Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CRACK OF DAWN  (Read 14909 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE CRACK OF DAWN
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2010, 04:06:30 PM »

I enjoyed the Oscars last night.  I didn't think the opening number was great, but it was certainly better than Rob Lowe and Snow White.

I enjoyed the John Jughes tribute, and I thought Molly Ringwald looked better than she has looked in several years.  Unfortunately Judd Nelson looks like he was sprung from the asylum.

I don't understand why the camera operators and the director can't get in synch at the start of the In Memorium section, instead of five or six names into the tribute.  I think it was very tragic that Farrah and Harve Presnell, and Bea Arthur were left out of the tribute.  TMZ, or one of those web pages, ran a story about forgetting Farrah and asking for comments from readers.  Within a few hours the outrage had grown, not only for Farrah, Harve, Bea, and Henry Gibson; but also indignation over the exclusion of Walter Cronkite and Billy Mays.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2010, 04:17:52 PM »

You know, years ago they included many more people in the RIP tribute on the Oscars. I don't know why they can't do that, still.

I thought it was a very low number, too. And the fact that they can never seem to get the switching---oh----I mean, the EDITING---thanks, Tyler Perry for that boneheaded and WRONG explanation, which the director couldn't even execute correctly---right so some people get missed is inexcusable. They have plenty of time to rehearse that.

The "In Memoriam" bits are hit-and-miss for me. Sometimes they have a beautifully edited montage and sometimes it's throw together by someone who didn't care. I thought it was kind of nice to have James Taylor perform a song live but too bad they couldn't find a song from a movie.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2010, 04:21:14 PM »

I liked the John Hughes tribute, knowing how many actors got their start in his films. I would have liked to have seen even more actors participate: John Cusack, Eric Stolz, Andrew McCarthy, etc. I didn't even recognize Judd Nelson.

But I thought the horror montage was a pointless waste of time. It was well-cut but not enough films were represented, and some were films that didn't seem to be of the genre. Marathon Man? Really?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Laura

« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »

Did Billy Mays and Walter Cronkite make movies?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Edisaurus

« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »

Speaking of, after watching the rough cut of our current film, the star of Marathon Man has signed on to be our narrator. Whoopeee!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2010, 04:25:43 PM »

I thought Alec and Steve did a superb job as hosts last night. They were fast, funny, didn't wear out their welcome ever, and didn't push for effect. If something didn't work, they moved on. Wonderful.

The awards are the awards, so I don't think there is much chance of the envelope opening ever changing. I LIKED not reading the list of nominees for Best Picture since we'd spent the entire show seeing clips from them. By that time, one wants the show to BE OVER, so thank you, Tom Hanks, for doing that.

I agree completely, Matt.  I think most people watching the Oscars have a good idea what films are nominated, and after three hours of clips, what is the point of running down the list again.  Amen to Tom Hanks.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »

Oh, I think we need a picture of that, Ginny!!

I think my eye will probably look like Ben Stiller's looked when he presented the Academy Award for make-up last night.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »

Ginny, you  mean the white part of your eye is going to turn green and yellow?

That's what it sounded like, DR Laura.  I'll let you know.

VIBES IT DOESN'T HURT OR INTERFERE WITH YOUR VISION!!

I hope you don't have any special events to attend in the near future ;)

Well, Richard and I are in the process of applying for passports and I've decided to wait a while to have my photo taken.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »

I'm still reading the posts from last night.

RE: the Red Carpet show on ABC and the hosts

I thought Kathy Ireland looked nice. But i did not like her as an interviewer at all.

I have no idea who the short guy was but i did not care for him either.

The short guy you didn't care for is the editor of Entertainment Weekly.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »

I just got a phone call from Jim Morgan of the York Theatre; I've been asked to be on a panel for a talk with the audience after the performance of YANK! tomorrow night. I guess I'll be listening to early 40s music all day tomorrow to get in the mood.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »

Proofed another long chapter of the book and shall now get ready to sup and then see a reading of a new musical.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »

I just got a phone call from Jim Morgan of the York Theatre; I've been asked to be on a panel for a talk with the audience after the performance of YANK! tomorrow night. I guess I'll be listening to early 40s music all day tomorrow to get in the mood.

And while you're there ask that peckerwood why he has never had the courtesy to even let me know he'd received the Nudie script.

