Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MATCH ME, SIDNEY  (Read 8715 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MATCH ME, SIDNEY
« on: August 14, 2010, 11:57:26 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had the sweet smell of success, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - we'll know when they're here because they'll have the sweet smell of the cows.  "Moo me, Sidney."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: MATCH ME, SIDNEY
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:58:04 PM »

And the word of the day is: MOIL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:00:54 AM »

As promised, our new release, which I cannot recommend highly enough.  You know the routine - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

“L.A. IS…”

KRITZERLAND IS PROUD TO PRESENT A LIMITED EDITION CD:

BILLY BARNES L.A.
Original Cast Album (and more!)
Music and Lyrics by Billy Barnes

After the rousing success of The Billy Barnes Revue and The Billy Barnes People (both of which traveled from L.A. to Broadway), Billy Barnes L.A. opened at the Coronet on October 10, 1962, and, as always, the LA critics and audiences ate it up.  Obviously an LA-centric show was not going to be traveling to Broadway, but Billy was LA and LA loved Billy’s shows (and Bob Rodgers was an integral part of them as both sketch writer and director).  The show skewered all things LA back then – some of the references probably won’t make sense now, but they’re still a lot of fun and, as always, the songs are melodic, infectious, and reflect Billy’s impish personality and wit.  “The Akron,” for example, was a classic budget LA store – sort of an LA version of Target.   And to prove that Billy was not always about impish and sly, the show features a wonderful Billy ballad, “Does Anybody Here Love Me?”

The show received the usual critical love letters – “Madly funny” said the LA Times.  “Uproarious… Delightful funsters” said the Herald-Examiner.  “Billy Barnes is Hollywood’s most talented revue commentator” said the Hollywood Reporter.  “Genuinely entertaining… Bright, fast-paced, replete with clever lyrics” said Variety.  Even Louella Parsons chimed in with “Something no one should miss.”

Billy Barnes, LA native, has been writing brilliant special material for decades.  He also wrote the classic June Christy song, “Something Cool” as well as the Barbra Streisand classic, “Too Long at the Fair,” which was on her debut album.  In addition to his classic revues, Billy spent years doing the music for TV’s Laugh-In, as well as writing special material for any number of network TV specials, as well as for specific celebrities. 

There was a previous CD release of Billy Barnes L.A. back in 1994 – we’ve cleaned up the sound as much as possible given the limitation of the original recording tapes, and we’ve added five great bonus tracks from a live show at Studio One, a nightclub in West Hollywood, where Billy and Marvin Laird were at the twin pianos singing some wonderful Billy songs, including an updated (to then) “L.A. Is,” with lyrics reflecting the quite different LA of the 1970s – massage parlors, Mr. Chow’s, coke (not the beverage), the Roxy, the Whiskey A Go Go, and even Studio One.

They simply don’t know how to write this sort of revue anymore.  But, thanks to this CD, we all can get in our LA time machine and travel back to a more innocent time, a time when Los Angeles was fun and weird and wonderful, a time that Billy (and Bob Rodgers) capture perfectly in their perfectly perfect time capsule called Billy Barnes L.A.

This release is limited to 1000 copies.   The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the third week of September – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »

And the cast is so wonderful - Joyce Jameson, Ken Berry, Steve Franken, Tom Hatten, Marlyn Mason, and Sylvia Lewis.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »

I celebrate being in BK's neck of the woods with a first post-BK post.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »

All I can say is if you came to this Bar Mitzvah party not knowing the Bar Mitzvah boy's mother was Production Manager on 'Cheers' (and a ton of other shows) and his father is a leading editor of film trailers, you would by the time you left.   Every jot and tittle (so to speak) was "produced", with a DJ and a candy theme running through the country club, and the video homage to the Bar Mitzvah boy was brilliantly edited (and even featured that famous voiceover guy--I can't remember his name, the one that does a lot of trailers these days).  Nothing like an L.A. Bar Mitzvah.  Oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 01:00:07 AM »

Ordered the CD!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 04:51:59 AM »

As promised, our new release, which I cannot recommend highly enough.  You know the routine - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

“L.A. IS…”

KRITZERLAND IS PROUD TO PRESENT A LIMITED EDITION CD:

BILLY BARNES L.A.
Original Cast Album (and more!)
Music and Lyrics by Billy Barnes

Not knowing that Billy Barnes LA was the next title to be released I was sampling "Billy Barnes Revued" cast album late last night.

