Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHIZ BANG WEEK  (Read 15178 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re: THE WHIZ BANG WEEK
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:10 AM »

Re: taking it out in trade, sometimes I wonder if I'm too much like my Dad.

Scenario #1: A friend of mine needed some cash when she was between film jobs. She does fun animal portraits so I commissioned her to do my 4 cats. She usually takes 1/2 the amount as deposit and the other half when you're happy with what she created.

So I gave her half to get her through Christmas.

Later she was still broke and asked me for the other half and promised me she would be working on it soon.

She's had many weeks where she wasn't working, and I commissioned it a year and a half ago! It sort of annoys me that I made the effort to help her and she didn't reciprocate. She is one of my best friends, and I've asked her about it once but don't want to continue and strain our friendship.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:43 AM »

For those who send cards or buy presents to mail for Easter.....REMEMBER that Easter Sunday is April 4th!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:58 AM »

Page 3!

I'll make it 3 stories, then...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »

Scenario #2:  Our researcher on the Mercer film had a truck that died and couldn't get to work. So I loaned him my old car, and let him drive it for a few weeks to see if he'd like to buy it. After a month, we made a deal and he said he'd pay $2,000. After a few months, he paid me the first 1,000 and since he was now out of work, I said he could do some painting or carpentry or whatever he liked, at a very generous rate.

Several days he said he would be coming over but never showed. He finally did show up one day but I had already gone to work so Greg had to take the day to show him what to do. Together, they started to prep an outdoor building for painting.

He said he'd come back that weekend to paint, so we ran around getting all the paint and materials. But he never showed up. Didn't even call. I emailed him late in the afternoon to see if something had happened.

Well...he slept until after 11...and then had to go to Comcast...and then...and then...

So he hasn't been back, but occasionally I'll get a call from him saying he left his machete here and wants to pick it up. Then he never shows up!

Guess I'd better not make him mad when he DOES show up!

This is on top of Greg turning down several days of work to help this guy on a film he wants to make, and then the guy cancelled every time.

I think I am going to hire a professional painter.

Edisaurus

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »

Scenario #3: My assistant editor, whom I hired for Mercer when he was between seasons and hungry for work, was let go after working for public television for 8 years, writing and producing his series. I gave him some of the editing to do, changed his title to associate editor and got him a very good pay raise.

After Mercer was done, there wasn't much work and I had too much going on with The Closer, so I paid him to edit several sequences for the baseball film. It was worth it to me to pay him out of my own pocket so I could keep going on The Closer, but since my rate on the doc is so low, I was hoping the producer would come through, since the original budget called for an assistant. The producer came through and I had him write a check directly to my teammate, who would reimburse me once the check cleared.

He got the check immediately, but kept saying he would bring it over, then was too busy with all the other work that Greg had lined up for him to drop it by. Over a month later: "What's your address? I need to mail you a check and an invitation to my wedding".

I don't mind with him because at least I benefitted form it---he did a great job, and I will probably have him help on the online. 

But I just have to ask myself: Is it me??? Am I genetically pre-disposed to being a door mat?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:09 AM »

Scenario #1: A friend of mine needed some cash when she was between film jobs. She does fun animal portraits so I commissioned her to do my 4 cats. She usually takes 1/2 the amount as deposit and the other half when you're happy with what she created.

Later she was still broke and asked me for the other half and promised me she would be working on it soon.

She's had many weeks where she wasn't working, and I commissioned it a year and a half ago! It sort of annoys me that I made the effort to help her and she didn't reciprocate. She is one of my best friends, and I've asked her about it once but don't want to continue and strain our friendship.

I think the ship has sailed on that, Amy.  She has neither fulfilled her obligation to you as a friend, nor has she fulfilled her "business" obligation in repaying the loan in any way.

This is a no-win scenario. 
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »

TOD"

I have no recollection of my first taste of ice cream. As a kid I never did care for strawberry ice cream, and vanilla was too dull. When we would go to an ice cream shop I would always go for the Chocolate Chip Mint.

For store bought ice creams I just love the many flavors of Ben and Jerry's, espcially Cherry Garcia.

Ice Cream seems to do bad things for my blood sugar so I don't have it much any more.

Edisaurus

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:16 AM »

These are the kinds of things you DON'T talk about on Facebook!

Edisaurus

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:33 AM »

What happens at HHW stays at HHW.

Edisaurus

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »

I think the ship has sailed on that, Amy.  She has neither fulfilled her obligation to you as a friend, nor has she fulfilled her "business" obligation in repaying the loan in any way.

This is a no-win scenario. 

When I mentioned it to her I told her we're going to try to have a housewarming/birthday party for our little French boy/anniversary/my brother's birthday get-together in May and would love to have that hanging in the kitchen to balance out the one she did for us years ago of our ancient cat. I've left that open wall for it so it's looked off balance for a long time. I thought if I gave her a date...well, we'll see. And I'll post a picture of it if I get it!

