Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: KNOCK ON WOOD  (Read 47402 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:KNOCK ON WOOD
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2004, 08:23:40 PM »

We're dealing with this whole insurance issue now as Betsy has, for the first time in her long and varied career, gotten laid off (her job always provided the benefits in our household as I am self-employed).  So now we are paying through the nose for COBRA since private insurers will not handle us until Gabe's arm is pronounced cured.  I got my new ASCAP member services booklet today and they offer health insurance, so we may go that route.  It's truly incredible how much COBRA is costing us--almost $1000 a month!

Have you checked this out?  They have Oregon portability insurance with Blue Shield/Blue Cross as a provider.

http://www.omip.state.or.us/

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2004, 08:30:30 PM »

I have had mild migraines, no way near the intensity of a severe one.  My younger son would throw up from them when he was little.  When he was ten he had this contraption put in his mouth to stretch it and make room for his adult teeth, and suddenly the migraines disappeared.

On that happy note-goodnight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2004, 09:07:46 PM »

DRMATTH I didn't make it through Lost In Translation at all....and didn't go back!

Migraines....ugh!

Such sad news about STAR! Mr BK - I had high hopes for that because of Daniel Massey's performance and some of the staging of the musical numbers.....as Julie would say:  "Cripes!"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2004, 09:08:15 PM »

Private Lives....hmmmmmmmmm.....  Well I will tell all tomorrow.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2004, 09:12:33 PM »

Oh, people on the Internet are already saying it's a great transfer - it's sharp, mostly, but I'm sorry, the color is OFF and that's all there is to it.  The film is a big fat bore, and it baffles me why people love it.  I think they just love these big elephantine musical extravaganzas.  But Star has a terrible script, you just don't ever care about Gertie, and the production numbers, one after another, become ludicrous.  Massey is very good, though.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2004, 09:15:16 PM »

I find most people dont really want to hear  realistic feedback, they want compliments, pats on the back.  I'm not that kind of mentor.  I believe if you can be discouraged you should be discouraged.  If you can't be discouraged in the face of harsh realities, maybe you'll survive.

On rare occasions that I do agree to do this, I am blunt, brutal,  no-mincing-of-words. Some have suggested even cruel.  I don't care.  No matter how cruel I am, the realities of the business are crueller.

That last statement has always been my philosophy.  I certainly want to subject my work to the most honest and no-holds-barred critics I know, so I can fix things before sending it out to the real world.  Nothing, to me, is more disappointing than a compliment.  I'm thinking "Yeah, yeah; glad you enjoyed.  Now tell me something I can use."

Some weeks ago, a new musical asked me and a large bunch of other writers to come in and critique their run-through.  Tonight, I saw the finished show, and it was very gratifying to see that they'd taken a great deal of our advice.  We pointed the way to some fixes, and they really ran with it.  And that can be extremely satisfying.

The funny thing about Mr. Pogue saying he's "blunt, brutal,  no-mincing-of-words" is that it increases my desire to have him look at my work.  But I know how you feel: there's a pile of friends' scripts I haven't got to, too.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2004, 09:17:41 PM »

I'm going to grab a bite to eat and I'll be back in about an hour.  Keep the home fries burning, won't you?  I'd like some posts to read for my mental delectation, that's what I'd like.

Emily

« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2004, 09:29:17 PM »

I have a horrible craving for cheese-flavoured popcorn right now.

Just thought I'd share. :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2004, 10:08:31 PM »

I'm afraid I don't have anything for your mental delectation.

Oh, and the reason the subcontractor hasn't finished the job is that he has no place to haul the mountain of excavated dirt that the men with large equipment dug up. Meanwhile, the City has received complaints about it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2004, 10:42:30 PM »

Well....yes, STAR does have a terrible script.  I remember when it came out that I didn't want to see it because at the same time there was a lot of fuss over FUNNY GIRL....and well Fanny Brice....Gertrude Lawrence.....why mess with both movies?  And Julie Andrews really became OLD HAT very quickly - through no fault of her own.

It was really only after her one season television series that I really started to like her a lot.

