Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OUT OF PITH  (Read 11475 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: OUT OF PITH
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2010, 01:20:28 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »

JRand, I had the same reaction that Mara did...but without the gloves.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2010, 01:22:55 PM »

Just back from Pilates for the first time in two weeks -- and I can feel it in every muscle. Stopped off at Big Lots and there was a new shipment of DVDs for $2.50 apiece. Got "Clueless" and "Chinatown" plus "Funny Face" and "Too Many Girls," which I don't think I've ever seen.

You'll see Van Johnson in the chorus of TOO MANY GIRLS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »

We watched CASTLE last night & agree with Matt H, excellent episode.  Matt, I'm baffled why you thought Martha had anything to do with the killer? ;D

I couldn't remember the name of the younger man she was dividing her time with, and I thought maybe a surprise would spring out that he had been dating her to get close to Castle so he could somehow get to Beckett through him.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2010, 01:30:17 PM »

And Robert Morse did The Beauty That Drives Men Mad on the Tony show that spotlighted Broadway women....and he was hilarious!

I prefer the version of this song from the London cast recording.  It has a couple of different verses, but more importantly, a longer (and better) ending.  I performed in an AIDS benefit series here in Olympia from 1993-2001 or 2002 and we had that song transcribed.  I sang "Josie's" part.  We brought down the house! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2010, 01:30:25 PM »

DR elmore - Congrats on the new Victor Herbert project!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2010, 01:30:38 PM »

Before I started cooking lunch, I watched last night's AMERICAN IDOL performances/judges remarks (I skip everything else). The best performances: Michael (by far), Lee (next by far), Casey, and Crystal. The rest ranged from bland (Aaron, Katie) to inept (Tim, Didi). And the judges gushing over Andrew? What was THAT all about? Yep, it was somewhat better than the prior weeks, but it was hardly a major rebound. Slightly better, more in control, but that's ALL it was.

George

« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »

After today's meeting, I guess I can officially announce that in September I will begin a recording project of all the extant cello & piano music, piano solo music, and songs written for other venues than a show by Victor Herbert; this will include German lieder, Irish patriotic songs, Irish folksong arrangements, songs for plays, vaudeville acts and revues, and special occasion pieces like the Catholic University Alma Mater. Soloists will include Rebecca Luker, George Dvorsky, Ron Raines, Jeanne Lehman, Zachary Stains (DR JRand's fave Hercules), Steven LaBrie, Korliss Uecker, Rosalie Sullivan, Margaret Jane Wray, Dillon McCartney, Marnie Breckinridge, Valerian Ruminski, Jonathan Michie, and Christopher Fitzgerald, accompanied by William Hicks, who will be piano soloist. The cellist will be Jerry Grossman, principal cellist of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, a post once held by Victor Herbert.

Congratulations, Larry!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2010, 01:33:07 PM »

The UPS truck did finally arrive, and with it a review copy, but not ALVIN.

No, it was another Criterion Blu-ray: RIDE WITH THE DEVIL. So into the pile it went. Not due for weeks.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2010, 01:33:59 PM »

It was a wonderful show - especially Gower Champion's terrific staging.

I have never seen SUGAR on stage. It never seems to have caught on for community theaters and local theaters to do. Of course, a lot of Broadway shows at around that same time - OVER HERE! and SEESAW are two others that spring quickly to mind - don't get done much locally either.
when I used to review community theater, I must have seen four or five productions of "Over Here!" No "Sugar." No "Seesaw." No "Applause." But I saw "Sound of Music" at least two dozen times. The one true novelty was finding a high school in Camden, Ohio, there near Middletown that staged "All-American."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »

Congrats, Larry!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched last night's SOUTHLAND. I absolutely cannot stand Tami, and everytime she's there whining and moaning about her boring life, I want to put my foot through the TV screen. The cases were all interesting, but Tami sucks the life out of every scene with her ego, her self-obsession, and her stupidity. She DESERVED what happened to her. I'm just sorry her poor husband Sammy must also bear the brunt of her idiotic decisions.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »

I have never seen SUGAR on stage. It never seems to have caught on for community theaters and local theaters to do. Of course, a lot of Broadway shows at around that same time - OVER HERE! and SEESAW are two others that spring quickly to mind - don't get done much locally either.
when I used to review community theater, I must have seen four or five productions of "Over Here!" No "Sugar." No "Seesaw." No "Applause." But I saw "Sound of Music" at least two dozen times. The one true novelty was finding a high school in Camden, Ohio, there near Middletown that staged "All-American."

ALL AMERICAN! Wow! I've often used "Once Upon a Time" as an audition song, but I've never seen that show staged either. I have seen APPLAUSE here once.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2010, 01:40:24 PM »

I spent the majority of the afternoon watching one of my favorite recent comedies: THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA. Always enjoy it so much every time I watch. It's one of the most beautifully cast movies in recent memory.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »

I did have time to skim through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest and nothing in the previews.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »

I also skimmed through today's excruciating ONE LIFE TO LIVE. Yes, Oliver was on in scenes that were seconds long, and he finally did get his revelation moment near the end of the show, but SO many scenes with these dull, dull, dull actors and stories. Argh!

George

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »

As far as I know, none of these shows has ever been done in Olympia. :-\

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2010, 01:48:52 PM »

Wow! I just saw the list of the Peabody Award Winners (highest honor in TV) for this season:

The only two regularly scheduled network series that won:

GLEE and MODERN FAMILY.

Among other series winners were IN TREATMENT and THE LADIES NO. 1 DETECTIVE AGENCY on HBO.

The Jerome Robbins "American Masters" special won (deservedly so).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2010, 02:00:32 PM »

Finished with errands and whatnot and visits and whatnot and shall now relax until it is time to leave.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2010, 02:17:08 PM »

I have some things in the office that require attention, and then I'll head down and do some evening viewing. I do know I want to rewatch THE HEIRESS tonight. If there's time, I'll watch GRAN TORINO. If not, I'll fill in with some TV box set episodes of NCIS or THE CLOSER or BONES until I tune into HUMAN TARGET.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »

Oh... I think I just took a nap.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »

And now I need to get ready for tonight's dress rehearsal... I just need to decide which one I'm going to end up at.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched last night's SOUTHLAND. I absolutely cannot stand Tami, and everytime she's there whining and moaning about her boring life, I want to put my foot through the TV screen. The cases were all interesting, but Tami sucks the life out of every scene with her ego, her self-obsession, and her stupidity. She DESERVED what happened to her. I'm just sorry her poor husband Sammy must also bear the brunt of her idiotic decisions.

She is one of a few other characters on the show I think they ought to phase out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »

I have some things in the office that require attention, and then I'll head down and do some evening viewing. I do know I want to rewatch THE HEIRESS tonight. If there's time, I'll watch GRAN TORINO. If not, I'll fill in with some TV box set episodes of NCIS or THE CLOSER or BONES until I tune into HUMAN TARGET.

WBBL.

Is this the Olive deHavilland HEIRESS? One of my all-time favorite movies! I think the play is great but I wasn't crazy about the revival with Cherry Jones. I did love Frances Sternhagen, though.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:43 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANN!

To my lovely daughter in law and mother of my handsome grandson, Toby!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »

Great news, Larry!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »

Yesterday afternoon, I was so tired when I came home from work that I fell asleep reading yesterday's posts (no offense).  I was in bed by 5:30, I didn't read or watch TV, but I turned out the light and fell right asleep.  And I still managed to over-sleep this morning. 

All day long, I have been dragging like I hadn't gotten any sleep at all.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2010, 04:01:23 PM »

I'll be Notta Chance.

Yes, we know.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!