Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TONYS  (Read 14381 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE TONYS
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »

I wonder if MattH watched the Tonys. I do miss his comments on various and sundried TV shows/specials, and will particularly feel that way come the new season.

I was thinking about him today and wondering if he has any summer shows to suggest.

Cillaliz

« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2010, 04:40:38 PM »

I was up until 3:00 am reading and finishing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. There just wasn't a stopping point where I could easily put the book down and go to sleep.  What a good book.  Glad I bough the trilogy so I can start the next one right away.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Book three begins where book two ends.  It was very difficult to wait to read book three.
I have to read book 2 before I get to book 3, LOL

Cillaliz

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »

Well, I don't have my own flag, but as I walked out of the courthouse after a very contentious divorce with my ex fighting over nothing , I looked around and saw all the flags flying for Flag Day and it made me smile and feel free.   I remember that feeling every year on Flag Day.

Thanks, and sorry it's a sad day for you
I like the idea it is a day of joyous freedom for you.  Today was my sister's birthday.  I am now free from her tyranny, but it is very sad not joyous.

Jane

« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »

My point is, you are darn lucky not to have to wait to read book three after completing book two.  Between one & two isn't a big deal ;)

Jane

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2010, 04:42:53 PM »

Thanks Cilla.  I wish it were sad because she is gone not because I am free.

Cillaliz

« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2010, 04:43:06 PM »

Yes, I hate having to wait to get to the next book,. That's why I bought all three at once.  Now I'm really glad I did

Cillaliz

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2010, 04:45:06 PM »

The funny thing last night was I would think...ok, when I finish this chapter I'll go to sleep.  Then when I finished the chapter I'd think...well I can't leave now, one more chapter.   To me it's a good book that does that to me.  I should say for those who are considering the trilogy, there are parts that are violent and brutal...the original Swedish title of the first book translates to "Men who Hate Women"

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »

Well, I just found out that our library board met this morning to decide on who will be the new executive director.  Hopefully, we'll find out SOON! 

(And hopefully, they'll make the right decision...and the right candidate will actually accept the offer!) ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »

TOD: Love the scores for "The Grand Tour" and "Mack and Mabel." Would have to pick "Marianne," "I Don't Want to Know," "That's How Young I Feel," "Song on the Sand" and "One Extraordinary Thing" as favorites among favorites.

I laugh every time I see the British cast recording where the show on the spine is listed as "Mack and Mable." Guess the editor was off that day.

There's a Sondheim recording (I forget which) where they spell his first name as "Steven" on the spine.  I remember reading that there was a voluntary recall, and they did changed it for later copies, but there are quite a few incorrect ones that are still out there.

It is the Off-Broadway CD of "Saturday Night" - I have one... I'll sell it to you for $250   LOL

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2010, 05:01:19 PM »

I just stopped by to say......

HELLO

and

GOOD BYE
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2010, 05:08:55 PM »

New Director VIBES for DR George!!!

Ben

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »

TOD: Love the scores for "The Grand Tour" and "Mack and Mabel." Would have to pick "Marianne," "I Don't Want to Know," "That's How Young I Feel," "Song on the Sand" and "One Extraordinary Thing" as favorites among favorites.

I laugh every time I see the British cast recording where the show on the spine is listed as "Mack and Mable." Guess the editor was off that day.

There's a Sondheim recording (I forget which) where they spell his first name as "Steven" on the spine.  I remember reading that there was a voluntary recall, and they did changed it for later copies, but there are quite a few incorrect ones that are still out there.

It is the Off-Broadway CD of "Saturday Night" - I have one... I'll sell it to you for $250   LOL

I have a copy as well. It says Stephen on the back but Steven on the spine.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »

I was wrong (first time ever  ;D  ) and my DVR did record The Tonys last night. When I set it, it said there was not enough room on the DVR, but I guess I managed to clear enough stuff off that the machine was able to record the show.

So anyway, I watched it (fast forwarding through much) this morning before going to work (didn't hvae to go in until 1pm).

1) I thought Sean Hayes did a very nice job of hosting.

