Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL  (Read 10195 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »

Feels Like Home is a wonderful Randy tune.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »

Today is the Pacific Pops concert, with the theme of BLAME IT ON THE BOSSA NOVA.

Our two new couches also get delivered to the new house today, so that will be fun to see them in their new home environment.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »

Condolences to JRand and family of Aunt Betty  :-\

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26:34 AM »

Wow, is Bentley a cute puppy or what!

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »

Today I shall work on some interviews or some other project...or I might watch DAUGHTER OF THE SUN GOD, which is the very first film of my recent interviewee Lisa Montell.

She made it in 1952 when she lived in Peru (before ever coming to Hollywood). It sat on the shelf for years until it was finally released in 1962.

For lunch my buddy Jim and I will be trying out the SAIGON restaurant downtown. It has a Korean/Vietnamese buffett which I have heard is quite good.

Laura

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »

Bentley is a very cute puppy! Whom does he own?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »

T.O.D.

THE NATURAL
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kerry

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »

My deepest sympathies to you, Jack.
I like boat races.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »

... (and especially since she is the first black princess)

But not the firsts Princess "of color". That distinction goes to Princess Jasmine followed by Pocahontas.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2010, 10:38:08 AM »

Where on earth is BK?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »

I'm here.  I got up late (at ten) had to cull addresses from about eight more e-mails, had to write today's intro and must now get ready.  I'd intended to announce last night, and was so tired I just forgot.  I had everything ready to do so - very annoying.  But here, as promised, is your advance notice of our new release, a really fantastic score to a movie I'm particularly fond of.  It's the usual - 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

PART HEAVEN… PART HELL… PURE HAVANA

Kritzerland is very proud to present a world premiere CD soundtrack release:

CUBA
Music Composed and Conducted by Patrick Williams

Richard Lester’s 1979 film Cuba was pretty much dismissed by audiences and critics.  However, in the years since its release, people have begun to come around to its charms and the film has developed a solid following and rightfully so – it is, in fact, one of Lester’s best and most interesting films.   It is visually stunning and its period detail is astonishing.  The films is filled with memorable performances from its large cast, including Sean Connery, Brooke Adams, Chris Sarandon, Martin Balsam, Hector Elizando, and Jack Weston, among many others.  Set during the buildup to the 1959 Cuban revolution, the film covers the end of the Batista regime and the Castro takeover, adding romance and thrills and intrigue to the mix, sort of a Cuban Casablanca. 

For the score, Lester turned to the great Patrick Williams.  It was, as it turned out, an absolutely inspired choice.  Williams turned in an enticing, exciting, eclectic and excellent score.  The love theme is one of his most beautiful creations, a haunted lament for a past romance, beautifully scored, with guitar and female voice taking the lead.   The score features a lot of driving percussion, and some great dynamic dramatic cues.

For this CD, the premiere release of the score, the tracks were mastered from Williams’ own tapes, which were in great condition.  We present the score as he wrote it (some of the cues did not make the film or were truncated) – at the time of the film’s release, Williams did a rough version of an album presentation (that obviously never happened), editing a few cues together for musical cohesion.  We’ve left those edited cues the way he did them, and have sequenced the score into what we hope is the best listening experience – while much of it is in film sequence order, we’ve moved a few things around to help balance the presentation.  As a bonus track we’ve included Williams’ wonderful arrangement of the Fain/Webster song, “A Certain Smile,” which appears as source music in the film in an important scene.

Patrick Williams has had an amazing career that is still going strong today.  He began scoring films in 1968 with How Sweet It Is, and since then he’s been prolific in both film and television – here is just a small sampling of his great work: Don’t Drink The Water, The Streets Of San Francisco, Incident In San Francisco (my personal favorite), San Francisco International (apparently Pat was the go-to guy for all things San Francisco), The Magician, The Harrad Summer, Cannon, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, The One and Only, Casey’s Shadow, The Cheap Detective, and many more.  Williams, like Quincy Jones, Johnny Mandel, and Lalo Schifrin, also crossed over into the worlds of arranging for singers, as well as jazz – his jazz/big band albums are fantastic and highly recommended – Dreams and Themes, Threshhold, 10th Avenue and Sinatraland. 

