Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PROUD PAPA  (Read 10934 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: PROUD PAPA
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »

I will be buying LSOH cd, but will probably await the next release so that I can order two CDs at a time. I am very poor right now and figure I can save on postage that way.

It's all those one dollar DVDs at the Piggly-Wiggly! I warned you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »

Post Deleted!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »

What are you clicking on to get the books listed in order of publication?  I didn't see a "short" list.

How do you know all the books are listed, not just what Amazon has for sale?

When you first type in the name of the author (in the search) it will list a bunch of stuff. But if you click on the author's names it will then just give you a short list and you can organize it by date or whatever. I don't usually do this but it makes it easy to see everything set out.

On amazon's home page type in the name of the author. That lists usually all the books for that author. However if you want an exact list just go to the first link and click on the author's name. That will give you just their shortlist of books.

There are choices for how you want those listed (by date is one of them).

Amazon usually has almost every book listed. I have never come across a book i've been looking for that they did not have listed. But even if by some chance they don't have it usually a seller would be selling it there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:02:10 AM by Jennifer »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2010, 11:01:19 AM »

Ohmigod! Kyle and fish are on OLTL today.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »

That is what I did Jennifer.  I guess I didn't think it was so short-lol.  Thanks.  I still prefer the author's website but will use this as a back up.  I often use Wikipedia for a quick list of the books.

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »

That is what I did Jennifer.  I guess I didn't think it was so short-lol.  Thanks.  I still prefer the author's website but will use this as a back up.  I often use Wikipedia for a quick list of the books.

My favorite thing about looking things up on amazon is if the books are in a series.  For example, one of my favorite authors, Kelley Armstrong. If you type in her name you get a list of books. But it tells you what series each one is in and what book number of that series.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2010, 11:19:09 AM »

Jennifer, I decided to practice using Kelley Armstrong's name.  This time I found the link for "sort by" & was not doing it correctly.  It still didn't put them in correct order, or there are two release dates, hardcover & paper back".  I like you can scroll down & see an events page for the author.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2010, 11:58:54 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up.... And, well, I guess I just missed "Good Morning!".  Anyhoo...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »

