Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: KNOCK ON WOOD  (Read 46349 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
KNOCK ON WOOD
« on: April 17, 2004, 12:00:54 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've seen the good, the bad and the ugly of the notes and now it is time to post until the cows come home, and I happen to know those cows ain't comin' back for a LONG time.  Let's not have a dreary Saturday - let's keep the home fries burning whilst I am away, and then I shall join in the merriment and mirth and laughter and legs upon my return and I promise to be my own frenzy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 12:01:04 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:KNOCK ON WOOD
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 12:19:58 AM »

Knock on wood. Or, if you’re outside and there is no wood, knock on weed.

I have some college friends who wouldn't have to go outside...  :-\
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 12:22:12 AM »

NOW WAIT A GOL-DURN SECOND HERE!!!!!

AN ENTIRE DAY WITH A TITLE THAT URGES PEOPLE TO PICK ON ME?

I'D LIKE TO KNOW JUST WHAT I'VE DONE TO DESERVE THIS ABUSE!!!!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 12:25:57 AM »

TOD:

I find Mike Oldfield's instrumental works quite relaxing.  This includes Amarok, which is quite bizarre, and which most people would find irritating as hell.  I've never even played it for der Brucer, because I don't think he'd be patient enough for the payoff at the end, or even the mini-payoffs along the way.

Oldfield as a songwriter, on the other hand, is a terrible mistake, IMO.  So it goes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 12:28:49 AM »

And here's a challenge for everyone, in two parts.

Part one: Remember how the opening base-line to "Inna Godda da Vida" goes.

Got it?

Part two: Now try to forget how the opening base-line to "Inna Godda da Vida" goes.

I thought you all would enjoy a challenge.

;D

Jed

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 12:39:07 AM »

You are a cruel, cruel man, Woody!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 12:43:27 AM »

I couldn't get past step one...I suppose I should be grateful :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 12:47:35 AM »

I'm glad to see that some people are not Wussburgers.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 12:55:52 AM »

Back from seeing KILL BILL, vol 2. Enjoyed it. Speaking of Sergio Leone - as bk was - there is quite a bit of "borrowing" from him in this one. The Good, the Bad and the Tarantino. But, I liked the movie. Very different from vol. 1. There is one sequence in which my mind said, "Don't be stupid and get claustrophobic, it's only a movie..." But the rest of me wouldn't listen and i broke out in a sweat and had trouble breathing. But obviously I survived or I wouldn't be writing this.
I'm not at all sleepy. I guess part of the fun of being all grown up is that I could stay up all night if I wanted to.

Jed

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 01:08:02 AM »

Never a weekend Wussburger.

Panni

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 01:12:19 AM »

Calming music...
Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg Variations. There is something about this recording that puts me into a different space from the one I'm in. It's hypnotic - even his humming.

Jobim's music - Bossa nova - cool, calm, sexy. I have a Jazz Masters compilation album of his that I really like.

Various Anonymous 4 albums - 11th to 14th century chants.

Panni

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2004, 01:15:44 AM »

...And bk introduced me to two wonderful Bill Evans albums - Bill Evans Trio with Symphony Orchestra and Conversations with Myself - which I've listened to a lot lately when I've been feeling stressed.

Panni

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2004, 01:17:42 AM »

Wussburger or not, I should at least attempt to go to bed.

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2004, 01:22:35 AM »

Today's topic: I am quite likely to play any one of my Nigel Kennedy Cds - most often it has been The Doors Concerto "Riders on The Storm". If I really need calming music I would play Tony O'Connor's "Rainforest Magic" or one of my "Howling Wind" CDs. "Howling Wind" is Shane Howard. (There are same names for bored readers to research).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2004, 07:16:18 AM »

Calming music for me is and always has been Claude Debussy. I absolutely adore "Claire de Lune" and "Reverie" and "Le Mer."