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the first week of May – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:40:57 PM by bk »

JMK

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2010, 10:53:34 AM »

Patrick Williams came to SLC and conducted his big band for a jazz fest when I was in high school.  It literally changed my life.  Is THRESHHOLD the one with him with the cigar?  Fantastic album, I have it on CD somewhere.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Rodzinski!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »

...Williams’ turned in an enticing...

Nit pick - no apostrophe after Williams.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:28:22 AM by DERBRUCER »

Jane

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »

Saturday.

Thank you to all who provided vibes for my Aunt Betty yesterday.

As expected, she passed away about 6 a.m. this morning. 

Hugs & condolences!

Jane

« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »

Thanks John G.

Yes Jose, it could be that I continue to heal & make progress....yet, this is the first time I didn't really exercise before a session, except during my relapse, and the change in pain was drastic.  Oddly, it was followed by a bad night, pain wise.  Bad compared to how it has been recently, not when it was almost unbearable. :)

Jane

« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »

I'm using my new computer & listening to Barbra Streisand.  The sound is excellent.  Keith figured out how to make the original speakers he purchased work :)

JMK

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »

BK, what's the email to send PayPal to for CUBA?  For some reason there's no Kritzerland in my history there, though your White Sheik addy is in there--is that the one?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »

Keith figured out how to make the original speakers he purchased work :)

Whatever it takes to please the Queen. :)

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »

I've spent the last couple of hours listening to the new recording of THE BEGGAR'S OPERA in the 1948 version by Benjamin Britten. This is one of my favorite operas, as DR Ginny can attest to, and this new recording is really wonderful. The original 1948 production by the English Opera Group had the British film industry interested in doing a film, but I suspect once they heard Britten's "modern" arrangements they got cold feet. The arrangements for the Peter Brook film with Laurence Olivier are very conservative.  I love the film, but I'd rather have seen the Britten version.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »

My cousin Sue is having a bad day: the incorrect info in Uncle Bob's obituary - I cannot believe his sons don't know their paternal grandparents' names! - is becoming an obsession. She was to pay for a new obituary for the newspaper. I told her to go to the funeral home and kick her cousins' butts.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »

Ah, yes, Britten's Beggar's Opera!  DR Elmore, I was thinking about you right about the time you posted that, but because of a different show that we worked on together - the Rodgers and Hart revue.  I was looking through the sheet music that my mother-in-law left in the piano bench for some Easter-y things to display and came across "Soon."  That wasn't one of the songs we searched for and couldn't find, was it?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2010, 01:19:03 PM »

Okay, BK,

Based on your rave review, I went out and picked up a DVD of THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG at Wal-Mart today.

So, if I don't like it, it's on YOU.

::)

You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2010, 01:26:36 PM »

Ah, yes, Britten's Beggar's Opera!  DR Elmore, I was thinking about you right about the time you posted that, but because of a different show that we worked on together - the Rodgers and Hart revue.  I was looking through the sheet music that my mother-in-law left in the piano bench for some Easter-y things to display and came across "Soon."  That wasn't one of the songs we searched for and couldn't find, was it?

Isn't "Soon" by the Gershwins?

Laura

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »

I have to tell a children's story at church tomorrow. I better come up with something.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2010, 01:41:43 PM »

This one is "from the Paramount Picture Mississippi starring Bing Crosby and Joan Bennett.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »

Off to sell books...bye for now!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2010, 01:47:56 PM »

This one is "from the Paramount Picture Mississippi starring Bing Crosby and Joan Bennett.

I forgot about that song! I only remember "It's Easy To Remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »

Condolences to DR JRand and his family

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »

This afternoon I was cleaning up some things around the house and came across the file of the history of my house that was left for my by the former owners.  There were letters and articles written about the house from the daughter of the original owner.  There was a 10 year old phone number in the file....so I picked up the phone and dialed it.....she answered!!!

I told her I was the current owner of this house and she was delighted.  We talked for over an hour all about the house the neighborhood etc.   Her parents were looking through a magazine and saw a house that they liked in the French Normandy style, so the made a few alterations and had it built.  They moved in during the spring of 1934.  She was 5 years old.  They had the house until her mother went to a nursing home in 1970. 

It was a  great conversation.  I had most of the info in the file, but I did find out that my bomb shelter/storm shelter is neither.  It's just a cement block building her father built to store his lawm mower and yard equipment!! Too funny.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up