Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SAY WHAT?  (Read 15727 times)

Laura

Re: SAY WHAT?
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »

That's good news, MBarnum.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »

Page 3 Good News Dance!

Laura

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »

Thank you for the photo of the fawns, Jane.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2010, 09:30:09 AM »

I wish I could stop reading my current book THE ENCHANTRESS OF FLORENCE by Salman Rushdie.  I have briefly stopped to give myself a break.  I am so tortured & distracted while reading I'll never be able to discuss the book intelligently at my next book group.

Most the reviews rave about the beautiful prose of this historical, mystical novel.  With such a combination I would expect to love it, not hate it.  After working through a ton of glowing reviews & finally found a small grouping of bad ones.  The following review best expresses my feelings.

"The best thing about Salman Rushdie's tiresome and confusing new novel The Enchantress of Florence is its lovely gold and orange cover. At the bookstore, admire the cover, then move on. (...) Set in both Asia and Italy, the book is neither historical fiction nor effective fantasy. Instead, it's an ornately written drone-fest designed to show off Rushdie's undeniable stylistic brilliance." - Deirdre Donahue, USA Today

Jane

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »

Thank you for the photo of the fawns, Jane.

You are welcome.  Would you like me to email you the rattlesnake photos?  I found them exceptional.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2010, 09:39:05 AM »

DR Laura how are he kittens today?

Ben

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »

Because there was SO much interest in JR's pic and my quiz, I shall now provide answers:

Picture:  Lois Kibbee, soap opera actress and sometime writer
Christine Jorgensen, Joan Bennett, and Frances Farmer:  The first two had autobiographies/biographies written or ghosted by Lois, and Lois was in the process of ghosting Frances' autobiography when Frances died in August 1970
Major and the Minor:  Lois' father, actor Milton Kibbee (brother of Guy Kibbee), played a role in the film

I also just noticed this morning that the cast of FRANCES includes one Ola Kauffman playing a mental patient.  Type casting, I'm sure.

How interesting. I have a very, very, very minor connection in that I knew Kathy Kibbee (I haven't seen her since 1988) and visited her in London. She's the granddaughter of Guy Kibbee. She married an English gentleman and moved over the pond. She's been living there ever since.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »

I wish I could stop reading my current book THE ENCHANTRESS OF FLORENCE by Salman Rushdie.  I have briefly stopped to give myself a break.  I am so tortured & distracted while reading I'll never be able to discuss the book intelligently at my next book group.

Most the reviews rave about the beautiful prose of this historical, mystical novel.  With such a combination I would expect to love it, not hate it.  After working through a ton of glowing reviews & finally found a small grouping of bad ones.  The following review best expresses my feelings.

"The best thing about Salman Rushdie's tiresome and confusing new novel The Enchantress of Florence is its lovely gold and orange cover. At the bookstore, admire the cover, then move on. (...) Set in both Asia and Italy, the book is neither historical fiction nor effective fantasy. Instead, it's an ornately written drone-fest designed to show off Rushdie's undeniable stylistic brilliance." - Deirdre Donahue, USA Today

Is there some rule that if you hate a book that you have to finish it?  I think you've read enough. Surely enough to be able to talk about it at book club. Why torture yourself? It's your time. Why should you have to complete it if you really don't like it? I wouldn't.

Laura

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »

If there is such a rule, Jennifer, it is a stupid rule. Life is too short to have to read books you hate.

Unless you are in school, of course. But then, you would just get the Cliff's Notes version and read that.

Laura

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2010, 10:46:25 AM »

Yes, Jane, I would like the rattlesnake picture.

The kittens are doing fine. They will just keep getting better, now that they have meds.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2010, 10:57:11 AM »

Is there some rule that if you hate a book that you have to finish it?  I think you've read enough. Surely enough to be able to talk about it at book club. Why torture yourself? It's your time. Why should you have to complete it if you really don't like it? I wouldn't.

I have never not finished a book for a discussion group & take pride in that.  We discuss the book in its entirety & I find it rude when others haven't read the entire book and expect the same consideration when I'm leading a discussion.  Unfortunately, IMHO, too often others haven't finished the book & I never tell them how I feel about that.

I've decided I will read this book during the day & something fun at night.  Usually I don't allow more than a week to read the book we will be discussing.  Boy, am I glad I started this one early.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »

If there is such a rule, Jennifer, it is a stupid rule. Life is too short to have to read books you hate.

Unless you are in school, of course. But then, you would just get the Cliff's Notes version and read that.

Personally I agree except when an obligation to others has been made.

LOL. While reading last night I kept thinking I want Cliff Notes. 

Jane

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »

Yes, Jane, I would like the rattlesnake picture.

The kittens are doing fine. They will just keep getting better, now that they have meds.

Now to see if I can send an email off the disk.

Good news about the kittens.

Laura

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »

If I hated the book and didn't finish it, I would probably skip the discussion, since I hated the book so much I wouldn't even want to listen to the discussion.

Laura

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »

But then, this is why I do not belong to any discussion groups.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2010, 11:25:44 AM »

I have never not finished a book for a discussion group & take pride in that.  We discuss the book in its entirety & I find it rude when others haven't read the entire book and expect the same consideration when I'm leading a discussion.  Unfortunately, IMHO, too often others haven't finished the book & I never tell them how I feel about that.

I've decided I will read this book during the day & something fun at night.  Usually I don't allow more than a week to read the book we will be discussing.  Boy, am I glad I started this one early.

Oh I get what you are saying. I think that people should be respectful and read the books assigned. But if a person truly hates the book and reads most of it, I would think that was fine.  If I were you I would contact the person who is leading the discussion.  At least that way you show you really care about the club.

