Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PROUD PAPA  (Read 10895 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: PROUD PAPA
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 09:05:58 AM »

PAGE THREE
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 09:09:20 AM »

Guess who took the day off today?  It was either that or turn in my notice yesterday.  I opted to take the day off.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 09:12:39 AM »

Sounds like MR BK had a fine show last night, and I wish him well on the second performance!

What show left its set for you?

LIL' ABNER
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »

The set was left over from that production of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels that I saw a couple of months ago.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2010, 09:17:55 AM »

The furious storm yesterday knocked out our internet for hours, and then our power itself for hours as well.

Perhaps paying your bill might help.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2010, 09:21:28 AM »

I really wanted to sleep till ten but the co-author of the long musical called at nine.  Unbelievable.  Naturally, I didn't take the call.  Last night was fascinating in regards to that whole deal.  He, of course, told me he was told the book was a powerhouse and all that needed to happen was about ten minutes of judicious cutting in act one.  While ten minutes of cutting is absolutely needed, there are still major problems in act one and they're very easy to identify - in fact, I've been identifying them for the last four months.  On this last pass I almost got them fixed but then he couldn't or wouldn't do it.  There are several characters who simply have to be cut and their information has to be put in the mouths of characters we actually are interested in.  If he can't figure out a way to do that, well, the first act will never play.  Those scenes not only feature characters who are not interesting and whom we don't care about, they are passive dramatically as everyone in them are talking about other people.  Duh.  Exposition 101.

Of course, he had no problem saying the score lacks one powerhouse number that it needs - while some of the score will definitely change, the score is the least of the problems right now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »

So, when we finally have THAT meeting, I'm not giving in to his "reasons" or anything else.  I'm going to tell him to rewrite those scenes, get rid of those characters, and improve his show. 

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »

All the best with getting the rewrites done, bk, and may you not have to break his leg.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »

I love rice, but I can't eat it often because it causes my blood sugar level to rise rapidly.

That said, a comforting bowl of rice pudding with a touch of cardamom, a paella with plenty of sausage and seafood to go with the saffron rice, a risotto with red wine stirred into it for 45 minutes or so, a jasmine rice with Middle Eastern food -- these are all favorites.

I can also remember my least favorite rice dish of all time: I was stupid enough to believe a Crockpot recipe for risotto that you don't have to stir, merely dump the ingredients into the Crockpot and leave alone for 10 hours. It was so nasty I can't begin to tell you what went wrong.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 09:36:54 AM »

Funnily, I haven't invited anyone to the show because two weeks ago we were sold out, with the only seats being held for producers.  Then those were gone and they were worried about too many producers and not enough seats.  I told them there would be no-shows and that I guessed that even the producers who said they'd show up wouldn't - I told them to overbook - they didn't.  Hence, there were at least fifteen empty seats last night.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »

Funnily, I haven't invited anyone to the show because two weeks ago we were sold out, with the only seats being held for producers.  Then those were gone and they were worried about too many producers and not enough seats.  I told them there would be no-shows and that I guessed that even the producers who said they'd show up wouldn't - I told them to overbook - they didn't.  Hence, there were at least fifteen empty seats last night.

Congratulations, BK, on the staged reading last evening.  And break a leg tonight!
“One thing’s universal,

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »

DR DtM - the Dream-0-Matic 6000 says that although you enjoy your new work environment, you are still unsure about fitting in with all of the people. You follow their direction well, even though sometimes it is the opposite of your first impulse. You also feel like buying new clothes to make the change complete.

DR JRand, once again your Dream-0-Matic 6000 has proved infallible.  I have been thinking much of late of the need to refurbish my working wordrobe, especially my holy elbow dress shirts.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 09:56:55 AM »

DR Jane, re: the author's book site you mentioned last night.

I rarely go to the actual author's site, as i prefer and find it easier to just go to amazon.com.  They have synopsis, lists of books and you can also read comments from real people who have read the book.  Do you ever go there?

Yes but I prefer the author's sites as they are, almost always, in date order.  Am I missing something on Amazon?  Also if an author writes books with recurring characters there is usually a chronological breakdown of those books & which ones the recurring characters are in.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 09:58:07 AM »

Tonight is our last group rehearsal.

I wish we weren't doing this dumb THRILLER dance - it takes us right out of what we're doing and is more about the choreographer than us - who knows WHAT the audience reaction will be....it's NOT what they came to see.

oh well.....what a waste of time. 

Sorry you aren't happy with this.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »

Even though it isn't Wednesday, I must ASK BK.....

How many e-mails do you expect to receive from the creators of the long musical, once your imposed moratorium goes into effect tomorrow?

