their LP sequence, which played wonderfully. 

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the third week of March – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 12:25:09 AM »

CD ordered!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 12:29:18 AM »

I recommend this CD highly - Gold's themes are just gorgeous, especially the main themes of each film.

George

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:50:29 AM »

I've certainly enjoyed the previous Ernst Gold CDs that Kritzerland has already released.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 01:10:03 AM »

And now, I must get to bed.  Good night, BK and guests.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 04:35:44 AM »

Can't believe I've never heard of those two movies. I wonder if they were ever released in Montreal
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 04:38:37 AM »

ASK BK

If you were to release The Best of Guy Haines: His Greatest Hits which 12 songs from all the songs he has recorded (solo albums and rep albums) would you chose to put on it and why
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 04:48:27 AM »

ASK BK 2

Do you think using a similar model that Warner Bros is using for their on demand DVDs, that it would work for the music industry? Pressing only the cds that are sold instead of having stock that doesn't sell? Or is the limited edition of 1000 the way to go?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 04:49:13 AM »

And before I go to work where are all the usually early morning posters?
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 04:53:46 AM »

Good Morning!  It looks like Arizona is going to get the leftovers of BK's hail and rain today!
I like boat races.

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 05:22:29 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  I'm supposed to have a blood test today, but we're still pretty snowbound and it can wait until later today or tomorrow, even.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 05:23:17 AM »

RE: LOST last night [spoiler]

Oh, please, bk. Don't be so literal. I didn't mean "scary" as in frightening but rather scary because she's the anthithesis of the fresh-faced, smiling Claire we're so used to seeing. She's turned into Rousseau. Geez.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 05:27:44 AM »

I just woke up that's where I was.

It's snowing as they predicted. How much we will get is anybody's guess. It's not a lot right now but it's supposed to snow more during the day.

FJL

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 05:31:29 AM »

Wonder if it'll be enough snow to play in - for the dogs, i mean.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 05:36:54 AM »

We have about 5 to 6 inches of wet-looking snow here in the South of Jersey and it's either raining or sleeting out there.  Happily, I also have the day off. Unhappily, I will have to go out and do a first shift of shoveling of this stuff...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 06:01:28 AM »

Good morning, all! Yep, the snow has landed on Manhattan. I was thinking of staying in all day, but it doesn't seem so bad outside. I may go ahead and make my trips to the Manhattan School of Music and the NYPL. When I get back, I've got two charts for Kevin Spirtas to edit.

Welcome, new DR Josh Mitchell!

DR MattH, I suspect you're stuck with at least another week of snow on OLTL. There's a lot of crap going on on that mountainside. Now that the boys are tied up in several other storylines, I've become caught up in the soap - shades of my mother in 1973 who couldn't leave the house between ALL MY CHILDREN, ONE LIFE TO LIVE, and RYAN'S HOPE!- and seeing where the story goes.

I see that Kyle and Fish are taping a public service announcement with Cyndi Lauper for a "Give a damn" campaign.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 06:05:19 AM »

The NYPL is closed. I just saw on the news that all branches are closed. You might want to call Manhattan School of Music to check on their hours

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 06:12:12 AM »

The snow has prevented me from going to work-work today.
I've already shoveled out one driveway and salted it.  This is a heavy, wetter snow, so, that IS WORK.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 06:15:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: DISPORT!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 06:19:33 AM »

The NYPL is closed. I just saw on the news that all branches are closed. You might want to call Manhattan School of Music to check on their hours

Damn! Thanks for the advice, DR Ben.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 06:32:47 AM »

High winds and a bit more snow predicted for my house....time will tell.

CD ordered.  Mr Inge's GOOD LUCK MISS WYCKOFF was a paperback book that I bought in the early 1970's.  It was most provocative.  The movie was shown once on the CBS Late Movie.....that bastion of millions of commercials and clumsy edits, so I can't really claim to have seen it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 07:10:27 AM »

Good morning!

The "wintery mix" we were supposed to get yesterday never showed up. We got some very light rain early in the morning, and that was it. Today is very cold but simply gorgeous outside. It was 21 when I took my walk. Wore the wrong cap for that kind of cold, but I did wear a heavier jacket and was comfortable. And the wind died down during the final 1/3 of the walk, so it didn't feel as cold, especially since the sun was also out and shining by that time.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 07:11:19 AM »

So sorry you're not enjoying LOST, bk. I'm getting a kick out of it, especially the "alternate" story.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »

I noticed with Jay Leno off now, NBC is moving some of its shows into the 10 p.m. timeslots they'll occupy. LAW & ORDER: SVU seems to be the first there tonight. (Of course, the Olympics start in two days, so it's not really that important yet since the shows will be on hiatus for two weeks.)

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 07:13:51 AM »

I begin work today on STARGATE UNIVERSE 1.0 on Blu-ray. Never having seen any of the STARGATE series, I hope that's not a handicap. I guess I'll find out soon.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 07:17:22 AM »

I've got a backlog of stuff on the DVR already, and it's just Wednesday. I will be going down in a bit to start watching DAMAGES before I work on what's for lunch. I hope to watch last night's NCIS while I eat lunch.

But that leaves me with WHITE COLLAR and NCIS: LA from last night, and then tonight I won't get around to PSYCH or LEVERAGE or MODERN FAMILY. (I'll likely watch HUMAN TARGET and IDOL off the DVR starting around 8:30 or so).

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 07:17:46 AM »

Thanks, DR JRand, for reminding me how hilariously awful it was to watch a CBS late night movie. They used to show some great pictures (I think it's the only place I've seen Robert Altman's "Health"), but the editing was so bad and the commercials so many that you had no idea what you were watching.

I don't envy any of the rest of you with snow. We might get sleet today, which is fun because the folks here can't drive in the rain. Wish I could stay home, but that's not an option.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »

Manhattan School of Music is also closed today. I guell I'll have to play around the neighborhood. When my laundry is finished, I'll go out for a walk.

Here's a horrendous piece of news that should delight our former vice-president and his followers for a return to good ole family values:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/3310930/Waterboarding-used-on-girl-4
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up