Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TONYS  (Read 14363 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TONYS
« on: June 14, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were tony and in need of a helper, and now it is time for you to post until the tony cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE TONYS
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:10:49 AM »

And the word of the day is: VEXILLOLOGY!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:23:53 AM »

From the notes:

Having two cast members from Glee perform completely irrelevant numbers? Pander much?

Both Michele and Morrison are recognized Broadway musical stars who performed classic Broadway musical numbers - not "current" but hardly
"irrelevent" either. The show was probably better served by a classic reprise than by someone doing two more songs from the weaker contenders.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 12:28:09 AM »

Well, you and I have different interpretations of the word "star" - this was done specifically to pander - and it was, for me, irrelevant.  Since it's Mr. Sondheim's 80th year and there are two Sondheim shows on Broadway, I would have voted for Bernadette doing a little Sondheim medley.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:30:18 AM »

TOD

Time Heals Everthing and I Won't Send Roses from Mack and Mabel

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »

Since it's Mr. Sondheim's 80th year and there are two Sondheim shows on Broadway, I would have voted for Bernadette doing a little Sondheim medley.

Good point. Strange to have Peters, Lansbury, and Cook all on a Broadway stage and not a note to be heard from any of them,

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 12:41:49 AM »

My thought for the day:

(from WIRED MAGAZINE)

...Karl Popper, the great philosopher of science, once divided the world into two categories: clocks and clouds. Clocks are neat, orderly systems that can be solved through reduction; clouds are an epistemic mess, “highly irregular, disorderly, and more or less unpredictable.”

The mistake of modern science is to pretend that everything is a clock, which is why we get seduced again and again by the false promises of brain scanners and gene sequencers. We want to believe we will understand nature if we find the exact right tool to cut its joints.

But that approach is doomed to failure. We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:43:22 AM »

Since it's Mr. Sondheim's 80th year and there are two Sondheim shows on Broadway, I would have voted for Bernadette doing a little Sondheim medley.

Good point. Strange to have Peters, Lansbury, and Cook all on a Broadway stage and not a note to be heard from any of them,

der Brucer

That's what you get when you pander to people who don't actually go to the theater. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 03:14:49 AM »

Well, I'm glad I didn't watch. Have little desire to catch up with whatever of the evening is now on YouTube.

But I agree that when you have women like Cook, Lansbury, Peters, etc. on hand and you have Sondheim's 80th, then why not put them to use? Get Billie Joe and Green Day to do a Sondheim song, too. Or any other show tune to build a bridge. Might have been fun.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 03:18:52 AM »

TOD: Love the scores for "The Grand Tour" and "Mack and Mabel." Would have to pick "Marianne," "I Don't Want to Know," "That's How Young I Feel," "Song on the Sand" and "One Extraordinary Thing" as favorites among favorites.

I laugh every time I see the British cast recording where the show on the spine is listed as "Mack and Mable." Guess the editor was off that day.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 03:19:07 AM »

Well, time to get ready for work.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:29:42 AM »

Morning all.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 04:29:53 AM »

That is all.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »

re: the Tonys last night.

I actually thought that Sean Hayes did a lot better than I was expecting. He was funny. I liked when he came out dressed as Annie!

Btw, does American Idiot have flashing lights all throughout the actual show? I would never have done that on tv. A lot of people are bothered by those flashing lights. I know i couldn't look at the tv. It really bothers my eyes!

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 05:18:43 AM »

More Tonys.

I really liked how they showcased the plays (by having actors from the shows talk about them). My only complaint is that they didn't name every actor on stage. There were some i didn't know and a few i knew but couldn't remember their names.

I loved that bebe/nathan bit at the end. Very funny.

Re: The A little night music song choice. I get that "Send in the clowns" is the most popular song in the show. And i get that they wanted to feature Catherine zeta jones since she was nominated. But to me that is not what i would choose to make non-Sondheim people want to see the show. You need a big number or at least a number featuring a group of people to get people interested.

I"m not sure if i'd want to see Memphis. But they had it right with choosing a song to sing. That kind of big group number is exactly what you should do on the Tonys.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 05:20:45 AM »

Last Tony post.

I liked how they had the winning musical come on at the end.

I loved the choregraphy section for Promises Promises.

re: the Glee section. I think it was great to tie that show into the Tonys. I think it was great to have Matthew and Lea sing on the Tonys. I am not sure about what they had them do. I thought the idea for Lea was more appropriate than what they had matthew do. But i would have rather see them do something more tied into broadway this year. Even if they sang some songs from shows this year.

But i agree that a sondheim tribute would have been so amazing to see.

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 05:28:54 AM »

BK, re: the situation with the helper.

I"m sure you'll get your invoices back. It is weird that she contacts you and then doesn't.

But I think you're letting it get to you too much. Don't get crazy about it. I'm sure you'll get your invoices back.  I wouldn't threaten her or constantly call her. You've decided to part ways with her. So you know that is done. I would try to act calmly.  Just let her know you need the invoices right away.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 05:29:11 AM »

Didn't hate the show - didn't love the show - but was glad that it really gave me an impression of what shows are now on Broadway - even though it didn't compel me to see many of them.