2) I think I would enjoy seeing FENCES, PROMISES PROMISES, and MEMPHIS.

3) Like Ron Pulliam, I don't see why it should matter if the star of a show was/is a movie actor. Hasn't it always been that way on Broadway?

4) Pandering: If the Tonys don't get seen by the viewing public, then they won't get shown. If having someone or something that will bring in viewers keeps the show on the air each year...well I would guess anyone would do the same thing. They ain't just doing this for their health. Plus, they might get people interested in seeing life theater, who otherwise never would. I think that is a wonderful thing!

5) I skipped most of the speeches.

6) I was amazed at how good B. P. looked (don't hate me JRand!)

7) Got a kick out of the Football player who was a musical fan.

8) As usual I enjoyed the awards show. I guess I am easily entertained.

This is the same old argument they always use - let's pander because it will bring in the audience - only it doesn't.  It never brings in the audience they want and/or need.  So, why pander?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »

This, dear readers, has been a day and a half.  As you know, I was up at six, announced, printed out a bunch of orders, and went back to bed around seven-thirty.  When I got up at ten-thirty I could not get on the Internet, I could not print orders, I could not do anything.  I called Time Warner - no problem on their end, and they had me do all the stuff they always have you do - none of which helped.  I then called Apple and spent the next two and a half hours on the phone, doing every sort of troubleshooting, all to no avail.  They kicked me up to a senior technician, who had me do scads of other things, all to no avail.  He finally asked if he could call back in twenty minutes so he could go to the top echelon.  He did, and we did more things - we then tried one final thing - he had me change the DNS ip address (don't ask me what any of it means) - we did, and voila, everything worked.  He put me on an open (or public) DNS ip.  He thinks that I either have to get a new modem or Time Warner was behaving weirdly and my modem was not feeding the DNS address to the wireless router properly.  It certainly had to be that because once we changed it I was on.  By that time it was three in the afternoon and I spent the next ninety minutes printing out hundreds of orders, and answering e-mails.  It was madness personified, but at least it's working now.  I made the call that I needed to make but the person was not there, so I left a message and we'll have that call tomorrow, I guess.  Early in the morning I wrote the helper - one line, "Please let me know what time you can drop off the invoices - you can leave them on the porch - thanks, and much appreciated.  I think you can guess that I never heard back. 

I wrote another e-mail around one - this time I laid out for her in very nice terms what I think is going on - i.e. the only thing I can think of that makes sense.  This girl has some pretty severe emotional problems stemming from events in her childhood and those problems manifest themselves in certain ways.  I've tried to help her, in fact, understand how to deal with them, and some of the advice I gave her, she told me, actually worked.  I think she got scared - I think she thought somehow I would yell at her or do some kind of scene or whatever craziness was going on in her head.  So, I told her I was not the boogeyman, that I've only ever been nice and supportive and there for her, and that all I cared about at this point was getting the invoices back.  I laid out several scenarios (the tone was always light) - drop them off when I'm not here, mail them back, or I'd have a mutual friend contact her and she could give them to that person.

And that's what I did - I called Barry Pearl and he called her and left a very nice message offering to be the intermediary.  Needless to say, I never heard back (who knows if she's even reading my e-mails), but hopefully she'll call Barry back and we can wrap this up - or she can mail them.  I just want it done, and then I want no contact with her ever again. 

I talked to two potential replacements, one of whom would be very short term - I'd prefer someone who can be around for awhile, but the short term person will work if I can't find anyone for the next couple of weeks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2010, 05:40:43 PM »

I finally had to get something to eat, which I did, and now I am back with more orders to print.

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »

My niece and I took Gram shopping today and she took us out to lunch.  When we got home, Laura and I spent a couple of hours playing with the Wii and laughed until we cried.  Now we're going to have some munchies for dinner.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »

New Director VIBES for DR George!!!

