Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHIZ BANG WEEK  (Read 15327 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE WHIZ BANG WEEK
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2010, 10:04:57 AM »

For the last decade, my favorite ice cream flavor has been Ben and Jerry's fudge chip almond coconut thing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »

What is your favorite ice cream bar, favorite ice cream flavor, and of all the pre-packaged ice creams, which are your favorites?

-Tie between the aforementioned Good Humor "Toasted Almond", and a Dove "Dark Chocolate with Vanilla Ice Cream Bar".

-Chocolate anything. I like "texture": nuts, chips, chunks, swirls, etc.

-Ben & Jerry's "Phish Food", "New York Super Fudge Chunk", "everything but the..."
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »

I've edited "Down on the Brandywine" and half of "Carrie Berry," from the 1902 WIZARD OF OZ and I'm taking a break to do some mending: I have a hole  in a pocket of the pants I'm wearing and it needs to be repaired. Then I will watch Kyle and Fish on ONE LIFE TO LIVE, perhaps take a walk in the rain and go back to the edits.

As Shirley Temple sings:
I love to walk in the rain
Look for me when it's stormy down some leafy lane and I'll be there
I love to walk in the rain
The lightning may be fright'ning but I love the rain so I don't care
I feel wonderful
When the skies above are thunder-full
I don't complain
And though it's fun in the sun
It takes all kinds of weather
When all's said and done, I love to walk in the rain!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »

And which ice cream parlors do you love?

I tend to like the most "local" one in the city that I happen to be in.

NYC - GROM (gelato), Cones (gelato), Ronnybrook Farms, Emack & Bolio's, Shake Shack
Philly - Bassett's, Capogiro (gelato)
Rock Island, IL (Quad Cities) - Whitey's, Lagomarcino's Confectionary
DC - Gifford's, Thomas Sweet, Frozen Dairy Bar
Chicago - Scooter's Frozen Custard
Fredericksburg, VA - Carl's Ice Cream (just Chocolate and Vanilla!)
Richmond, VA - Bev's Homemade

etc., etc., etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »

Should we tell Monkey he's really a "hanger"?

Well... The loop coming out of his head is no longer a loop, so he's usually more of a "sitter" than a "hanger".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2010, 10:22:59 AM »

שלום במאי להיות איתך זה פסח
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:21 AM »

Miss Amy, check your e-mail for pictures!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2010, 10:26:49 AM »

And, of course, we cannot leave out the best of all: C.C. Brown's and their amazing hot fudge sundae.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »

שלום במאי להיות איתך זה פסח

This reminds me that this morning whilst driving to work, I was behind a car that looked like it had red Hebrew letters on a white background, albeit the Hebrew looked like it was upside down.  I tailgated the car for a moment and suddenly realized it was actually white English letters saying "Alta" (the ski resort in Utah) against a red background.  Oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »

And now...

I need to do a bit more investigating and preparing for my for my friend's birthday dinner. 50th Birthday Dinner.  I actually went ahead and polled some "foodies" on Twitter - Frank Bruni, Robert Sietsema, Ruth Reichl, etc. - and, lo and behold, a bunch of them responded with their favorite birthday restaurants, so... I have a feeling we may be doing a "crawl" - in the rain, alas - and sampling various dishes from various restaurants tonight.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2010, 10:38:30 AM »

And now...

I need to do a bit more investigating and preparing for my for my friend's birthday dinner. 50th Birthday Dinner.  I actually went ahead and polled some "foodies" on Twitter - Frank Bruni, Robert Sietsema, Ruth Reichl, etc. - and, lo and behold, a bunch of them responded with their favorite birthday restaurants, so... I have a feeling we may be doing a "crawl" - in the rain, alas - and sampling various dishes from various restaurants tonight.

Laters...
That sounds like fun. Report the goods afterwards.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2010, 10:47:12 AM »

More TOD

DR Edi's story of her father's pharmacy reminded me of the drugstore near our house in Detroit.  It had a soda fountain that featured Stroh's (like the beer) ice cream and when a kid had a prescription filled, Pharmacist Hoffman gave you an Rx for an ice cream cone.  My dad and I often walked there on summer evenings and I always got a chocolate cone.

We also had the Good Humor truck in our neighborhood and my mom can still mimic our "Wai-i-i-i-it a second!" shout-out to the driver.  I remember the two-tone popsicles - raspberry/lime, raspberry/orange.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »

My first conscious memory of ice cream is vanilla, which they gave me when I had my tonsils out.  I probably had some before then, but that's my first actual memory.

Favorite all-time ice cream - the frozen vanilla custard stand at the old Ocean Park pier - if that counts as ice cream.

