Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: KRITZERLAND AT THE GARDENIA  (Read 22715 times)

Cillaliz

Re: KRITZERLAND AT THE GARDENIA
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2010, 07:55:01 AM »

HWHC was right next to me on the way to work....I passed him and he turned two blocks sooner than he needed to....

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »

Most esteemed bk - will you be singing at the sing-along "Grease"?   If so, what parts will you really want to sing?

Cillaliz

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »

Me thinks I did the right thing....ok. off to read discovery files at the US Atty's office.

Cillaliz

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2010, 07:56:56 AM »

A Portable Vice -  where can I get one of those ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »

I too enjoy the alternate takes of The Man That Got Away......which I do not think is grammatically correct....it should be The Man Who Got Away....

That's a sure way to lose a man!
A sure, sure, sure, sure way to lose a man!
A splendid way to lose a man,
Just throw your knowledge in his face,
He'll never try for second base.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2010, 07:59:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: CHATELAINE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  MISS CHATELAINE

(What Else- Thank You KD LANG)

I love that song!  It could have been in a musical.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2010, 08:54:12 AM »

BK,

I tend to agree with you on A STAR IS BORN.

I wish that they'd either released the original theatrical version on a separate disc OR included the restored music/production stills material as an extra.

It's rather disconcerting the way it is now.

I'd rather be "momentarily" disconcerted for a short sequence than miss out on all the glorious material that was missing from that old hack-job release we were treated to on TV all those years ago.

But, maybe that's just me.

Don't forget that a lot of the "performances" of Mason and Garland was also missing.  The entire sequence in the recording studio in which their private conversation was recorded, and then played back, was out of the film, as was most of "Lose That Long Face".

Those sequences alone are astonishing tours-de-force.

DR Dan (The Man):  I agree that it's disconcerting to see those stills with the soundtrack overlay, but what they bring to the story, I think, made their inclusion essential.  This sequence showed what happened the next day after Norman convinced Esther to quite the band...and it showed what efforts Norman went to in getting the studio to find her.  The studio indifference was a good insight into Norman's decline in importance to the studio, as well.  Norman's own efforts to find Esther were wonderful to finally "hear"...and that shot of them stopping so that she could go barf gave us an establishing shot of time and place...and a look at what that part of Los Angeles looked like in those days.  Love the neon on the buildings lining the road....and the oil drilling!

I also love, love, love that shot of an LA street at Christmas time.   

The BD makes it more startlingly clear than ever before what Cukor and Ray Leavitt were after in terms of filling the CinemaScope screen...wonderful touches of lighted figures on one side...and then something softly lit on the other side of the room...a window...or a curtain blowing in the breeze.   It's a film of amazing creativity in approaching the "new widescreen process" that everyone was experimenting with.

One thing that has always bothered me....all the red in the Swanee number.  Everything in varying degrees of deep red/rust. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:32:03 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2010, 09:25:49 AM »

It was the bus ride from hell on the way back; I have never seen so many old coots with walkers on one bus, and I don't nderstand why the walkwrs are incapable of folding up to keep the bus aisle free. One onld lady with a wheelchair was pushing it, laden down as it was with many packages and she didn't need it except to carry her packages. And everyone of them smelled. Quite badly.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »

Now, I'm off to the post office.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »

BK,

I wish that they'd either released the original theatrical version on a separate disc OR included the restored music/production stills material as an extra.

I'd rather be "momentarily" disconcerted for a short sequence than miss out on all the glorious material that was missing from that old hack-job release we were treated to on TV all those years ago.

Don't forget that a lot of the "performances" of Mason and Garland was also missing.  The entire sequence in the recording studio in which their private conversation was recorded, and then played back, was out of the film, as was most of "Lose That Long Face".

Those sequences alone are astonishing tour-de-forces.

DR Dan (The Man):  I agree that it's disconcerting to see those stills with the soundtrack overlay, but what they bring to the story, I think, made their inclusion essential.  This sequence showed what happened the next day after Norman convinced Esther to quite the band...and it showed what efforts Norman went to in getting the studio to find her.  The studio indifference was a good insight into Norman's decline in importance to the studio, as well.  Norman's own efforts to find Esther were wonderful to finally "hear"...and that shot of them stopping so that she could go barf gave us an establishing shot of time and place...and a look at what that part of Los Angeles looked like in those days.  Love the neon on the buildings lining the road....and the oil drilling!

I alos love, love, love that shot of an LA street at Christmas time.   

The BD makes it more startlingly clear than ever before what Cukor and Ray Leavitt were after in terms of filling the CinemaScope screen...wonderful touches of lighted figures on one side...and then something softly lit on the other side of the room...a window...or a curtain blowing in the breeze.   It's a film of amazing creativity in approaching the "new widescreen process" that everyone was experimenting with.

One thing that has always bothered me....all the red in the Swanee number.  Everything in varying degrees of deep red/rust. 

I guess I feel that I've seen the restored sequences enough times that I can fill in the spaces myself now if I would view the truncated version.  But, for now, they tend to take me out of the flow of the picture.  This should still be the "official" version that everyone should see, but I would like the option of viewing it without the restored segments (and that should be an easy menu option these days.)

I wonder how long it will be before these scenes can be totally recreated with CGI?
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »

BK,

Those sequences alone are astonishing tour-de-forces.

I alos love, love, love that shot of an LA street at Christmas time.   

Methinks you're missing the point I was making (and Dan was making) - we just think that they should have included the version that most people saw back then, and which most people have seen since, right up to the restoration that Haver did.  It's what the film was since just after its original exclusive engagements so I feel it's historically important to have it included.  Included with the Haver so we have both.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »

Most esteemed bk - will you be singing at the sing-along "Grease"?   If so, what parts will you really want to sing?

I will sit there like so much fish.  Barry needed a date for the screening and I'm it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2010, 10:15:31 AM »

I'm up again - feeling better and hoping this thing came and went quickly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »

Get me off this damn page.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »

GREASE is the word.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:17 AM »

Had a nice telephonic conversation with the producer of the potential benefit - they still have work to do on their end before it's real, so it will be a couple of weeks until it's a for sure thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »

But it will be fun if it happens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »

Fast.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »

When GREASE opened in Indy - on the first night - if you dressed in 50's clothes you got in free.....I got in free.....and I didn't even know about the contest.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:58 AM »

I'm going to eat very lightly and very mild food at lunch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  Have you noticed that everyone is just sitting here like so much fish?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2010, 11:17:58 AM »

Just printed out forty postage strips - only about 500 to go.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »

Postage Strip....wasn't that one of Gypsy Rose Lee's old routines?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »

Canadian earthquake?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »

Yep.  That was the one where she used the line "At these prices, I'm a philatelist!"
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »

I always confuse it with DR MBarnum's routine, The Postman Comes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »

The Postman Cometh - that was an O'Neill play, right?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »

Get me off this damn page.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »

Paging a new page.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »

Our GUESTS have dwindled to seven, oh, yes, they have dwindled to seven.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up