Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OTTO HARP  (Read 48692 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: OTTO HARP
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2010, 03:31:24 PM »

Promises, Promises has not yet arrived in Tumwater. :'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2010, 03:34:11 PM »

Hi everybody.  I have been a lurker for a few weeks.  I realize that everyone on this list is very familiar with each other. Therefore, I hope that you will get to know me also. I became aware of Bruce through Kritzerland, since I have ordered a majority of his CD's. I just started reading his books yesterday, starting with "Benjamin Kritzer." This book is my period having been born in 1942. I notice that most posts are very short, so I will end for now.

Thom

Welcome DR (dear reader) Thom!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »

BK, I agree with DR Tom, 2-CD set as before, if you decide to do it.

I'd frankly rather see those who missed out stay out and see you release A TIME FOR SINGING instead.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »

I am now Facebook friends with Hemant Birje, star of the 1985 Bollywood film TARZAN and several of those Ramsey Bros. Bollywood horror flicks from that same period.

Mikey, be careful!  Remember the judge said one more arrest for stalking and he would be sending you to the Big House (without your soap on a rope).
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2010, 03:45:01 PM »

“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »

I just found this Chicago publicity photo of Elsie Janis and Montgomery & Stone in THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER. It's a very strange photo. David montgomery is on the left and Fred Stone is on the right. Miss Janis and her mother, like Rose and the Hovick girls, had their sapphic side. That means lesbian, Mikey!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »

Well it's tie in the Caption contest, but I am behind in the run off.....click, scroll down, and vote....if you will.  Thanks.

http://splendidmarbles.com/2010/07/06/cartoons/splendid-marbles-cartoon-caption-contest-70/

I voted.  That is the first time it has shown me the scores.

I attempted to vote from Keith's computer.  It didn't work.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2010, 03:51:21 PM »

Here's my thought on Promises - I had no idea it would go this quickly.  And I know there are others who, as the word gets out, are going to want it badly.  So, I have two options, both of which require me to re-license the title, which is no problem (or just add to the contract we've already done since I actually have the rights for three years).  I can do a "second edition" of the two CD set, also limited to 1000 copies, OR I can do a release of only disc two, limited to 1000 copies.  Either way, we'll only probably sell a couple hundred right away (which will pay for the repressing and re-licensing), but I don't mind if I have the rest for a year or two, just so people can get it.  What do you all think?

I think that is a terrific idea.  AS word gets out among musical theater fanatics about this CD, people will be clammering to get a copy.

I think the two CD set is wonderful, but if the cost is prohibitive, the single CD is better than nothing.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »

Here's my thought on Promises - I had no idea it would go this quickly.  And I know there are others who, as the word gets out, are going to want it badly.  So, I have two options, both of which require me to re-license the title, which is no problem (or just add to the contract we've already done since I actually have the rights for three years).  I can do a "second edition" of the two CD set, also limited to 1000 copies, OR I can do a release of only disc two, limited to 1000 copies.  Either way, we'll only probably sell a couple hundred right away (which will pay for the repressing and re-licensing), but I don't mind if I have the rest for a year or two, just so people can get it.  What do you all think?

We need to build up a mania like for Zhu-Zhu pets.

LOL!  I thought you wrote Zazu Pitts, and I was trying to figure out what part she played.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »

It's a toss-up, cost-wise.  If I keep it two CDs then all I have to do is change the inlay card - one line - to read SECOND EDITION.  Everything else is done, so there's only the licensing and pressing and printing costs - doing a two CD set is more costly in terms of the pressing, but not prohibitively so.  If I were to do just CD 2, then I have to redo the booklet to remove the stuff about CD 1, and I have to have a new master created with a new release number - so it's actually easier to do the double CD - that said, what I don't want is a bunch of people attacking us for doing a subsequent pressing on a limited edition - in other words, some people probably got a few extra copies to keep as an investment.  That's the only downside to this, but again, it will say second edition. 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »

A wonderful review on some site - read my comments after the review for some insight as to exactly what I did on this release:

http://theseconddisc.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/review-promises-promises-original-mgm-broadway-cast-recording/

What a fantastic review!  I don't know much about these things, but would Broadway World, or Playbill, or whoever the top banana is; would they run a story about a second printing?  And he said the same thing that I did about CHRISTMAS DAY.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2010, 04:11:44 PM »

A wonderful review on some site - read my comments after the review for some insight as to exactly what I did on this release:

http://theseconddisc.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/review-promises-promises-original-mgm-broadway-cast-recording/

What a fantastic review!  I don't know much about these things, but would Broadway World, or Playbill, or whoever the top banana is; would they run a story about a second printing?  And he said the same thing that I did about CHRISTMAS DAY.

