Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTE TO SELF  (Read 42253 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:NOTE TO SELF
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2004, 12:05:25 PM »

It's a gorgeous day and I'd rather be outside than writing. That's all I have to say.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2004, 12:07:06 PM »

RE: DR Jenny's problem

I honestly do not get why her teacher called her mom.  It sounds like she is a wonderful and considerate student.  Last time I checked it wasn't a crime to be upset if you get a bad grade when you worked really hard.

I would be very interested to know what her mom did.

Panni

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2004, 12:09:17 PM »

AND NOW I MUST DO THE PAGE 3 DANCE!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] 8) 8) 8) [/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :o :o :o [/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :o :o :o [/move]

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2004, 12:11:33 PM »

Coincidences.....

Owen Marshall used to solve complete legal cases with them....and Joan Crawford's Sudden Fear was one BIG one after another.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2004, 12:16:26 PM »

i wasn't into Owen Marshall until there was the crossover episodes with Marcus Welby (Dr. Kiley was on trial for murder or malpractice--I forget which.)  Then I became a weekly fan.

They don't do many crossovers between TV series anymore.  The last one I remember was between Ally McBeal and The Practice.

Is Ally McBeal on DVD?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 12:17:27 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2004, 12:25:39 PM »

You're really testing the limits of the no groaning edict here, aren't you Dear Reader RLP?

But, DR Jay!  I'm not groaning!

(No limits!  No time!  No how!)

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2004, 12:27:55 PM »

i wasn't into Owen Marshall until there was the crossover episodes with Marcus Welby (Dr. Kiley was on trial for murder or malpractice--I forget which.)  Then I became a weekly fan.

They don't do many crossovers between TV series anymore.  The last one I remember was between Ally McBeal and The Practice.

Is Ally McBeal on DVD?

There has been one McBeal DVD that I am aware of.

The last crossover I saw (since the McBeal-The Practice one), was "Angel" and "Buffy" in the next to last episode of the "Buffy" series.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2004, 12:37:22 PM »

It's also not the whole movie.  The number "Sooner or Later" is missing.

Alas, I think Mr. Sondheim appropriated it, and had Miss Ciccione sing it in DICK TRACY. ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 12:37:36 PM by Stuart »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2004, 12:38:41 PM »

Woo-Hoo!  (Which is different from WeHo.)

I've become a junior member!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2004, 12:39:12 PM »

Congratulations, Dear Brother Stuart, on achieving Jr. Member status.  Fifty more posts and you become--you should pardon the expression--a Full Member.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2004, 01:19:15 PM »

Thanks for spot checking me DR RLP, it wasn't CIMARRON; it was CAVALCADE. Duh....

George's number was busy for much of last night on the East Coast, so I'd be very shocked if he were in the bottom three. Neither Jon Peter's nor John's numbers were busy nor was Jennifer's, so she may be back in the bottom three despite a good performance.

I'm guessing Diana (who will leave), Jasmine, and John.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2004, 01:39:30 PM »

Congratulations, Dear Brother Stuart, on achieving Jr. Member status.  Fifty more posts and you become--you should pardon the expression--a Full Member.

How sweet that your congratulatory epistle should knock you over the 1000-post mark, dear brother.

A hearty mazel tov to you as well.

Those 950 posts between us may look daunting but, don't you worry, dear brother, I'll catch up somehow.....

Panni

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2004, 01:40:11 PM »

Just read that the DVD of KILL BILL sold over 2 million copies its first day of release.
I was actually suprised by how much I enjoyed the movie (finally caught up with it last night). Originally I had no intention of ever seeing it because of the violence. But the "violence" is totally cartoonish and the film has some wonderful sequences. The final showdown with the Lucy Liu character is visually quite gorgeous.
I'm still no huge fan of Mr. Tarantino, but I had a darn good time watching the movie and am now actually contemplating perhaps seeing part deux on the big screen.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 01:41:54 PM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2004, 01:44:05 PM »

Well.....when I went to get my new glasses today....at Wal-Mart Vision Center, I stopped by the Entertainment Section and KILL BILL was not selling at all.  There was a two-sided cardboard display with one or two gone and several on the shelf and that selection had not been dented!  I guess Indiana is not Tarentino Territory.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2004, 01:56:31 PM »

RE: DR Jenny's problem

I honestly do not get why her teacher called her mom.  It sounds like she is a wonderful and considerate student.  Last time I checked it wasn't a crime to be upset if you get a bad grade when you worked really hard.

I would be very interested to know what her mom did.

My mother lectured me about the importance of respecting my teachers and then dropped the subject.   ::)  The teacher was cold to me all day, and she had us write another essay today.  If I get a similar grade on the next assignment without a valid explanation, I might have to complain to the higher ups.  I would hate to do that, but if she's going to give me lousy grades, it would be decent of her to tell me why.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2004, 01:57:28 PM »

Sorry for not responding to your query the other night, DR TCB. I have no clue why your new pic is blurry, but it could have to do with the size of the original from which you took this pic. If you want me to fiddle with the original pic and get you a face shot, just send it to me. I'll be happy to try to help.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2004, 02:31:22 PM »

DR TCB that could be the problem....if your original pic is NOT 110x150 it will be stretched or squeezed to fit those dimensions.  Right click and check the properties on it where it is stored....

