Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FINE AND FANCY-FREE  (Read 16124 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FINE AND FANCY-FREE
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:10:28 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were both fine and fancy-free, and now it is time for you to post until the fine and fancy-free cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FINE AND FANCY-FREE
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:12:51 AM »

And the word of the day is: RODOMONTADE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 12:14:08 AM »

As promised, here's the new Kritzerland release, for your eyes only.  You know the drill - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping paid via paypal to kritzerland at adephia dot net.

BOY AGAINST BUCCANEER!  ALL THE WONDER OF PERCEPTOVISION!

Kritzerland is proud to present a world premiere limited edition CD release:

THE BOY AND THE PIRATES
Music Composed and Conducted by Albert Glasser

In 1960, after years of producing films about giant creatures, colossal men, Cyclops, and tiny Puppet People, Bert I. Gordon, affectionately known as Mr. BIG, did something very unexpected – he made a really fun children’s adventure film called The Boy and the Pirates.   The film starred Charles Herbert as the boy, Murvyn Vye as the pirate, and, best of all, Mr. BIG’S very own daughter Susan Gordon as the girl.

SEE! SEE! SEE! 

The Amazing Genie! The Growing Sea-Mountain! The Fantastic Journey Into Time! The Magic Fog!  The Most Amazing Adventure a Boy Ever Lived!

The one-sheet for the film told kids of the day all they needed to know and they flocked to the theater.  Just what PerceptOvision was was anyone’s guess, but whatever it was, we loved it.  And yes, there was a genie, and there was magic fog (pink, to be exact), and there was a boy and there were pirates galore and a wonderful pirate ship and adventures and the adorable Susan Gordon.  And tying it all together was the score of Albert Glasser.

While Glasser had been scoring every kind of low-budget film in every kind of genre, for Mr. BIG he’d been composing one horror film after another, so The Boy and the Pirates was a nice change of pace for both of them.  And it was also the type of score Glasser knew intimately – the big, swashbuckling sort of music he was around when he began in Hollywood, especially when he was working with the master of that kind of music, the great Erich Wolfgang Korngold.  Glasser came up with a lot of swash and even more buckle, with his trademark blaring brass, fun themes, and rip-roaring Saturday matinee adventure music and all in stereophonic sound.  It’s grand to hear Glasser in a mode other than horror, and his music really works wonderfully in the film and on its own.

For this release, we used 1/4-inch stereo tapes, which were in very good condition.  We’ve tried to put this in as close to film order as possible – as frequently happens, some of the music was truncated, some repeated, and some not used.  It’s a very short score, so to add a little bit more playing time to the CD we’re pleased to present a little mini-suite from Mr. BIG’s classic, Attack of the Puppet People.  Sadly, all the tapes we’ve heard on this score have horrible distortion – we’re still on the prowl for better tapes, but until they turn up, we’ve salvaged the few cues that didn’t have extreme distortion and edited them together into a nice little musical appetizer. 

So, join us on the high seas for adventure and fun with Pirates and Puppet People!

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the third week of July – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:15:49 AM »

Can't have enough Mr. BIG film scores, and I can only tell you, there will be more coming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:20:26 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 12:29:42 AM »

THE BOY AND THE PIRATES has been ordered!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 04:39:55 AM »

Good morning, all.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 04:47:32 AM »

Last night, a few friends talked into going dancing, which I hadn't really done in nine months and I felt really rusty. The place, called Ballroom Dance Annex, was hot. The AC was broken and the fans only offered minimal relief. The $2 bottle of water was tepid. And everything about it was wonderful.

It was great to see old friends, great to know I could still dance a rumba and a cha-cha, and just glad to be doing something other than work for a change. Diana and I even won the sexiest dance competition, which was to a bolero. It didn't matter that we weren't on the beat, that we switched from bolero to rumba in midstream, that Diana had a bit too much tequila and was feeling it whenever she did a turn. Actually the tequila probably helped us win.

Then it was off to a place called the Hangin' Tree Saloon for some live music by a Texas singer-songwriter James Hand and some two-stepping. More fun, even if it was a bit smoky. I smell like an ash tray still.

I'm a bit bleary this morning, but I'm glad I went. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 04:58:20 AM »

Just caught up with yesterday's postings. Great news on Joe's surgery. Continued healing vibes for all needing.

And have a great Memorial Day. Thankfully, I'm scheduled to work tomorrow, though I find it odd that there's only regular pay tomorrow, no holiday pay, even though it's gov'ment work.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 05:04:43 AM »

INVASION U.S.A.:

I recall seeing that when it first came out, and it scared the s**t out of me.

I saw it again when it came out on DVD (mainly because Dan O'Herlihy was in it), and thought it was pretty silly.

Dan said that he only worked one day on the movie.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 06:00:26 AM »

Congrats to DR JOHNG on his Sexiest Dance Award.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 06:00:42 AM »

Ordered Pirates/Puppet....wooooooohooooooooooooo!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 06:06:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: RODOMONTADE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I'VE GOTTA CROW

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 06:08:21 AM »

Hmmmmmmm according the Amazon.com INVASION USA will ship within 1-3 weeks!  Why the delay?