I also love Leroy Anderson's light symphonic pieces which vary from grand and sweeping ("Belle of the Ball") to soothing like "The Waltzing Cat" to something sweetly stirring like "Serebande."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 07:17:12 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2004, 07:26:44 AM »

For relaxation I will often pop in my CD of Paul Weston and his Orchestra MOOD MUSIC and DREAM TIME MUSIC. Very soothing.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2004, 08:11:39 AM »

Barbara Cook is better than ever and since she was always wonderful that is saying a lot.  She may not have all the really high notes she had in her youth, but she looks and sings better than most people half her age.  Her program consists mostly of songs she has done and recorded over the years, but it is beautifully put together, and her between-song patter is so good that she could spend the whole ninety minutes doing a standup act and still be as wonderful.  From the fact that the Playbill® lists several more songs than she actually sings, I am assuming she changes her slightly program from night to night.  She'll be back in June and I'll be there again.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2004, 08:11:54 AM »

I make the distinction, as have several Dear Readers already, between music to which one might relax and music to which one might be calmed.  For calming music, none succeeds more than the slow movement from Brahms' Concerto for Violin and Cello (The "Double" Concerto.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2004, 08:14:10 AM »

Barbara Cook is better than ever and since she was always wonderful that is saying a lot.  She may not have all the really high notes she had in her youth, but she looks and sings better than most people half her age.  Her program consists mostly of songs she has done and recorded over the years, but it is beautifully put together, and her between-song patter is so good that she could spend the whole ninety minutes doing a standup act and still be as wonderful.  From the fact that the Playbill® lists several more songs than she actually sings, I am assuming she changes her slightly program from night to night.  She'll be back in June and I'll be there again.

IMHO, both Miss Cook and the late Miss Rosemary Clooney, as wonderful as they were in their younger years, improved with age, like very fine wines.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2004, 08:15:15 AM »

This is my 500th post... since the changes made to the site.  I would imagine that since I have been here since Day 1, I've made at least 1000.

I've made friends through HHW, exchanged CDs through the site, and caused some controversy with some of my posts and opinions.  I hope the board is around long enough to make 5000 posts or more.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 08:16:08 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2004, 08:20:20 AM »

Congratulations, Dear Reader William E. Lurie!

With your next post you ascend to Valhalla and join the Gods of HHW.com!

Panni

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2004, 08:36:22 AM »

IMHO, both Miss Cook and the late Miss Rosemary Clooney, as wonderful as they were in their younger years, improved with age, like very fine wines.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing Miss Cook live. But some years ago, the first time I lived in LA, during MOL ("MY Other Life") my then mother-in-law was visiting from Canada and I got last minute tickets for the Hollywood Bowl - Rosemary Clooney and Michael Feinstein. For some totally bizarre reason our seats were right up front. I mean, practically on stage. What a pleasure it was to see Miss Clooney like that. She was superb! And I felt she was singing just for me - as I'm sure the people at the back of the Bowl also felt.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 08:37:54 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2004, 08:39:54 AM »

I, too, hope this board is around long enough, although I must say I've been pretty much deserted by the people who help keep it running, and that I don't know what to do about.  I've been told that getting entries up to Juliana's Journal is too time consuming now - even though those entries go up about once ever six weeks if we're lucky.  So, I have to figure out how to deal with that part of the site.  But as long as the board part is self-sufficient it will be up.  They can desert us but they can't kill us.

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2004, 08:56:26 AM »

For those of you in the area, I can HIGHLY recommend  Peter Mintun.  Definitely go see if you can.     Hokum Hall?  I love it!   If you go, tell Peter I sent you and give him a hug for me.  

Mintun CDs for sale at CDbaby.com

April 23 and 24th-- PETER MINTUN
Appearing in Seattle
What's that? You say you don't live anywhere near Seattle?
Well, tell your friends in the northwest!

PETER MINTUN
in Concert at the Chickering Piano
Friday and Saturday, April 23 and 24th
New York Cabaret Artist Peter Mintun plays music from the glory days of Tin Pan Alley
Don't miss this chance to hear one of America's musical treasures in a rare solo appearance.

