Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: YES, WE HAVE NO BON MOTS  (Read 11704 times)

Ben

Re: YES, WE HAVE NO BON MOTS
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 06:07:46 AM »

Believe me I am NOT denigrating ANYONE'S viewpoint or belief in Crying Game's twist AND I am NOT gloating but I knew nothing about the movie and when the character in question first appeared on the screen I knew instantly what the twist was. I shall say no more for fear of spoiler accusations.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 06:08:34 AM »

TOD:

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK -- I saw it the week it opened and had no idea what was going to happen or what was going to be revealed.

I waited far too long to see THE CRYING GAME.  I knew there was a MAJOR TWIST and while I guessed what it was I didn't know how it was going to be reavealed, so that part was still somewhat surprising.

And while watching TV one night with my mom, a commercial for THE SIXTH SENSE aired and she said, "I'll bet you anything that he is ****"  so that kind of took the wind out that particuar twist.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 06:09:11 AM »

Thanks for the info, DR Elmore.  I will make our reservations today.  Can we help you with airport transportation?

I don't know yet. I do feel some obligation for leaving that to my hosts at the moment. They may be happy to pass the buck to you, but they may also have Sunday morning plans. I know the return flights at 12:12 pm, and that's about all.

No problem, just wanted you to know that we're available and will have a car.  Do you fly into/out of Akron/Canton or Cleveland?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 06:21:56 AM »

I'm up, I've announced, I'm going back to bed.

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 06:23:56 AM »

It is pretty dreary here today.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 06:24:05 AM »

Good episode of TAR last night!

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 06:25:01 AM »

I am happy because the channel that shows the CLOSER here finally decided to start showing season 4 (that is where they left off). Although i'm not sure how anybody would know to watch since it is on at midnight on sunday nights. But luckily my tv was programmed to look for it.

I can't wait to watch it!

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 06:27:24 AM »

re: the TOD

I remember at the time seeing the SIXTH SENSE and that was the twist that everyone was talking about.

I hate knowing twists in advance, so i'm really glad i wasn't spoiled on that one.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »

Good morning!

Another eight degrees warmer this morning for my walk, but maybe my body adjusted to it because I didn't feel as wiped out by the time I got home.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 06:53:13 AM »

It's going to rain on and off all day today. Fortunately, I got my walk in this morning before it started raining, but it's drizzling now and likely to continue.

Cillaliz

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 06:53:48 AM »

Oh Good Grief!! I just realized I didn't sign in yesterday to wish one of my favorite people a Happy Birthday!!!

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY FJL!!!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 06:55:10 AM »

Yesterday I spent 14 hours drafting the architectural guidelines for the historic neighborhood I'm working on.  I completed the first draft and will be giving it to HWHC today.  Hopefully we can get it to final form very soon.  I don't want to be working with him anymore

Cillaliz

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 06:55:29 AM »

Now, back to my real job...

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 06:57:06 AM »

TOD:

THE USUAL SUSPECTS.

But I'll admit that the twist in THE CRYING GAME is certainly one of the all-time greats. I figured out THE SIXTH SENSE fairly early in the movie and kept waiting for validation and was so proud when it finally came. The same director's THE VILLAGE didn't fool me either.

Other big surprises: MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (I hadn't read the book prior to the movie), DIABOLIQUE.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 06:58:02 AM »

Today's work project will be the Blu-ray of WALKABOUT. I did the DVD version exactly a week ago, so this should be a fairly easy day unless something comes in which is more pressing.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 06:58:35 AM »

New episodes tonight of CHUCK, '24,' LAW & ORDER, CASTLE, and NURSE JACKIE. Yep, you can tell that it's sweeps month at the end of the season!

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 07:00:08 AM »

I had never even heard of ISLAND OF LOVE (bk notes). Thanks for the warning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 07:02:45 AM »

Thanks for the info, DR Elmore.  I will make our reservations today.  Can we help you with airport transportation?

I don't know yet. I do feel some obligation for leaving that to my hosts at the moment. They may be happy to pass the buck to you, but they may also have Sunday morning plans. I know the return flights at 12:12 pm, and that's about all.

No problem, just wanted you to know that we're available and will have a car.  Do you fly into/out of Akron/Canton or Cleveland?

Canton.

