Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WICKY WACKY  (Read 12105 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WICKY WACKY
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:46:50 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were good wacky, and now it is time for you to post until the ticky tacky cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WICKY WACKY
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:47:51 AM »

And the word of the day is: VIBRISSA!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:08:47 AM »

First to reply! Morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 03:09:19 AM »

Vibes for a bad wacky-free day.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:16:04 AM »

TOD: "The Quiet Man" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

I couldn't remember all that Ford had directed, so I went to www.imdb.com. I don't think I know that he directed "Wee Willie Winkie." While there, I found a half-hour film of Ford's available for free download called "Sex Hygiene." It was a WWII VD flick for the troops (sort of the non-musical version of "The Good-Time Girl" from "Over Here!"). I watched a few minutes and was surprised that it was as explicit as it was, not in terms of the sex. Enjoy: http://www.archive.org/details/SEX.HYGIENE

Again, it is quite graphic.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:38:19 PM by John G. »
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:21:26 AM »

Good morning, all! Today's only Thursday and I would swear it is Friday. And I soound like Gertrude Stein.

Today is another McGlinnventory day, followed by a couple of hours of editing with Mr Skip Kennon. I've got some newly copied scores taken from the Victor Herbert song manuscripts to edit and lyrics to decipher. I got one song back from my copyist Dan and I left the entire vocal line clear because he couldn't read Herbert's handwriting. I deciphered all but one word, and here's the phrase with the missing word:
   When the sun in golden splendor
   Sinks behind the distant hills
   Then a __________ sweetly tender
   All my inward beng thrills

The word in question is two syllables. On the score it looks as if it's all composed of small case c's, a's, and s's but it's a word like "feeling" or "passion" with the stress on the first syllable. I'm taking the score to the office to enlarge the line on the copier to see if I can decipher it. I need my thesaurus.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 04:35:19 AM »

I have heard about these films but this is the first time I've seen one. OMG, some of those pictures are hard to watch.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 04:35:28 AM »

By the way, morning all.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 04:35:41 AM »

Congrats to Vixter for her win.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:35:51 AM »

Vibes to Joe and WFO

Ben

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 04:36:47 AM »

Kevin, sounds like you had fun in New York. Sorry we weren't able to get together but I'm sure the next time we can see you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 05:29:10 AM »

What was supposed to be a day with only MY planned activities has turned into a shared day....and there are NOT enough hours.

I shall be back anon.

TOD:

THE QUIET MAN
THE SEARCHERS
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 05:45:47 AM »

Today is here!
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 05:48:53 AM »

TOD:

THE QUIET MAN
THE GRAPES OF WRATH
THE SEARCHERS
HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY
STAGECOACH

Hmmm...I always thought that Ford also directed RED RIVER but I was mistaken--it was Howard Hawks.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 05:50:38 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Today's a big Vera sale at my local retailer and a friend is on her way from Columbus to go with me.

When I got home from the webinar yesterday, I finished preparing the dinner Richard had started.  After we ate we watched an odd little movie called New York, I Love You followed by the season finale of CSI: NY.  Enjoyed both, but it looks like I missed a lot here on HHW:

Healing vibes to DR td!

Healing and strength vibes to DR WFO and Joe!

DR Danise - yikes!!!

DRs Vixmom and the Vixter - congratulations!!!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 05:59:37 AM »

Good morning, all! Today's only Thursday and I would swear it is Friday. And I soound like Gertrude Stein.

Today is another McGlinnventory day, followed by a couple of hours of editing with Mr Skip Kennon. I've got some newly copied scores taken from the Victor Herbert song manuscripts to edit and lyrics to decipher. I got one song back from my copyist Dan and I left the entire vocal line clear because he couldn't read Herbert's handwriting. I deciphered all but one word, and here's the phrase with the missing word:

The word in question is two syllables. On the score it looks as if it's all composed of small case c's, a's, and s's but it's a word like "feeling" or "passion" with the stress on the first syllable. I'm taking the score to the office to enlarge the line on the copier to see if I can decipher it. I need my thesaurus.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 06:21:42 AM »

TOD:

Dan (the Man) and I almost have exactly the same list:

THE QUIET MAN
THE GRAPES OF WRATH
THE SEARCHERS
HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY
STAGECOACH

I would also add MISTER ROBERTS, but he really co-directed that with Mervyn LeRoy.

