Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NATURE TAKING ITS COURSE  (Read 82375 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:NATURE TAKING ITS COURSE
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2004, 02:32:01 PM »

I believe that half of the broadcast has been located in color, and it's my guess that a color film was made of the broadcast to do the west coast broadcast three hours later.

One would think that as wealthy and powerful as Rodgers and Hammerstein were, they would have had a color camera photographing the show for their own archives, whether it would have ever been seen again or not. It was my understanding the show was redone with Lesley Ann Warren in 1965 because Rodgers/CBS wanted a color version (this time on videotape) that could be rebroadcast multiple times.

I guess back in those days, these creators were content with the scripts and the score knowing it could alwaus be redone if there was any call for it neglecting the fact that the original performances would be prized and much in demand for future viewing.

If there is color footage of ANY of it available, I certainly would love to see it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jed

« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2004, 02:39:08 PM »

DR Jed - I hope that your late night tonight won't be/wasn't too late.  *And if all else fails, the first act is pretty complete on it's own anyway, so...

Precisely what the choreographer and I were saying to each other last night. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2004, 02:47:22 PM »

I will be picking up my Universal Monster Legacy DVD set at Best Buy tonight after I get off of work.

Even after my order cancellation on Amazon (to seperate it from the other DVDs I preordered, thus hopefully speeding up the delivery) it still wasn't going to ship until next week at the earliest!

Well, that was not going to work for me so I cancelled the reorder. Best Buy has it for just a couple of dollars more anyway, so what in tarnation was I thinking!

Besides it gives me an excuse to dig through the bargain DVD bin and go over to Old Navy and see what is on sale!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2004, 02:53:59 PM »

I am sure that a color copy of Cinderella will materialize soon.  For years, NBC publicly denied that any copy of Mary Martin's Peter Pan existed.   Although the original version from the early 50s was recorded on kinescope, they were always aware that they had copies of the 1960 production.  They just didn't want to hassle with the rather complicated royalties involved with Pan.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2004, 02:55:50 PM »

JRand53, did you buy that set of 50 sci-fi films on DVD yet? I got mine last Friday and it is pretty cool and the pic quality seems to be just fine on most everything...at least no worse or no better then on any other budget dvds. And so many of those films were movies I kinda sorta wanted to see, but didn’t want to buy separately and a few I already had (so will be trading a few DVDs in)...I am glad to have BRIDE OF THE GORILLA now and I must say that COLOSSUS AND THE AMAZON QUEEN was very interesting and very strange...a sword and sandal comedy with Rod Taylor and Ed Fury! What an unusual comedy team they made! And there was a whole village of feygaluhs! LOL! (I think I spelled that wrong)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 02:57:59 PM by MBarnum »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2004, 03:02:41 PM »

JRand53, did you buy that set of 50 sci-fi films on DVD yet? I got mine last Friday and it is pretty cool and the pic quality seems to be just fine on most everything...at least no worse or no better then on any other budget dvds. And so many of those films were movies I kinda sorta wanted to see, but didn’t want to buy separately and a few I already had (so will be trading a few DVDs in)...I am glad to have BRIDE OF THE GORILLA now and I must say that COLOSSUS AND THE AMAZON QUEEN was very interesting and very strange...a sword and sandal comedy with Rod Taylor and Ed Fury! What an unusual comedy team they made! And there was a whole village of feygaluhs! LOL! (I think I spelled that wrong)

Oh, I used to love Amazon Queen!  They always had the best hot fudge sundaes.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2004, 03:03:11 PM »

No, MBarnum, "that" is correctly spelled t-h-a-t.  Sorry, couldn't resist.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2004, 03:05:26 PM »

Isn't Amazon Queen where they have one Ice-cream scoop cut off?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2004, 03:15:08 PM »

Jane - Count me in for the Du-Par's breakfast - whenever it is. I want so much to meet you in person!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2004, 03:16:05 PM »

Here is a nice site about Julie's Cinderella.....all kinds of information and a few clips.   8)

Broadcast live in Color for the East Coast and shown three hours later via b/w kinescope on the West Coast.

http://ja.freewebsitehosting.com/
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2004, 03:20:48 PM »

Today should be declared a National Holiday. I bought something for my computer which installed with no problem! My Floppy Drive finally died - I'd been keeping it going by giving it a huge slam onto the desk whenever it refused to work. But today, no matter how hard I slammed, it was DEAD. Can't take the chance of not backing up my work on a floppy, no sir. So I bit the bullet (painful as that was) and bought a new one. It installed in 2 seconds and works perfectly! Zowie!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2004, 03:22:11 PM »

Yes I ordered mine MBARNUM but they have not arrived yet!  Looking forward to getting 50 movies all at once!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2004, 03:27:41 PM »

EEE!!  So excited about "Cinderella" and "Candide!"

(These days, of course, the product placement guys would have Julie and her prince, Jon Cypher, kanoodling over a couple of bottles of the stuff.  This would have been after losing the battle to have the pumpkin covered with Pepsi decals.)

Actually, these days, Pepsi would have young starlet Julie Andrews in a bra and g-string writhing among men in Pepsi shirts.  It's called the Britney Spears School of Advertising.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2004, 03:52:21 PM »

Jane - Count me in for the Du-Par's breakfast - whenever it is. I want so much to meet you in person!

