Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: A COCKEYED OPTIMIST  (Read 14252 times)

Cillaliz

Re: A COCKEYED OPTIMIST
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »

Not sure I really like the cast of DWS this time. 

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »

Well, who were they? Give us some hints!  :)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »

Well, who were they? Give us some hints!  :)

I guess I can check on-line myself.

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »

Well, I'm going to write for a little bit and then head downstairs to bed.

Good night!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2010, 08:17:35 PM »

This whole LoC blowup has got me thinking about friends I miss enormously: today i've been thinking about dead  friends Jim Legge, Bill Tynes, Sam Lato Mike Taulbee, Mark Riese, and Thom Heinrichs along with friends I've not seen in years like Jeff Gingold and John McKeel. It ain't always a glamorous life.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »

TCB - Your joke about a lady visiting the upstairs neighbor is like many moments in Pillow Talk.

Jennifer

« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »

The newly revealed cast of DANCING WITH THE STARS:

Pamela Anderson
Nicole Scherzinger
Kate Gosselin
Chad Ochocinco
Shannen Doherty
Evan Lysacek
Erin Andrews
Buzz Aldrin
Aiden Turner
Niecy Nash
Jake Pavelka (missing from the link below, the bachelor who was just on the finale tonight)

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1632937/20100301/scherzinger__nicole.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

Jennifer

« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2010, 08:34:37 PM »

I agree. Not many big names. I've only heard of 6 of these people.

FJL

« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »

What can i say about the killing off of Sasha Fierce by Beyonce?

FJL

« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »

Except that i never heard of Sasha Fierce until a few minutes ago

FJL

« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »

Betty White is everywhere.  Does she ever sleep?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2010, 08:42:18 PM »

Well, my mom was here today and we completely cleaned up my extra bedroom, did about a dozen loads of laundry (evidently, my mom washed EVERYTHING in my house that could possibly be washed) and I went through and sorted quite a few boxes that I had in said extra bedroom.  I kept some stuff, but it's all in bins and the floor is empty and has been vacuumed thoroughly.  My entire house is completely cleaned!  Now, I just need to keep it that way...forever.

I am now watching "Chuck" and ketchuping on all the posts. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2010, 08:43:26 PM »

True story department:

When I was telling a friend about my Caller ID when it first came out, she thought I was referring to my dog's name tag.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »

How is Kate Gosselin going to find time for all that rehearsal? Doesn't she have like eight kids? I wouldn't have had time, and I only had two.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2010, 09:13:07 PM »

Hello, everyone.

George, congrats to you on your clean house! IMHO, organization is a very personal thing. I used to know a dance teacher who kept spare plastic bags in the refrigerator. It seemed quite logical to her, because that's where she kept the food that she usually put in them. Her logic was not my logic, but I guess it worked for her! In any case, I know how easy it is for a house to get cluttered and how time-consuming it is to undo it all.

George

« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »

I just pre-ordered Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest, Love Never Dies from Dresscircle.co.uk.  Is anyone else planning on getting it? 

DR George, thirty years ago I was exactly like you: every new cast recording had to be in my possession. Then I realized one day that many of them, especially the revival cast recordings with new arrangements and reduced orchestras, weren't worth the time or waste of money. I'd only be interested in the new A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC if it had Tunick's orchestrations and it does not.  As to ALW's newest, I would only want to hear it for Larry Blank's orchestrations - I do believe and he did them all, no matter what the credit says - but I'll find it down the pike in a used CD store for a lot less than its current selling price.

Does this explain, DR Elmore, why I have eight different recordings of "Annie Get Your Gun," even though it's not one of my more favorite scores? I mean there's one with someone named Susie Quattro, and I haven't a clue as to who she is. But it must have been $4 or $5 in a used CD bin someplace, so it ended in the collection, along with the two Ethels, the Mary, the Bernadette, the Delores, the Betty and the John McGlinn. 

Yes, but do you have the original Cantonese recording?  I bet George does.

Not the Cantonese, but I've downloaded acquired the Berlin, Japanese, and Swedish cast recordings.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »

Vibes of sympathy to Larry. It is never easy to lose friends. I hope that you will soon find yourself with several new and more loyal friends.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »

Does anyone here use a rice cooker? I'm thinking about buying one. I've always cooked rice the conventional way, but am interested in doing it the easy way. Rice cookers can be used for steaming, as well. Do they compare to slow cookers/crock pots? (Not to be confused with crack pots.)  Jose?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »

Tomorrow I will be going to the dentist to resume the work that was started just before Christmas. It will mean many visits over the coming weeks. Thankfully, so far nothing really awful has turned up (no R word). I hope to keep it that way.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2010, 09:33:07 PM »

I just pre-ordered Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest, Love Never Dies from Dresscircle.co.uk.  Is anyone else planning on getting it? 

DR George, thirty years ago I was exactly like you: every new cast recording had to be in my possession. Then I realized one day that many of them, especially the revival cast recordings with new arrangements and reduced orchestras, weren't worth the time or waste of money. I'd only be interested in the new A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC if it had Tunick's orchestrations and it does not.  As to ALW's newest, I would only want to hear it for Larry Blank's orchestrations - I do believe and he did them all, no matter what the credit says - but I'll find it down the pike in a used CD store for a lot less than its current selling price.

Does this explain, DR Elmore, why I have eight different recordings of "Annie Get Your Gun," even though it's not one of my more favorite scores? I mean there's one with someone named Susie Quattro, and I haven't a clue as to who she is. But it must have been $4 or $5 in a used CD bin someplace, so it ended in the collection, along with the two Ethels, the Mary, the Bernadette, the Delores, the Betty and the John McGlinn. 

Yes, but do you have the original Cantonese recording?  I bet George does.
Sorry. Just the Korean recording of "Evita." And a Japanese "Fiddler" on vinyl.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2010, 09:39:31 PM »

Sad news today. My all-time favorite video store, VIDEO VAULT, is going out of business in two months. They have a huge selection of old, never-went-to-DVD tapes, as well as many DVDs. They are selling their inventory. If anyone here is interested, check videovault.com.

George

« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »

And...

The cast recording of the current revival of A Little Night Music is due in stores April 6. A 2-disc set!

I'll be getting this!

George

« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2010, 09:53:45 PM »

Hello, everyone.

George, congrats to you on your clean house! IMHO, organization is a very personal thing. I used to know a dance teacher who kept spare plastic bags in the refrigerator. It seemed quite logical to her, because that's where she kept the food that she usually put in them. Her logic was not my logic, but I guess it worked for her! In any case, I know how easy it is for a house to get cluttered and how time-consuming it is to undo it all.

Thanks, Jeanne.  The only other times that I haven't been cluttered was when I moved...and since I'm not planning on moving again, I'd really better finally learn to not get cluttered in the first place.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »

Finished with my viewing and have been playing with sequencing a potential project - really not sure about it - the music is a little outre, but by a composer I'm very fond of.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up