Congrats on the successful reading, BK!!  And...

~~~Break Leg Vibes for Tonight!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »

All the best with getting the rewrites done, bk, and may you not have to break his leg.

Ditto!!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2010, 12:20:35 PM »

bk - Great to hear that things went so smoothly last night. Congrats to you and your cast.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »

In other news...

I think I need a nap.  Hmmm....

But in the meantime...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »

Today's Title is "Proud Papa" and the song that's been going through my head all day is "Pet Me, Poppa" from the movie version of Guys & Dolls! ::)

;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well... Since "rice" is basically the Filipino equivalent of "bread" - meaning it's usually served with every meal - I tend not to order rice - nor risotto - when I go out to eat, or make dinner at home.  I grew up eating rice every day, so... However...

I do like sushi, and the quality and preparation of the rice can really make the difference between a good and great meal of sushi.  I'm also a fan of the Italian arancini - the fried balls of (leftover) risotto that are usually stuffed with cheese.  Yum!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2010, 12:38:07 PM »

TOD:  I've never gotten to the bottom of exactly what the ingredients were, but I ate a rice dish (locally, even!) that was yellow, had several spices in it, and was absolutely scrumptious, especially served with the blackened catfish I ordered.

I'm guessing that cumin was one of the spices, but there were other complementary spices that gave it a taste all its own.

(Fair Warning:  Anyone who cracks wise about the "named" spice above will get a piece of my mind.  And since my mind is a jigsaw puzzle of irregular pieces, I won't be responsible for which piece you will get!).

Sounds similar to the "Yellow Rice" or "Spanish Rice" mixes from Zatarain's, Mahatma, Goya, etc.  As for the spicing, well... Turmeric and/or saffron is usually used to give the rice the yellow color as well as provide some flavor.  Then it's basically a free-for-all from there: bay leaf, pepper, salt (usually more than one would think), all spice, cinnamon, chicken "base", etc. etc., etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2010, 01:04:10 PM »

OK... Yep... I need a nap...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2010, 01:08:43 PM »

I always loved Rice A Roni (The San Francisco Treat), but I am sure it is quite deadly, so I no longer indulge. Otherwise, rice is something I can take or leave unless it is filled with cheesy stuff.

If it's deadly then you folks should be reading my obituary soon. I love the stuff, and though I haven't prepared any recently, I went through a phase when that was the only kind of rice I was eating.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:14:42 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »

I have been going crazy trying to find the first two seasons of THE TUDORS for my friend Jeff to borrow. I reviewed them, and I know they're here because both of the first two seasons had gay characters who were very appealing, so I wouldn't have given the sets away, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where I put them. They're not with other shows like THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII or I CLAUDIUS or ROME, and I looked on a shelf with recent series like LIFE and CASTLE, and they're not there either.

Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »

Ohmigod! Kyle and fish are on OLTL today.

And not in two second scenes either. They are a vast majority of the show, and the show was the first decent episode in weeks for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »

I began my viewing today with last night's CASTLE. Lots of INDIANA JONES-level fun with Castle and company on the trail of a missing mummy and dodging the curse of a Mayan king. Really enjoyed the episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2010, 01:17:44 PM »

Then I worked on my review project for the day: Jean-Luc Godard's VIVRE SA VIE on Blu-ray. Looks as good as his photographic techniques of the period will allow it to look, and the sound is much better than the DVD (which had a slight hiss. The PCM audio track does not.) The image on the Blu-ray isn't windowboxed either but it is on the DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »

I checked out all of the bonus features. They're all in 1080i except for the trailer which is 1080p.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »

Next, I finished THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT II on Blu-ray which I had begun last night. Some of the Technicolor stuff (the Cyd Charisse dance from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, for example) looked spectacular, and I know it'll be after I'm dead before we ever get an HD copy of IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER, but "I Like Myself," "Baby, You Knock Me Out," and "Thanks A Lot But No Thanks" which are on the Blu-rays of TE II and TE III look simply wonderful, and so do all of the numbers from HIGH SOCIETY (filmed in Vistavision which always turns out such razor sharp Blu-rays).

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »

Next I watched the bonus feature on TE II which dealt with the directors, choreographers, and music directors at MGM during the Golden Age. Lots of MGM stars and some behind-the-scenes folks adding comments, too, which make it interesting even if it isn't in the depth which we fans would want.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »

Then I skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest, but Luke and Reid are on tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »

I ended my afternoon with today's ONE LIFE TO LIVE. As DR Elmore said, Luke and Oliver were on, and it was a wonderful episode with them joyful about having their baby. And the end of their story today with Gigi appearing at the door means they should be on tomorrow to duke it out with her.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2010, 01:31:09 PM »

TOD:  I generally love rice.  I was always a big fan of Rice-a-roni.

But my favourite rice dish was Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice.  When I lived in Dallas in the mid-seventies,  there was an old codger, a shrivelled little runt of a fellow in a big cowboy hat, called Shanghai Jimmy and he made something called Chili Rice.  My memory was chili over rice with onions and shredded cheese on top.  also chopped celery pieces (which I personally think was the key to its uniqueness).  It was delicious! The menu also had Shanghai Jimmy's colourful bio on it.  I have run across recipes for it on the internet in the past and, once when I was in Dallas giving a screenwriting seminar, my host re-created the dish with a passing similarity.  Man, it was good. Or as Shanghai Jimmy's slogan went:  "Chili Rice iz very nice!"

Shanghai Jimmy was often found at the local ice-skating rink and that ole geezer was a thing of grace and beauty on skates.  Nothing fancy, just smooth...

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2010, 02:09:47 PM »

I just ordered some new discs from the Warner Archive including the new restoration of Al Jolson's MAMMY. With this, I'll have all of Jolson's 30s films on DVD and can retire that old laserdisc box set.

Was also pleased to see the new Joan Crawford Value Pack.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »

I still have a ton of TV from last night to watch tonight before NCIS starts including CHUCK, DAMAGES, & NURSE JACKIE. That's what I'll watch tonight instead of a movie when I go back down.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »

Don't forget that tonight is the season (and possibly series) finale of SOUTHLAND on TNT. Looks like they're having a marathon leading up to it which is good news for me since I missed one of these new episodes this season and didn't want to watch it on-line.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up