Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CRACK OF DAWN  (Read 14565 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE CRACK OF DAWN
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 06:29:30 AM »

Yes, errant and truant, we know why you weren't here - we only question why you would want to miss the merriment and mirth and laughter and legs and being with your fellow hainsies/kimlets.  We shall, I'm sure, be left to wonder.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 06:30:25 AM »

TOD

Lloyd: The Airplane movies
Beau: United States (Thanks, DR Dan, for the reminder. I never missed an episode. Incredible TV.)
Jeff: The list is long, because he's been one of my faves for years: Texasville, The Big Lebowski, Last Picture Show, Fisher King, Tucker, Fat City, Hearts of the West, The Iceman Cometh, Cutter's Way and I'm probably forgetting one or two others.

Didn't watch the Oscars last night. From the photos BK posted, I guess I didn't miss much -- or I missed too much. What attacked Molly Ringwald? Wasn't she once known for her taste?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 06:38:40 AM »

An online travel magazine, Where2Now, has published the first of a two-part series I wrote on the trip to Botswana. It's at http://www.where2nowmag.com, if you're interested.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 06:42:24 AM »

Favourite Jeff Bridges movie:  HEARTS OF THE WEST

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:04 AM »

re: the fashion from last night

I have to say I thought a  lot of people looked nice. But there were very few dresses that i loved.

I think the one person who i thought looked totally stunning was demi moore (sort of a light browny/peachy/beige ruffled bottom).

Sigorney weaver (red dress, black sash). She looked okay. But not my taste at all.

Cameron Diaz (gold shimmer). I thought she looked better when she presented. The dress didn't look right to me on the red carpet. Just okay.
Carey Mulligan (black short). It wasn't bad. I'm not sure i loved how long it was in the back. And i didn't even notice about the weird scissor things on the front.

Robert Downey Jr (blue tie-blue shades). I thought he looked great.
Vera Farmiga (bright pink seashell bottom). I really liked this on her.
Sandra Bullock.I thought she looked nice. Her dress was nice. I just didn't love it.
Sarah Jessica Parker. I know some didn't like this (buttery with no shape). But i thought she looked amazing. To me she always does. Her hair was so poofy and nice. And although i wish the dress had some shape, i thought the scarf was dramatic and the jewels on top were lovely.

Helen Mirren. She always looks lovely and regal and appropriated dressed.
Meryl Streep (white). She looked fine. But not my taste. She always dresses down.
Oprah (navy). I thought she looked beautiful. The dress was very slimming.
Kate Winslet (silver). Not my favorite. She looked fine. But i hated her hair.
Amanda Seyfriend (shimmery silver). She looked lovely.
Miley Cyrus. I thought she looked fine. Not my favorite. But she looked nice.
Maggie Gyllenhaul (blue patterned dress). Nice dress. But not fancy enough for the oscars.
Penelope Cruz (burgundy). She looked lovely as always.
Kathryn Bigelow (light brown). I loved this dress on her.

John G.

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 06:46:31 AM »

THE HURT LOCKER looks my-T interesting....much more so than I thought.

Congrats to Kathryn Bigelow!
I was really surprised at how good this movie was (on DVD). I'm pleased it won. I hope it gets many more to see it.
― Voltaire

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 06:52:46 AM »

Good morning!

It was overcast this morning, but all of that has cleared away and it promises to be a beautiful day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 06:57:01 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I have a doctor's appointment in an hour.

Thanks to DRs Edi and Jennifer for the vibes I found this morning.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 07:00:12 AM »

I thought Alec and Steve did a superb job as hosts last night. They were fast, funny, didn't wear out their welcome ever, and didn't push for effect. If something didn't work, they moved on. Wonderful.

I'd rather have heard the songs and skipped the danced scores, but they've done danced scores before, and this was no better or worse than the others. I just think it's not a good idea since the dancing has nothing whatsoever to do with the films. (The street dancing was spectacular, by the way.)

And as for the introductions of the best actor/ actress nominees by friends/former co-stars, etc. It's a good idea, but they need to dwell on the work being nominated (which is why they're there, after all) rather than in telling old stories (however amusing) about former experiences on some other movie.

The awards are the awards, so I don't think there is much chance of the envelope opening ever changing. I LIKED not reading the list of nominees for Best Picture since we'd spent the entire show seeing clips from them. By that time, one wants the show to BE OVER, so thank you, Tom Hanks, for doing that.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 07:00:59 AM »

I did laugh myself silly this morning on all the riffs on that ridiculous PRECIOUS title. Congrats, guys.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 07:02:21 AM »

Today I'll be working on BIGGER THAN LIFE on DVD. I have the Blu-ray release, too, but the DVD will be watched first. It's a Fox film from 1956 which has been licensed to Criterion to release. I've never seen it, so this should be an interesting movie with the cast (James Mason) and director (Nicholas Ray) during their glory years.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2010, 07:07:41 AM »

And a new CASTLE, CHUCK, '24,' DAMAGES, and LAW & ORDER for me.

Life is good.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2010, 07:07:50 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's another Spring-like day here in NYC!...

...Which will hopefully make all the running around I have to do today a bit (more?) pleasant.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2010, 07:16:22 AM »

And speaking of running around...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »

There were no UPS shipments this morning, so it looks like I'm good to go with BIGGER THAN LIFE today as my work project.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:28 AM »

I guess I need to head downstairs now to get cleaned up for lunch out today with best friend John.

WBBL.

Laura

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:39 AM »

Monday Morning Birding was called off again due to rain. It's been at least a month since we've gone.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 08:26:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: LAVE!