Ben

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 06:13:11 AM »

Morning all.

We are having dinner this evening with friends, one from Chicago and one from DC

Ben

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 06:13:36 AM »

We are listening to After The Ball after eating breakfast

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 06:54:22 AM »

I spent 6 hours yesterday with a pickaxe and shovel, planting tomatoes and peppers and prepping other garden areas while Greg used pulleys and hunks of marble to straighten up the fence that has continued to lean more with every flood. Now that he's fixed it, it looks like a new fence and I'm anxious to do more work in the garden.

Even though I spent several hours pulling weeds before digging, my arms and hands are what really hurt. They didn't hurt at the time but by the time I went to bed I couldn't sleep. After an hour I did get to sleep but then when my DH came to bed he woke me and I was up for another couple of hours.

It was so rare lately to have a day when I wasn't indoors editing that I overdid it. But at least the mosquitoes weren't too horrible until @ sunset.

We have a wonderful nursery here with heirloom tomatoes so I hope we have a good crop this year. (Last fall they were all under water!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Kerry

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 06:55:33 AM »

It's a fine day!
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 06:56:59 AM »

I worked on a movie called INVASION U.S.A. but this was a different one, starring Chuck Norris.

Horrible movie, but the most interesting thing about it is that they blow up my DH's childhood home. (Fortunately, they had already moved when the airport bought m any of the houses for noise abatement when they expanded.) This was in '85, before I'd even met my DH. Quite a coinky-dink!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 07:00:10 AM »

Our house in Marietta is on the National Register, and so is the home of bk's friend Michael Burns. His house is for sale. Wonder if he wants to do a house swap?

http://www.showcase.com/property/1567-Harrodsburg-Road/Danville/Kentucky/6571980

Check out the pdf flyer---what a wonderful location and restoration job they did. But maybe they decided to scale down from 500+ acres!

Edisaurus

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 07:02:41 AM »

I've been E&T while doing CLOSER work and cutting the trailer for our baseball doc at night. I sent the traler off last night and the producer and director loved it. Now the distributor will be the test, since it's a minute longer than he asked for! ("snip snip here, snip snip there...")

Edisaurus

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 07:03:58 AM »

For those fans of the kitty Joel, on THE CLOSER, when the next season returns he's a BIG kitty, so they probably used the same one. He's very handsome!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 07:05:40 AM »

tomato vibes for DR EDISAURUS.....that IS a lovely home!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 07:06:55 AM »

Today is the annual season Open House for Putnam County Playhouse followed by the board meeting.

Of course the director of Hello, Dolly! decided that her cast would NOT be present during the holiday because it was too much trouble....so for the first time in over 10 years we will have NO entertainment.....I don't expect a lot of people, but we shall see.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »

I'm awake, showered (like you all needed to know that) and ready to head out to work.  It's a really lovely day here in the SF Bay Area and I hope it stays this way throughout the summer.  This rain in May SHOULD stay mainly in the plains, I always say.  This afternoon, the family is coming over for a BBQ and to see our newly landscaped yard.  Should be too too fun.  Yesterday, we put in some new flowers, with some decorative bark, and some really cool solar lights (and cheap, $2 a piece!!!), so the yard is coming along.  One addition that we have decided on but have yet been able to find is a chiminea.  You'd think they would be plentiful in these parts, but if they are, they are hiding.  Come hell or high water, we will find a chiminea to complete this phase of the back yard.

And now, I'm outa here.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 07:45:34 AM »

Good morning, all. I woke aroound 7:20, decided I cpould sleep in an hour and suddenly it was 9:40. So, I'm up, bathed, the bed is made, and I'm on my first cup of coffee. I have more work on THE ROSE OF ALGERIA today and whatever fresh hell comes along.

At some point today or tomorrow, I believe I will visit Mr Bruce Pomahac; I have a couple of gifts for him, including one of the copies of LIFE BEGINS AT 8:40, and a visit/movie/snack/meal with him is always a lot of fun.

More coffee!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 07:47:58 AM »

Matthew, chimineas are plentiful in Phoenix. It's illegal to use them in the winter , though (on bad air days). Which makes them kinda useless.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 07:50:25 AM »

One of my favorite places in Arizona is on fire. Down in the southeast corner. You have seen photos of the area.
http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12565747

My understanding is that it will burn until our monsoon begins -- about four to six weeks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 07:52:34 AM by Laura »
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 07:56:59 AM »

BUSTING arrived at my house yesterday, as did a lovely CD from DR ELMORE.  Thanks!

Edisaurus

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 08:05:21 AM »

Thanks for the tomato vibes, JRand. I planted black, rose and yellow (mortage lifter) tomatoes, and a red (gourmet) and yellow (chardonnay) pepper, so fingers crossed they won't be underwater before we have  chance to harvest!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up