Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: I WANT  (Read 36066 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I WANT
« on: June 13, 2010, 01:11:16 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes didn't have an I Want song or an antagonist, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently singing an I Want song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: I WANT
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:12:43 AM »

And the word of the day is: FLAGITIOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:15:22 AM »

For those who may have been errant and truant yesterday (and you know who you are), here is the new Kritzerland release.  If you want to pre-order today, it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

KRITZERLAND IS PROUD TO PRESENT A VERY SPECIAL 2 CD RELEASE:

PROMISES, PROMISES
Original Cast Album
Music by Burt Bacharach  Lyrics by Hal David

On December 1, 1968, Promises, Promises, the musical version of Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond’s The Apartment, opened at the Shubert and took Broadway by storm.   The show was such a breath of fresh air, with its hilarious book by Neil Simon, and pop-sounding and brilliant score by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.  When that overture began, you knew the sound of Broadway had just changed forever – it was electric in the best way.  The show garnered rave reviews and ran 1,281 performances.  The show was nominated for seven Tony Awards, including Best Musical, and took home the prize for Jerry Orbach (Best Actor) and Marian Mercer (Best Supporting Actress).

One of the reasons the sound of the show seemed so innovative was that Bacharach brought in Broadway’s first recording-type mixing board.  Also his use of four pit singers doing back-up vocals was unique.  The show’s orchestrations were by the young up-and-coming Jonathan Tunick, who honored the Bacharach sound while adding a few wonderful touches of his own.  The cast recording won a Grammy, and the show produced several hit songs, including two for Dionne Warwick – “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again,” and “Promises, Promises” (she also recorded “Knowing When To Leave,” “Wanting Things” and “Whoever You Are”).  Bacharach himself covered five of the songs on his A&M album Make It Easy On Yourself.
This is the third CD release for the original cast recording of Promises, Promises.   The first was issued on Ryko, and then that release was reissued by Varese Sarabande.  Why a third release?  Simple: neither of those releases were the actual cast album as released on LP – the original mix.  Ryko remixed the album from the original eight-track edited session masters and that newly mixed album was also used for the Varese release.  So, this is actually the first appearance of the Grammy award-winning original album mix – newly remastered, of course.  The two-track album masters were in excellent shape.

But the raison d’etre of this release was to present a second CD with a newly mixed version (from those original and great-sounding eight-track edited session masters) that, with today’s technology, could finally fix most of the issues that plagued the original cast album.  As most know, cast albums were always recorded in one day (it’s still the same today, but there are a few shows that go to two and even three days), and the pressure was always on to get everything finished without going into overtime, and then to mix it quickly (frequently in a day or two) and have it in stores instantly.  Compromises sometimes had to be made.  And so, there have always been pitch issues with some of the vocals – they simply got it as good as they could get it and out it came.  We went in, and, without compromising anything but the actual pitchiness, corrected the faulty pitches throughout.  We were also able to take our time with the mix and you’ll hear things in the orchestration you’ve never heard, and even an occasional little vocal thing that was left off the original album (listen to “You’ll Think of Someone”).  So, it’s a whole new listening experience, and one we’re especially happy to have been able to do.  We’ve also put the tracks in their correct show order for the first time.   
It is the greatest of pleasures to be able to present this special edition two CD set of Promises, Promises – the original Grammy award-winning album, and our fresh and newly remixed version in show order, with the vocals sounding like they never have before.  With the brand new revival of the show on Broadway, you won’t want to miss this limited edition set of the original cast recording sounding like it never has before, and featuring the great performances of Jerry Orbach, Jill O’Hara, Marian Mercer, and the rest of the wonderful cast.
This release is limited to 1000 copies only.   For this special 2 CD set we’ve kept the price at our usual single disc cost of $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the first week of August – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 03:39:09 AM »

Morning all.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 03:39:17 AM »

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 03:40:08 AM »

No one is here at 6:36am on Sunday June 13, 2010

Ben

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 03:41:25 AM »

The exterminator is due this morning.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 03:41:40 AM »

After he leaves we will have breakfast.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 03:42:44 AM »

We watched Up last night and really enjoyed it. The whole opening sequence was lovely although there were two "kicks in the gut"

Ben

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 03:43:28 AM »

Will I be 75 years old and still getting up at 6:00AM???