And The Song Of THe Day Is: I'M GONNA WASH THAT MAN RIGHT OUTTA MY HAIR

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 08:34:12 AM »

DR MATTH - I enjoyed BIGGER THAN LIFE the only time I saw it on television.  The color is great....and considering it's Ray, you have a lot of RED!

Mason is okay.....but for me the performance that makes the movie is the beee-yooo-teee-full BARBARA RUSH.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2010, 08:34:51 AM »

Monday Morning Birding was called off again due to rain. It's been at least a month since we've gone.

DR LAURA you know those birds need new photos for their modeling portfolios, they were probably all on the Runway waiting for the cameras.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 08:35:32 AM »

That Damned Helen Mirren based on the novel Hell Mouth by Fire & Brimstone

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2010, 08:39:41 AM »

TOD:  "Starman" and "Fearless" are my two favorite Bridges movies.  I haven't seen "The Last Picture Show" since I saw it in a theater on its first release.  I'm also a bit intrigued by "Hearts of the West", but ultimately find I want to think it's better than it really is.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »

I thought Alec and Steve did a superb job as hosts last night. They were fast, funny, didn't wear out their welcome ever, and didn't push for effect. If something didn't work, they moved on. Wonderful.

I'd rather have heard the songs and skipped the danced scores, but they've done danced scores before, and this was no better or worse than the others. I just think it's not a good idea since the dancing has nothing whatsoever to do with the films. (The street dancing was spectacular, by the way.)

And as for the introductions of the best actor/ actress nominees by friends/former co-stars, etc. It's a good idea, but they need to dwell on the work being nominated (which is why they're there, after all) rather than in telling old stories (however amusing) about former experiences on some other movie.

The awards are the awards, so I don't think there is much chance of the envelope opening ever changing. I LIKED not reading the list of nominees for Best Picture since we'd spent the entire show seeing clips from them. By that time, one wants the show to BE OVER, so thank you, Tom Hanks, for doing that.

I have long despised the presentation of the song nominees.  Will NEVER forget/forgive the year that Beyonce sang three of them.   Years ago, Debbie Allen worked some of her lead-footed imagination into choreography to accompany best scores...and it was all tap....and you just haven't LIVED until you've seen someone tap to "Schindler's List".

The one thing I can say "in favor of" last night's presentation with dance was that it gave the nominated scores a showcase to be heard.   Once upon a (wonderful) time, the likes of John Green (and, occasionally, Alfred Newman) would conduct the Academy orchestra and do a presentation of the score nominees with the audience simply listening to it as though it were a symphonic performance.

I'm supposing "that" just isn't considered catchy enough any longer.  The concept was flirted with off and on over the past 15 years or so with the Oscar show "overture" being played over opening credits or montages...and the overture featured -- unheralded -- selections from the nominated scores.

I would much prefer they do a montage from the films and put the appropriate music to the montage.  But what the hell do "I" know!?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »

THE BANK SHOT is now on MGM-HD

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »

You know, during the tributes, since they are never going to get it right.....why don't they also have a montage of actors whose careers were dead and then got resurrected during the year.....kind of an Easter Tribute to Forgotten Performers.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »

Nothing except tax work would have kept me from the party, and I'd like to thank so many people  for helping me get through those tax returns.  

And being in the company of elmore, Ben, Jane et al can never be a bad thing by any means :) , although who this "al" is i don;t know.

Thank you.  You make it seem like an honor now.  :)

Did Bruce want me to skip my important exercises, or relax my shoulder afterward & for a change watch part of the Oscars on the same night?  I can't watch & post.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2010, 09:19:45 AM »

Favorite line by Steve martin that I'm still laughing at is there's "Damn Helen Mirren"  - oh, that's Dame Helen MIrren.

;D  I also liked comparing things in common with the star of "Precious"

Jane

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2010, 09:21:24 AM »

Babysitting went very well yesterday. Although it was much longer than i had thought. I didn't get home till 6:30pm.

My sister and my niece left at 1:30pm. But she had put little Jadie (9 months old) to sleep. And she slept for an hour. Then when she woke up she was actually in a very good mood. So we played for an hour. Went for a walk for almost an hour. Played more. And then at 5pm my mom and i gave her her dinner.

Only thing is the baby cereal smelled so bad. I felt bad giving it to her. Yuck!

But then she had her baby food squash and baby food pears. And then i carried her around for 30 minutes. And at 6pm they came home. Success!

:)  The nap while her mother departed must of helped.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2010, 09:22:14 AM »

I'm still reading the posts from last night.

RE: the Red Carpet show on ABC and the hosts

I thought Kathy Ireland looked nice. But i did not like her as an interviewer at all.

I have no idea who the short guy was but i did not care for him either.

But re: Sherri shepherd, I thought she was hilarious. But that's her personality. I could see if some people did not like her (she is the one who wanted to marry george clooney with his girlfriend there).

I do wish i could have watched ryan seacrest.  He usually asks good questions.

The guy (Ben Mulroney) who did the interviews in Canada got a lot better. But i was absolutely mortified when he spoke to sandra bullock. I am not sure if he did not think he would get to speak to her. I do realize it's live and whatever you say is what you say. But he asked her if after she won for Best Actress if she was going to take a pic of her and her oscar and email it to meryl streep. The answer was so awkward. I was embarrassed watching it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2010, 09:24:39 AM »

Today is International Women's Day.

Congratulations to all the women here on HHW.....a unique, entertaining, and SMART group of ladies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up