Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ESPECIALLY TIRED NOTES  (Read 14905 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE ESPECIALLY TIRED NOTES
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2010, 01:29:32 PM »

Then I watched my work project for the day DILLINGER IS DEAD. Yes, it was a strange film, basically the mundane evening and morning of a discontented man: he cooks his own dinner after he is left cold leftovers by his wife, he polunders in the pantry and finds an old revolver which may have been the property of John Dillinger (hence the title of the film), a gun he proceeds to work on all night off and on taking it apart, oiling it and getting it to work. He shows old home movies and tries to jump into them on the wall. He sneaks upstairs and dallies with the live-in maid. He takes a snake toy and squirms it around his sleeping wife (who's dead to the world after taking two sleeping pills). And on and on all night long.

Won't spoil the ending for anyone who might want to see it, but it does, of course, come as a surprise after all of the nothing things that happen during the evening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »

Page Four Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »

I watched all of the bonus features, too. One was an interview with the film's star Michel Piccoli who offers his interpretation of the film. Another is by a scolar of the director who had a completely different interpretation of the events of the movie. And there was a roundtable discussion at Cannes of the director a few months after he died. Bertolucci was one of the participants. And the trailer was included.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »

I was glad to be finished with that somewhat pretentious movie.

I then skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest. More Damian stuff which has gotten more and more ludicrous by the day.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »

Kyle and Oliver were both on ONE LIFE TO LIVE so that was enjoyable. Big news that John McBain now has two different ladies pregnant. Sheesh!

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2010, 01:37:08 PM »

And I ended my afternoon watching some of THE RIVER WILD on one of the HBO-HD channels. It's such a great thriller that if I have time tonight, I'm going to take the DVD off the shelf and start it where I left off on the DVR. The DVD has the original widescreen aspect ratio while the HBO-HD version's was modified to 1.78:1 which I just can't stand.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »

I also hope to watch the 1933 ALICE IN WONDERLAND on DVD which arrived yesterday in the mail. Haven't seen it in decades.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2010, 01:46:10 PM »

Finally finished with shipping everything.  The new stuff actually went very quickly - it was all the dealer orders, which I was very behind on, that took forever.  Everything is finally on its way, with only two dealer orders to ship tomorrow.  Cason and I had lunch and now I am going back to bookland for the rest of the day.  I want to finish and would love to talk to muse Margaret tonight, but I have to go to another reading of a new musical, so I'll try to get everything done with her tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »

Guess I'll hop off-line now and get some writing done. How do you write about nothing? Ugh!

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »

Oh, rats!

WBBL.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »

Ha! Vintage is releasing PUSH by Sapphire in paperback and renaming it PRECIOUS. Jeeez!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120176695
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2010, 02:22:53 PM »

Well, the car is at the shop and I'm at work.  Pray for an inexpensive Rosemary's Baby!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for DR George! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »

Well, new Lipid test results are in and thanks in large part to Jane's incessant nagging, there has been a ginormous improvement:

Total Cholesterol down 29% to 161
Bad Cholesterol down 39% to 84
Good Cholesterol up 19% to 37

Triglycerides are down 31% to 210 (still a little high but an expected side-effect of my other meds.

I just wish I knew how much is attributable to the Zocor, and how much diet. I insisted on trying the Zocor, for which there is an el-cheapo generic rather than the budget-busting Lipitor. Cheap may not be best but it seems good enough!

der Brucer

PS to Jane - I took Keith's recommendation on Mayo and trashed the low-fat for the lite - much, much better; I can live with it.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »

Ha! Vintage is releasing PUSH by Sapphire in paperback and renaming it PRECIOUS. Jeeez!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120176695

This is not the first time that this has happened.  I don't remember specific titles, but I've had to add "see also" headings on some titles in our library's computer so that people who search for the movie title will also find the book title.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2010, 02:33:41 PM »

%#&*!!!  I did not dodge the bullet today and must report for jury duty at 8:30am tomorrow.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »

