Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHIZ BANG WEEK  (Read 15179 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: THE WHIZ BANG WEEK
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 06:47:50 AM »

Page Two He Brought Me Ice Cream Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 06:55:38 AM »

Good morning, all! I stayed up too late last night reading M.F.K. Fisher's delightful Consider the Oyster. Early this morning I was having very peculiar dreams about alien takeover and violent chickens so that, when the alarm went off, it was so dark outside from the rain, that I slept in. My noisy neighbor was not home last night - I suspect he's in Canada with family for Passover - and his rather noisy afternoon yesterday with lots of banging around was probably his packing up to go. That means I've got a couple of quiet nights to relish this week.

A happy turn of events yesterday was a phone call from my friend at the Library of Congress, the one I had inadvertently upset during all of the LIFE BEGINS brouhaha a month ago. It was a very pleasant surprise and, now that the 840 madness is past, all is well.

Today is a WIZARD OF OZ day; I'd like to get through all of the remaining Act One scores today, so we'll see how that goes.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 07:00:32 AM »

TOD:

Everything chocolate.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 07:03:59 AM »

My father loved Rocky Road ice cream.

We had a deep freezer chest in our home.  My Dad would buy himself a gallon of RR, sneak it into the house, and hide it at the bottom of the freezer.

Didn't work.  My brother and I always knew where it was.

;D
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 07:04:08 AM »

I do not like ROOM SERVICE. It was a Broadway play and then bought for films with the Marxes shoved into it, and for me they just don't fit at all.

AT THE CIRCUS is lots of fun. I also like GO WEST and THE BIG STORE, their other MGM features after AT THE CIRCUS though it's clear they're getting older and some of the shenanigans are a little tired.
It true about it not being written for them, yet every time I've seen "Room Service" revived (about three times now), it's staged as if the main charaters were the Marx Brothers.

I've seen it done that way, too, and for me it just doesn't work. It's not funny. For me, the movie is not funny either. In fact, it's the first Marx Brothers film in their string starting with THE COCOANUTS that didn't make me laugh once. I prefer everything else they eve did (including the weak A NIGHT AT CASABLANCA and the weaker LOVE HAPPY) to it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »

Good morning!

Moderate temperatures this morning since rain is still in our forecast and it's very gray. (No more rain yet, however.) I enjoyed my walk though there was much debris on the street from the huge storm we had last night.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 07:06:49 AM »

Yes, there were two tornado touchdowns in the vicinity, both to the west of where I live, but walking around the house today was sad because the blooming flowers either had their petals torn off or the flowers themselves were beaten into the ground.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 07:12:55 AM »

I saw the UPS truck drive right by the house this morning so it loolks like no new review material will be forthcoming = day off! I am happy about that, especially since it appears both soaps today will feature my boys. Looking forward to both of them.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 07:15:37 AM »

I spent this morning catching up on more world championship skating on YouTube taken from foreign broadcasts and one from someone's camcorder.

I began with Jeremy Abbott's short program. Very nice quality, lyrical skating and he landed all his jumps, a great improvement from his disastrous Olympic short program where he downgraded two of his three jumping passes to lesser moves. I thought he was a bit underscored.

Kerry

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:15 AM »

Ice cream?  I have no idea what my firsts were.  The ice cream brands and palces of my childhood would be Carnation, Thrifty's (loved their Cherry vanilla), Skagg's Drugstore, and Baskin Robbins.  The drugstore soda fountains around me usually served Lily brand ice cream.

For birthday parties, we always seemed to have the rectangular carton of Neopolitan that was sliced.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »

But then I spent time watching bronze medal winner Laura Lepisto from Finland in both her short and long programs. If there is ANY doubt that judges are still holding up favored skaters who skate mediocrely even with this new judging system, Laura Lepisto is the poster child for this movement.

In her short program, she botched a double axel, a major move in any senior ladies competition, and her triple-triple combination was made up of the two easiest triples: salchow/toe loop. Yet, she scored third highest in the competition, three places higher than Rachael Flatt who landed her double axel and had a much harder triple-triple combination: flip/toe loop.

In the long program, Lepisto landed that same easy triple-triple combination and then skated to the other end of the rink and landed a triple lutz. And that was effectively the end of her long program because she doubled every other jump she had in her program. This long program which included only three triple jumps (the equivalent of what won the 1983 world championship when Roslyn Sumners won the title) won the bronze medal!

Now, Lepisto is a slim, lovely, lyrical skater. But to have no more difficulty in her program, and with no difficult transitions leading into DOUBLE jumps is an insult to current skating standards, and a slap in the face to skaters who completed seven or eight triples cleanly in their programs.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 07:28:44 AM »

I looked at Rachael Flatt's long program (which was judged only the 9th best skate of the night!). Her triple-triple combination had a rocky landing on the triple flip so she did a double toe loop instead. Later on in the slow section of her program, she tried to fit in that triple toe lop that she didn't do in the combination, and she popped it landing only a single (poor decision). However, later in the program, she added a double toe loop to her triple salchow in the bonus area to make up some points she had lost earlier.