If you right click on any of the photos on the messages you will see that the properties are 110x150.....if the original is too big you get an error message when you upload....if it is smaller it is uploaded at that size....if it is just right...like MATTH or RLP's photos....then they look perfect!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 02:33:33 PM by JRand53 »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2004, 02:32:55 PM »

Finished Kritzer Time. Will post on the other board when I have collected my thoughts and have more time

Ben,

I also finished Kritzer Time on the weekend. I enjoyed it immensely and sat down to write a brief review on Amazon.com, thinking that I would later cut, paste and share it with DRs at HHW. That was Sunday. I e-mailed Amazon and was told that there's a lag because the customer-review component is undergoing maintenance. All of which is to say you may want to post your review here, lest it get lost in the shuffle there.

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2004, 02:54:22 PM »

Dr Jay, thank you so much for e-mailing me the L.A Times stories on Bollywood films! If you read it you now know why I like the movies so much. They really are like Old Hollywood...very upbeat, uplifting, and colorful. Beautiful people, and beautiful music and cool dance numbers!

Are you going to go to the UCLA showings of any of those films? I have not seen the 4 that they are showing but I do have the soundtrack to one of them.

And if anyone of you DRs have even the slightest curiousity about Bollywood music just send me an e-mail and I will happily make some CDrs of the music for you!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2004, 02:55:18 PM »

Amazon seems to do this more often than you'd think - whether your review will get lost because of it, who knows?  If so, just write another, but be sure to save it before you post.  Can't wait to read Ben's and your thoughts.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2004, 03:07:16 PM »

Well I'm off to make dinner.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2004, 03:18:13 PM »

Congrats to DR Jay on becoming our newest Deus de Deux!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2004, 03:32:11 PM »

JRand, The John Stevens phenomena.  We all want to like John beause, as far as Haines/Kimlets go, he's drawn to and likes to sing the kind of music we love.  Unfortunately, he doesn't really sing it all that well.  His numbers are all sort of shaky, bland, and undistinguished.  Simon's right:  The poor lad as no charisma, which automatically puts him in the underdog category and makes you want to root for him all the more.  God knows, in the beginning, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and rooted for him more than anyone...hoping he'd come into his own and blossom.  But he ain't going to be no Clay (who you knew from the moment you heard him, he had a voice that could take him to the end of the competition).  The sad, sad fact is his obvious affinity for the music and his desire to sing it, just isn't enough.  At the end of the day, he just isn't very good.  He's seems like a nice kid and I'm sure a lot of us identify with his "I was born in the wrong era" love of the past where music is concerned...It may be youth, but I don't think he's ever gonna grow and his will always be a voice that might make him a local community theatre star...if he can find any personality for a stage presence.

MattH, I also found Quentin Tarantino's comments somewhat refreshing and he only pulled a few punches.  He wasn't mean, but he wasn't polite either and gave fairly accurate criticism.  But man, what a big head (and I mean just physically), and I'm not sure that Caesarian, tortured-forward hair style helps it.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2004, 03:36:51 PM »

I just don't think the audience cares for Jennifer.  She seems to give consistently competent, even strong, performances, but has been in the bottom three when far lesser singers dodged the bullet.

Jay

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2004, 03:43:59 PM »

Congrats to DR Jay on becoming our newest Deus de Deux!

I'd like to thank the Academy.......

Oh, never mind.  

Thanks for noticing, DR SWW (and DR/DB Stuart.)

Jay

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2004, 03:46:11 PM »

Dr Jay, thank you so much for e-mailing me the L.A Times stories on Bollywood films! If you read it you now know why I like the movies so much. They really are like Old Hollywood...very upbeat, uplifting, and colorful. Beautiful people, and beautiful music and cool dance numbers!

Are you going to go to the UCLA showings of any of those films? I have not seen the 4 that they are showing but I do have the soundtrack to one of them.

And if anyone of you DRs have even the slightest curiousity about Bollywood music just send me an e-mail and I will happily make some CDrs of the music for you!

Dear Reader MBarnum:

You are more than welcome!  I did read the articles, but, unfortunately, I don't think I will be making my way to the festival.  The films do sound interesting, though.  Everything in 'em but the kitchen sink!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2004, 03:58:50 PM »

Speaking of Amazon, coincidences and cross-advertising (three recent topics).

A neighbor of ours died earlier this week. I didn't know him too well, but one of my friends in the building did. She told me that the neighbor who passed away, a retired medical doctor, had returned last week from Brazil, where he had gone to see the faith healer John of God.

To find out more, I googled John of God this morning, and learned that he's known as the Brazilian healer with the kitchen knife. (That's how he removes cataracts and tumors.) Then, just a short while ago, I visited Amazon - to see if my Kritzer Time review was up. It wasn't, but Amazon let me know that I would be probably interested in reading, you guessed it:

"The Brazilian Healer With The Kitchen Knife."

Coincidence? Or is it a Google/Amazon connection at work?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2004, 04:00:28 PM »

Alas, I think Mr. Sondheim appropriated it, and had Miss Ciccione sing it in DICK TRACY. ;)

He only used the title....but the song from "Song of the South" is by far my favorite of the two, both for music and lyric.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2004, 04:02:11 PM »

You're right CP - since it was the first time I had seen any of the them, maybe it was John's choice of song.....and all the other things you mentioned.    There has to be some middle ground between dropping off your ending notes.....and holding and sending them ALL over the scale no where near where they were written....there has to be.  I just can't stand that stuff....up the wall is where it takes me....to the ceiling and beyond....  When that crap starts.....I give the singer the thumbs down....anywhere!

I've told the story of Sharon Brown the actress singing LUCY in the Jekyll & Hyde tour I saw....she got to stylin' and profilin' during "Someone Like You" (I think), got lost the orchestra was lost and finally the conductor just closed the orchestra down until Miss Thang got to someplace he could find in the score....then he continued....it was embarrassing and unnecessary.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 04:04:45 PM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2004, 04:06:03 PM »

The latter DinTO.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up