What a very strange paragraph, TC!
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2010, 04:21:51 PM »

When I checked the status this morning on NetFlix it said "very long wait" for THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.  I just received email it has been shipped and should arrive tomorrow!!  :D

I hope you like it. Just remember there is a lot of violence. I think when I watch the English version I am going to fast forward thru the violent parts (since i've already seen them). It was just too violent for me and I suspect it will be too violent for you.

Jennifer

« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »

More vibes for DR Ann. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2010, 04:28:20 PM »

When I checked the status this morning on NetFlix it said "very long wait" for THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.  I just received email it has been shipped and should arrive tomorrow!!  :D

I hope you like it. Just remember there is a lot of violence. I think when I watch the English version I am going to fast forward thru the violent parts (since i've already seen them). It was just too violent for me and I suspect it will be too violent for you.

I thought they hadn't filmed the English version yet.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »

I just found this Chicago publicity photo of Elsie Janis and Montgomery & Stone in THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER. It's a very strange photo. David montgomery is on the left and Fred Stone is on the right. Miss Janis and her mother, like Rose and the Hovick girls, had their sapphic side. That means lesbian, Mikey!

My Aunt Ruth was from Lesbia.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »

Well, the head of broadwayworld asked me for a promo, and I sent it to him, so I suppose we could do a story.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »

Well, I vote, "yes;" but what do I know.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »

It might not be.  My brother didn't complain & I think he is bothered more by violence than I am.  Because of Keith we watch a lot of action movies.  I hope I am right. ;D

Jane

« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2010, 04:52:57 PM »

I thought they hadn't filmed the English version yet.

She is referring to the dubbed in English version or the English subtitles vs the French subtitles.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #170 on: July 06, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »

Welcome, DR Thom!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #171 on: July 06, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »

I voted, DR JRand.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »

TOD: Piano and bassoon. I always loved the deep, rich sound of a bassoon. Can't think of any bassoon virtuosi, however.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »

Sorry, I'm so late in joining in today. I'd like to second DR Elmore's request of "A Time for Singing," but I also think that you should go with the publicity you're getting for "Promises" and sell a few hundred more copies. Maybe leave off the surprise track on Disc Two of the second edition.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »

Excellent review -- and well deserved, too, BK.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2010, 05:17:30 PM »

T.O.D.

Without a doubt, piano.  Although I did play the bassoon in school, John.  My mother was a vocal music teacher and she taught piano at home.  Naturally, I refused to take lessons from her.  Still she always hounded me to practice, so, of course, I never did.  Now I regret the ability to play.

I love Roger Williams.  Wow, could that man sweat.  And Ferrante and Teicher made it cool to play the piano.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:23:17 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2010, 05:52:53 PM »

Well, we have arrived in Sioux Falls, slightly ahead of "tornadic activity."  I had never heard the phrase "tornadic activity" until we turned on the tv and heard it repeated several times on an urgent news break-in.

Cilla, sorry--you must have posted after we turned off the computer or I would have answered this morning.  Yes, we're staying here overnight, then off to Wisconsin Dells tomorrow and then finally up north.

Bruce, we are having a very enjoyable ride as DW Wife Betsy reads your very charming and entertaining book out loud.  We're up to your second Partridge Family episode.  DW Wife Betsy *did* notice one other typo (not the Carol Merrill one) if you want to know for your second printing.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2010, 06:02:52 PM »

The Ryko guy now acknowledges that the Ryko (and Varese) release was a remix.  He denies, however, that Ryko itself did the remix and that MGM was responsible - that is, I'm sure, true.

Ginny

« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:02 PM »

Greetings from Ohio - we are glad to be home after a fun, but too short, trip to Michigan.  Left Lansing about 9:30am and got to A2 (Ann Arbor) about 11.  Drove past the stadium to see all the construction, then around Central Campus, which looks great!  We had lunch at Zingerman's (thought of you, DR Jane), drove out through North Campus, where I lived all through undergrad, and headed to Dayton.  We go to Sinclair CC just in time for Rob's appointment with career services and home for pizza.  He's now tutoring DN Lauren for her sports physics class.  One of the problems starts out, "Tonya crashes into Nancy while they're practicing their figure skating routines..."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »

We had a nice full mailbox when we arrived home today and it included PROMISES, PROMISES!!!  That, and an new DR, and life at HHW is good.

Welcome, DR Thom!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up