Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LORD OF THE TRANSFERS  (Read 13119 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: LORD OF THE TRANSFERS
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »

DR ELMORE I have not seen any BRAINEX reviews as yet.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »

RE: last night's LOST

SPOILERS

I saw two of the three "gasp" moments on last night's LOST coming.

abc one two and then there were completely and they came out and went down the hill one two three four and there
abc one two and then there were completely and they came out and went down the hill one two three four and there
I love gasp moments. And as mentioned there were quite a few last night.  The first for me was jacob's girl helper (don't know her name) blowing herself up. I did not see that coming at all.  Then we had desmond and the car. I actually thought he was going to talk to locke. I guess what he did was not completely out of the blue. But it did seem a bit much for goodie desmond.  I guess faux-locke and desmond was the most predictable. Although still pretty gasp worthy.  Btw, i guess sun is not having too many problems learning her lines. I hope they rectify this next episode as i'm not interested in watching her write notes to people.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »

It's been a great year here for wildflowers.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2010, 01:04:50 PM »

I do know that if I have time tonight (and I should have plenty of time), I plan to look at Al Jolson's 1930 movie MAMMY from Warner Archives today. This is that rare Warner Archive disc that's coming from a restored and remastered source, so I'll be interested to see what kind of quality it has.

I think that it's great that MAMMY and other movies are being preserved and made available for people who want to see them.

However, let's not kid ourselves. Except for Jolson's singing, this is a boring movie. The script just limps along, and even Michael Curtiz' direction can't save it.

There are classic films and there are curios. MAMMY is definitely a curio.

I don't think anyone has EVER claimed that MAMMY was a great film. It was also Jolson's first flop at the box-office, so even back then folks knew that it wasn't memorable stuff.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:13:30 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »

I watched last night's AMERICAN IDOL before and during lunch preparation. The judges were weird last night. They praised Tim who gave a shaky, nerve-inflicted performance of "Can't Help Falling in Love With You" and were picky about Lee and Casey who outsing and out perform him every week.

I thought Andrew was the worst and Crystal the best.

Loved seeing the GLEE folks in the audience, and I also enjoyed Adam Lambert's mentoring of the singers. He did a fine job with suggestions, and he certainly nailed their strengths and weaknesses perfectly.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »

While I ate lunch, I picked out an episode from Season Three of NCIS to watch. This was the one with Connor Trineer as a drug smuggler who kidnaps the NCIS director so NCIS will give him back his baby brother who had been arrested by them. Good show with some really tense moments.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »

Then I spent the majority of the afternoon with I LOVE LUCY: THE MOVIE. It was a fine compilation of three season one episodes, and the bridging sequences and introduction/conclusion were also pretty ingenious, I thought.

The disc also had some nice production notes on the whole backstory of this project, and I learned a lot reading these notes before watching the movie.

But why these three episodes? That's never explained, and since two of the three ("The Benefit" and "The Ballet") aren't nearly in the same class of comedy as "Lucy Does a TV Commercial," "Lucy's Schedule," "Pioneer Women," or "The Freezer" from season one, it makes one wonder what Lucy and Desi found so appealing about those other two episodes.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »

Also on the disc was the colorized version of the musical episode "Lucy Goes to Scotland." Now, I HATE colorization, but I'll be darned if they didn't do a first rate job with the colorization here. The only giveaway for me was seeing the obvious makeup blush on Lucy's face and on Ricky's face, but the colorizers merely painted their faces beige without adding any pink to their complexions. But it's the most natural use of the process I've yet seen.

Again, CBS/Paramount has included program notes dealing with this episode and show a production gaffe in close-up that occurred during the filming of the show. The colors chosen for the episode were based on color phtos taken for tests and a color home movie shot during a dress rehearsal, so the color is accurate insofar as the real colors used on the show were.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2010, 01:26:54 PM »

I do know that if I have time tonight (and I should have plenty of time), I plan to look at Al Jolson's 1930 movie MAMMY from Warner Archives today. This is that rare Warner Archive disc that's coming from a restored and remastered source, so I'll be interested to see what kind of quality it has.

I think that it's great that MAMMY and other movies are being preserved and made available for people who want to see them.

However, let's not kid ourselves. Except for Jolson's singing, this is a boring movie. The script just limps along, and even Michael Curtiz' direction can't save it.

I don't think anyone has EVER claimed that MAMMY was a great film. It was also Jolson's first flop at the box-office, so even back then folks knew that it wasn't memorable stuff.

The truth is that, with the exception of the musical numbers, ALL of Jolson's movies are curios...including THE JAZZ SINGER.

Shhh!  Don't let anybody in the Al Jolson Society hear that.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »

Then there's the footage from the 6th Emmy Awards telecast showing Vivian Vance winning the first ever Emmy given for Best Supporting Actress and Lucy/Desi accepting the prize for Best Comedy Series. (Lucy lost Best Series Actress to Eve Arden in OUR MISS BROOKS, but that's not mentioned in the program notes. She had won the previous year and would win three more times over the years.)