Thanks, Jane!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »

I am DONE with this fersluganah day.  Although, only part of it was fershluganah - the Promises orders have been great so far.  I'm hoping they'll keep on coming.  The shows are much tougher because I don't have any of my big online dealers, who normally take over two-thirds of the run before I even get one Kritzerland order.  Here, I actually have to sell mostly on Kritzerland.  I've sold about two hundred to dealers and we've had close to 400 orders today, which, for us, is extraordinary - so I'm very pleased so far and it hasn't even been one day yet.  My one show dealer online is such an dope sometimes (I'm sure you know who he is) - he orders so light, and then he comes waltzing back in a panic needing a huge amount and one of these days I'm just gonna tell him "tough - sold out" and maybe then he'll learn a lesson.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2010, 06:36:09 PM »

And best of all we had a lot of multiple orders, and sold several of the new book, too :)

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »

I was up until 3:00 am reading and finishing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. There just wasn't a stopping point where I could easily put the book down and go to sleep.  What a good book.  Glad I bough the trilogy so I can start the next one right away.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Book three begins where book two ends.  It was very difficult to wait to read book three.

The books are long. And even though they are very interesting i find i don't have a problem putting them down at pretty much any point.

DR Jane i am only on around page 300 of book 3. So i guess i won't be finishing tomorrow since i have over 250 pages to go. But it sure is getting good. And i see what you mean about all the names. There are a lot. Although i find it easier to do the Swedish names than the Swedish places. None of those make any sense to me.

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »

Well, I don't have my own flag, but as I walked out of the courthouse after a very contentious divorce with my ex fighting over nothing , I looked around and saw all the flags flying for Flag Day and it made me smile and feel free.   I remember that feeling every year on Flag Day.

I like the idea it is a day of joyous freedom for you.  Today was my sister's birthday.  I am now free from her tyranny, but it is very sad not joyous.

Hope the day was not too hard for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »

The funny thing last night was I would think...ok, when I finish this chapter I'll go to sleep.  Then when I finished the chapter I'd think...well I can't leave now, one more chapter.   To me it's a good book that does that to me.  I should say for those who are considering the trilogy, there are parts that are violent and brutal...the original Swedish title of the first book translates to "Men who Hate Women"

It's violent. But not like the movies. The movies are 100X more violent than the books (which was my biggest problem with the movies).

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »

BK that could make sense re: the helper. If she had someone in her past who was abusive and she was afraid you were going to yell at her. I think that was great to have an intermediary. Good idea.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »

Now I get the comments about the violence-lol

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »

Good morning, all! Seeing the last 45 minutes of EMMA last night has given me the desire to see the whole thing again, so I think I'll drag it out and begin watching it tonight.

As to the Tonys, I was so hoping that FINIAN'S RAINBOW would grab something, but we've been out of the race for too long. I can still remember my disappointment when the late great Lynn Thigpen lost best actress for TINTYPES  to Lauren Bacall, whose performance in WOMAN OF THE YEAR was dreadful, about as poor as Bernadette Peters in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN. So one thing is clear: Tony voters are starstruck, whether the actor is any good or not. Our winning leading lady has missed shows right and left the past several weeks.

So, today, a walk to the pharmacy and City Center to see Joshie, and not much more/

TOD:
Marianne
I Don't Want to Know
I Won't Send Roses
Time Heals Everything

Lynne Thigpen was great in just about everything she did, even "Carmen Sandiego." I wish she were still here.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2010, 07:07:06 PM »

It is the Off-Broadway CD of "Saturday Night" - I have one... I'll sell it to you for $250   LOL

I have a copy as well. It says Stephen on the back but Steven on the spine.
My version is accurate. Darn. Or, yeah?!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »

For all you "Dragon Tattoo" fans, I noticed on my library's website that the Swedish movie is due soon on DVD. They've already got it on order, so look for it on Netflix soon.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »

I'm on page six of TIMES ARROW and don't think I want to read anymore.  I wish I could remember who suggested this book to get a better feel for it.

John G.

« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »

Amazon says July 6 is the release date.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2010, 07:11:51 PM »

Thanks JohnG.  It will be released on NetFlix July 6th and I have placed it at the top of my queue.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up