Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A COCKEYED OPTIMIST  (Read 14073 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A COCKEYED OPTIMIST
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:45:05 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were both cockeyed and optimistic, and now it is time for you to post until the cockeyed cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: A COCKEYED OPTIMIST
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 11:47:35 PM »

And the word of the day is: PERIPHRASTIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:48:07 PM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to Kurt.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to former DR Kurt!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:55:35 PM »

I just pre-ordered Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest, Love Never Dies from Dresscircle.co.uk.  Is anyone else planning on getting it? 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 11:56:26 PM »

Amazon.com's listing actually has preview clips.  I thought that Amazon wouldn't put up preview clips until the actual release date.

George

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:09:03 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I can't think of any mindless action films at the moment.  I know I'll agree with some that others will post. :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 01:11:28 AM »

Well, it's 3:45 am and I've been up for the past hour. I am also very angry about it. Very.

About an hour ago I went to the bathroom to discover the bathroom rug soaking wet and plaster all over the floor, something that occurred between 11 pm last night and now, but I couldn't have heard it because of the damned earplugs I wear because of the neighbor above me! So, after a short debate on cleaning up the mess or going back to bed, I opted to go back to bed, only at that point the neighbor arrived home and I got to hear 30 minutes of his squeaky bed while he and whomever have sex. I figured then, screw it, since he is, got up and cleaned up the bathroom. Now I'm so angry that I cannot sleep.

The leak has been going on for some time, bit it stopped for a while. It was back yesterday afternoon when I returned hme from Toyland. Since I don't know if it's caused by the neighbor above me or another apartment, it's difficult to find the source. I know it was gone for a while but now it's back.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 03:01:11 AM »

I just pre-ordered Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest, Love Never Dies from Dresscircle.co.uk.  Is anyone else planning on getting it? 

Could I have an order of ground glass please, with a Drano chaser?

Ben

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 04:05:12 AM »

Looped

was great fun. Ms. Harper was excellent. She's funny and has a great vocal sound. Her raucous laugh is wonderful and she has an excellent sense of comedy and timing. Brian Hutchison plays the film editor pressed into directing the session. He plays frustrated very well but, especially in the first act, there is a sameness to some of the dialogue and action, more a fault of the play, I think, than the performances. He shines (as does Harper) in the second act in his breakdown scene (no spoilers here but it was clear to both me and my friend what his "secret" was). Poor Michael Mulheren seems to be playing almost off-stage characters. He spends the show up in the engineer's booth. If the show was re-written you could probably find a way to eliminate the character completely. That's not to say Mulheren isn't good. He is, but the character is secondary. The production is excellent and the talent is wonderful but at times the play seems a bit contrived to me. Also the depiction of alcohol and drug use seems a bit off in terms of how Miss Bankhead (sorry, I mean Tallulah...an inside joke from the show) recovers in the second act to be as lucid as she becomes. This was my view and confirmed by a friend who is actually "in recovery" and has been sober for over 13 years. Oh, well, it's dramatic license.

All in all I think it's well worth seeing and I think Ms. Harper will get some well deserved kudos.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 04:05:32 AM »

I'm all by myself so I shall leave.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 04:31:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: PERIPHRASTIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is: MY DARLING,MY DARLING

Michael

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 04:38:58 AM »

Looped

was great fun. Ms. Harper was excellent. She's funny and has a great vocal sound. Her raucous laugh is wonderful and she has an excellent sense of comedy and timing. Brian Hutchison plays the film editor pressed into directing the session. He plays frustrated very well but, especially in the first act, there is a sameness to some of the dialogue and action, more a fault of the play, I think, than the performances. He shines (as does Harper) in the second act in his breakdown scene (no spoilers here but it was clear to both me and my friend what his "secret" was). Poor Michael Mulheren seems to be playing almost off-stage characters. He spends the show up in the engineer's booth. If the show was re-written you could probably find a way to eliminate the character completely. That's not to say Mulheren isn't good. He is, but the character is secondary. The production is excellent and the talent is wonderful but at times the play seems a bit contrived to me. Also the depiction of alcohol and drug use seems a bit off in terms of how Miss Bankhead (sorry, I mean Tallulah...an inside joke from the show) recovers in the second act to be as lucid as she becomes. This was my view and confirmed by a friend who is actually "in recovery" and has been sober for over 13 years. Oh, well, it's dramatic license.