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »

The truth is that, with the exception of the musical numbers, ALL of Jolson's movies are curios...including THE JAZZ SINGER.

Shhh!  Don't let anybody in the Al Jolson Society hear that.

I'm sure in their heart of hearts, they know that, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2010, 01:30:18 PM »

We get to see Lucy and Desi cutting up with Ed Wynn on his 1949 series, their first joint appearance on television. There are program notes on this brief clip, too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »

Well I may have to buy this LUCY MOVIE disk.....

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »

Finally we get to see the vintage Philip Morris commercials featuring the cartoon Desi and Lucy along with the live action introduction to the series and the "Call for Philip Morris" spokesman.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2010, 01:34:54 PM »

The list price is only $19.99, and I'm sure you'll be able to find it considerably cheaper. I'd think it would be a must for a Lucy fan, but not being a huge collector, I don't know how much of this stuff was already available elsewhere.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2010, 01:34:59 PM »

Or get the remake starring Debra Messing.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2010, 01:35:31 PM »

Then I skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest, but Luke and Reid were in the previews for tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »

When I go back down, I will watch MAMMY tonight and I'll likely have time for something else. I'll have to look through the stacks to see what looks appealing.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2010, 01:42:33 PM »

Happy to see that GLEE earned its all-time highest ratings last night returning from a four month hiatus to win its time slot. Granted, it was facing reruns on CBS and has the benefit of a big AMERICAN IDOL lead-in, but it actually built on its IDOL ratings lead-in with viewers under 35.

My biggest fear was that the four months away would stall the momentum the series was building late last year, but Fox did a good job building up buzz and anticipation for the show's return. I hope the strong ratings can continue for the show.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »

:P

DR RLP

DR MATTH - It was originally announced as an extra on the COMPLETE I LOVE LUCY set - but so many of us had bought the seasons as they came out, it wasn't practical to BUY all of the season again just to get the I Love Lucy movie.....or maybe it was to come with the Lucy Desi Comedy Specials....anyway....it never showed up anywhere...until now.

Thanks for the info.  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »

You're welcome. I'm hopping off-line now to work on the review.

WBBL.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »

EVIL KURT has not answered my email.

MR BK how would you and DR CP feel about dining in the restaurant at your hotel.

The theatre is in the middle of NOWHERE to be sure....however EVIL KURT may yet come through.

I haven't even booked a room at the hotel yet.  Here's my only caveat about eating before seeing a show -- that we have plenty of time to do it leisurely and aren't rushing for the curtain at the last minute.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »

Was reading DR CP's original screenplay for THE FLY on the special edition DVD.  I think I like his characters more than the ones in the movie.

One of my favorite things about the story and the original was that the couple were man and wife....Patricia Owens was very good in the original - and I loved her in SAYONARA as well.

In DR CP's script, they are a married couple.....in the final movie they are not - and there is a third wheel played by an actor who is NOT....well....very good.....

Jrand, I had my couple married because I thought it needed that emotional investment for the woman to stay with the guy.  If I have a criticism of Cronenberg's version, it would be I don't know that the girl would have quite the emotional investment in someone she had so recently met.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2010, 02:29:05 PM »

The list price is only $19.99, and I'm sure you'll be able to find it considerably cheaper. I'd think it would be a must for a Lucy fan, but not being a huge collector, I don't know how much of this stuff was already available elsewhere.

I think most, if not all, of it is available on the big heart shaped ILL Complete set.  Mine is currently boxed somewhere, so I can't check.  I know at least the "movie" and the colorized Scotland ep are on the Complete set.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2010, 02:30:47 PM »

BK and any others who care, Ken has slightly revised his LOTR review, but has posted very in depth comments on the LOTR thread on the Forum at Blu-ray.com, including some very interesting reading from the cinematographer that does indeed give credence to at least some of Ken's problems with the transfer.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »

BK, perhaps we could go for dinner before the play on the 7th?

I have not yet decided if I will drive up to Olympia and then drive back home to Salem that night, or if I will get a room and drive back the following morning. If I stay then we can also do breakfast, perhaps.

I think that the plan (right now) is for BK and the cast (and guests) to dine after the show (after the talk-back).  If you do choose to dine afterwards, it will be very late and you might want to consider staying overnight in Olympia.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »

Beautiful wildflowers DR John G.  Thank you.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2010, 03:19:10 PM »

Last week I mentioned that I would willingly sit through a screening of SHOWGIRLS, rather than having to sit through ARMAGEDDON ever again.

Today let me just say that I would willing sit through both SHOWGIRLS and ARMAGEDDON rather than ever having to sit through LORD OF THE RINGS another time.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »

I think dinner at 5:30 or so.....giving us plenty of time to make the trek to the theatre about half an hour or so even if we don't leave the meal until almost 7........

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »

I agree DR CP - I didn't get the emotional investment of the couple in the finished film that was in your script.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up