Edisaurus

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2010, 08:45:03 AM »

As Mel Brooks once wrote: "Look for the best, expect the worst"!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2010, 08:47:37 AM »

Edi, that is wonderful to have tried to assist these people. You are not a doormat, you are just a person who cares. You may not be paid back by them, but you will be paid back (depending on your belief system) in karma, perhaps, or the afterlife, or just in knowing you did a nice thing.

Don't stop doing nice things, but looks like you may need to consider the outcome if the person does not remember what you did for them, so you don't get in a jam yourself.

Edisaurus

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2010, 08:47:51 AM »

I am also going to hired someone to pressure wash and seal our deck. I spent a week cleaning it but never finished. It is covered in slimy green and black sediment but Greg didn't want to use a pressure washer.

Some things are better left to the experts!

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2010, 08:48:43 AM »

By the way, Edisaurus, the flower photos last night were beautiful....and the photos were just the right size, from what I could see. No widescreen here.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »

My favorite kinds of ice cream are: chocolate mint chip and Haagen Dazs strawberry cheesecake.

My favorite Haagen-Dazs will ALWAYS be the plain old "Coffee". 

However, there were some new flavor combos in my grocery aisle Saturday....and the one I've tried is Amaretto-Almond.  The Almond is actually a brittle with almond chips in it.   Tasty....but the brittle isn't something I usually eat (rough on the crowns, as it were).

And by crowns, you mean tiaras.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Edisaurus

« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2010, 08:49:29 AM »

Edi, that is wonderful to have tried to assist these people. You are not a doormat, you are just a person who cares. You may not be paid back by them, but you will be paid back (depending on your belief system) in karma, perhaps, or the afterlife, or just in knowing you did a nice thing.

Don't stop doing nice things, but looks like you may need to consider the outcome if the person does not remember what you did for them, so you don't get in a jam yourself.

Well, since April 15th is looming, I don't think I'll be helping out anybody else any time soon. The life of a freelancer!

Edisaurus

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »

Fortunately, I'm reaping huge rewards from my garden, where something new is blooming every day. Everything has come back form the food, bigger and better that ever.

And some plants have ended up in different places, far from their original spot, thanks to the flood. (Probably should put them back where they belong...)

Edisaurus

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »

Better go before there's a whole page of ME! I'm laying in Dustin's voice, and since he talks so much slower than my director's scratch track...lots of re-editing of music and photos. I just hope I don't get into a situation where I need more of a shot from stock footage, since we've already ordered it!

Dustin is so funny. My favorite quote (when he was surprised I knew about Minsk and Pinsk): "Amy! How do you know all this shit? You're the best Jew in the room!"

Maybe I should replace my Lewis Carroll quote with that!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2010, 09:28:58 AM »

I'm up, have answered e-mails, gotten an e-mail from the person at my publisher who always makes sure things are running smoothly, and hopefully they should have downloaded the book by now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2010, 09:29:55 AM »

Yikes DR EDISAURUS.....life goes on, as you said.  And really things turn out evenly in the end.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »

Why is this night different than every other night?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2010, 09:34:41 AM »

Why is this night different than every other night?

BK won't rant about the number of posts?   ;D ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »

Listening to Pandora's bossa nova channel.  SUCH beautiful music!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: UXORIAL!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  YOU MUST MEET MY WIFE

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And this rainy day and Monday is not getting me down.  However, it did cause me to linger a bit longer under my comforter this morning. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »

Listening to Pandora's bossa nova channel.  SUCH beautiful music!

Is there such a thing as "not beautiful" bossa nova?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2010, 09:56:04 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well, well, well...  Where to start?  ;)

"What was the very first flavor ice cream you ever had and do you remember the brand."

I'm guessing it was probably either Vanilla or Neapolitan (which, of course, is three flavors in one), and most likely Safeway's "Snow Star" brand.  I can still picture those signature blue cartons in the freezer.  My mom was also very fond of Spumoni too.  -On the other hand, my mom's least favorite flavor of ice cream is "chocolate".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »

"What was the very first type of ice cream bar you ever had and where was it from?"

My first ice cream bar memory is the classic Ice Cream Sandwich - vanilla ice cream sandwich'd between two chocolate cookies/wafers.  However, I still remember the first time I tried a Good Humor "Toasted Almond" bar from the neighborhood ice cream truck - I had just finish swim practice - that made me a fan for life.  -And I like the other "eclair" and "shortcake" ice cream bars.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »

My first conscious memory of ice cream is vanilla, which they gave me when I had my tonsils out.  I probably had some before then, but that's my first actual memory.

Favorite all-time ice cream - the frozen vanilla custard stand at the old Ocean Park pier - if that counts as ice cream.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »

Favorite ice cream bar - I, too, liked Creamsicles and I liked Fudgsicles.  And though I can't remember what they were called or the brand, I loved the ice cream bar covered in chocolate over vanilla ice cream.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up