Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTE TO SELF  (Read 43637 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re:NOTE TO SELF
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2004, 10:13:35 AM »

MBARNUM - I remember Queen of Outer Space, from when I was a little kid. Zsa Zsa, right? Boy, I thought that was a great movie!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2004, 10:15:16 AM »

Yup - lounging about in pj's, delaying the trek to Preuss Road...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2004, 10:16:37 AM »

Think I'll go chow down on leftover matza. Rikki has a whole box of it, next to the Cheetos...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2004, 10:17:56 AM »

Hey, didja notice that each of the last several posts says I've posted 175 posts? My post-it is stuck, apparently...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2004, 10:18:36 AM »

Oh, I get it now - so THAT's how it works.
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2004, 10:30:42 AM »

Re: last night's American Idol

I did like Tarantino as a guest judge, because he was familiar with the show and he was actually honest.  However, my one qualm was what he said to Diana.  I thought it was particularly harsh, and I thought she was gonna start crying.

I agree that nobody bombed.  And I was so happy that John Stevens did well.  I thought he was great last night.  And since he hasn't been in the bottom three when he's been awful, I guess he should be safe this week.

My guesses for bottom three: Diana, Jasmine, and maybe George.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2004, 10:38:40 AM »

Buffing toenails.  Bonnie likes having her toenails buffed.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2004, 10:40:39 AM »

Okay, so I have to ask: what are some of the strangest coincidences you have been part of? I just LOVE this stuff!

These things happen to me all the time too.  I've long ago stopped believing that they are just coincidences.

I know I keep harping on about the Omega Institute in New York, but that's where the really weird stuff happens for me.  

A few years ago, I rode up with a friend and I brought a brand-new duffle bag as my luggage that was pretty distinctive in colors--purple with green trim.  When we arrived, we followed the normal procedure of dropping off and tagging our bag at the arrival platform and then going off to sign in at the registrar’s office.  Normally, the luggage is then carted to the cabins by the staff and is delivered by the time you get there.  But when I got to my cabin, my bag was not there.  I waited for a half-hour and still no bag.  I walked over to my friend's cabin and found that her luggage had been delivered and waiting for her.  I went to Guest Services and told them that my bag was missing and, after describing it, was assured that a thorough search would be made.  I was getting worried because along with my clothes for the week, the bag contained my sheet music for the workshop I was taking, my camera, my portable CD player and several CDs.  After my friend and I ate dinner, I went back to Guest Services and still no bag.  After the guest orientation, I went back again.  When I opened the door I immediately spotted my bag next to the counter.  The first thing I did was to check that my camera was still in the outside zippered compartment where I packed it, which it was.  All this time, though, the woman behind the counter kept saying, "That's not your bag.  Sir, that's not your bag."  When what she was saying finally registered, I saw that it wasn't my bag.  It was the same brand and model and colors.  The camera was the same make and model as mine and stored in the same compartment.  But I saw that the name tags were different and that the ladies underwear that I was rummaging through wasn't mine.  The woman behind the counter explained (thought I don't think that she even completely understood the circumstances) that the woman who owned this bag had checked out at about the same time I had checked in.  Furthermore, she had stayed in the exact same cabin as mine.  The woman didn't discover that she had the wrong bag until she had gotten back to her home in NYC.  Since it was so late in the day, she wouldn't be able to drive back up until the next morning.  I knew I wouldn't be able to meet her since I would be in my workshop in the morning, so I left a somewhat lame note saying "Gee, wasn't this an amazing coincidence!" and included my e-mail address, though I never heard from her (she probably took a good look at what was in my bag.)

To make a long story longer, when I had my film developed, I found that she took a few pictures.  I wish I could say that they were interesting, but they were all badly-focused snapshots of the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Sheesh!  I need a good editor!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2004, 10:44:02 AM »

TOD:  I'm unable to answer today's question, mainly because I'm not sure what isn't available these days.  That, and I'm very happy with what we've got so far, that every addition is gravy.

I know, I know, wussburger.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2004, 10:53:53 AM »

So, Dan-the-Man, what was the sheet music, and what was the workshop??
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2004, 11:00:50 AM »

Woody, how do you get yer dawg to sit still for toenail buffage?

Who can tell I'm just dawdling in avoidance of the inevitable trek to the parents' manse?
PennyO

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2004, 11:01:29 AM »

Mawnin', gang.

Brucer, m'dear, hope you're better today.

Here's another wacky synchronicity (my life runs on these favors):

Yesterday I was assembling a list of actors to schedule for an audition coming up in Seattle at the end of the month. One of these actors emailed a photo and res while I was on the road last week, and I looked at it when I stayed over night with Jane and Keith.

By the time I got settled down here in LA and tried to retrieve it from the Internet, GONE! So I asked Jane if it was anywhere to be found on her computer, in these pages, yesterday morning. Nope. Not downloaded.

And by last night, that same actor emailed again to ask if I had received his materials. Happens to me all the time. Make a wish, and the vibe gets to the person who can grant it. I've noticed this phenomenon since i was a wee bairn - and every time it happens - and it does happen a LOT - I am just knocked over by how strange and wonderful it is. Reality is not only stranger than we think, it is stranger than we CAN think.

