Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED  (Read 43433 times)

Ginny

Re: ALL THINGS CONSIDERED
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 06:28:41 AM »

Thanks, DRGinny-I hope you have a nice weekend away.

Thank you, DR KevinH - we're going to see DR Elmore in Canton, OH.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 06:37:37 AM »

BK et Al

The Second Movie in The Series Opens Tomorrow

THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 06:41:10 AM »

And the word of the day is: CONGERIES!

And The Song Of The Day Is: PUTTING IT TOGETHER

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 06:43:10 AM »

JRand, break legs...not martini glasses...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 06:45:46 AM »

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@       BREAK A LEG VIBES FOR THE CAST AND CREW OF BLITHE SPIRIT     @@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 06:47:22 AM »

Welcome back home, DR KevinH!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 07:12:19 AM »

JRand,

Break BOTH legs & have a great show!
You can dream…or you can do.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 07:14:59 AM »

TOD - I'm sure there are many mistakes that I wish I could do over.  While it's not great to dwell on them, I'll share one:  Giving up working on a production of Ragtime in order to MD a production of I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change.  Turned out to be the most frustrating show I've worked on in a long time.  The director (and his partner who was the so-called Choreographer) were just too young and too clueless for the material.  We had 4 fabulous actors that thank goodness had brains in their heads and basically pulled off the show in their own right.  Oh, and the sound designer and I almost came to blows on several occasions over his inability to DO HIS JOB!!   The production of Ragtime was beautiful and made me cry several times - and not because the material was moving!!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 07:16:47 AM »

TOD:

I would not have listened to Adela Rogers St. Johns, but would have taken director King Vidor up on his offer to collaborate with him on the book about the William Desmond Taylor murder that would become the best-selling, A CAST OF KILLERS.

I talk, at length, about this unfortunate decision in my forthcoming memoir.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 07:17:56 AM »

TOD - I'm sure there are many mistakes that I wish I could do over.  While it's not great to dwell on them, I'll share one:  Giving up working on a production of Ragtime in order to MD a production of I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change.  Turned out to be the most frustrating show I've worked on in a long time.  The director (and his partner who was the so-called Choreographer) were just too young and too clueless for the material.  We had 4 fabulous actors that thank goodness had brains in their heads and basically pulled off the show in their own right.  Oh, and the sound designer and I almost came to blows on several occasions over his inability to DO HIS JOB!!   The production of Ragtime was beautiful and made me cry several times - and not because the material was moving!!

RAGTIME is one of my favorite musicals. 

KevinH

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 07:26:40 AM »

Welcome back home, DR KevinH!

Thanks, DRDan!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 08:10:27 AM »

TOD:

I plead the Fifth!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »

TOD:  I'd have taken advantage of an investment opportunity my Mom suggested to me in the early 1970s.  I wasn't making much at that time (Navy pay was dismal) and could not figure how I'd manage to do with even less than I was getting.

I could have done with less and then some...if I had only known then....sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 08:42:14 AM »

BK, glad you liked "Dragon Tattoo." I felt like you did, that the pacing was wonderful even though the movie was long. Perhaps some of the reaction to the violence was that it was a woman exacting revenge on a man. There is a double standard, even if most people don't want to recognize it -- and that was one of the points of the book and the movie.

When I hear from critics and others that a film is ultra-violent, what that means to me is a LOT of bloodletting, knives cutting into skin, squibs, eyes popping out of heads, decapitation shown explicitly, somebody shot in the head in close-up, brains splattering on a wall, entrails being exposed, close-ups of any sort of violent mayhem - you know, explicit violent action.  There is not one shot in Dragon Tattoo like that.  Re the woman exacting revenge - a wonderful scene (I applauded) and again you don't really see anything at all.  Yes, there are disturbing images - mostly shown in photographs and occasional quick flashbacks - these are after the fact images - we do not actually SEE the violence being perpetrated.  That's the big difference between this and a Tarantino film like Kill Bill or Scorsese's Goodfellas, the latter being so violent that I finally turned the movie off.   Maybe people think they're seeing more than is actually on view, which sometimes happens, but I found nothing in this film where I was ready to reach for the remote control to shut it off - same with Silence of the Lambs, which is far more violent than Dragon Tattoo, but is stylized and not overt.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 08:43:24 AM »

re: the movie THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON? TATTOO and BK's review.

It is extremely violent. Not the kind of violence in most movies.  But still the kind that would make many people uncomfortable to watch.

