Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTE TO SELF  (Read 43636 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NOTE TO SELF
« on: April 15, 2004, 12:08:55 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've noted the notes, and now you are ready to post until the cows come home.  Note to self: I tried to post this at midnight, but nothing was working.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 12:00:12 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:NOTE TO SELF
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 12:14:32 AM »

It could be my system - but I can't seem to see any new Notes.

Panni

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 12:15:27 AM »

Just found them with IE.

Panni

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 12:22:21 AM »

I'm not sleepy. The wonderdog is sound asleep. If I had a parrot I bet it would be chatting up a storm. But a parrot might outlive me (they live a LONG time) and reveal all my secrets. So no parrot. I'll just have to wake the dog.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 01:52:48 AM »

I had trouble getting today's notes to come up, too.  I rebooted, even zapped my Internet cache, which usually works (and it needed zapping anyway), but I still was stuck with yesterday's notes.  I finally went into the archives, and there were today's notes.  Go fig.  Or go prune.  Wh'ever.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 06:09:19 AM »

TotD by td:

KING KONG
KING'S ROW
THE LAST PICTURE SHOW (uncensored)
DEAR HEART
THE CAREY TREATMENT
WILD ROVERS
RAGTIME
AT LONG LAST LOVE
GREEN MANSIONS
THE NUN'S STORY
ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER
DARLING LILI
LI'L ABNER
RED GARTERS
SO DEAR TO MY HEART
SONG OF THE SOUTH
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 06:10:25 AM »

Wow, it was an ordeal to get this far today. I couldn't get into the Column until 8:45 and then I couldn't get to page 2. When I finally got to page 2 I couldn't get to the posts. I finally (at 9:00am) got into the posts and now I'm here. That's it for now. Finished Kritzer Time. Will post on the other board when I have collected my thoughts and have more time. Also will post something about Caroline, or Change later. Very interesting piece (that horrible word interesting). More later.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 06:20:04 AM »

td - SONG OF THE SOUTH is available on DVD.  It's a good but not exceptional transfer.  Although it is Region 1, it's not sold in the US but is fairly easy to find a copy.

Since the 3 THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT films are allegedly being released on DVD later this year, I won't include them.  I would like to see THAT'S DANCIN', which was related to these films, on DVD.  None of the Fred and Ginger movies are out on DVD yet so I'd like to have any of them.  And while the Judy releases of last week were great, there is still so much missing: SUMMER STOCK, EASTER PARADE, PRESENTING LILY MARS, etc.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 06:22:15 AM »

Oh so many movies, and hopefully they will all eventually be DVD-ized!   ;D

Mr BK mentioned two of my favorites LIL ABNER and FLOWER DRUM SONG and td mentioned a third RED GARTERS!  Hmmmmmmm those  are musicals....so I have two choices left.

Hmmmmmmm.....Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, although I have a DVD-R of the film.....and (with a commentary by the star):

Carroll Baker as Harlow!   8)  Of course the movie doesn't come close to answering the question the poster asks, but it's a lot of fun....in an inaccurate 1960's kind of way.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 06:23:29 AM »

WEL you will have something in your mailbox from me next week!  Get your turntable ready.

Robin

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 06:57:29 AM »

Two of my deeveedee choices have already been made:

Li'l Abner
King Kong

to them, I will add:

It Conquered the World
The Invisible Ray
Julie

Most of my all-time favorites have already been released...lucky me, I guess!!!

I would also like a complete set of the TV series Quark, starring Richard Benjamin and the animated series The Tick.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 07:08:59 AM »

Well, American Idol has diminished to me from addictive, must-see to "oh, if it's on and I got nothing better to do, fine" but I really just don't care.  I just don't think there is any real breakout, jaw-dropper in this pack.  Even the good ones like LaToya, it's like I've seen it before.  Some good singers, but no one unique...No one has STAR potential (Of course, which of those in the past have lasting STAR potential...my advice to most of them is banked it big now and hang on to it, folks.  Clay is probably the most interesting, but he's got to do albums that have interesting songs on them instead of the usual pop banal trivia that passes for music these days).