Still, this finished 9th in placement.

I am SO disenchanted with the current scoring favoring certain skaters no matter how poorly they skate (Yu-Na was also the beneficiary of favored scores when she fell on a jump and popped her double axel in the long program and she still WON the long program phase of the competition and won the silver medal overall.)

And, DR Jennifer, I haven't watched her programs yet, but from everything I've read, your Canadian top skater did clean programs in the long and short and didn't finsh on the podium either. I look forward to catching up with her programs either later today or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:30:55 AM by Matt H. »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:37 AM »

There were two "baby talk" anecdotes my mother used to repeat ad nauseum, one involving me, the other my eldest sister.  Evidently when I was quite young, still a toddler, and barely able to walk, while I was in my high chair I kept screaming "Reen! Reen!"  Of course no one had the slightest idea what I was talking about (strangely, that part hasn't changed despite my somewhat increased verbal acuity).  So anyway after about 15 minutes of this, my mother put me down on the floor and told me to show her "reen."  I crawled over to the refrigerator which was the old fashioned kind with the freezer on the bottom, opened up the freezer and pointed to the vanilla ice cream and pointed to it and screamed:  "Reen!"  Thus began my lifelong love affair with ice cream.  SLC had two great local parlors when I was growing up, Snelgrove's and VaLora's, both of which had delish chocolate and burnt almond fudge.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2010, 07:32:28 AM »

TOD:

One of my earliest recollections is coming home from the hospital at age 5 after having my tonsils taken out and my mother giving me a dish of vanilla ice cream. I also remember asking her if I could have some prunes, and she said yes.

JMK

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2010, 07:32:33 AM »

My sister's anecdote is funnier, IMHO.  She evidently went ballistic one day when she was 2 or so telling my mother she wanted to see "the hangers."  So my mother took her back to the closet and showed them to her, which only sent my sister over the edge into near hysteria.  Those weren't the hangers she wanted to see.  My mother was at a complete loss and my sister was screaming bloody murder for most of the rest of the day.  Several weeks later they went to SLC's Hogle Zoo and as my sister approached the monkeys, she pointed and exclaimed with glee, "Hangers!"

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 07:33:45 AM »

CBS is taking another night off with all of their shows in reruns (well, maybe not RULES OF ENGAGEMENT; I don't remember), but ABC (new CASTLE) and NBC (new CHUCK and LAW & ORDER) and Fox (new '24') do have some new shows on the docket.

I also have another new DAMAGES and new NURSE JACKIE.

JMK

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 07:37:30 AM »

HAPPY PESACH!

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 07:47:29 AM »

Heading down now to get cleaned up for my lunch out later today with best friend John.

WBBL.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 08:06:25 AM »

Ice cream?  I have no idea what my firsts were.  The ice cream brands and palces of my childhood would be Carnation, Thrifty's (loved their Cherry vanilla), Skagg's Drugstore, and Baskin Robbins.  The drugstore soda fountains around me usually served Lily brand ice cream.

For birthday parties, we always seemed to have the rectangular carton of Neopolitan that was sliced.

My father was a pharmacist, and when he was first starting out he owned his own drugstore in a small town in Ohio. It had a soda fountain, and he also served the ice cream. One time he made ice cream cones for my brother and me, and my brother decided it was a fine idea to turn his ice cream cone upside down and smear it all over the counter. (He was probably about 4.) Since I was about 2 and copied everything he did, I did the same. There were other customers at the counter, and I remember my father looking very embarrassed that we were his kids and quickly cleaning up after us. I don't know if we got punished later, but it is the last time I remember having ice cream there!

His store only lasted a few years. He was too generous and always helped out people who didn't have the cash to pay for their drugs but promised to pay it later, but never did, or else did some sort of trade. (It was a farm community.) You can only stay in business a short time at that rate.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 08:07:03 AM »

Should we tell Monkey he's really a "hanger"?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 08:17:19 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I took it easy all weekend and took the meds the CNP (certified nurse practitioner) prescribed on Saturday and feel a lot better.  Good thing, 'cause this is going to be a busy week.  My cousin from Japan and his family are driving in from GA today, our DS Rob is coming home today from his 2-months of housesitting in MI, and my sister and her husband are arriving from MI tomorrow.  Only Rob will be staying with us (he lives here, after all), but we're hosting a big "green eggs and ham" pre-Easter dinner on Wednesday.  Today I have to get my cooking act together...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 08:18:57 AM »

re: the women's figure skating at the World Championships

I looked at Rachael Flatt's long program (which was judged only the 9th best skate of the night!). Her triple-triple combination had a rocky landing on the triple flip so she did a double toe loop instead. Later on in the slow section of her program, she tried to fit in that triple toe lop that she didn't do in the combination, and she popped it landing only a single (poor decision). However, later in the program, she added a double toe loop to her triple salchow in the bonus area to make up some points she had lost earlier.

