Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KING OF THE EM DASH  (Read 12378 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: THE KING OF THE EM DASH
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »

TOD:

I also thought that the SELZNICK book was great.

There was also another one that, as I recall, was titled THE MOVIES.  It had a bright red cover.

That was my first coffee table book, too - and is mentioned lovingly in one of the Kritzer books.  It was by Arthur Knight.

I should have remembred that.

Arthur Knight was a good friend.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 08:04:47 AM »

I also liked that series of books that listed/critiqued every movie that a particular studio made (e.g. THE WARNER BROTHERS STORY, THE RKO STORY, etc.). 

Aside from being nice looking, they were/are excellent for reference.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »

GLAAD has weigned in on the end of Kish on ONE LIFE TO LIVE; I guess after praising the show for its really brave achievements, they're rightfully pissed to see the producers and network run like cowards to turn the show back to a heterosexual-only love affair program, with its serial rapist turned into a good guy and a lot of plots over who can steal whom from whoever or screw around behind whathisname's back.

http://www.glaad.org/Page.aspx?pid=1346
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 09:17:57 AM »

Post deleted.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »

Cranberries.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 09:18:25 AM »

Applesauce, too!
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »

T.O.D.

Broadway: The American Musical by Laurence Maslon

Titanic: An Illustrated History by Donald Lynch, Robert D. Ballard, and Ken Marschall

Titanic: The Last Great Images by Robert D. Ballard - This book will actually never sit on a coffee table, because it is a leather-bound copy that is signed by Robert Ballard.  It stays in the display case with the signed A Night to Remember, the Titanic coal, and the White Star china.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's raining here in New York City. And it's windy. In fact, more wind than rain at this time. But it was still nice to sleep in today. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »

The house is being shown twice today.  Pray for Rosemary's second mortgage.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 09:53:36 AM »

DR JMK - Is your current house "staged" for showing, selling?
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 09:54:44 AM »

I also have the movies, most of the major composer lyric books, and all the studio "Story" books.  Also A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF THE THEATRE, TALKIES, & SILENT FILMS...Daniel Blum books. On my library coffee table are art books of Frank Frazetta, Roy Krenkel, and Joseph Clement Coll. 

I also have a great book called THE COMPLEAT GENTLEMAN, a terrific coffe table compendium with script of Korda's THIEF OF BAGHDAD.  Several nice ones of London from the air and elsewhere, several of the British Empire, and one on Ancient Warfare.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »

Can't....talk....too...busy....laughing....hysterical ly
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The first one that came to mind was one of Ken Haak's tomes... ;)

Otherwise...

I have a couple of Van Gogh and Seurat "picture" books. I still remember going "crazy" at a clearance sale at the National Gallery of Art in DC. Boy were those books a lot to carry back on the subway - HEAVY!!

Besides the previously listed usual suspects, I currently have a copy of Darcie Denkert's "A Fine Romance - Hollywood & Broadway: The Magic. The Mayhem. The Musicals" sitting in front of me. Some of the side-by-side - Broadway-by-Movie - scene stills are quite striking.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »

Can't....talk....too...busy....laughing....hysterical ly

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »

So...

About last night...

Last night's concert by the Kronos Quartet was quite varied to say the least.  They were featured in three of the six works on the program, while the remaining "solo" duties were handled by the toy piano(!) virtuoso, Margaret Leng Tan, and (Victor) Gama playing some homemade Portuguese-inspried instruments.

The last time I heard Kronos live was probably about 15 if not 20 years ago - back before they started getting really experimental.  Last night was a very happy "reunion".  Some of the pieces had multi-media (film and sound) elements to them, and the last piece of the program was a mash-up of string quartet, pedal steel, various hand instruments and four computers! It was groovin'!

There was also a "Meet and Greet" with the Artists and Composers after the concert.  I basically just mingled and observed. -I still get very nervous and intimidated(?) when I'm in the presence of great Classical musicians. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2010, 11:04:28 AM »

And then came the Fête de Campagne at Landmarc....

To the left: Mussels - Classic (white wine and shallots), Classic-Plus (white wine, shallots, rosemary and bacon).

On the tables: Crudités - asparagus, radishes, carrots, fennel; served with butter (both "cold" and melted) and coarse salt. Goose-Fat fries with aioli. Tarte Flambé.

The the right: Grilled Sausages (merguez, boudin blanc, boudin noir, lamb with parsley, lamb kidneys wrapped in bacon); pork rillettes, duck rillettes; chicken liver mousse; various terrines.

In the middle: Cheese! -At least 10 different varieties - including a ridiculously running triple-cream Camembert.