I like STAR! because of the songs.  All those old songs with lively arrangements and costumed so beautifully.  Actually I bought the soundtrack LP for fifty cents several years before I ever saw the movie, and fell in love with it from the first few measures of the Main Title or Overture.....  I just loved those songs.  My disappointment in the movie itself when I saw it chopped up on television was palpable.

But the Pierrot number, Burlington Bertie from Bow, Jenny, and My Ship were lovely to see.  They are even better to hear.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2004, 10:53:55 PM »

Oh, I just realized I saw Private Lives by Mr Noel Coward portrayed as has been written by Mr Daniel Massey in STAR!

The director really fell down on this one.  There was lots of "old style" posturing and posing which might have worked...it certainly works in The Importance of Being Earnest - but everything was a bit off.  The time was declared to be Summer 1930 - but the clothes of the first two people (Elyot and his new wife Sybil) onstage were completely out of the period.  The second couple (Amanda and her new husband Victor)  were at least accurate in dress and hair!

The set was lovely, but the director tried to be arch....but didn't make it.  The physical movements were clumsily blocked and executed.   The fights between Amanda and Elyot never reached a fury that would cause him to strike her....everything was played on two notes....calm or frenzy...nothing in between.

The maid had seamed stockings - none of the other two women did - and what they called a brioche, was actually a dinner roll from the Kroger Store.  

The writing of course was great - not my favorite Coward - but the execution, and even the final moments were lost because of BAD or NO direction.  

My favorite Noel Coward play is of course BLITHE SPIRIT, with HAY FEVER and DESIGN FOR LIVING following very closely behind!

This particular production is headed for Syracuse New York, so any DR's in that area might look for it.  Jay Stratton as Victor and Lise Bruneau as Amanda were best....but nobody was awful!  The "dancing" was also completely out of character and ungraceful.

I know, I know, I am being very critical - but THIS IS THE THEATRE that puts itself at the TOP of the heap in Indianapolis and prides itself on its culture.  It just ain't so.  But then DR JANE & KEITH now have Libby Appel to deal with and at least THAT horror has passed!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2004, 10:54:10 PM »

Sad and shocking news in the NHL:

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2326960

That is shocking!  I had no idea that Mike Danton was formerly known as Mike Jefferson.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2004, 10:57:39 PM »

What else can I write about for MR BK to read?

Oh Happy Anniversary MR AND MRS JMK!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2004, 10:59:52 PM »

http://www.horror-wood.com/allison.htm

Oh....here is a link to my internet biography of Miss Allison Hayes, if you haven't read it MR BK.  This is part two but there is a link to part one in the introduction.   8)

That should take you a few minutes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2004, 11:00:25 PM »

Where else but here is such information given Mr TCB?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2004, 11:01:13 PM »

BK, what went terribly wrong with this country was George Bush.  That we have no national health care system is absurd and that we who have health coverage through our work and employment have to pay ever-increasing  fees for diminishing benefits is a crime.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2004, 11:01:46 PM »

Hmmmmmmmm whenever I try to save a photo, my system saves it as a BITMAP even if it is a jpeg....this is most disconcerting.

Does any DR have a remedy for this problem?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2004, 11:10:30 PM »

Relaxing music???  The 1812 Overture.

“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2004, 11:11:41 PM »

Pogue: I agree, but feel that while Bush is no help about anything, it happened before him.

Jrand: I, too, like the songs and orchestrations of Star!  I just don't like the bloated film.

I saw a pretty divoon production of Blithe Spirit in 1969 at the Billy Rose, with Tammy Grimes and Brian Bedford.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2004, 11:23:17 PM »

I just love Blithe Spirit....  I bet Tammy  and Brian were terrific!  What a great combination.  Brian has that wonderful British sense without the distracting snobbishness (Rex Harrison) or silly ass expressions (David Niven) - who was The Medium?

If you tell me Hermione Gingold - what I wouldn't give for a time machine.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 11:23:52 PM by JRand53 »

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2004, 11:27:51 PM »

Thanks for the review JRand. IMHO there is no  humour in Coward unless the lines are delivered really well. Maggie Smith was my favourite Amanda.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2004, 11:31:33 PM »

Jeez, did I say Blithe Spirit???  I meant Private Lives.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2004, 11:44:27 PM »

Present Laughter is still my favorite Coward, with Blithe Spirit second.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up