Ten...20...50....100....more?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 10:07:29 AM »

The furious storm yesterday knocked out our internet for hours, and then our power itself for hours as well.  There are trees, branches and leaves down all over the place.  We were at the new house yesterday when the wind started and it was actually pretty scary.  The new house is surrounded by very tall firs, and they were bending and swaying pretty badly.  I think I'll have the closest ones removed post haste.

Were the trees creaking?  When we hiked Sunday during the high winds the trees were exceptionally loud.  I'm used the them by now, Keith isn't & sarcastically said "this is comforting".

In our first house in Michigan we had a huge tree outside our bedroom, all glass windows & a large skylight".  The tree had been hit by lightning prior to our moving in.  Like an idiot (I didn't hear the warning sirens) I lied in bed during a tornado & watched that the tree didn't fall down on me.  The kids were at school lined up in the hallways & I wasn't feeling well & fighting off sleep.  I kept thinking if the tree starts to fall I'll roll under the bed.  The boys were really mad at me when they found out I had stayed in the bedroom. ;D

Jane

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »

Great news about how all went, bk.

DITTO!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »

A snippet of dialogue from my upcoming backstage play:

Bob:  The only thing that's going to help this play is if I get a doctor to work with this playwright.

Midge:  You mean Neil Simon?

Bob:  I mean Kevorkian!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jane

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »

DR TCB enjoy your day off & relax.  I'm sorry work continues to be so stressful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »

Even though it isn't Wednesday, I must ASK BK.....

How many e-mails do you expect to receive from the creators of the long musical, once your imposed moratorium goes into effect tomorrow?

Ten...20...50....100....more?

Oh, 100 I'm sure.  He's already written to me and is telling me he can't wait to get into fixing act one - but I already know what his "fixes" entail, and they're not the problem.  But, he'll have to wait - and the composer and lyricist will be telling him the same thing.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2010, 10:18:30 AM »

BK,

I am delighted that the show went so well.  Sorry I couldn't be there to see it.

[Sorry, I know nothing about rice.  Sandy is the cook in our house.]

Do you "eat" rice, DR Druxy?  :)  

I think the question was asking what's the "best" rice dish you ever ate.

"I've never eaten a rice dish I didn't like"  --  Michael "Will Rogers" Druxman
You can dream…or you can do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »

T.O.D.

Again, I have to go back to my mother for her chicken and rice bake.
My sister for her Spansih Rice
Fried rice
Sticky rice
Rice-A-Roni

Actually just about every form of rice I can imagine, with the exception of wild rice.  When I was in college, every Sunday the cafeteria served baken chichen with wild rice stuffing, covered in green gravy.  I have never been able to like wild rice since.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:10:42 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »

Congrats to BK on his reading! Sounds like it went well!

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »

I like rice although i don't make it very often. I do like sushi though!

Jane

« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »

TCB on one hand I'm a little impressed your school served the more expensive wild rice. On the other hand I'm horrified gravy was poured over it.

I love a good wild rice.  My mother often made it but for some reason I rarely do anymore.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2010, 10:36:17 AM »

I rarely go to the actual author's site, as i prefer and find it easier to just go to amazon.com.  They have synopsis, lists of books and you can also read comments from real people who have read the book.  Do you ever go there?

Yes but I prefer the author's sites as they are, almost always, in date order.  Am I missing something on Amazon?  Also if an author writes books with recurring characters there is usually a chronological breakdown of those books & which ones the recurring characters are in.

I use amazon a lot. If you type in the name of the author it will give you all their books by date if you want. And if there is a series it usually says so.

When you first type in the name of the author (in the search) it will list a bunch of stuff. But if you click on the author's names it will then just give you a short list and you can organize it by date or whatever. I don't usually do this but it makes it easy to see everything set out.

I use amazon almost every day and find it very useful.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »

I feel like i'm going crazy. For the second time in two days i cannot locate something that i thought i knew where it was.

One thing was quite small and on my desk. I cleaned my desk the other day. It is possible it fell over either behind something or into the garbage (beside my desk).

But today's thing is more important (key to a small safe). I've always kept the key in the same place. Granted i don't go in there very often. But i've searched the place where they key always is. Nothing. And i've tried to think of other places where i might have moved the thing the key was in. But no luck. It is driving me crazy. I wonder if i really might have moved it and now i just don't remember.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »

It is sort of dreary out. It will probably rain later. Hopefully i will be able to go on my bike since it is supposed to rain for the next 4 days. Although perhaps i could bike ride some of those days if the rain breaks (i take an umbrella just in case). I would hate to not bike ride for 4 days.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »

When you first type in the name of the author (in the search) it will list a bunch of stuff. But if you click on the author's names it will then just give you a short list and you can organize it by date or whatever. I don't usually do this but it makes it easy to see everything set out.

What are you clicking on to get the books listed in order of publication?  I didn't see a "short" list.

How do you know all the books are listed, not just what Amazon has for sale?

Jane

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »

KEY VIBES for Jennifer!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up