Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GAZELLE WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO  (Read 22579 times)

td

• td
Re: THE GAZELLE WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2010, 05:40:55 PM »

I miss BrettySpaghetti, too. . . .and I definitely miss DR Jose, whose ears should have been burning saturday night during my conversation with Jim Stanek. . .I'm jus' sayin'. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2010, 05:43:18 PM »

When I got home from the grantwriters' successful social media training session, Richard and Rob were preparing a summer supper of BLT sandwiches and corn on the cob.  Rob left for a 4-hour shift in the ER and Richard and I took a drive out to the country to deliver a Canton surprise to DR Elmore's sister-in-law (not Lady McB).  Jo was pleased.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2010, 05:44:08 PM »

Happy, happy, Miss Karen!

Happy back at 'cha, DR John G -- and a happy day for all out there.

A Most Wonderful Day To Our Birthday Girl,

MISS KAREN!

I only wish that you and Cason could spend more time here with us!

Is that your "only" wish, TCB?  Darn!  Now I'll have to cancel with the Good Fairy...and I know she won't give me my money back!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »

Oh, yes...and for what it's worth, my take on Twitter and Facebook -- They are impersonal, non-involving and NOT the intimate gathering of HainesHisWay.com.  ....

Ditto.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »

DR Cillaliz, re: that bike race/ride

I don't see how people who don't ride a lot/or who aren't in shape could just do this race.  I ride everyday. And it still sounds really hard to me.  I don't know if i could ride for 10 hours a day (or however long they race).

First of all, it isn't a race.  No one is in a hurry.  People often stop in the little towns along the way for hours at a time, or they may stop at a farm selling pie or watermelon or something. The first day is 70 miles, there are hills, but it's mostly fairly flat paved roads through the countryside.   And, for those who are registered for the ride, there is a wagon that will take you and your bike to the next stop.  Most groups have their own busses and vans who they meet in each small town, so if they don't want to go on, they catch a ride. 
There are also a lot of people who ride just a day or two to be a part of it. 

Ride at your own pace then. :)

Jane

« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Oh, yes...and for what it's worth, my take on Twitter and Facebook -- They are impersonal, non-involving and NOT the intimate gathering of HainesHisWay.com.  In other words, they are a perfect means of escape without having to invest oneself personally into posting stuff there.

Especially the way you do it DR Ron ;)   Also what DR Jose has been doing at FB.

Jane

« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »

When I got home from the grantwriters' successful social media training session, Richard and Rob were preparing a summer supper of BLT sandwiches and corn on the cob.  Rob left for a 4-hour shift in the ER and Richard and I took a drive out to the country to deliver a Canton surprise to DR Elmore's sister-in-law (not Lady McB).  Jo was pleased.

:D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »

Did Maddie and Max behave?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2010, 06:07:12 PM »

We only saw Max and he was fenced in.  He barked at us and Jo scolded him.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »

I miss BrettySpaghetti, too. . . .and I definitely miss DR Jose, whose ears should have been burning saturday night during my conversation with Jim Stanek. . .I'm jus' sayin'. . .

td, was Jim Stanek in FORUM?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »

We only saw Max and he was fenced in.  He barked at us and Jo scolded him.

Thank you so much for delivering the candy. I really do appreciate it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »

DR Cillaliz, re: that bike race/ride

I don't see how people who don't ride a lot/or who aren't in shape could just do this race.  I ride everyday. And it still sounds really hard to me.  I don't know if i could ride for 10 hours a day (or however long they race).

First of all, it isn't a race.  No one is in a hurry.  People often stop in the little towns along the way for hours at a time, or they may stop at a farm selling pie or watermelon or something. The first day is 70 miles, there are hills, but it's mostly fairly flat paved roads through the countryside.   And, for those who are registered for the ride, there is a wagon that will take you and your bike to the next stop.  Most groups have their own busses and vans who they meet in each small town, so if they don't want to go on, they catch a ride. 
There are also a lot of people who ride just a day or two to be a part of it. 

Ride at your own pace then. :)

Most definitely.  Some leave before sunrise, some leave around noon or whenever they recover from the night before.  Beer before noon is a very common occurrence. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/americas-best-adventures/biking-ragbrai
7. Iowa: Biking RAGBRAI
To the uninitiated, spending a week riding your bike across Iowa may hardly seem like an adventure. But RAGBRAI, the Des Moines Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, is a big deal in every way that counts for road cyclists—and it doesn’t get any more red, white, and blue than this.

Each year on the third Sunday in July, 10,000 riders start on the state’s western border (the route changes yearly) and proceed en masse, rolling east in seven stages in a traveling juggernaut that celebrates everything that’s good about the heartland. It’s a long queue of spinning spokes and endorphin-charged folks wheeling over farm-to-market roads that normally see maybe a tractor and a couple of cars a day. They ride into dot-on-the-map towns that welcome everyone with Fourth of July fanfare—bands oompah-ing, flags waving, and every school, church group, and Kiwanis Club in support.