I am intrigued by ENRON, but don't know much about it.  I don't know about RED, but it's a new play with NO vibrator....so there.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 05:29:50 AM »

TOD:

I like the big title numbers.....Hello, Dolly! and Mame.....and My Best Girl and I Am What I Am.......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 05:38:28 AM »

TOD:  In adition to the other songs named, I do love "Loving You"  from the moovie :Mame," "I'll Be Here Tomorrow," and "I Belong Here."
I like boat races.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 05:48:55 AM »

TOD:

"I Won't Send Roses"
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 05:56:31 AM »

Good morning, all! Seeing the last 45 minutes of EMMA last night has given me the desire to see the whole thing again, so I think I'll drag it out and begin watching it tonight.

As to the Tonys, I was so hoping that FINIAN'S RAINBOW would grab something, but we've been out of the race for too long. I can still remember my disappointment when the late great Lynn Thigpen lost best actress for TINTYPES  to Lauren Bacall, whose performance in WOMAN OF THE YEAR was dreadful, about as poor as Bernadette Peters in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN. So one thing is clear: Tony voters are starstruck, whether the actor is any good or not. Our winning leading lady has missed shows right and left the past several weeks.

So, today, a walk to the pharmacy and City Center to see Joshie, and not much more/

TOD:
Marianne
I Don't Want to Know
I Won't Send Roses
Time Heals Everything
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 05:56:57 AM »

Suggestions re: your helper/invoice problem:

1. Do you have a mutual friend who can intercede on your behalf?
2. Even though it's annoying, can you recreate the invoices from your computer or PayPal?
3. Offer her a few bucks to return them (Not my favorite idea.)
4. Have a lawyer send her a legal letter that says if she doesn't return them you'll file theft charges.
5. As a last resort, there's always Blackie and Louie and their baseball bat. (My favorite idea.   ::) )

BTW: I would not keep going to the theater or, if you know her address, her home.  If she's as flaky as you say, you don't want to get accused of stalking.
You can dream…or you can do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 06:37:49 AM »

TOD: I Won't Send Roses

Like I said last night, I almost turned the show off after the excrable opening number, but I hung with it and didn't find it all totally horrible.  Sean wasn't bad...though I wondered what most of Middle America made of the joke kiss between Sean/Kristen in response to the the Newsweek article.  What am I saying?  Middle America doesn't watch the Tonys!  And George and Der Brucer, don't make me put emoticons on my "I didn't believe it" crack.  I knew what it was all about....I thought all the straight plays actually looked pretty interesting.  All the musicals looked like Vegas cast-offs or rock concerts.  If I want to know about AMERICAN IDIOT, I'll listen to the concept album where I can turn the decibel level way down or off, but I won't have to go to the theatre and be musically assaulted. 

Some of the women were horribly anorexic.  I hate winners who go up unprepared and blather.  I hated the pandering with movie personalities and celebrities.  I hate when half the audience empties out to come onstage, because everyone of them had something minimal to do with a show that's just won.  You want to tell them, most of you are not being seen on TV, so stop being so childish.  The Tony's never going to sit on your mantle, just take your dividend cheque.

Who votes for the winners?  Is there some cabal of money-grubbing producers that says vote for the movie stars so they'll keep coming back to Broadway and give us marquee value?

If anything the show amply displayed to me that Broadway is no longer where it's at...the most interesting theatre is being done in the regional theatres.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:40:37 AM by Charles Pogue »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 06:48:04 AM »

And the word of the day is: VEXILLOLOGY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  YOU'RE A GRAND OLD FLAG

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 06:50:15 AM »

RE:  The Tonys...

The winner of the 2010 Tonys was, IMHO, Sean Hayes.  If it weren't for him, just about the entire broadcast would have been unbearable.

Unlike most of you, I liked the AMERICAN IDIOT numbers (though I have seen the title song performed better elsewhere.)  But Green Day should not have been there--they only managed to upstage everything else in the opening number.

I thought Kristen Chenoweth's bit was funny and cute.  Same with Bebe Neuwirth/Nathan Lane later in the show (I wish NL had pushed the Passover joke a little more to make it obvious that it was a Bob Hope reference.)

As for MEMPHIS, for a show that's suppose to be about 50's black music, it's score sounds an awful lot like HAIRSPRAY...

The less said about Matthew Morrison's out-of-breath number and Lea Michael's FUNNY GIRL audition, the better...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 06:56:49 AM »

I'm up, I've announced, and I'm tired.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 06:58:33 AM »

I have asked repeatedly for the invoices to be returned.  I've asked nicely.  I'm trying to be calm but calm doesn't work for me after this many attempts.  I haven't yelled at her - the only thing I've said in my messages is that I don't understand, that this kind of behavior in lieu of the fact of how good I've been to her is weird to me, and that I need the invoices.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 07:20:13 AM »

I have asked repeatedly for the invoices to be returned.  I've asked nicely.  I'm trying to be calm but calm doesn't work for me after this many attempts.  I haven't yelled at her - the only thing I've said in my messages is that I don't understand, that this kind of behavior in lieu of the fact of how good I've been to her is weird to me, and that I need the invoices.

Call Judge Judy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 07:32:19 AM »

Maybe I will.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up