One of a song was "Do A Revue" which I believe BK used in his revue called "What If?" (The short sampling didn't have a section I recognized though

So I guess it was destiny to buy this release.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 05:00:20 AM »

And the cast is so wonderful - Joyce Jameson, Ken Berry, Steve Franken, Tom Hatten, Marlyn Mason, and Sylvia Lewis.

I recognized Ken Berry, Marlyn Mason, and Steve Franken.
Tom Hatten and Joyce Jameson sound familiar but not sure who they are.

I have a Ken Berry story that was a very embarrassing moment for me.

Steven Franken was a busy 60's/70's/80's character actor who was a favorite. He's still working. One of my favorites performance was in Blake Edward's The Party

Marlyn Mason was also favorite character who was worked from the 60's-80's and beyond. I remember her most from the TV version of Brigadoon.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:23:32 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 05:25:01 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  I am experimenting with self-sufficiency today - Richard's off to Lima for church and Rob is driving back from a weekend in Michigan with Mary Linda's family.  Two of my girlfriends and my sister-in-law are all aware that I'm here and their numbers are in my cell phone's speed dial.  One of the friends is a retired physician and my SiL is a dental hygienist and non-practicing EMT.  I plan not to need any of them, but it's good to know they're there.  The solitude is kind of refreshing...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 05:42:10 AM »

Ordered...but I called it BILLY BARNES REVUE on the order.

:-[
You can dream…or you can do.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 05:45:01 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 06:05:07 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  I am experimenting with self-sufficiency today - Richard's off to Lima for church and Rob is driving back from a weekend in Michigan with Mary Linda's family.  Two of my girlfriends and my sister-in-law are all aware that I'm here and their numbers are in my cell phone's speed dial.  One of the friends is a retired physician and my SiL is a dental hygienist and non-practicing EMT.  I plan not to need any of them, but it's good to know they're there.  The solitude is kind of refreshing...

Enjoy your chance to be alone and just BE!
I like boat races.

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 06:18:27 AM »

Thanks, DR Kerry!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

KevinH

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 06:44:46 AM »

Good Morning! It's a cloudy day in Northern Virginia.

KevinH

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 06:48:47 AM »

Does anyone watch Come Dine with Me on BBC America ?   Four strangers make dinner for each other and then rate each other from 1 to 10.  The one with the hightest total wins 1000 pounds.    I find it very entertaining (and I don't eat 80% of the food that they make, being a vegetarian).

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 06:53:33 AM »

And the word of the day is: MOIL!

And The Song Of The Day Is: I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THE RAILROAD

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 07:07:27 AM »

Billly Barnes has been ordered.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »

I have a Ken Berry story too.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept until 8:30. At some point during the night, the oaf and his lady friend - I never know if it's the same lady or, given his track record when he was in school and using the dog as a Central Park chick magnet - showed up, noisily enough to be heard through the ear plugs. So, I awoke at 8:55 or so and decided I needed more sleep. I got out of bed around 8:30, and I've bathed, had some breakfast and my meds, run all of my neighborhood errands, and I'm ready to begin some writing on the works of Mr Victor Herbert.

I am having a helluva time with the preface to the Second Volume of BABES IN TOYLAND. I know what I want to say about Otto Langey's commercial stock orchestra arrangements for "hotel" groups (12 players) and larger orchestras of 25 players or more, but it's not going easily to paper.

As to THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER, I will be seeing Mr Skip Kennon at some point this week, which will be fun, and I have some editing and answers to some questions for him and the copyists.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »

I just heard from Joshie. He's back from a week in Florida, and that means gossip and a visit soon.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »

Good morning.  I have no gossip.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 08:50:54 AM »

As for the WORD OF THE DAY, I learned "moil" when, in  a speech class, we had to memorize Robert W. Service's poem, "The Cremation of Sam McGee."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 08:58:47 AM »

Today is International Day here, where they serve free food from all kinds of different countries.  Oddly enought most countries seem to serve the exact same food every year. But it's still yummy!

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:07 AM »

I need to do more reading, eat lunch and bike before the event.

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:27 AM »

Interesting stuff going on in the big brother house for those who read/watch the live feeds!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 09:09:17 AM »

Actually the What If song was called We'll Do a Revue and was mine - but the whole of What If was a deliberate throwback to Billy's shows.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »

I'm up, barely.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »

Hey everybody.  That's all I have to say. 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:58 AM »

One more.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up