I am back from the barber.  I left the apartment in silence when I left at 8:45, and I just turned on the tv. I hope it drives him insane. Now I have to go to the doctor and then to Toyland.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 07:03:03 AM »

TOD:

THE USUAL SUSPECTS.

But I'll admit that the twist in THE CRYING GAME is certainly one of the all-time greats. I figured out THE SIXTH SENSE fairly early in the movie and kept waiting for validation and was so proud when it finally came. The same director's THE VILLAGE didn't fool me either.

Other big surprises: MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (I hadn't read the book prior to the movie), DIABOLIQUE.

Absolutely THE USUAL SUSPECTS.  Blew me away.

I knew that a twist was coming in THE VILLAGE, but didn't suspect that one.

Did anybody see A PERFECT GETAWAY last year?

I guessed that one in the first five minutes of the film.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 07:15:52 AM »

I guess I'll head down now and get cleaned up for lunch out with best friend John.

WBBL.

KevinH

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 07:52:57 AM »

Greetings from sunny Hollywood!

I had a great day yesterday. My friend Paul arrived from Fullerton and we had an early lunch at a place called Sharky's--they have "healthy" Mexican food.   I had a tostada that was really tasty. 

We then walked to the Pantages and met our other friend Leonard and two friends of his. 

It was time for Chicago again.  Everyone was in top form again--"Mary Sunshine" is just great.   Carol Woods as Mama Morton was wonderful.  Michelle Williams as Roxie was fine, but to tell the truth, I preferred the understudy from the night before.   And I was disappointed that there was no cartwheel in the last song.   Brent was his usual brilliant self!   We saw Brent afterwards for a few minutes--he's so friendly and was very patient taking yet another picture! (actually several pictures).

We went to a place where they serve chicken and waffles ( I can't think of the name of it).  Since I don't eat meat, I had a side of mac and cheese, a salad and cornbread.  It was very good.

So my friends were going to stop at a drinking establishment before heading back to their various locales and someone asked if I wanted to go back and see the 6:30 performance of Chicago.  Well, I found out that the theatre had $25 rush tickets.  Long story short, I got an aisle seat, in the center orchestra (Row T) for only $25, so back I went!   It's really such a great show and I guess I am Brent's biggest fan!

Paul is coming back for lunch and as you may have read (I'm so honored to be mentioned in the notes!) I may meet BK himself !  I'm really looking forward to doing so!

Bye for now!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 07:53:18 AM »

Like Ben, I guessed the "twist" to CRYING GAME from virtually the first moment that character arrived.  Unfortunately, I almost *always* guess twists early in films, especially when it's been announced that there *is* a twist.  As DW Wife Betsy will attest, I like to memorialize the moment I know what the twist is going to be by telling her my theory, which is almost always correct, LOL.   Maybe that's the reason she likes to watch movies by herself.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 08:05:50 AM »

Assuming the publisher okays it, this will probably be the front cover photo for my book.

Actually, I'm on the top of the Empire State Building, but the photographer had a long range lens on his camera.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 08:06:21 AM »

Sad news:  Mrs. Justina Cosby of Nigeria is dying from lung cancer.  Happy news:  she wants me to have her 5.4 million.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 08:09:24 AM »

Sad news:  Mrs. Justina Cosby of Nigeria is dying from lung cancer.  Happy news:  she wants me to have her 5.4 million.

:D

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2010, 08:11:47 AM »

Seriously, these scams are getting very sophisticated. 

I got one on Saturday from a "bank," supposedly in the Netherlands, that not only had my name but also my old address from when I lived in Calabasas almost 10 years ago.

Cillaliz

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »

I'm taking Callie into the vet this afternoon.   She's been hiding a lot and acting like she's in pain.  I'm very worried about her.  She did leave presents in the litter box, so I'm not sure what's going on.  Hopefully it's nothing serious

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2010, 08:16:01 AM »

Nice photo, DR DRUXY....looking forward to the tome.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 08:17:03 AM »

Unfortunately I had heard about the "twist" in THE CRYING GAME before I saw it.

I did not guess THE SIXTH SENSE......but THE USUAL SUSPECTS was very obvious to me from the "acting" going on....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »

Congratulations to Jennifer Kauffman on his newfound riches.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up