Ginny

« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »

DR Elmore - sounds interesting.  You'll be great!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2010, 04:35:36 PM »

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I thought the RIP section started with Patrick Swayze, who was clearly shown (at least on my tv, LOL).  What exactly was missed?  Are you talking about a switch to a full screen of the feed rather than an in-theater shot?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Edisaurus

« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »

Salon called the two filmmakers involved in the Kanye-esque incident after the awards, and here's what they said about the incident:

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/oscars/index.html?story=/ent/movies/2010/03/07/music_by_prudence_burkett

I can totally relate to how that felt. I have been in a similar position. On S&V, I graciously invited our online editor on stage with me. He proceeded to yank the microphone out of my hand and take center stage and talk about how my partner had made the film and "soldiered on" for years. I had also worked on it for years, for free, while this guy worked on it for two weeks, on salary. When I tried to thank some of the other people in the audience who had worked on it, he grabbed the mike from my hand and said "thank you and goodnight"! I think he was drunk or stoned or something, but it was very embarrassing.

The director whose house we were at last night was at that screening, and after this guy was mouthing off about certain PBS entities turning down our film, the director asked a few pointed questions and then it was obvious that the guy had no idea what he was talking about. Afterwards, the director remarked that this guy looked like a totally rude jackass and vowed never to work with him.

So I see this incident from the director's point of view, but also from the woman's, who initiated the project and had a vision for the film and then the film was hijacked. It was not a very classy way to deal with it but at least it got us listening to her point of view. I wonder which would have been the better film?

Edisaurus

« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I thought the RIP section started with Patrick Swayze, who was clearly shown (at least on my tv, LOL).  What exactly was missed?  Are you talking about a switch to a full screen of the feed rather than an in-theater shot?

Yes, I think he was the first one but not very visible.

Jennifer

« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »

I thought Alec and Steve did a superb job as hosts last night. They were fast, funny, didn't wear out their welcome ever, and didn't push for effect. If something didn't work, they moved on. Wonderful.

The awards are the awards, so I don't think there is much chance of the envelope opening ever changing. I LIKED not reading the list of nominees for Best Picture since we'd spent the entire show seeing clips from them. By that time, one wants the show to BE OVER, so thank you, Tom Hanks, for doing that.

I agree completely, Matt.  I think most people watching the Oscars have a good idea what films are nominated, and after three hours of clips, what is the point of running down the list again.  Amen to Tom Hanks.

Well I said before that I disagree.  But to me it has less to do with the fact that i might not remember what is nominated vs the fact that it just seemed awfully rushed.

Yes we knew it was going to be either Avatar or The Hurt Locker.  But I would have liked to have the whole list mentioned.

Imagine if for any other category they just blurted out the winner.  If you just tuned in for part of the Oscars you might not know every movie that was in the category. And i feel like if they are going to have 10 nominees then it would be nice to act like they are all important enough to be mentioned.

Jennifer

« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »

I thought Kathy Ireland looked nice. But i did not like her as an interviewer at all.

Do you know his name?

Edisaurus

« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »

I really don't like the new format where the actors spend at least 10 minutes telling us what the nominees mean to them. It seems tailored for the reality tv crowd and geared to make the nominees tear up. The camera never cuts away because they might miss some little nuance of expression. They would rather have that, and the beginning thing where they introduce the nominees, and then no performance of the nominated songs. But a big "dance" production with lots of people spinning on their heads. And a horror montage?

Then all of the other people who work on films get their awards the day before. The actors get huge salaries. Why not give a little back to the crew who make the films and make the actors look good?

Edisaurus

« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2010, 04:44:19 PM »

But I'm not bitter...

Edisaurus

« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2010, 04:44:31 PM »

Well, maybe I am, a little...

Edisaurus

« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2010, 04:45:06 PM »

I confess I also didn't know half of the actors, which makes me feel old.

Jennifer

« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »

Yes, I think he was the first one but not very visible.

He was visible to me. And since he was the first one it's the one i remember seeing the most.

Edisaurus

« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2010, 04:46:27 PM »

People were talking so much that I couldn't hear the NPH song, but it seemed pretty lame. And I like him. I wanted to like it.

And "I Am Woman"...completely lame and embarrassing.

Edisaurus

« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »

TOD:

Jeff Bridges: BAD COMPANY, TUCKER (love Joe Jackson's "Rhythm Delivery" song!) and SEABISCUIT (score by Randy Newman...sort of...)

Beau Bridges: 2 TNT productions: KISSINGER AND NIXON and his guest appearance this past season on THE CLOSER

Lloyd Bridges: AIRPLANE (a clip from this film starts off our current doc)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2010, 05:09:07 PM »

No!
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2010, 05:12:35 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2010, 05:13:59 PM »

Do you know his name?

Yes I do.  Jess Cagle.
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »

No!

Then they weren't snubbed; they weren't in the movie business.
"That's a lotta hamsters."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up