Make reservations by e-mail:
<Hokumhall@earthlink.net>
Hokum Hall
7904 35th Avenue SW, Seattle, WA 98126 (206) 937-3613
http://www.hokumhall.org

PETER MINTUN CDS Available directly from <http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mintun1> SHOP ON LINE

Grand Piano
American Popular Music of the '20s, '30s & '40s

MM 1875

Deep Purple
And Other Piano Solos from the 1920s and '30s
MM 1877

I like boat races.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2004, 08:58:36 AM »

I'm baaaaacccckkkkk.   :)

Betsy and I are now in our second decade of wedded bliss.  Or, as a married couple friend of ours joked a few years ago on their 5th anniversary, "Wow, it seems like a lot more wedded bliss than that!"

Gabe's cast is off, though his arm looks a little peculiar.  We think we will be getting a second opinion, since the osteopath who "casted" him is never available and we see the 20-something physician's assistant every time we go.

Re:  relaxing music--I'm with DR Panni--Brasilian music does it for me.  If you love Jobim, may I recommend some other great singer/songwriters from Brasil for your delectation:  Edu Lobo, Marcos Valle, Milton Nascimento, Ivan Lins, and, from the "new generation", Nando Lauria.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jay

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2004, 09:05:31 AM »

I fear I shall be largely errant and truant this weekend, Dear Readers, as I am leaving now for an overnight sojourn to San Diego, and I am unsure as to what the connectivity situation will be like there.

Keep the home fries burning; I shall miss all of you lovely people out there in the dark.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 09:06:17 AM by Jay »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2004, 09:12:49 AM »

Holy moley on rye - I just read a thing in Backstage about making cast albums.  They talked to Tommy Krasker, Billy Rosenfield, Phil Ramone, Flaherty and Ahrens and Jay David Saks.  Fine.  But I had to laugh because at several points in the article people are saying almost exact quotes of things I've said in interviews over the years, things that have NEVER been said by anyone else who's done this but me.  I know when I say these things you all think, oh come on, but I kid you not.  One of them says, "Don't ever watch the singer, it will fool you every time."  I have never heard a Broadway record producer say this - I said it back in 1993 when I began and I've been saying it ever since and I've said it to some of these very people.  That, and quite a few other things, like separation between band and orchestra, and doing pickups because you have good separation - sorry boys, but no one was really doing that before Vinnie and I came along, which is why you get mistakes on older cast albums.  People were shocked when we'd put the leads in a booth or do enough separation that we could do a few fixes if we got a great take from the band and the singer missed a note or two.  It gave the singer comfort and because of that comfort we didn't really have to do it all that much.  They talk about (and almost quote verbatim lines I've said) about making the Broadway people comfortable in front of a microphone, how it's like a closeup in a movie (I mean, come ON, I've been saying this since the beginning).  Well, I'm glad I was there in spirit anyway.

It reminds me of the time I was in Joe Allen and Mike Berniker was sitting next to me.  He was about to produce the revival album of The Most Happy Fella.  We chatted and he told me he was petrified of the two-piano thing and that he was concerned about how to do the recording.  He asked if I had ideas.  I told him that I'd done one of those and been disappointed with the result, because to me the only way to make it work is to make the two pianos a character, as important as the actors (which I did when I did Ruthless and I Do! I Do!.  Apparently, the next day Mr. Berniker walked into the studio and said, "I want the two-pianos to be a character, as important as the actors."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2004, 09:22:01 AM »

LOL.....it's kind of like when the actors are interviewed for a show you direct - and they give quotes of things you told them....as if they thought of them!  LOL.....always kind of a shock to see someone else credited with your thoughts and phrases - eh?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICK REDMAN - thanks especially for the STATE FAIR soundtrack CD!  One of my very favorites of all!

Whenever I want to feel better, I listen to Guy Haines album OR the Doris Day-Andre Previn CD....  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2004, 09:25:20 AM »

Holy moley on rye -

I think you're being very polite. IMHO the f--rs should've interviewed you and that's all there is to it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 09:27:05 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2004, 09:28:33 AM »

I've corrected it, but I spelled "interviewed" with an "f" at the end. That old geezer Freud knew what he was talking about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up