All in all I think it's well worth seeing and I think Ms. Harper will get some well deserved kudos.

When it played here there wasn't the character of the engineer. just a 2 character play. They went through two actors playing the looper
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 04:57:22 AM »

How about a picture of the legless book cover?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:43 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's another slow-cooker oatmeal morning! -This time with dried cranberries, blueberries and pineapple added to the mix before I hit the "Low" switch. YUM!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 05:04:05 AM »

...And green tea.  My Hot Chocolate Detox begins today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 05:04:31 AM »

How about a picture of the legless book cover?

DR Pogue - I believe if you check Page 1 or 2 of yesterday's posts...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 05:05:44 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Hmmm...

Well...

Since I never really went to or watched "mindless action pics", well...

Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 05:08:08 AM »

DR Ben - What DR Michael S said regarding the "man in the booth". -Whom I believe was fully incorporated/added for the Arena Stage run.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 05:13:11 AM »

And...

The cast recording of the current revival of A Little Night Music is due in stores April 6. A 2-disc set!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 05:18:30 AM »

OH!

An "Eight is Enough" reunion on "The Today Show"!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 05:24:10 AM »

Good morning, all! I missed over an hour's sleep last night and I am very unhappy about it.

As to today, I need to have a telephone conversation with an old friend, make a trip to the NYPL at Lincoln Center, and get the super up here to check out this leak damage.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:32:27 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 05:25:59 AM »

Job interview vibes for the DH of DR DAKOTACELT.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 05:26:19 AM »

Yes the leg-free cover was posted a couple of times yesterday.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 05:28:16 AM »

OH!

An "Eight is Enough" reunion on "The Today Show"!

That is a scary way to begin the day.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 05:31:02 AM »

TOD:

I will be interested in hearing other DR's answers....but I will say, without hesitation:

TRUE ROMANCE with Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette and Mr Brad Pitt as Floyd (one of my favorite Pitt performances). AND I love the music and the soundtrack CD.

John G.

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 05:32:47 AM »

TOD: I was going to say the "Die Hard" movies and "Terminator," but then my brain kicked in and I remembered those were mindless '80s movies (I'm getting old).

So, I would have to say the early Guy Ritchie movies, like "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch." They're fun, they're mindless.

I like Jason Statham's movies, too, like "Transporter" and the "Death Race" remake. He's got a low-key, engaging personality that makes the flicks fun.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 05:34:19 AM »

Well, it's 3:45 am and I've been up for the past hour. I am also very angry about it. Very.

About an hour ago I went to the bathroom to discover the bathroom rug soaking wet and plaster all over the floor, something that occurred between 11 pm last night and now, but I couldn't have heard it because of the damned earplugs I wear because of the neighbor above me! So, after a short debate on cleaning up the mess or going back to bed, I opted to go back to bed, only at that point the neighbor arrived home and I got to hear 30 minutes of his squeaky bed while he and whomever have sex. I figured then, screw it, since he is, got up and cleaned up the bathroom. Now I'm so angry that I cannot sleep.

The leak has been going on for some time, bit it stopped for a while. It was back yesterday afternoon when I returned hme from Toyland. Since I don't know if it's caused by the neighbor above me or another apartment, it's difficult to find the source. I know it was gone for a while but now it's back.

Sorry to hear about the leak. I understand your frustration. I came home from work once to a completely flooded house. That was a nightmare I hope I never have to live through again.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 05:34:30 AM »

March Monday morning greetings!  We are about to go to breakfast before making our way into downtown Cleveland.  It's gray and wintery here on Ohio's North Coast.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 05:37:10 AM »

Yes happy birthday to the Evil Kurt Owens who will be attending THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X with me next month, and hopefully meet MR BK and friend in the process.

I will post a photo later today....after banking and grocery shopping.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up