Throughout the week RAGBRAI riders supplement PowerBars and Gatorade with three-inch-thick pork chops, corn every which way, and the race’s true lifeblood: homemade pies. There are as many as eight refueling stops each day, and cyclists put them to good use. Forget velodrome-flat rides: Some RAGBRAI weeks total more than 25,000 feet of climbing. (We did say this was an adventure.) Riders might camp in sorghum fields and shower in swine barns, but Hawkeye hospitality is guaranteed.

We don't grow sorgham in Iowa, but it's the thought that counts
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:20:22 PM by Cillaliz »

Jane

« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »

DR Jennifer forget the distance, somehow I don't picture you boozing your way through Iowa ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »

Not everyone is a boozer.  The biggest addiction on the ride is pie

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »

Lance Armstrong prefers Coconut Cream

Jane

« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »

LOL Cilla.  I read that about the pie.  I have had a craving for lemon meringue pie.  I don't want to make one and never see them here.

Laura

« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2010, 06:48:44 PM »

I am happy. One of the missing CD wallets has been found. I am adding them to my ipod.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »

Maybe I am overreacting, but Bretty Spaghetti is an entirely different matter.  Also, elmore, I think you know that that's exactly why Jose had e-mailed me - that "stuff" that was going on.  I'm glad it's not that, and I'll just keep my mouth shut and should he return then I'll play it as it lays.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »

I had such fun doing the Skip E. Lowe show - It was pretty amusing, I think.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2010, 06:51:37 PM »

I'm home for a few minutes before I go to the play reading - I don't really have time to do so, but I'm a supportive person despite what a few people here obviously think.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2010, 06:52:32 PM »

So, I have to prep the big orders for tomorrow before I go.  And I'm happy to welcome David Engel to the first Kritzerland at the Gardenia, joining Jason Graae and Alet Taylor.  I'm awaiting word from two other people.

Laura

« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »

I'm hoping we can make the trip in October.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jennifer

« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2010, 06:56:39 PM »

DR Jennifer forget the distance, somehow I don't picture you boozing your way through Iowa ;D

That is true.  I rarely drink actually.  I'm not crazy about beer or wine. I do like fruity drinks a lot like pina coladas or strawberry margaritas. But I rarely have them. Even in university we used to go to bars every week.  But I always had to drive so I never really drank.

Jennifer

« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »

LOL Cilla.  I read that about the pie.  I have had a craving for lemon meringue pie.  I don't want to make one and never see them here.

That seems funny since biking is exercise. So they get fit and then eat and drink a lot.

The best pie I've ever had was in Indy one time when I was visiting a friend who was working there. He took me to this fancy restaurant that had the best key lime pie ever. It was so good. I wish I could have that pie again!

Jennifer

« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »

I had the best brownie and ice cream at dinner tonight. My uncles does not like desserts. So he didn't eat his birthday brownie. On the other hand my niece and I love desserts. So we ate part of it!

Jennifer

« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2010, 07:01:38 PM »

At dinner the most interesting thing happened.

This guy at the next table asked if I could help him with something.

He said that he and his table (about 4 others) were having an argument. He was trying to do a trick and they would not believe him that it would work.

He had a napking with "1 2 3 4" on it. And he made me stare into his eyes for 30 seconds. And then he asked me to choose a number.

I chose "3" and then he turned over the back and it said "trois" (3).

Gosh I wish so much that I would have said the second number to come into my head. Or that i could try the trick again. Not sure how he did it. I guess when you stare into a cute guy's eyes you always pick number 3. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »

I had ribs. Love them. And since we only ate at 8:30pm I didn't eat half of mine. And my mom gave me the rest of hers. So did my aunt. So i ended up with way more than i started with. Except that my sister looked at my plate and asked why I got all the ribs. So i gave her half of what my aunt gave me.

I think it's because my mom and aunt know that ribs are one of my most favorite foods in the whole world.

td

• td
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »

td, was Jim Stanek in FORUM?

Yes, indeed he was.  As Hero.
He was also in LESTAT, as Louis.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »

That seems funny since biking is exercise. So they get fit and then eat and drink a lot.

The best pie I've ever had was in Indy one time when I was visiting a friend who was working there. He took me to this fancy restaurant that had the best key lime pie ever. It was so good. I wish I could have that pie again!

Well, it's not really about getting fit either.  I think it's really about getting away from everyday life and just being free for a week.  When nothing matters except getting from point a to b, meeting people, eating food,drinking or not, camping out or staying in the home of a stranger who opens their door to you, and being with 10,000 people who are putting their lives on hold to go for a week long bike ride.  Everyone is going outside to play, just like they did as kids.

I'm not big on pain or needing things like "butt paste" (That's the name of it) for chafing, so I just play a part for a day and then waive good bye.  I always want to go....but then I get on my bike and ride around the block and realize it's probably not a good idea for me
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up