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 04:52:42 AM »

Morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 04:53:51 AM »

We watched Up last night and really enjoyed it. The whole opening sequence was lovely although there were two "kicks in the gut"
I enjoyed that one quite a lot. Some great laughs in it. And not as maudlin as I would have thought.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 04:55:35 AM »

now, to catch up on yesterday's postings.
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 05:05:33 AM »

Re the adoption bus: Yes, there is a mobile adoption unit that travels around. We like to put the kittens on that so that they don't have to go back to the pound, where they would probably get sick.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 05:35:47 AM »

Is that like the Orphan Train?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 05:36:16 AM »

I hope I win the Tony tonight.  I was sure I would win last year, but my name wasn't called.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 05:36:41 AM »

I bought a new writing desk to replace my OLD desk - and all the work that will require.  Whew!

Laura

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 05:59:45 AM »

Will I be 75 years old and still getting up at 6:00AM???

No, you'll be 75 and getting up at 4 a.m.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 06:04:38 AM »

Sunday morning greetings from beautiful Normal, IL!  Mom and I had a smooth drive to Indianapolis, where we spent a couple of hours helping her late cousin's husband celebrate his 90th birthday.  After the festivities, we continued west and arrived at my niece's house shortly after dark.  Mom is sleeping in and Laura and I are whispering in the living room.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 06:13:03 AM »

I think Sweeney Todd will win for Best Musical
Never stop dreaming.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 06:13:16 AM »

41 years old and up at 6:00am on a Sunday.  Ah well, it's a beautiful day already.  Tonight is our annual Tony Awards Party, however this year since no one I know is remotely interested in the Tony's, our focus is our new backyard.  So, we are having a Tony Awards/Backyard Unveiling party.  I guess we'll watch the Tony's a some point.  For DR Laura, I'll try and remember to take some pictures.

Today at one of our Mass's, one of my paid singers is going to sing "I Don't Know How To Love Him" as the Gospel reading is that of Mary Magdeline washing the feet of Jesus with her tears and drying them with her hair, etc.  Last time this story came up, we did this song and someone actually made the connection to Jesus Christ Superstar which was great.  Others questioned doing a Broadway showtune during Mass.  I have my standard answer and that usually sends people away grumbling,etc...  I love my job!

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 06:21:21 AM »

So what will people be watching tonight? The Tonys? True Blood season 3 premiere?  Sports?

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 06:23:22 AM »

On Friday it is my niece's graduation from daycare. They have a 4 hour event planned. And they will be performing (singing and dancing) around 20 numbers.

Who knew that they put so much effort into a graduation for 4 and 5 year olds?

I think it will be quite interesting. Because my niece is a real ham. She loves performing and often makes up her own songs.  I bet she will be singing her heart out like crazy on Friday!

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 06:25:03 AM »

It's too bad that the West Coast is on tape delay for the Tonys. :(

Michael

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 06:25:09 AM »

It would have been nice to have the Promises Promises songs from the Lost In Bostons as Bonus Tracks (Tick Tock Goes The Clock and What Am I Doing Here?)
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 06:25:47 AM »

I will try to check out the posts. But my tv and computer are not near each other. Maybe at the commercials.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 06:28:26 AM »

I have given up on the Tony Awards. There is nothing I care about. I have a guest from out of town and will not be watching.

