Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PUT A LITTLE PEPPER ON IT  (Read 13531 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: PUT A LITTLE PEPPER ON IT
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 09:32:52 AM »

That said, I did love my IBM Selectric and would not give it up for years.  And, in the early days of computers and word processing things were very confusing and difficult, setting up macros and all that weird stuff, and losing stuff like crazy - that would have been back in the late 1980s, which is when I first attempted to write something on the computer.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 10:07:18 AM »

Today will be a day.  At 11:00 a.m., the family is meeting at a local restaurant to celebrate my niece's birthday, which actually isn't until next week.  We're celebrating this weekend because next weekend, my niece, my sister and her boyfriend are going to Oregon to visit our cousin and his wife.  I have rehearsal, so I can't go...but I can house-and-cat-sit. :P

;)

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 10:07:43 AM »

After that, I'll have rehearsal today from 1:00 until 5:00 p.m., then my evening is free to watch some TV that I need to watch.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »

Have a good day, all!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 10:15:13 AM »

I loved my IBM Selectric, too. I could write so much faster than ever before. It forced me to be more organized, too. Nowadays, I try starting at the beginning, but if I'm stuck, I'll just write the middle or the end and force it somehow into place.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »

I got many a very well paying temp job writing Macros in the early days of computers and dedicated word processors.  I was about the only temp in Portland in those days able/willing to go into a situation "cold" without ever having worked on a particular system before.  I wrote all sorts of programming for Wang, Lanier, Displaywriter, and then once software on PC's became the norm, WordPerfect, you name it.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »

I learned to type on my father's ancient black Royal Typewriter.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »

BK, you really need to look into releasing Percy's scores for THE THIRD DAY and I'D RATHER BE RICH.  RICH even has a hit single on it, "Almost There" by Andy Williams.  Plus I just found out there's evidently a jettisoned score Percy wrote for the 1968 George Peppard detective thriller P.J. lying around somewhere.  Hefti ended up scoring that one.  Percy still got credit for one song, "Welcome to St. Crispin."  I think you woud sell out 1000 copies within hours, easily.

JMK

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »

In fact I was thinking you could hire one of your usual suspects to record a new version of LOVE ME NOW, from THE THIRD DAY, as a bonus track.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »

Saturday afternoon greetings!  I was up early this morning for a 9am bored board meeting for Middletown AAUW.  As soon as it adjourned, I picked up 2 book group friends and we went to Books & Co. at The Greene to hear Mary Doria Russell.  She was her usual entertaining self and shed a lot of light on Dreamers of the Day and her other books.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »

I cannot imagine what writing ten books would have been like on a conventional typewriter - in fact, I can pretty much say I probably would have given up after book one and am not sure I would have even started book one.  The ability to move things around with a click, to easily save different versions, to edit and correct in seconds - for me, the computer and word processing itself has been amazing.

When I was writing on a typewriter, and I did proof-reading, I used to say to myself, "Do I really want to change this bad enough to have to retype all those pages?'

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »

TOD - When I was teaching prospective teachers at Miami University how to teach their students about information-seeking and evaluation, there was a double page ad in the Wall St. Journal that read:

"The good news is

there are five

[size=8]gazillion[/size]

sources of information

on the Internet.

The bad news is

there are five gazillion

sources of information

on the Internet."

I bought a copy of the paper, trimmed the ad, had it laminated, and hung it in my office/cubicle until my retirement.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »

I've purchased about 20 of the Warner Archive DVDs, and today I got my first defective one: ABOVE SUSPICION.  It won't play on my Blu-Ray unit, as all the others will.

But, WHV is being great about it.  They are sending me a new copy overnight, and I don't have to return the defective one.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 01:18:18 PM »

I cannot imagine what writing ten books would have been like on a conventional typewriter - in fact, I can pretty much say I probably would have given up after book one and am not sure I would have even started book one.  The ability to move things around with a click, to easily save different versions, to edit and correct in seconds - for me, the computer and word processing itself has been amazing.

Yep, echoes my feelings exactly. Writing becomes pure pleasure with this tool. Without it, torturous.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »

Still on Page 2?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2010, 01:20:57 PM »

I guess most folks are having a weekend. I am staying in.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »

I've begun Season 2 of BONES.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »

Oy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »

Enough flogging this dead horse.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2010, 01:22:22 PM »

I learned to type on my father's ancient black Royal Typewriter.

When my aunt bought her first electric typewriter, she gave me her ancient Royal black typewriter, and I used it for many years. One of my high school graduation presents was a Smith-Corona portable which I took to college and wrote all of my term papers on. I bought my first electric typewriter after I graduated from college and was in graduate school, and it was a Royal electric typewriter.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2010, 01:24:11 PM »

I've begun Season 2 of BONES.

The early season episodes with Brennan and Camille butting heads were very entertaining.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »

Back to BONES.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »

I watched this week's PROJECT RUNWAY as I ate lunch. The first two designers chosen for Fashion Week, I was completely in agreement about. They designed great, unusual things all season and were certainly the two that I think it will come down to in the final.

As for the third place finsher, I was NOT happy with this selection. The person eliminated in favor of #3 was, I felt, a better overall designer with a great variety of looks all season and really beautiful craftsmanship. I think they made a great mistake here, but I honestly think gender had something to do with that final selection.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »

I have just put in a Peter Greenaway movie, "Nightwatching." I don't know what to expect with his films. i'm sure this will be no exception. "8 1/2 Women" remains one of the most fascinating, disturbing, odd movies I've ever seen.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »

Then I began watching the Blu-ray of THE NEGOTIATOR. I only got about halfway through it (I'll finish it when I go downstairs). I really enjoy this film, and the Blu-ray is a GIANT leap over the DVD in terms of picture AND sound. So happy I was finally able to buy this at a reasonable price.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »

OK, my afternoon internet surf has concluded and I'm heading down now to conclude THE NEGOTIATOR and then maybe watch another movie in anticipation of I LOVE YOU, MAN tonight on HBO-HD.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »

Page two indeed.  I'm saying nothing.  If this is where we're going then this is where we're going and I'm jiggy with it, I'm down with it, and that's that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »

JMK, it depends on what studios released those films - I don't have access to all studios.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »

Back from bacon and eggs and Monsterpalooza, the most well-attended, ill-organized LA event of its type that I've ever been to.  Doors were supposed to open at 11:30 so I got there at noon to find out the doors hadn't yet opened and there was a line almost two blocks long.  I then waited for an hour and fifteen minutes to pay my twenty bucks and enter.  How stupid are these people?  Get it together and figure it out is what I say.  And that long line continued to be there for the next ninety minutes.  Outrageous.  And all because of organization or lack thereof.  Once inside I found it incredibly confusing and not nearly as well laid out as the Hollywood Show.  I did manage to find our very own Mr. Bert I. Gordon and daughters, and had a wonderful visit with all.  He gave me his newly-published memoir, I gave him a bunch of Empire Of The Ants CDs and told him the good news that we were doing another BIG CD in the near future.  And we're all supping tomorrow night at Genghis Cohen, so that will be fun.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »

I also saw my pal, artist Bill Stout, and several dealers I knew, met William Schallert (sitting with a friend of mine who wrangles some of the stars) - at the same table I met Warren Stevens.  Later, just before I left, Stevens was trying to find Kevin McCarthy and the very unhelpful people at the front desk were being so stupid and ridiculous that I took him to McCarthy because he was sitting right near Mr. BIG.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up