Still, this finished 9th in placement.

I am SO disenchanted with the current scoring favoring certain skaters no matter how poorly they skate (Yu-Na was also the beneficiary of favored scores when she fell on a jump and popped her double axel in the long program and she still WON the long program phase of the competition and won the silver medal overall.)

And, DR Jennifer, I haven't watched her programs yet, but from everything I've read, your Canadian top skater did clean programs in the long and short and didn't finsh on the podium either. I look forward to catching up with her programs either later today or tomorrow.

While it would have been thrilling for the Canadian Cynthia Phaneuf to win a mdeal i'm sure she was more than thrilled with 5th place (and 4th in the long program). She was actually only 1 point from winning a bronze medal. With joannie Rochette dropping out of the worlds i don't think anyone expected much of cynthia. She was hoping for a top 10 finish. But i thought her long program was incredible. It was completely clean and very unexpected.  in retrospect after i was upset that she didn't get on thne podium. But at the time i watched it was just so thrilled for her.  She finished 12th at the Olumpics so this was pretty amazing.

But i think i sort of disagree with you about the scoring.  I was also disappointed that yu-na kim won the long program with her fall and missed jump. But if her program is that much harder and has a higher score potential if she's clean then that is a fact.

I saw rachel flatt's long program and didn't think it was that good. It was fine.  She just seems very young and unplished to me right now.  I didn't really think that most of the girls did that well. I would much rather see it play out like it did at the olympics where a lot of the programs were near perfection.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »

Yep Happy Passover to those who celebrate!

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2010, 08:20:24 AM »

And there is a new DANCING WITH THE STARS tonight.

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »

TOD -

Oh, my, where do I start?  I guess my ice cream addiction began when my mother worked the window at Larry's, the ice cream shop across the street from our home in Portland, Oregon.  Larry used a secret recipe that, apparently, went to the grave with him.  He made only vanilla and chocolate, except for during the holidays, when he made peppermint.  The story goes that Mom used to walk over there with me in my stroller and one day Larry told her that they'd be closed for a while, because he wanted to take a vacation and couldn't find anyone to work the store.  She said, "I'll do it!" and the rest is history.  We moved to Detroit in 1953, when I was 2 and my sister was 12.  She was pouting one day about leaving Portland and said, "And I never did have a Larry's malt!"  That's still our family expression for any kind of major disappointment.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2010, 08:27:57 AM »

RE: THE AMAZING RACE LAST NIGHT

abc def ghi klm nop qrs tuv wxyz blah blah and then we went and a  jkl kj and then one two three the and we went
abc def ghi klm nop qrs tuv wxyz blah blah and then we went and a  jkl kj and then one two three the and we went
I really find that this one of the worst batches of contestants they've ever had. There really is nobody competent left!  But that said there are some funny ones. It is funny watching the dating couple every time they have trouble. I have never seen a team who is strong and competitive yet when something goes wrong they turn on each other and are really poor sports!  I think the cowboys are sweet and funny and athletic. But i'm still unsure how bright they are. I really dislike the lesbians. They are unathletic and quite mean and snarky. And i cannot believe how many teams made stupid mistakes last night. So many teams didn't even check to see if all those coconuts/rocks? made it on their cart. That was crazy!  And god bless those cowboys. At least they were good swimmers. I was really hoping that we could get rid of the lesbians last night. I wanted them to finish last and for it to be an elimination. But i guess i'm habc def ghi klm nop qrs tuv wxyz blah blah and then we went and a  jkl kj and then one two three the and we wentappy that they did not finish last. Because if they had finished last and then it had been a non-elmination i would have been mad. Too bad jeff and jordan didn't last till this week. Because they bunched everyone on the same flight. That was part of the problem the last 2 weeks. J&J were so far behind, and they could not catch up. I felt bad for the detectives though. They should've been put on the first helicopter since they were in 1st place. and 1 2 3 4
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:29:36 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:33 AM »

My favorite kinds of ice cream are: chocolate mint chip and Haagen Dazs strawberry cheesecake.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »

I'm here.

At work.

Busy day ahead.

Crap!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2010, 08:34:20 AM »

Happy Passover, y'all! Matzoh for everybody!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2010, 08:35:23 AM »

My favorite kinds of ice cream are: chocolate mint chip and Haagen Dazs strawberry cheesecake.

My favorite Haagen-Dazs will ALWAYS be the plain old "Coffee". 

However, there were some new flavor combos in my grocery aisle Saturday....and the one I've tried is Amaretto-Almond.  The Almond is actually a brittle with almond chips in it.   Tasty....but the brittle isn't something I usually eat (rough on the crowns, as it were).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up