Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: PLASTER OF PARIS  (Read 14618 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: PLASTER OF PARIS
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2010, 07:00:42 PM »

PAGE SIX DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2010, 07:01:39 PM »

Even after I took notes transferring the photos from my camera into the files I want is a challenge.  Maybe if Keith gave me more time to write notes that make sense later on it would be easier ;)

My eyes hurt from using the computer too long-night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2010, 07:08:09 PM »

Watching The Monster That Challenged the World.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2010, 07:42:42 PM »

Watching The 5000 Fingers of Dr T - mostly excellent on TCM HD!

Love the music and the big "orchestra" dance number....what imagination!

I have this on DVD (in the Stanley Kramer set), but I've never seen it.  Perhaps I should take a look.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2010, 07:50:55 PM »

Get me off this damn page.

MBarnum

« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2010, 08:37:56 PM »

BK, did you watch TANK BATTALION on TCM this week...one of Leslie Parrish's first films, back when she was known as Marjorie Hellen...and the film is an AIP extravaganza, no less.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »

Watched part of this as well (own it; so I can watch it whenever I want).  The Dungeon Ballet is sheer surreal genius and quintessentially Suessian.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »

I have this on DVD (in the Stanley Kramer set), but I've never seen it.  Perhaps I should take a look.

You definitely should!  One of the greatest children's fantasys of all time.  And witty enough for adults too!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2010, 09:58:22 PM »

I love Dr. T.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »

Which is more than I can say for this endless motion picture I am watching.  Still almost an hour to go.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2010, 11:22:43 PM »

Today, I watched an episode of "Royal Pains," then two episodes of "My Life on the D List" and now I'm watching the second of two episodes of "Doctor Who." 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2010, 11:25:04 PM »

Oh, my Lord.  The "person" who runs the Home Theatre Forum, you know, the place that has reviewers who don't really know what they're talking about, well, it's not bad enough that a person who runs a place like this admitted early on that he had never seen a classic film before the advent of DVD, but his admission last week that he'd never seen A Star is Born with Judy Garland was, I suppose, understandable.  Well, he's watched the film.  He liked it but thought it too long.  But here is what this "person" this man who runs the Home Theatre Forum had to say about the restoration:

"Thank Goodness the restoration of this film was
done through Warner Bros.  It was very interesting
to see the attempt to reconstruct destroyed scenes
using photography stills.  It worked out very, very well.
Had most any other studio attempted to restore this film
it would most likely have been a half-hearted effort."

Now, just in case you're not getting it, what he's saying here is that Warner Bros did this restoration - the implication clearly is that he thinks they JUST did this restoration and this reconstructing of destroyed scenes.  Well, note to "person":  This restoration of A Star is Born was done by Ronald Haver many, many years ago.  It was not done for THIS Blu-Ray release.  This is so typical of that jernt - a bunch of people writing about transfers when they know nothing about what film actually looks like - no, they read what some experts say, then use that as a barometer for every film ever made.  Sorry, doesn't work like that.  This endless tripe about DNR and grain removal - when I saw Grease the other night, I specifically asked Randal Kleiser, you know, the man who MADE THE FILM, what we were seeing.  And what we were seeing was a beautiful new digital version of the film - and he was so happy that he got to remove a lot of the really UGLY grain that always plagued the film due to opticals and the film stock of the time.  Point being, grain is not something that was always desired - not overt, ugly grain.  It was a byproduct of opticals, and begin generations away from the camera negative.  Yes, film has a natural grain, but these "reviewers" don't have a clew as to what it looks like.  They use phrases like "a nice, healthy layer of natural film grain" because they read it somewhere - read that phrase, usually spoken by people like Robert Harris - only they're not Robert Harris and no amount of reading Mr. Harris' comments (some of which I definitely agree with and some of which I definitely don't) is going to make them understand exactly what he's talking about. 

End of rant.  And just to be very clear - note to "person": The restoration of A Star is Born would never have happened without Mr. Haver.  It was his idea, he spearheaded it, found the material, and while it was indeed done through the auspices of Warner Bros., Warner Bros. would not have done it sans Mr. Haver.  Other note to "person":  It's not really hard to find this information - Google is your friend, and I assume it's mentioned in many of the extras included on the disc - a little research and knowledge is always helpful in stopping someone from looking like an unknowledgeable fool.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up