Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I REMEMBER IT WELL  (Read 41606 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: I REMEMBER IT WELL
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »

TOD:

I never really watched MTM, but (like everybody else) my favorite episode of ALL IN THE FAMILY was the one with Sammy Davis, Jr.

Everybody?  What am I, chopped liver?

Sorry.  Almost everybody...
You can dream…or you can do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 08:46:15 AM »

TOD:

I never really watched MTM, but (like everybody else) my favorite episode of ALL IN THE FAMILY was the one with Sammy Davis, Jr.

Sorry.  Almost everybody...

I has arrived!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 08:51:31 AM »

RLP, what you said about Big Brother last night...ditto. Enzo is driving me crazy.

Now, who do you think is the saboteur?

My guess is Lane.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 08:56:12 AM »

One of my favorite episodes was when she moved to her new apartment and, after all the excitement died down, she stood alone in the middle of the living room and wailed, "I hate it!"

that is what I did when  I bought my house!

DR MBarnum - that's why I loved the episode.  I think a lot of people want something so badly that they're disappointed (often, temporarily, thank goodness) when they finally get it.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  It's already close to ninety out, so jog will probably be this evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »

Someone "reviewed" my book on Goodreads - someone in the UK.  He really liked it, but says that he didn't like the writing that much (my inexperience as an author despite having written other books).  So, that was interesting.  I do have a certain, shall we say, style and voice and I guess some probably find it not to their liking.  But he liked the stories and the point, so that's good.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »

TOD:

The Sammy Davis Jr episode of AITF was definately not one of my favorites.  Even way back then it struck me as an implausable incident within the world the show had created for itself.  If the phrase was existant then, it would have been a "jumping the shark" episode.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 09:55:53 AM »

What I used to love was way back in the 80s when Channel 4 in NYC would show two back-to-back episodes of MTM at 3:00 am.  It was the perfect way to wind down after a night out in the city.

Well, the second best perfect way...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 09:57:14 AM »

Waiting for the helper to arrive.  We have to do two royalty statements and one publishing thing today, the Costco, although maybe we'll do Costco first.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 10:06:39 AM »

Someone "reviewed" my book on Goodreads - someone in the UK.  He really liked it, but says that he didn't like the writing that much (my inexperience as an author despite having written other books).  So, that was interesting.  I do have a certain, shall we say, style and voice and I guess some probably find it not to their liking.  But he liked the stories and the point, so that's good.

He may have only given you four stars, but that's really a very good review. 

Certainly it would not dissuade somebody from buying the book.

You can dream…or you can do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 10:07:19 AM »

You know, there was actually one MTM episode that I never seen all the way through until the Season One set came out.  It's the one where Mary has her tonsils out and her hospital roommate is Pat Carroll.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 10:15:32 AM »

I am back from the McGlinnventory with two more shopping bags of full scores. I have to proofread a piano-vocal score from Joshie and a lot of LADY OF THE SLIPPER questions to answer for my copyists. I need a nap.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »

DR Ginny, thanks for the Tom Howard obituary. What a sad surprise. I think he was a person who should have left Middletown a long time ago.  He was talented and a good person, and I did plan on visiting with him on my next trip to Ohio. I was surprised by the news about a son and wife; when I moved to NYC in 1979, he was gay. Or bi.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »

DR Elmore - I was stunned to read of Tom's death in this morning's paper.  For the others here:

Tom Howard.

He was one of the Schroeders in the Charlie Brown production that DR Elmore directed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:38:44 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:28 AM »

RLP, what you said about Big Brother last night...ditto. Enzo is driving me crazy.

Now, who do you think is the saboteur?

My guess is Lane.

Good guess.  As good as any, at any rate.   I still have a tingle that it may be the lady police officer.  She seemed really distraught about possibly being targeted for a nomination.

However, I suspect them ALL!   I also suspect the claim the saboteur made in last night's episode is just something to make them all paranoid.  I don't think any of them knew one another prior to entering the house.

I'm always amused at how outraged and angry guy alliances get when they suspect "others" of being in an alliance.  "The Brigade" is beside itself that friendships have formed among the other houseguests...so much so that everyone cannot be trusted!!!!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 11:48:54 AM »

Is everybody either at lunch or on break?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 11:49:22 AM »

There's a kind of hush....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2010, 11:49:58 AM »

I am enjoying today being my "Friday".  It makes things zip right along.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »

Last night, the door trim decided to give up the ghost as Edith made her entrance......she picked it up on the way out as though it were just another part of her job.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2010, 11:55:42 AM »

Film Score Monthly has announced a new 3-CD set:  "Bronislau Kaper at MGM (1954-1962) -- Volume 1".