And to the far right: Desserts! Individual tarte tatins; cream puffs, eclairs, chocolate-meringue "cake", chocolate-orange gateau, crêpes (made and filled to order), etc., etc., etc.

And the wait staff walked around with trays of pinot noir, sancerre, sauvignon blanc and their special cocktail for the evening: The French Pearl (2 parts gin, dash of mint, ricard & lime juice).  I had two. ;)

Needless to say, I ate well, I drank well, and I had a splendid time overall.  It was also great to see "Chopped" judge, Chef Marc Murphy and his partner, Chef Mark Proto, walking around the restaurant and checking in on everyone.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2010, 11:10:14 AM »

*Today I slept in. And I plan on subsisting on a diet of green tea, oatmeal and raw fruits and vegetables today. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »

Underpants!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 11:35:40 AM »

-Well, someone had to say it.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »

Hello, everyone.

I am STILL recovering from yesterday's trip to the dentist! In addition to a nap yesterday I slept  9 1/2 hours. It really knocked me out!

Thank you to DRs Jane, Ginny, Laura, and Cillaliz for the much-needed vibes.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »

I have a coffee table book called

DAVID O. SELZNICK'S HOLLYWOOD by Ronald Haver -- a BIG book with lots of photos from all the of the films and great text

JRand, I have a wonderful photo of my uncle, Ed Fitzgerald, and David O. Selznick while shooting. I don't know which film it's from. I wonder if it's in your book. If you spot it, please let me know the name of the film.

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »

Good day one and all.  I think my deer need to do what bears do ...%#*@ in the woods!!   I got some of it cleaned out of the yard, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.  I did get all the corn cobs from the corn I put out for the squirrels cleaned up, two beer bottles, a few broken solar lights and a McDonald's cup.  There is going to be A LOT of work to do on the yard this year, but at least it looks a lot better than it did.

Cillaliz

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2010, 01:07:09 PM »

I am making a boiled New England dinner.  I like corned beef and cabbage but like it with potatoes and carrots better.  It's a little early for St Pats day, but I'll just celebrate it early.  I make this every year to celebrate.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »

Good day one and all.  I think my deer need to do what bears do ...%#*@ in the woods!!   I got some of it cleaned out of the yard, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.  I did get all the corn cobs from the corn I put out for the squirrels cleaned up, two beer bottles, a few broken solar lights and a McDonald's cup.  There is going to be A LOT of work to do on the yard this year, but at least it looks a lot better than it did.

Cillaliz's deer drink beer? Maybe they should do as the bears do and chuck their beer bottles elsewhere!

Cillaliz

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »

Tomorrow I'm driving to my parents to take my mom her early birthday present.  She wanted a copy machine, lol.  She doesn't want to use my dad's all in one, she wants her own.  They had a small laser home office model at Staples on sale with a $100 rebate and I traded in a printer for another $50 off and 8 used ink cartridges for another $24.  So I was able to get a lot more machine than I would have ordinarily been able to get. It looks like a good machine.  I wanted laser instead of inkjet.  I have a feeling she may go months at a time without using it and the inkjet would likely dry out.

I think what she really wants to do is copy her volumes of geneology research and other things to give to each of us.  She used to go to my dad's office to copy things, but it's not my dad's office anymore.  Anyway, she's the hardest person in the world to shop for, so if this is what she wants this is what she gets, lol.  She's very excited that I'm delivering it tomorrow. 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »

Awaiting DR Julie's report on the wonderful Dame Edna.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »

Must get a few things done.

TTFN.

Cillaliz

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »

Good day one and all.  I think my deer need to do what bears do ...%#*@ in the woods!!   I got some of it cleaned out of the yard, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.  I did get all the corn cobs from the corn I put out for the squirrels cleaned up, two beer bottles, a few broken solar lights and a McDonald's cup.  There is going to be A LOT of work to do on the yard this year, but at least it looks a lot better than it did.

Cillaliz's deer drink beer? Maybe they should do as the bears do and chuck their beer bottles elsewhere!

LOL! The beer bottles were actually right next to the tree where the deer slept on the really cold bitter nights.  If I had known they had beer I may have gone out and joined them
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:28:00 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2010, 01:22:12 PM »

Tonight I go to see Dame Kiri Te Kanawa with the Sioux city Symphony.  I'm looking forward to it

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2010, 01:31:11 PM »

House showing vibes to JMK~~~~~~~~~   I've always just moved everything out when I sold in the past.  It's easier for me to have it be empty than the stress of living there and showing or to try to stage it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up