I didn't find any of them memorable.  Even Fantasia who everybody gushed over.  All I wanted to tell her about her on-the-knees song styling of SUMMERTIME tonight was, "Hey, honey, you ain't Jolson and, in Porgy and Bess, it's Porgy, not Bess, who's on the goat cart."

Gee, is it really surprising that Diane, a sixteen year old girl, would pick the sixteen year old girl anthem, that insipid piece of mediocre tripe from THE TITANIC, to sing?  After all, it was sixteen year old girls who made that piece of flotsam the mega-hit it was.  But Quentin Tarantino was absolutely right, you could sing it perfectly and the question would still be, "Who cares?"
Simon is absolutely right about John...He has no charisma...and I'm sorry, you don't snap your fingers to  AS TIME GOES BY.

Even George was off tonight.

And what's with these favourite movie of all time selections:  "A...my favourite movie of all time is the one I saw just last week..."  and The Wiz?  Sister Act II?  No wonder song selection can get dodgy if these are the kind of choices they make...Sister Act II?  Favourite Movie of all time?

And speaking of movies, ones I'd like to see on DVD...THOSE LIPS, THOSE EYES.  BECKET (with extras).  GUNGA DIN (with Rudy Behlmer commmentary).  THE LIGHT THAT FAILED.  Has EL CID made it yet?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 07:13:43 AM by Charles Pogue »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 07:09:59 AM »

This here inner-net site is plumb broken this a-morn!  I kin hardly git from one page to annoner one!  I am so depressed I kin hardly talk on the phone!

5 Moving Pictures I want on DeeVeeDee:
Reds
An Unmarried Woman
The African Queen
Willie and Phil
Hey, There, It's Yogi Bear!
& A Man Called Flintstone
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 07:11:32 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 07:12:42 AM »

All hell seems to be breaking loose on this site between last night and this morning:

last night, all the photos and icons in the left margin vanished on my Netscape and have not returned, although they're all still on IE.  Can anyone help me wityh this?  I have an eMac, but I'm a computer moron.

This morning, I tried to load this site from around 7:45 am to 9:00, when I decided to wait.  Around 9:45, I could enter.  Are these IRS omens?

DVD cravings:
  Everyone's already mentioned my three biggest wishes, but there are more Disney animated films I'd like to see:
    KING KONG
    FLOWER DRUM SONG
    LI'L ABNER
    CINDERELLA
    BAMBI
A few silent films I'd like:
    THE STUDENT PRINCE
    BEN-HUR
    SUNRISE (it seems to be a part of a deal only right now)

I would have added HELEN OF TROY, but I see it's coming out just in time to compete with Brad Pitt and Eric Bana.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 07:14:30 AM »

My number DVD request; how could I forget?

OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR!  still timely.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 07:20:36 AM »

To quote Alice,  curiouser and curiouser!  The icons and photos have returned, and Dear Friend BK is smiling benignly over me again, DR CharlesPogue is looking stern, and I have a question for him:  wasn't there a Pogue's dept store in Cincinnati?  Any relation?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2004, 07:46:27 AM »

DR Elmore, I read an interview with a Fox Video executive who said SUNRISE will never be offered as a stand alone release. He said they WOULD consider pairing it with CIMARRON in a boxed set in the fall, but once again, you have to buy something else to get it.

According to the Warner chat a few weeks ago, KING KONG is coming, so I won't put it on my list.

My list of five most desired DVDs:

I'd like all five remaining THIN MAN films, but since that would take up my entire list, I'll just pick one of them: ANOTHER THIN MAN, the third film in the series and my favorite mystery of the six with a great cast, Nick, Jr. while he's still a baby and thus not an irritant, and Asta doing that incredible back flip.

2. EASTER PARADE

3. HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE

4. BRINGING UP BABY

5. all of Disney's True-Life Adventures but especially THE LIVING DESERT. My tapes of these are quickly wearing out.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2004, 07:47:22 AM »

RE: AMERICAN IDOL:

Where does Quentin Tarantino come off calling someone geeky? He's lord of the geeks.