In high school Penny wrote a poem while at my house &, unbeknownst to her, I saved it.  A few years ago I was cleaning out some things and decided to send it to her.  Turns out she had recently been wishing for it.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2004, 11:02:37 AM »

At least I know I'm not the only one who sits at a keyboard, blabbering and jabbering Notes to Self all alone, on this site.
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2004, 11:03:06 AM »

;D I should have continued reading before I posted.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2004, 11:03:24 AM »

Howdy, Jane! Yes, wasn't that SO interesting!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2004, 11:05:33 AM »

Okay, so it really has gotten to Time To Hit The Shower And Get On With The Day. Long sigh. But there is a sunny day out there, and a nice freeway to park on, and everywhere the scent of sweet alyssum and the chirpings of nesting birds! Bye, gang. Have a good one.
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2004, 11:07:43 AM »

Hi Penny, Yes very. :D

William E. Lurie

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2004, 11:09:33 AM »

BK - A TIVO question... You mentioned you have your TIVO programmed to record anything you were in or anything Leslie Parrish was in.  What if something with each of you is on at the same time but on different stations.  Will it record both and if not how would it choose which one to record?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2004, 11:10:02 AM »

I also am lounging around in my pyjamas! LOL! I took the day off in order to do a telephone interview with actor John Bromfield. Some of you may recall this very handsome leading man of the 50s from films like HOT CARS, MANFISH, THE BLACK DAKOTAS, and REVENGE OF THE CREATURE. He also starred in the tv series SHERIFF OF COCHISE which later became U.S MARSHAL. Anyway, had the interview scheduled for 10 am this morning so just decided to take the entire day off. Interview went fairly smoothly and I enjoyed talking with him. At age 82 he still has that same beautiful deep voice that I remember from his movies!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. John Bromfield![/move]

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2004, 11:10:39 AM »

The class in improvising musicals that's now going on is taught by two men of similar heights, weights, ages, follicle challenges, and common Jewish last names: me and Larry Rosen.

Larry was a fixture in the Los Angeles improv scene for many years.  But not the same years I was a fixture on the Los Angeles improv scene for.

Long before we met each other, Larry lived in my building.  He's still in the same zip code.

Long before Larry moved to my building, I took a class in musical theatre writing and one of the other students was Larry's mother.

And, to put a punch line to this story, I then tell people: In fact, Larry is my son.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2004, 11:13:28 AM »

Jay, thanks for the heads up on the Bollywood article in the L.A. Times. It looks like you have to be a registered subscriber to read it, however :(

I will check at our Border's store in a few days or at the library and see if I can get the actual newspaper, cause I would very much like to read it! It is nice to know that I am not alone in my love of Bollywood! LOL!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2004, 11:16:37 AM »

Woody, how do you get yer dawg to sit still for toenail buffage?
Sit?  Who said anything about sit?  Bonnie rolls on her back and holds her paws up for me!

Jane

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2004, 11:20:06 AM »

Hope my GOOD VIBES to Emily aren’t too late.

Jenny I believe you have just begun documenting your grades in that class & I suggest you save your papers and continue to do so.  It might not do any good, but then it might help up your final grade if she continues on this path.  Just curious, what did your mother do?  It is really tough as a parent, especially once the kid is in high school, to do much to help.

DearReader Laura-nice blackbird.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2004, 11:24:59 AM »

td - SONG OF THE SOUTH is available on DVD.  It's a good but not exceptional transfer.  Although it is Region 1, it's not sold in the US but is fairly easy to find a copy.

It's also not the whole movie.  The number "Sooner or Later" is missing.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2004, 11:29:34 AM »

DR Elmore, I read an interview with a Fox Video executive who said SUNRISE will never be offered as a stand alone release. He said they WOULD consider pairing it with CIMARRON in a boxed set in the fall, but once again, you have to buy something else to get it.

How very odd...."Cimarron" was not a Fox film.  I wonder what kind of package that will be????

It is currently commercially available in a box with "All About Eve" and "How Green Was My Valley," though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 12:23:25 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2004, 11:39:26 AM »

The class in improvising musicals that's now going on is taught by two men of similar heights, weights, ages, follicle challenges, and common Jewish last names: me and Larry Rosen.

Now if you and Larry, plus two guys named Guilden and Stern, would just go out to eat together, you could write a musical called "Rosen, Katz and Guilden, Stern are Fed"

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2004, 11:41:36 AM »

Now if you and Larry, plus two guys named Guilden and Stern, would just go out to eat together, you could write a musical called "Rosen, Katz and Guilden, Stern are Fed"

You're really testing the limits of the no groaning edict here, aren't you Dear Reader RLP?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 11:47:21 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2004, 11:49:36 AM »

So, Dan-the-Man, what was the sheet music, and what was the workshop??

The workshop was The Natural Singer led by Claude Stein.  He used to work primarily in NYC but I think now he's settle in Nyack, NY.  He does this workshop around the country throughout the year.

The sheet music was "Johanna" from Sweeney Todd and "Goody, Goody!"  I wound up doing both during my session.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2004, 11:56:25 AM »

If it was a choice between TIVOing Miss Parrish or myself, Miss Parrish would win, if I hadn't seen the show or film.  I would win if I had.  As far as I know, TIVO can only record one show at a time, so I always have to go through and make sure I haven't programmed two that overlap or occur at the same time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2004, 11:57:47 AM »

Now, is someone removing posts?  I could have sworn it said fifty-nine when I logged on, so mine should have brought us to page three, and suddenly we're at fifty-eight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up