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 06:34:29 AM »

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of John Ford...particularly his westerns.  [STAGECOACH & THE SEARCHERS being exceptions.]

I think he's very over-rated as a director.

Yes, his visuals are stunning and most of his films have memorable moments, but most are also slow moving, over-acted and the "comedy" sequences in them (e.g. the wedding scene in THE SEARCHERS)  are embarrassing.

I would much prefer watching a film directed by Raoul Walsh or Michael Curtiz than one by Ford...or Howard Hawks. 

Walsh and Curtiz knew how tell a story.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 06:49:19 AM »

DR Jane no i am not reading THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST yet. Even though I am probably going to be in the first queue of people, my library did not get it yet. Hopefully they will get it very soon. But they are behind. So it could be a couple of weeks.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 07:12:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: VIBRISSA!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  MY FAVORITE THINGS

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 08:07:57 AM »

DR Jane no i am not reading THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST yet. Even though I am probably going to be in the first queue of people, my library did not get it yet. Hopefully they will get it very soon. But they are behind. So it could be a couple of weeks.

Sorry your library is behind.  I wonder if it is the publisher who is behind in mailing the books.  So far as I can tell my library doesn't have it yet.  I might ask today out of curiosity.  My brother's library has it, yet his copy isn't available even though it should have been.  He is wondering if the librarians are reading it first.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 08:15:16 AM »

Among My Favorite Things are drinks I like to call Wicky Wacky Bowls!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 08:17:56 AM »

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of John Ford...particularly his westerns.  [STAGECOACH & THE SEARCHERS being exceptions.]

I think he's very over-rated as a director.

Yes, his visuals are stunning and most of his films have memorable moments, but most are also slow moving, over-acted and the "comedy" sequences in them (e.g. the wedding scene in THE SEARCHERS)  are embarrassing.

I would much prefer watching a film directed by Raoul Walsh or Michael Curtiz than one by Ford...or Howard Hawks. 

Walsh and Curtiz knew how tell a story.

Aghast again....agape again....and soon I shall be all agog again...Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered am I.....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:21:08 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »

Sorry your library is behind.  I wonder if it is the publisher who is behind in mailing the books.  So far as I can tell my library doesn't have it yet.  I might ask today out of curiosity.  My brother's library has it, yet his copy isn't available even though it should have been.  He is wondering if the librarians are reading it first.

I am waiting for 3 other books that came out in May.  I request a lot of books so I see how far they are behind. Some books they get the same week. But some books they might only get a month later.

I did see the GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST at costco yesterday when i went to get my pictures. I bet a lot of people are going to Chapters bookstore and sitting and reading it. Although at 500+ pages i think i will savor it when i get it.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »

Congrats to the Vixter.

More vibes for Joe and DR WFO. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 08:19:49 AM »

Very cute, D(t)M....

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 08:21:06 AM »

DR Jane (and anyone else who still watches) tonight is the series finale of FLASHFORWARD.

And the premiere of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, with Mia Michaels as the new permanent judge. And they are changing the format. There will be 12 allstars (past favorite contestants) that will be paired up with new crop from this year.

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 08:21:58 AM »

It was so weird they had Jennifer Love Hewitt hosting the VIEW yesterday. They brought up GHOST WHISPERER but did not mention it was cancelled or if ABC was picking it up. I wonder when they have till to decide.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 08:22:18 AM »

How can we still be on page one?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 08:55:10 AM »

How can we still be on page one?

That's one of life's great mysteries.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up