I had to admit, though, that he made a good judge because he obviously watches the show and knew all of the previous performances of the contestants. He was there as a fan of the show, and that was refreshing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 07:48:24 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004, 08:23:33 AM »

Mawnin', gang.

Brucer, m'dear, hope you're better today.

Here's another wacky synchronicity (my life runs on these favors):

Yesterday I was assembling a list of actors to schedule for an audition coming up in Seattle at the end of the month. One of these actors emailed a photo and res while I was on the road last week, and I looked at it when I stayed over night with Jane and Keith.

By the time I got settled down here in LA and tried to retrieve it from the Internet, GONE! So I asked Jane if it was anywhere to be found on her computer, in these pages, yesterday morning. Nope. Not downloaded.

And by last night, that same actor emailed again to ask if I had received his materials. Happens to me all the time. Make a wish, and the vibe gets to the person who can grant it. I've noticed this phenomenon since i was a wee bairn - and every time it happens - and it does happen a LOT - I am just knocked over by how strange and wonderful it is. Reality is not only stranger than we think, it is stranger than we CAN think.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004, 08:35:13 AM »

The most incredible among many incredible coincidences ALSO had Jane involved:

Four and a half years ago, i was directing a world premiere opera named Twilight Voices. I was writing press releases and publicity materials, and remembered that in 11th grade i had written a sonnet about Twilight. I tried to remember the poem, and retrieved a few phrases, but OH how I wished I could remember the whole thing. Gone forever, i thought.

Three days later, I got an envelope in the mail from Jane Wagner Lassner, the first I had received from her in years. Inside, a handwritten note: "Do you remember writing this at my house?" And a scrap of paper, on which was written in pencil in my own handwriting the first draft of that same sonnet. I had left that draft on the table while doing homework at Jane's house one afternoon, having copied it in ink to hand in at English class the next day.

And, of course, y'all know about the Susan-Bruce synchronicity through Jane... ve-ry in-ter-est-ing...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2004, 08:40:35 AM »

Okay, so I have to ask: what are some of the strangest coincidences you have been part of? I just LOVE this stuff!
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2004, 08:51:18 AM »

Well I finally broke down and watched part of American Idol last night.  I guess I didn't HATE any of the singers - but it seems that for a show about singing and lasting ONE HOUR and with only 8 contestants - they could sing the WHOLE song....but that's just not how it works I guess.

Styling was my main complaint....and has been from the start...the original intent of most of the songs was lost in the "personal" style of the singer....none of which none of them has....unless it's lousy.

Oh well....it's a TV show.  And as DR CP said, it seems like we've seen it/them all before.  And I guess for some reason, I liked John Stevens....I won't be voting, but the outcome will be interesting.

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2004, 09:09:16 AM »

5 Movies I would like to see on DVD:

MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM
QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE
STORM WARNING
BAMBI
INTERNATIONAL HOUSE

There are my top 5, but I would also like for all of Allison Hayes' and June Kenney's films to be released on DVD as well, of course!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2004, 09:39:21 AM »

Is the site behaving?  It came right up for me.  I'll give the host a call and see if there were problems this morning.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2004, 09:41:15 AM »

You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2004, 09:42:17 AM »

Is the site behaving?  It came right up for me.  I'll give the host a call and see if there were problems this morning.

The site behaved quite normally for me this morning.  I encountered no problems.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2004, 09:43:47 AM »

Just talked to our host, and yes indeedy they were doing some sort of router changes this morning for a couple of hours that did affect us.  All is fine now.  They try to do these things as early as possible but I told them if it's West Coast they need to do them right after midnight because we simply have too many early bird denizens.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2004, 09:56:36 AM »

Yes, BK, it's working for me now.
Wasn't when I woke up this morning, between 7-8 edt
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2004, 10:12:33 AM »

I see lots of people but what are those people doing?  Eating Quaker Oats?  Buffing their toenails?  Laying about in their lounging pyjamas?  

William E. Lurie

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2004, 10:13:00 AM »

According to published reports, Kristen Chenoweth's last day in WICKED is July 18.  No word on who is replacing her or if Idina is staying.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up