Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FULL OF BEANS  (Read 12041 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: FULL OF BEANS
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »

The problem with Stagecoach that they never really seem to address is that the negative is lost - therefore these transfers are all coming off internegatives made from what were or are the best available prints.  It's shocking, but true and it's never going to look great.  Why they don't just say that so that people understand, I have no idea.  Or do they?  Because I certainly haven't seen it mentioned in the reviews I've read.

I haven't read the booklet yet (which may address the materials they had to work with) nor looked at most of the bonus features on disc 2, so the problems may be mentioned. I don't know yet as the set is still to be completed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »

Page Three Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2010, 01:08:43 PM »

Lunch ran very long, so I was glad I had started STAGECOACH since my afternoon time wasn't as much as I'd hoped.

I did finish it once I got inside. As magnificent as always, and later reels look better than the earlier ones, but no one is going to mistake this for a pristine transfer. They've obviously done the best they can with it, but the film's the thing, not the transfer. The film is still a wonder.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »

I only listened to about 20 minutes of the commentary so far, but it's well researched and delivered by a western film expert (I'd never heard of him ): Jim Kitses. I hope to listen to the rest of it tonight after I finish the other bonus features.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2010, 01:11:36 PM »

They have the theatrical trailer on there, and then I began watching the 1917 silent film contained on disc two, one of Ford's early westerns BUCKING BROADWAY with Harry Carey. Ironically, I've seen about 20 minutes of it (it's not quite an hour long), and it looks better than STAGECOACH does. It's been tinted (amber and green scenes so far) and has a new, spritely score.

Michael

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2010, 01:14:54 PM »

Got the book

Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »

As to BRAIN FROM PLANET X and the New York Times review,  Anne Midgette's NY Times tone was extremely positive, even more so within the overview of NYMF 2007 that she was giving is. 

In the article at

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/04/23/1215968/brain-heavy-on-cheese.html

while a nice puff piece, the quote is from the NY Times review, I feel that the point of the Times review is being represented rather unfairly in the Olympian. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:30:30 PM by FJL »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »

Regarding the TAO review, I would say that the reviewer seems to have a grudge against the material, ie, it's not the sort of thing he thinks TAO ought to be doing. But he did seem to be entertained just the same. IMO, if you can enterain someone who is outside his genre, so to speak, then you've done quite a bit. That person may not be your biggest fan, but I do think it says something about the appeal of the work.

The reviewer, IMO, was doing exactly what George said - showing off - showing superiority over the material and then comparing it to two shows that have nothing to do with what we did - Little Shop and Rocky Horror.  As to World of Tomorrow being our Somewhere That's Green - that's all I needed to read to know this reviewer had no clue - our Somewhere That's Green is clearly Here On Earth.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »

I only listened to about 20 minutes of the commentary so far, but it's well researched and delivered by a western film expert (I'd never heard of him ): Jim Kitses. I hope to listen to the rest of it tonight after I finish the other bonus features.

Jim Kitses, a wonderful writer/historian who wrote the classic film book Horizon's West.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »

As to BRAIN FROM PLANET X and the New York Times review,  Anne Midgette's NY Times tone was extremely positive, even more so within the overview of NYMF 2007 that she was giving is.  While the quote is from the NY Times review, I feel that the point of the Times review is being represented rather unfairly in the Olympian. 

I must have missed that part. 

FJL

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2010, 01:32:18 PM »

bk - sorry, I fixed my post, it was the puff piece in the Olympian that quoted Anne Midgette.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »

I haven't read reviews of any production I was a part of in more than a decade. I was always used to getting nice mentions and then I read this scathing, vitriolic review of my work in ONCE UPON A MATTRESS (two other critics have been very positive about it), so I decided then and there that if I believed the good, I'd have to believe the bad, too, and my psyche couldn't stand the bad, so I dropped them all.

I know myself whether the performance I've given is up to snuff and whether the production I'm in is worthy. I don't need validation from someone else to know good from bad.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »

FJL - yes, now I see - and I'd read that before and feel exactly as you do.  Funnily, in Indiana, every review I've seen just took the show for the show it is - no unlikely comparisons or anything - and they had a good time for doing that.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »

Now, I'm going to hop off-line and write-up what I've done so far on my work project today. Then, it's back downstairs to see how many more of the bonus features I can get done before 8:10 (when I must join BONES). With all these bonuses, I may not get finished with STAGECOACH tonight. If so, I'll finish it tomorrow morning.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »

Oh, rats!

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2010, 01:37:28 PM »

I agree about reviews, MattH.  I rarely read them unless someone points me directly to something - and even then, it's just curiosity most of the time - neither bad nor good really mean that much, unless I'm hearing nice things about my books - that always means something - but from real people, not reviewers.  So, I'm looking forward to hearing thoughts from people here about the new book.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »

Books arrived. 

Currently enjoying the CD.

Ditto and ditto!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »

My book just arrived. No checks, alas. Just a book and its accompanying CD, and I look forward to my day at home tomorrow to listen. I can't begin the book till I get OZ off my desk.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »

DR Jane, I just checked on my library's website and the MILLENIUM 2 movie had come in. So i reserved it. Yeah!

:)    NetFlix now shows a release month, June, for the first movie.

Yesterday I read an article by the U.S. publisher of Hornets' Nest bemoaning the fact they did not coordinate the release of the book with the release in the UK  Too many people can't wait & are ordering copies on line from the UK.  Some book stores are even getting copies to sell to their customers, which they shouldn't be doing.

Laura

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2010, 02:13:19 PM »

For what it's worth (which is absolutely nothing), I didn't like "Little Shop of Horrors" and I've only seen clips of "Rocky Horror." I'd give away tickets to Rocky Horror if I had them. I loved "The Brain From Planet X."
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »

I'm done with everything and now get to just relax.  Ate a nice lunch at Hugo's, will jog in a few hours, am packed (all three items), and have done all errands and whatnot.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »

Got my copy of the book this morning!  Can't wait to start reading!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »

Are they seriously remaking DAMN YANKEES?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »

Re the review - it's our second kind of review - the first kind appreciate the show for what it is.  The second kind like to show their superiority.  In Indiana we got the first kind.  I suspect that all the reviews in Olympia will be the second kind, especially if they attended the preview.  It happened to us in NY.  Preview reviews were pretty terrible, opening night reviews were much better.  Go know.  I can't wait to see it.

The reviewer only recently became a reviewer for this and another website.  He is knowledgeable about theater, but I think that he was just showing off...even though his girlfriend is in the show!

Other reviewers in the past have "gotten" TAO and what we're doing with these shows.  It's all just for fun...over-the-top, very stylized and completely ridiculous fun.

I think this reviewer is an asshole.  They should bring back Dunkelberger!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »

T.O.D.

The best Mexican food ever was my mom's tamale pie.  Okay, perhaps it isn't true Mexican food, but boy did I love it and boy did I love her.  Her birthday was Monday.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »

For what it's worth (which is absolutely nothing), I didn't like "Little Shop of Horrors" and I've only seen clips of "Rocky Horror." I'd give away tickets to Rocky Horror if I had them. I loved "The Brain From Planet X."

It is  true. Laura laughed at all the naughty parts!

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2010, 03:36:38 PM »

Well, I am all set to go to Olympia for the play...except I have totally forgotten to purchase a ticket! LOL!

I am glad I now remembered this.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »

Well, I'm assuming that David and I have tickets :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »

Tickets!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »

Well, I am all set to go to Olympia for the play...except I have totally forgotten to purchase a ticket! LOL!

I am glad I now remembered this.

Mikey, you aren't still planning on driving home after the show are you?
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up