Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FULL OF BEANS  (Read 11979 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: FULL OF BEANS
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »

Page Two Does-Anyone-Still-Do-The-Mexican-Hat-Dance Dance

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 07:57:04 AM »

TOD....or mae that anti-TOD:

Worst Mexican food I ever ate was my one and only visit to a Del Taco in San Diego, circa 1993.  Ugh!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:59:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »

TOD:  Most enjoyable Mexican food I ever tasted was at a small taqueria here in Oakland.  I went weekly with co-workers and I especially loved something the name of which I've forgotten.  But it had meat inside and was served with a topping of chili verde.  It was Totally Yum.  I also loved their Oakland Platter....a variety of Mexican taste-bud teasers.

One week, a co-worker and I arrived to find the place vacated.  Not even a stray menu on the floor.   It is now a Chinese church of some denomination or other.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 08:27:46 AM »

I must risk sounding easy-to-please, but the Taco Bell on 3rd Avenue near 57th was pretty much always an abnormally satisfying experience, which was never duplicated at any other Taco Bell.  I wonder if it was the neighborhood and the fact that there were so many choices for people in the area to get quick food.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 09:01:18 AM »

Eating a less than splendid Mexican meal put Betsy into labor with Gabe.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 09:01:52 AM »

It was also the night the bomb went off at the Atlanta Olympics, unless that was Zach, LOL.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 09:08:30 AM »

I hopped back on while I wait for my ride.

I watched about 20 minutes of STAGECOACH on DVD from Criterion. Don't get your hopes up that they could accomplish miracles. The transfer is just as irregular as it's always been: some sharp, some soft, some clean, some loaded with scratches, and very hissy sound.

The Blu-ray's PCM lossless sound at a much higher bitrate may improve matters there, but the picture having to be cobbled together from different sources just isn't going to get that much better in HD, I suspect. I'll find out next week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »

Hope all are having a good day.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »

The problem with Stagecoach that they never really seem to address is that the negative is lost - therefore these transfers are all coming off internegatives made from what were or are the best available prints.  It's shocking, but true and it's never going to look great.  Why they don't just say that so that people understand, I have no idea.  Or do they?  Because I certainly haven't seen it mentioned in the reviews I've read.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »

I'm up, it's another beautiful day, and that's a good thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »

Re the review - it's our second kind of review - the first kind appreciate the show for what it is.  The second kind like to show their superiority.  In Indiana we got the first kind.  I suspect that all the reviews in Olympia will be the second kind, especially if they attended the preview.  It happened to us in NY.  Preview reviews were pretty terrible, opening night reviews were much better.  Go know.  I can't wait to see it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2010, 09:33:14 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! I have a few things to accomplish here before I head home. The McGlinnventory was a lot of fun today: listening to countless unidentified cassettes and deciphering them, listening to old radio interviews concerning McGlinn's first recording "The Songs of New York," hearing Kiri Te Kanawa's big Gershwin tantrum for the first time since it happened in the recording studio, Roberta Peters in a 1989 concert. We also located the first act full score of ZIP GOES A MILLION so I can send all of that show to the Library of Congress. It's been a good day so far.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »

I want to read more about Te Kanawa's "big Gershwin tantrum."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »

It was also the night the bomb went off at the Atlanta Olympics, unless that was Zach, LOL.

That was 1996, JMK....does that help?

JMK

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 09:48:15 AM »

That was 1996, JMK....does that help?

Then it was indeed Gabe.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »

I, for one, love good Mexican food.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »

Well, that was interesting.  I went to American Airlines to print out my boarding pass - only one can't do so because the flight is actually on Alaska Airlines.  Never mind that American says NOTHING about this until you actually try to use their record locater number to check in - at which point you find out you actually have to check in via Alaska online.  Fine and dandy.  Only at Alaska online they won't accept the American locater number.  Now, why wouldn't American give you the correct locater number so that one could then easily check in?  In fact, why wouldn't American actually give you the correct Alaska flight number rather than some meaningless flight number of their own?  So, I had to call Alaska, wait for fifteen minutes until I got a customer service person, after which I was promptly and courteously given all the correct information, after which I did my online check in.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »

Re the review - it's our second kind of review - the first kind appreciate the show for what it is.  The second kind like to show their superiority.  In Indiana we got the first kind.  I suspect that all the reviews in Olympia will be the second kind, especially if they attended the preview.  It happened to us in NY.  Preview reviews were pretty terrible, opening night reviews were much better.  Go know.  I can't wait to see it.

The reviewer only recently became a reviewer for this and another website.  He is knowledgeable about theater, but I think that he was just showing off...even though his girlfriend is in the show!

Other reviewers in the past have "gotten" TAO and what we're doing with these shows.  It's all just for fun...over-the-top, very stylized and completely ridiculous fun.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »

Thursday afternoon greetings!  I slept quite late this morning, then went at noon to have my hair cut and to the post office.  Waiting for me when I got home from those errands - BK's new book and the sparkling gift!

We're taking my Mom out tonight for our Mother's Day dinner, because we never go out to eat on the actual day - too many people!  We're going to Der Dutchman in Waynesville, one of Mom's favorite places.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »

Books arrived. 

Currently enjoying the CD.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »

Mel, Woody and BK have arrived here as well.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 11:35:38 AM »

Hello, everyone.

The day has not started well here and I have much to do; I was hoping for a very productive day. Sigh.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »

On the positive side of things, I am honored to share my name with DR Laura's momcat. I used to have a couple cats that looked a lot like her. Thank you, Laura.

Laura

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2010, 11:39:04 AM »

You're welcome, Jeanne.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 11:44:24 AM »

Regarding the TAO review, I would say that the reviewer seems to have a grudge against the material, ie, it's not the sort of thing he thinks TAO ought to be doing. But he did seem to be entertained just the same. IMO, if you can enterain someone who is outside his genre, so to speak, then you've done quite a bit. That person may not be your biggest fan, but I do think it says something about the appeal of the work.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 11:48:42 AM »

TOD:

The worst Mexican food I've had was in Mexico--I did not care at all for the Mexican food I had in Mexico. The best Mexican food I've had has been in LA. In DC, I had some Tex-Mex food, which I wasn't impressed with. Since I grew up in LA I think my idea of good Mexican food is what I got used to here.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »

Must get some work done.

TTFN.

Ben

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 11:50:25 AM »

Well, I'll have to check the mail basket on my way in to the office tomorrow to see if my book has arrived. It may also appear on my desk after I leave this afternoon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »

I look forward to DR DtM's book THE EDGE OF THE STORM.

DR ELMORE - thanks for the lovely CD which arrived yesterday, I shall listen to it this weekend.

Perhaps THE BOOK is waiting for me at home....I shall know in about three hours.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 12:33:22 PM »

I like bananas because they have appeal.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up