Next time you're in NY Jose, remember the ice cream bars at MILK!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »

Miss Amy, check your e-mail for pictures!

Thank you, Ben and Anthony. She will love those!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2010, 11:25:22 AM »

One time a guy who looked very poor came into my dad's store. He could not talk very distinctly, but my dad thought he was asking for "old clothes", so he went in the back of the store and gathered up a few of his clothes and brought them back to the guy. The guy got a little irate, and then motioned that he wanted to write something.

He wrote down "whole cloves". Apparently he'd just been to the dentist (if you chew on whole cloves it helps numb the pain). Typical Dad story, willing to give some stranger the shirt off his back, and he didn't even want it. LOL!

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »

Even more TOD -

And, then, in Ann Arbor there was is Washtenaw Dairy.  It's in the "townie" part of A2, not real convenient to the University.  Worth the trip, though, for an ice cream cone the "size of a parking meter," as my dad described them.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »

I'm off to the grocery store and, in honor of today's topic, I'm wearing my sweatshirt that says, "There's nothing wrong with me that a little ice cream won't fix."  More stories later...bye for now!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »

From JMK:
No, I think you didn't ready MY posts if you're referring to the death certificates.

You are right, it is me.  Not that I'm intentionally doing it.  If I missed a post I was watching for, I must be missing other posts.  I'm having trouble with controlling the scroll ball on my new mouse, it goes too fast for my eyes to focus.  Motion sickness has been a problem since I've begun using the new mouse-I do love the ease at which it moves.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2010, 12:10:09 PM »

HAPPY PESACH!

HAPPY PESACH!!!

Cute childhood stories :)

Jane

« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2010, 12:14:52 PM »

John G-I always enjoy duck photos-thanks.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »

Edi, beautiful photos! 

VIBES YOU FINALLY GET THE ARTWORK OF YOUR CATS!!!

FJL

« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »

Today's word of the day reminds me of watching the late Anthony Minghella's Oscar acceptance speech, where he said:

"Thanks to all my family who put up with me being away for so long. My wife, who's taught me the meaning of the word "uxoriousness." "

And I assume we were not the only household to shout back at the screen something to the effect of maybe she could teach us the meaning of that word - had not a clue what it meant.  Of course, we did look it up and now know.

FJL

« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:45 PM »

Fascinating stories, edi.  Life lessons, for sure.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »

Back from a very light meal and whilst eating I did more paper blocking, although I've now become very bored of doing so, so I'll either finish some other time, or just do the big scenes with a lot of people - the two and three-person scenes are easy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »

I'm having trouble with controlling the scroll ball on my new mouse, it goes too fast for my eyes to focus. 

It's the wine, dear.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »

My favorite kinds of ice cream are: chocolate mint chip and Haagen Dazs strawberry cheesecake.

My favorite Haagen-Dazs will ALWAYS be the plain old "Coffee". 

However, there were some new flavor combos in my grocery aisle Saturday....and the one I've tried is Amaretto-Almond.  The Almond is actually a brittle with almond chips in it.   Tasty....but the brittle isn't something I usually eat (rough on the crowns, as it were).

And by crowns, you mean tiaras.  :)

No, I don't mean any such thing.

Since this is what springs to your mind when someone mentions a "crown", please do tell us all about your tiaras so we can better understand you.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:05:35 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2010, 01:11:56 PM »

I've been tweaking the new Blu-ray back-up player, and I think I've finally got it the way I want it. It's taken me days to get things right, and I read up on all this stuff. I can't imagine how novices manage to set up new equipment.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »

I don't have an early memory of my "first" ice cream experience (and I didn't get my tonsils out until I was an adult), but growing up, my parents usually got the cheap store brand ice cream.  But as kids, ice cream was ice cream and it was all good. :D

I remember that I really liked the orange sherbert/vanilla ice cream combo and whenever the ice cream truck came around, I love the ChocoTaco.  Quite a few years ago, Dreyers or Breyers used to have a neapolitan chocolate...five different flavors of chocolate ice cream (dark to white) and it was delicious!  I haven't seen it in stores in years.

Now, the most frequent ice cream that I get is Dairy Queen's Blizzard (which isn't really ice cream, I know...but I like it) or Schwan's various flavors.  They come to our work every two weeks.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2010, 01:13:42 PM »

I've also made the mistake of loaning "friends" money when things were tight. Time passes; things get "untight" and they still don't pay you back. I'll NEVER do that again.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »

When I got in from a long lunch, I put in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (the 1950 film) and watched it this afternoon. I just wanted something light and REASONABLY entertaining. The film isn't all it could have been, but it's colorful and the songs are great.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up