Enjoy the show to all those that are watching
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 06:34:44 AM »

It's odd in a way that I will not be watching the Tony Awards either.
I'm just not interested this year - except for the possible win for Angela Lansbury.
So, instead, I will be tuning into to the season premiere of TRUE BLOOD on HBO, after catching up with a couple of seasons of MAD MEN on ON Demand. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 06:38:05 AM »

For those who may have been errant and truant yesterday (and you know who you are), here is the new Kritzerland release.  If you want to pre-order today, it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

KRITZERLAND IS PROUD TO PRESENT A VERY SPECIAL 2 CD RELEASE:

PROMISES, PROMISES
Original Cast Album
Music by Burt Bacharach  Lyrics by Hal David

On December 1, 1968, Promises, Promises, the musical version of Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond’s The Apartment, opened at the Shubert and took Broadway by storm.   The show was such a breath of fresh air, with its hilarious book by Neil Simon, and pop-sounding and brilliant score by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.  When that overture began, you knew the sound of Broadway had just changed forever – it was electric in the best way.  The show garnered rave reviews and ran 1,281 performances.  The show was nominated for seven Tony Awards, including Best Musical, and took home the prize for Jerry Orbach (Best Actor) and Marian Mercer (Best Supporting Actress).

One of the reasons the sound of the show seemed so innovative was that Bacharach brought in Broadway’s first recording-type mixing board.  Also his use of four pit singers doing back-up vocals was unique.  The show’s orchestrations were by the young up-and-coming Jonathan Tunick, who honored the Bacharach sound while adding a few wonderful touches of his own.  The cast recording won a Grammy, and the show produced several hit songs, including two for Dionne Warwick – “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again,” and “Promises, Promises” (she also recorded “Knowing When To Leave,” “Wanting Things” and “Whoever You Are”).  Bacharach himself covered five of the songs on his A&M album Make It Easy On Yourself.
This is the third CD release for the original cast recording of Promises, Promises.   The first was issued on Ryko, and then that release was reissued by Varese Sarabande.  Why a third release?  Simple: neither of those releases were the actual cast album as released on LP – the original mix.  Ryko remixed the album from the original eight-track edited session masters and that newly mixed album was also used for the Varese release.  So, this is actually the first appearance of the Grammy award-winning original album mix – newly remastered, of course.  The two-track album masters were in excellent shape.

But the raison d’etre of this release was to present a second CD with a newly mixed version (from those original and great-sounding eight-track edited session masters) that, with today’s technology, could finally fix most of the issues that plagued the original cast album.  As most know, cast albums were always recorded in one day (it’s still the same today, but there are a few shows that go to two and even three days), and the pressure was always on to get everything finished without going into overtime, and then to mix it quickly (frequently in a day or two) and have it in stores instantly.  Compromises sometimes had to be made.  And so, there have always been pitch issues with some of the vocals – they simply got it as good as they could get it and out it came.  We went in, and, without compromising anything but the actual pitchiness, corrected the faulty pitches throughout.  We were also able to take our time with the mix and you’ll hear things in the orchestration you’ve never heard, and even an occasional little vocal thing that was left off the original album (listen to “You’ll Think of Someone”).  So, it’s a whole new listening experience, and one we’re especially happy to have been able to do.  We’ve also put the tracks in their correct show order for the first time.  
It is the greatest of pleasures to be able to present this special edition two CD set of Promises, Promises – the original Grammy award-winning album, and our fresh and newly remixed version in show order, with the vocals sounding like they never have before.  With the brand new revival of the show on Broadway, you won’t want to miss this limited edition set of the original cast recording sounding like it never has before, and featuring the great performances of Jerry Orbach, Jill O’Hara, Marian Mercer, and the rest of the wonderful cast.
This release is limited to 1000 copies only.   For this special 2 CD set we’ve kept the price at our usual single disc cost of $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the first week of August – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

ORDERED!
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 06:40:27 AM »

We watched COCO BEFORE CHANEL last night.

Enjoyed it.

Then, after looking the lady up on Google, I learned that, during WW2, she was a Nazi collaborator...BIG TIME.

>:(
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Up