Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CARAMELS  (Read 17835 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: CARAMELS
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »

DR Jane - After having those 2 trees taken out of our backyard, I sympathize with you.  It's stressful having major work done around your house, with the confusion and inconvenience it creates.

Keith is the one dealing with the stress & working outside.  Right off there was a problem.  They were supposed to show up with a much larger shovel only the tractor was broken.  Chances are what was to be a one day removal job will take two days. They have hardly made a dent.  I looked outside a while ago and there were 5 men & one little dog.  I think the dog belonged to the guy with the dump truck.  The dog &  truck are gone and there is a new, empty truck out there.

Jane

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2010, 09:35:51 AM »

I'm feeling very crabby this morning.  I had a night of tossing and turning and 6:00 am came way too soon.  I couldn't stop sweating after my shower.  The escalators at both PATCO Speed-Line train stations were not working.  The train to Conshohocken was filled with inane cell phone chatter.  And I'm stuck trying to muddle through SCHULZ AND PEANUTS which is not only a very heavy book (forget about this one, DR Jane!), but is also a depressing account about about a very disturbed man.  Charles Schulz was one of my boyhood heroes and this is very difficult reading for me...

On the other hand, I'm healthy, I have a job and my house is intact, so what do I really have to complain about?...

Thanks for the warning.  How sad, I had no idea.  Why don't you stop reading?

Are you feeling better?  VIBES!

Thanks, DR Jane.  Feeling better in the cool coolness of my cubicle and with my coffee...

I've been trying to break my habit of leaving books unfinished so I don't want to give up on this one.  I was considering buying the Kindle version so that it would at least be "lighter" reading, but I'm afraid that it would not include the many illustrations and photos throughout the book.

I'm glad you feel better.  Funny, I'm trying to break my habit of the need to finish every book I begin.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2010, 09:37:39 AM »

DR ArnoldMBrockman I look forward to your review of THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE.  I hope the reviews you have read are wrong.  I'm still waiting to see the first movie.

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2010, 09:45:13 AM »

DR Dan(the Man) and other readers - Nancy Pearl, the Seattle librarian who invented the one city/one book program concept has a great rule of thumb about finishing books.  She says life is too short to slog through books you're not enjoying and there are too many good books to spend time reading ones you don't like.  Her advice is to give a book 50 pages and, if it hasn't grabbed you, move on.  What I really like is that she says if you're over 50 years old, subtract your age from 100 and read that many pages before giving up on a book.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »

I've been asked to direct a big benefit at Town Hall in October - sort of based on Lost in Boston - you know, cut songs - and I've said yes.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »

Congratulations, BK!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »

I've been asked to direct a big benefit at Town Hall in October - sort of based on Lost in Boston - you know, cut songs - and I've said yes.

:) 

Jane

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »

Bruce I'm sorry to say I have not been able to begin your book.  I have been reading books I need to return.  I should be free from those obligations in a couple of days.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »

Great News--Will A Recording of The Event Take Place?

BK- Did Anyone say Anything To Offend DR Jose?

Jane

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2010, 09:55:02 AM »

Speaking of books I had to read first, DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY was one of them.  I asked DS Bryan who now lives in Chicago, if he had read the book.  Good timing as he just began it.  He reminded me that Daniel Burnham designed the historical building in Portland that Bryan lived in.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »

DR Dan(the Man) and other readers - Nancy Pearl, the Seattle librarian who invented the one city/one book program concept has a great rule of thumb about finishing books.  She says life is too short to slog through books you're not enjoying and there are too many good books to spend time reading ones you don't like.  Her advice is to give a book 50 pages and, if it hasn't grabbed you, move on.  What I really like is that she says if you're over 50 years old, subtract your age from 100 and read that many pages before giving up on a book.

I think that is very good advice, DR Ginny.

I just want to clarify, though--I think this Schulz book I'm reading is very well-written and , while I'm not enjoying learning what he was really like, I'm still interested in the hows and whys and in his creative journey in general.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »

I think DR Jose is just taking a bit of a break.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2010, 10:09:46 AM »

I just want to clarify, though--I think this Schulz book I'm reading is very well-written and , while I'm not enjoying learning what he was really like, I'm still interested in the hows and whys and in his creative journey in general.

Then it is worth reading :)

Jane

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2010, 10:10:13 AM »

I see some progress outside.  Keith said the little dog is still out there & is very sweet.

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2010, 10:23:21 AM »

To All You Fans of the Series of books that started out with THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO-

Pleae be advised that the second film in that series will be coming to Movie Theatres the beginning of July- THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE

The First film I thought was excellent and Got Excellent Reviews. The Second Film did not receive Excellent Reviews(IMDB).

However, I am Looking forward to seeing The Second Film.

Both films were already released here. It is very odd to me that the first one would get excellent reviews but the second one wouldn't. They are extremely similar. They have the same actors, follow the stories in the same ways, have similar amounts of violence.  I would think either you would like them both or hate them both.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2010, 10:40:58 AM »

Great News--Will A Recording of The Event Take Place?

BK- Did Anyone say Anything To Offend DR Jose?