Great!  I'm looking forward to meeting you as well. :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2004, 04:01:13 PM »

Echo and I had a little excitement this morning.  We were walking along the irrigation ditch, more like a little canal, when we spotted a squirrel on the other side of the embankment.  As the squirrel began scampering around I could just imagine it screaming “what shall I do, what shall I do” when suddenly is flew into the canal and swam across to the other side, immerging right where Echo was waiting.  Never having seen a squirrel leap into water before, I was rather shocked and didn’t know if it could swim.  Of course during the entire time I was yelling “Echo leave” which of course my good girl did.  Wish I had all this on video.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2004, 04:01:36 PM »

Mr. Pest Control Man didn't show in time, so I had to go off to an appointment - he's supposedly coming later this afternoon.  It's getting worse, not better.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2004, 04:28:07 PM »

EEE!!  So excited about "Cinderella" and "Candide!"Actually, these days, Pepsi would have young starlet Julie Andrews in a bra and g-string writhing among men in Pepsi shirts.  It's called the Britney Spears School of Advertising.  

Funnily enough, "these" days, Simon Cowell would be telling Julie Andrews that she's not "American Idol" material, that she has no charisma, and that her voice is better suited to Broadway.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2004, 04:29:32 PM »

Does anyone know where Jason Bratton is these days?

What he's doing?

Why he has forsaken his friends at HHW.com?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2004, 04:47:00 PM »

Yes, Jason simply disappeared without so much as a by-your-leave.  I never understand such things - when people just disappear after getting such nice warmth from the people on this site, such continual support.  But, what know I?  I know not.  

Robin

« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2004, 04:52:40 PM »

The new and improved version of The Bride of Frankenstein is much, much better than the old deeveedee.  It's not perfect, mind you, but a definite improvment.  

The boxed set just justified its' existence, AFAIC.  (That's "as far as I'm concerned in internet lingo, for you lurkers and newbies.)

The statuettes are nifty, too.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Danise

« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2004, 04:57:58 PM »

Evening all!

I'm sorry for my strange leaving last night.  I don't know what happened.  I swear the computer knew how tired I was and was blocking me from going into chat or using it anymore.  

I was having a very hard time typing anything.  It would type it but it took several seconds for it to show on the screen and I could NOT get past the java loading screen to get into chat.

I was still having a problem when I came home tonight so I unplugged the cable modem box and left it off for about 5 minutes then I rebooted the whole system.  It worked like a charm and I'm back to my old speed.

S. Woody White, Der Brucer and family.  I don't know what to say except a quote I read someplace and it stuck in my memory.  "Those we have held in our arms for a little while, we hold in our hearts forever."  It's never easy when the time comes to say goodbye.

JoseSPiano, so glad to see you back!  I didn't want you to lose the weight THAT way!  Hope your feeling much, much better soon!

BK, I'm so sorry to hear you still have your problem but I had to laugh about the flys because with my imagination, I saw the guy pull up in a truck and tell you, "Stand back while I release the trained flys!"  He then pulls out a small cage with 3 flys in it and let's them go.  "Find that dead, what have you, boys!  Tally Ho!"  and off they buzz with him in hot pursuit.  Can't you just see the commercial?   LOL!

I must tell you about the life changing, profound experience I had yesterday and the one my boss had today.

Mine was this: Did you know that the toaster does NOT heat up if it’s NOT plugged in?  What a concept!  I put my bagel in the toaster and waited and waited and waited for it to toast said bagel but it wouldn’t do a thing!  Then I discovered the toaster was unplugged!  I plugged it in and like magic I had a golden, toasted bagel in a few minutes.  

My bosses life changing, profound experience today.  The fax machine will not work if you use the wrong number!   She couldn’t figure out why her fax wasn’t going through until she called the place and found they had given her the phone number not the FAX number!  

Is that too, too?   ;)
 ;)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2004, 05:05:17 PM »

Mr. Pest Control Man is here again, and is going to knock some more holes in the wall.

Danise

« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2004, 05:06:12 PM »

Did you tell him to release the flys?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2004, 05:13:38 PM »

Update: Hammering is taking place.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2004, 05:19:53 PM »

This heat (it's hot and dry earthquake weather here, Dear Readers) is probably acclerating nature's course with whatever is behind the wall boards, for better or worse.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2004, 05:21:12 PM »

Wasn't there a horror movie of some sort about "He who walks behind the walls?"  Change that to "He who smells behind the walls."
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2004, 05:22:06 PM »

BK.

My friend Susan recently got rid of a dead rodent. (NO - not her husband.) The pest control person she hired was a veterinary school reject, but, she told Susan, she loved animals so much that she went into a related field. Hello? Unclear on the concept. (But she got the rodent.)

"Unclear on the concepts," btw, were collected by the late SF Chronicle writer Herb Caen. He had some some great examples, such as:

"For an Unclear On the Concept, Walt Giachini nominates U.S.
Olympic cyclist Marty Nothstein, who observed a moment of silence for the Atlanta bombing victoms with a Walkman plugged into his ears..."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2004, 05:22:16 PM »

Update: Hammering has stopped and there is silence.  I'm hoping for the best, but I'm afraid to go in there to find out.  He's either found nothing and is patching up the holes, or he's found something and is trying to dig it out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2004, 05:25:34 PM »

Update: Silence.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2004, 05:28:01 PM »

If the scene in your house at this moment were in a movie, what kind of score would you put on the soundtrack, Dear BK?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up