Although you'd get the idea that it's odds and ends, really  scores (possibly not complete) from films like "The Power and the Prize", "Her 12 Men", "Somebody Up There Likes Me", "Ada", "Two Loves", and, of course, "BUtterfield 8".  In addition to cues from the film scores written by Kaper, the CDs feature source music used in the various films.

It's a treasure!!!  It's also the bees-knees!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2010, 11:57:46 AM »

Last night, the door trim decided to give up the ghost as Edith made her entrance......she picked it up on the way out as though it were just another part of her job.

No ad lib, such as "I'll be back with my hammer and some nails to fix this thing"?

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »

I am off to the grocery store to buy one (or two) of each - bye for now!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »

A lesson in how to remove any sense of joy or life from a song - including the orchestrations......and slow the tempo way down, please.

Not sure if the choreography is just bad or they had to tailor it for the bad dancers.....  I had forgotten how horrible it really was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj3mFkn07Iw
That is sad.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »

I do remember watching ALL IN THE FAMILY when I was quite young.  I guess I was allowed to watch tv for the last year or two.  I don't remember any favorites since it's been that long since I've seen the show.

John G.

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »

It must be a week for finishing books--I finally got through the Charles M. Schulz bio on the train this morning.  Very sad.  For all his success, his fame and his wealth, for all the happiness he instilled in the fans of his Peanuts, the man lived a life of bitterness and regret and never truly felt he was ever loved by anyone to the very end.

As for the book itself, I found it to be wildly uneven.  The author, David Michaelis, goes into such minute details in many aspects of Schulz's life but almost totally ignores others.  For instance, I've learned more about the husband of the woman who was the life model of the Little Red Headed Girl than of most of Schulz's own children, who remain ciphers throughout the book.  Also, Michaelis takes a few tangents from biography and slips into analyzing the Peanuts strip.  While what he has to say about it is interesting, he pretty much ignores the early years of the strip along with any discussion of some of the major characters like Peppermint Patty.

All in all, I guess I'm glad that I read it even though my feelings about its subject have been vastly altered (Charles M. Schulz was one of my childhood heroes.)  I feel a need to go back and read the Peanuts collections to remind myself that I fell in love with the work and not the man.
I was not thrilled with the bio either. I know many people who make others laugh are often depressed or otherwise downhearted. But I had a problem with the writing. So there's little known about Schulz's early years. Why not say so, instead of analyzing a family photograph and trying to interpret how that fits in with a rather lame theory on the man's life. The author spent way too much time on a single photo as his only source for the early years and ended up with way too much conjecture.

In other words, too much Michaelis and not enough Schulz.  
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »

However, I suspect them ALL!   I also suspect the claim the saboteur made in last night's episode is just something to make them all paranoid.  I don't think any of them knew one another prior to entering the house.

Dingo at hamsterwatch is sure that two people DO KNOW EACH OTHER.  I'll put it in another post with spoilers in case you don't want to know.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »

He may have only given you four stars, but that's really a very good review. 

Certainly it would not dissuade somebody from buying the book.

I didn't read the review. But isn't that sort of insulting if someone doesn't like the writing. Since it is a book.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »

I am off to the grocery store to buy one (or two) of each - bye for now!

one or two of what?

John G.

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 12:23:38 PM »

DR Ginny. It's been years since I was in your town. And I can't remember asking this before, but is either Chardelle Webber or Iona (last name escapes me) still with us? They were the newspaper's gossip/hometown news writers for years. Iona's column was called Incidentally.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »

re: what DR RON P was saying about BIG BROTHER and the saboteur saying that two people know each other from before.

SPACE

SPOILER

SPACE

blah blah and then therew were two and there names are annie and rachel and kathy and then were none who is one
one two this and then impled kristen and andrew and brendan and rachel, and one and two and kathy and britney and
Apparently two people have been talking/meeting at night. And have either said/or implied that they did know each other
 before.  It's Hayden (HOH) and Kristen (girl who never talks). I haven't been studying the live feeds. But that is what he
 insists. I'm not sure if they are just friends or brother/sister. But it's sort of unfair to have two people who know each
 other. Although I guess with the saboteur announcing it, if they are found out, then it could be a huge disadvantage to
 them. and then there were two and then there was one waw  blah alkjdoiu oui  one two three
one two this and then impled kristen and andrew and brendan and rachel, and one and two and kathy and britney and
blah blah and then therew were two and there names are annie and rachel and kathy and then were none who is one
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up