I can't imagine that scenario, but then again I'm always shocked at what offends people.  And I'm bored to tears by it.  Offended?  Speak up, don't run away like a twit (not talking about Jose here).  Tone is always hard to ascertain on message boards, so occasionally feathers get ruffled - so what, get over it like an adult.  That's what I'M talkin' about. 

So, I have no idea what Jose's deal is - he'll be back or he won't.  I will say that not responding to people's e-mails is a little not nice.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »

I'm glad you weren't talking about DR Jose because that would not be like him.   I suspect not being nice has nothing to do with not responding to emails.  Knowing Jose, aka Mr. Nice Guy always helping people, there is simply other stuff going on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »

I'm sure he's off having a good time, and that's good.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »

I'm back and the dog above me has been barking nonstop since I returned.

Fed Ex arrived rather early, I took care of a problem concerning missing lyrics for Cinderella's prince, and I had a phone call from Joshie, who's finishing up the new scores and parts for MTI for ANYONE CAN WHISTLE.  He had a questions about the Exit Music and wanted my advice, so I went up to City Center to make a visit and spend an hour with my adopted son. We resolved the question to our satisfaction and I visited for about an hour, gossiping, talking about work, and enjoying our company. After that, he walked downtown to meet his friend Kirk for lunch and I caught the No. 7 bus home.

Now I'm enjoying the AC and wishing evil things on the cute dog who lives over me.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2010, 11:21:13 AM »

We're addressing away.  If this new helper has his way, this may be the last time we hand address anything.

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »

Jane, I do have odo-ban. That's what I initially used on the carpet.  I've decided to call a professional cleaner. It's not that big a room and hopefully they can get it out.  In the meantime, I closed the door to the room....Callie looked embarassed so I think i found the culprit

I've never had much success with a professional cleaner for major jobs.  I suggest interviewing a few.  Honestly, I have never found anything that really worked well.  When we replaced our bedroom carpet we had a sealer put on the floor to block the odors & then got a special pet mat.  If you are lucky it wasn't enough to soak into the carpet mat & the cleaning will remove the odors.

I went to the pet store this noon and got a "Stink finder" aka black light.  I also got some Miracle Pet or something like that formulated for cat urine.   So, before hiring a professional, I'm going to try one more time.  Of course it has to be dark for the stink finder to work so I would pick the longest day of the year to buy it, lol

Jane

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 11:34:40 AM »

Smart helper ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2010, 11:35:14 AM »

AND I discovered Boo is the culprit.  At least when I went home this noon, I checked the basement.  Hall is ok when the door is shut.  So I went in "the room" and shut the door, she was scratching like mad to get in.  Not sure what's up with her, but at least I know she's the most likely candidate.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »

I found out why the driveway began to progress, they switched out the shovel.  I expect they will finish in one day as originally planned.  It should take three days to put the new driveway in.  I don't know how long in total before we can use it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »

DR ArnoldMBrockman I look forward to your review of THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE.  I hope the reviews you have read are wrong.  I'm still waiting to see the first movie.

Ditto

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2010, 11:38:12 AM »

We're addressing away.  If this new helper has his way, this may be the last time we hand address anything.

OK, so now we know Jose is your new helper.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2010, 11:38:29 AM »

Jane, I do have odo-ban. That's what I initially used on the carpet.  I've decided to call a professional cleaner. It's not that big a room and hopefully they can get it out.  In the meantime, I closed the door to the room....Callie looked embarassed so I think i found the culprit

I've never had much success with a professional cleaner for major jobs.  I suggest interviewing a few.  Honestly, I have never found anything that really worked well.  When we replaced our bedroom carpet we had a sealer put on the floor to block the odors & then got a special pet mat.  If you are lucky it wasn't enough to soak into the carpet mat & the cleaning will remove the odors.

I went to the pet store this noon and got a "Stink finder" aka black light.  I also got some Miracle Pet or something like that formulated for cat urine.   So, before hiring a professional, I'm going to try one more time.  Of course it has to be dark for the stink finder to work so I would pick the longest day of the year to buy it, lol

Do you mean Nature's Miracle, the same stuff everyone likes except me ;D  Is it an enzyme cleaner?

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »

Then it is worth reading :)

I thought so.  I understand that learning what his life was really like probably isn't pleasant. But I thought it was a very interesting book and very well written

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »

I went to the pet store this noon and got a "Stink finder" aka black light.  I also got some Miracle Pet or something like that formulated for cat urine.   So, before hiring a professional, I'm going to try one more time.  Of course it has to be dark for the stink finder to work so I would pick the longest day of the year to buy it, lol

Do you mean Nature's Miracle, the same stuff everyone likes except me ;D  Is it an enzyme cleaner?

Yeah, I think that's it.  I've actually decided to use the Odo-ban one more time before opening the Nature's Miracle.  Now that I have the stink finder, I may be able to take care of it.  Yes it's an exzyme cleaner.  If I need to use it I'll try it next.  This is a pain in the butt.  That room may now be off limits to felines.

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »

Oh, before I go back to work
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up