I loved the books. And really liked the movies. And the story has a lot of violence. So obviously they had to include it.  But I don't think that you should say that people who found it too violent don't know what they are saying.  Maybe I have a problem with people who dismiss it simply because of the violence.. But to me the movie is still undeniably violent. And not for anyone under 18.

See my post above.  I agree that it's not for anyone under 18.  I'm sure the book reads more violent, but the film?  Not so much.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 08:44:40 AM »

Re mistakes - I never dwell on mistakes I've made, but I have no problem talking about them as I have learned from each and every one of the mistakes and the learning has made my life better.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »

And just to be clear - I HATE and LOATHE movies with explicit violent action.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 08:45:16 AM »

And just to be clearer - I am up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »

And just to be ultra-clear: Get me off this damn page.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 08:54:25 AM »

JRand, I voted the other day and it still won't let me vote again. Hope you win!

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »

TOD:

I would have gone to college.

I would have interviewed actor William Boyett before he died.

I would have continued dating that doctor.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »

There is nothing NOTHING that could make me be interested in reading a book OR seeing a movie called THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO......just as I have avoided THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS and THE SECRETS OF THE YA YA SISTERHOOD....

NOTHING!!!

I wouldn't not read a book because of the title. But I actually love the title "the girl with the dragon tattoo". It's one of my favorite titles.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:16 AM »

There is no explicit violence like those things you listed above. GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is a different kind of violence. Btw, i'm curious if you and DR Jand watched it dubbed or with English subtitles. I'm curious if the dubbing is any good.

I'm also curious about people's enjoyment if they've read the book vs not having read the book. I knew what was going to happen. So it was different.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »

There is no explicit violence like those things you listed above. GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is a different kind of violence. Btw, i'm curious if you and DR Jand watched it dubbed or with English subtitles. I'm curious if the dubbing is any good.

I'm also curious about people's enjoyment if they've read the book vs not having read the book. I knew what was going to happen. So it was different.

Ah, the dubbing - I forgot to mention it in the notes, so thanks for bringing it up.  I watched the film in Swedish with subtitles - easy to read and follow and that's the only way I'll watch a foreign film anyway.  After, I switched over to the dubbed track to see what it was like - HORRENDOUSLY BAD.  Especially whoever voiced the lead guy is terrible.  The girl isn't much better, and it's just a typical 1960s-like terrible foreign film dub - it should be avoided like the plague.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »

There is nothing NOTHING that could make me be interested in reading a book OR seeing a movie called THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO......just as I have avoided THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS and THE SECRETS OF THE YA YA SISTERHOOD....

NOTHING!!!

I wouldn't not read a book because of the title. But I actually love the title "the girl with the dragon tattoo". It's one of my favorite titles.

Interestingly, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is the English title of the book - the original Swedish title translates to something like Men Who Hate Women.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »

Fifty minutes to telephonic interview.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 09:16:58 AM »

"Lost" finds itself a winner in Emmy nominations!

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »

TOD - I would have made more use of the (more or less) free recreational facilities at the University of Michigan while an undergrad and graduate student.  Could have taken golf lessons, tennis lessons, figure skating lessons, swimming/diving, etc. and developed some good fitness habits, but back then I considered PE a waste and took just enough to fulfill the requirement to graduate.

And I wouldn't have given up my student housing and moved back in with my parents for my grad school year.  The trade-off was a car, but halfway through I decided it wasn't worth it and moved back to campus.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »

Hello, everyone! I have retrned from all of my errands. My appontment has been moved from Wednesday to next Friday at 10:15, I carted two shopping bags of scores home from the McGlinnventory and we sorted around 7-10 cartons of full orchestra scores into 2 categories, one for the archive or Library of Congress and one for things to be sold.  As one of the heirs, I've been taking things I want and carting them home for the past year. There will still be a ton of scores, full, miniature, and vocal for sale. Some of them are amazing, lije the original Full Score and Vocal Score for the first version of MADAME BUTTERFLY, which is a harsher version than the one normally performed.

This afternoon at 3, I see Ms Rebecca Luker for a rehearsal of the Herbert songs she will record in October, and I have to stop at the bank and deposit a bit of cash to cover two checks until the invoice that should have been taken care of Monday is paid.

DR JRand59, my sister-in-law JoAnn called me to tell me she buried St Joseph this morning. Thank you again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Opening Night Vibes for DR JRand59! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »

TOD:

I would have continued dating that doctor.

No one could cure you. He was probably afraid of a malpractice suit.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up