Well, the car is at the shop and I'm at work.  Pray for an inexpensive Rosemary's Baby!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for DR George! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks!  I'm still waiting to hear from them about how much it'll be, though.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2010, 02:35:56 PM »

%#&*!!!  I did not dodge the bullet today and must report for jury duty at 8:30am tomorrow.

~~~Vibes That The Case Will Be Settled Before It Actually Goes To Trial for DR Ginny!!~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2010, 02:43:24 PM »

Is this in Middletown or do you have to go to Hamilton?

It's time to get ready for YANK!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »

I just took Miss Dixie Bell for a long drive.  We ended up at The Pittsburgh Mills (home of Borders) where she wagged hello to a couple of co-workers and won the admiration of many passersby.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Julie

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »

Well, new Lipid test results are in and thanks in large part to Jane's incessant nagging, there has been a ginormous improvement:

Total Cholesterol down 29% to 161
Bad Cholesterol down 39% to 84
Good Cholesterol up 19% to 37

Triglycerides are down 31% to 210 (still a little high but an expected side-effect of my other meds.

I just wish I knew how much is attributable to the Zocor, and how much diet. I insisted on trying the Zocor, for which there is an el-cheapo generic rather than the budget-busting Lipitor. Cheap may not be best but it seems good enough!

der Brucer

PS to Jane - I took Keith's recommendation on Mayo and trashed the low-fat for the lite - much, much better; I can live with it.

Congrats on the new, much better, numbers!

Julie

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »

Off to a Board meeting.

Julie

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »

Ginny - maybe you'll find jury duty interesting?
I doubt they'll even pick you, once you explain to them that you're sure the person is guilty or the cops never would have arrested him.   ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »

TOD:

Giulietta Masina -- LA STRADA, JUILETTE OF THE SPIRITS, FRED AND GINGER

Marcello Mastroianni -- 8 1/2 and LA DOLCE VITA

Gerard Depardieu -- GET OUT YOUR HANDKERCHIEFS, THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE, THE LAST METRO

Sophia Loren -- TWO WOMEN

Carmen Maura -- WOMAN ON THE VIRGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

And, of course Miss Patti LaPone will be starring in the new musical version of WOMAN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS DR DERBRUCER!!  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. 
My guess, it is a combination of diet  meds.

I'm glad the low-fat mayo is working for you.  I'm ok with it on sandwiches, not tossed in egg-salad.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »

Ginny good luck at jury duty.  With luck they will take one look at your eye and send you home. ;)  BTW, how is your eye today?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »

One more comment re: something DRs MattH and TCB said last night about Tom Hanks just saying the winner for Best Picture (and not listing them).

Here is my point. I watched the entire show. But if you asked me to list you right now the entire 10 nominated movies. Well I couldn't do it.

Could you name all five of the nominees for Best Supporting Actor, or the five for Best Cinematography?  They named all of them before they announced the winners of those awards.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »

Thanks for all the jury duty vibes.  While I'm usually pretty open to new experiences, this is one I dread.  Maybe I watch too much Law & Order.

DR Elmore - it's in Hamilton.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »

Ginny good luck at jury duty.  With luck they will take one look at your eye and send you home. ;)  BTW, how is your eye today?

Thanks for asking, DR Jane.  It's looking better to me, or maybe I'm just getting used to it.  My bigger medical concern about jury duty is the prolonged sitting and my proclivity for blood clots.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »

I'm down to the last 120 pages of proofing.  Not sure I'll finish now, as my eyes are really tired.  I'll take a break then continue until I leave for the reading at seven.

George

« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2010, 04:04:42 PM »

Well, the car repair guy called and they need to keep my car overnight.  They don't have all the parts in stock, but can get them by tomorrow.  Most fortunately, I only gave him my spare car key and I kept my house keys with me...I don't think I've done that every time when I've brought in my car before. ::)

Anyway, I'll walk home tonight and walk to work and get my car tomorrow.  It's supposed to get cold tonight, but I hope that it won't be too cold for me to walk home. :-\ I may leave earlier than usual.  We'll see how it is in an hour or so.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up