Btw, I just stopped off at the library. And guess which book was being displayed up front in the "to read" section. I'll give you one guess ... :)

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »

I think I would like a book club.  But only to discuss books I like.  But I don't know that I want someone else telling me what to read. So I guess that is why I'm not part of a book club!

Jane

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »

If I hated the book and didn't finish it, I would probably skip the discussion, since I hated the book so much I wouldn't even want to listen to the discussion.

Interesting how many interesting discussion have resulted from books the majority didn't like or the comments were mixed. 

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »

Oh I get what you are saying. I think that people should be respectful and read the books assigned. But if a person truly hates the book and reads most of it, I would think that was fine.  If I were you I would contact the person who is leading the discussion.  At least that way you show you really care about the club.

Btw, I just stopped off at the library. And guess which book was being displayed up front in the "to read" section. I'll give you one guess ... :)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. ;)  Please don't say it was The Enchantress of Florence
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:36:56 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »

I think I would like a book club.  But only to discuss books I like.  But I don't know that I want someone else telling me what to read. So I guess that is why I'm not part of a book club!

I can't count how many times someone has said they never have chosen the book to read and were very glad they had read it.  I know I've said it many a time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »

I am waiting to hear from the Indianapolis Symphony folk about this "Sibling Revelry" cabaret to pops concert conversion. I've had a trip to NYPL at Lincoln Center, a stop at a new bakery on 72nd Street, a stop at the new location for the bakery Crumbs, a trip to the drug store, Verizon to pay my bill, and the market. I'm ready for DR Ben's visit.

I also got a nice email from Ron Raines' wife Dona about my dream last night. She said she had always hoped she'd had second child, preferably a brother for Charlotte. I don't know if she ever mentioned that to me and I'd forgotten or if my subconscious wished Charlotte a brother, although I'm sure Dona is thinking about brothers and sisters at the moment since she's currently directing a production of the opera HANSEL AND GRETEL.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »

TOD:

DVR:
I know I recorded some ancient films off of TCM, but have forgotten what they were.

DVD:
Big Lots got in another swell pallet of movies for cheep, so I have some westerns to watch such as THE CIMMARON KID (Audie Murphy/Beverly Tyler) and THE LAWLESS BREED (Rock Hudson/Race Gentry)

I also have some Rin Tin Tin type movies and a documentary on Peter Berlin from Netflix to watch. Sounds like I will be in front of the TV all weekend!

Thanks for the tip on Big Lots.

I just went there and picked up 2 WHV box sets for $6.00 each: The Sidney Poitier Collection and Laurel & Hardy Collection.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ben

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2010, 11:53:01 AM »

I am waiting to hear from the Indianapolis Symphony folk about this "Sibling Revelry" cabaret to pops concert conversion. I've had a trip to NYPL at Lincoln Center, a stop at a new bakery on 72nd Street, a stop at the new location for the bakery Crumbs, a trip to the drug store, Verizon to pay my bill, and the market. I'm ready for DR Ben's visit.

I also got a nice email from Ron Raines' wife Dona about my dream last night. She said she had always hoped she'd had second child, preferably a brother for Charlotte. I don't know if she ever mentioned that to me and I'd forgotten or if my subconscious wished Charlotte a brother, although I'm sure Dona is thinking about brothers and sisters at the moment since she's currently directing a production of the opera HANSEL AND GRETEL.

Oh, my!!! What will I get when I arrive at Dear Larry's? My taste buds are a-tingle. He gets CDs and I get pie (or something else equally wonderful). Good trade I think.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »

Here's today's AS THE WORLD TURNS idiocy: Lily says she's going to Marseilles to check on this fraudulent cosmetics company, on which her manipulative mother conned her into losing her money, and within 15 minutes she's in France Europe! Of course, the town she lives in is a short walk from New York and Chicago so I guess any travel flukes involving the laws of geography and physics aren't applicable. No wonder these moronic soaps are folding.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »

I've been browsing the book section of the new Costco magazine.  Two books are of interest.  Has anyone read THE LANGUAGE OF TREES by Ruby or WHILE I'M FALLING by Moriarty?

Jane

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2010, 12:12:03 PM »

They are staining right outside where I'm sitting.  I need to go to another part of the house & take Sherlock with me before we get sick.

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »

TOD:

DVR:
I know I recorded some ancient films off of TCM, but have forgotten what they were.

DVD:
Big Lots got in another swell pallet of movies for cheep, so I have some westerns to watch such as THE CIMMARON KID (Audie Murphy/Beverly Tyler) and THE LAWLESS BREED (Rock Hudson/Race Gentry)

I also have some Rin Tin Tin type movies and a documentary on Peter Berlin from Netflix to watch. Sounds like I will be in front of the TV all weekend!

Thanks for the tip on Big Lots.

I just went there and picked up 2 WHV box sets for $6.00 each: The Sidney Poitier Collection and Laurel & Hardy Collection.

I had forgetton that I picked up those as well! I was thrilled to find that all the Poitier movies in that set were ones that I had not yet seen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »

Everything is shipped, and helper has taken a lot of boxes and labels and invoices home with her - so we'll each be doing half of this humungous UK Promises order.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2010, 12:25:38 PM »

Mr. Geissman will be here shortly to hang pictures.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »

I tend to think "spare" when hanging pictures, and therefore there's usually one picture per wall and when you've got a lot of stuff sitting on the floor wishing it could be up on the wall where people could see it, then how the wall space is used is key - and Grant is brilliant at it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up