Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: STARTING HERE, STARTING NOW  (Read 11385 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: STARTING HERE, STARTING NOW
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to former dear reader Hisaka, who, I believe, is back in Japan for the time being.

I was thinking about her the other day & meant to ask if she was still here.

For Hisaka,

MBarnum

« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »

Here is the first Dolores Hitchen's (D. B. Olsen) book I read. If you like mysteries, this was certainly a good one!

MBarnum

« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »

This one will need to be the next of her dime novels that I read!

Jane

« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2010, 04:01:13 PM »

Happy Birthday, Hisaka! (left to right:  Nick Redman, Julie Kirgo, Julieanne Pogue, Yours Truly, Hisaka)

Thanks for the photos. :)

Jane

« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »

On Saturday, I bought three jelly doughnuts at Miss Donuts and brought them home on the plane to DR Sandra. It's a tradition.

She was at the door waiting for me to come home.

;D

Jane

« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »

Those who've read the Kritzer books know what my first donuts were and know that the taste and smell of them are etched in my memory forever - Helm's from the Helms truck, delivered fresh every day to one's neighborhood.  You'd hear the whistle, run outside, and there they would be in drawers, waiting for you to purchase.  The best chocolate and glazed donuts ever.

Yup!

Jane

« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »

I'm getting hungry for a donut now!

So am I. ;D

Jane

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »

TOD - I have a weakness for a good apple fritter.  You can keep the rest

Stan's in Westwood:  http://www.stansdoughnuts.com/assortedgourmet.html
The photo doesn't do them justice.

Jane

« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »

DR Jane did you ever watch any episodes of the GLADES? I am still watching it and still really like it a lot.

I never started because we missed the first few and then I forgot to watch for reruns.  If you see the series is beginning again please let me know.  Otherwise I'll have to try & remember to watch for the DVD.

Jane

« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »

Btw, i've read the first 3 books (of 6) of the LISA GARDNER FBI PROFILER series. And so far i really like this series too. Although the 2nd and 3rd books were much better than the 1st (the first was still pretty good - you get to know the FBI Profiler).

I think it will be the next book I read.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2010, 04:25:36 PM »

I was listening to SHSN just before I clicked onto HHW. I am now on Crossword Puzzle.

Has anyone heard the London Cast album?

Yes, it's in my library.  There are more songs on it than the Off-Broadway version.  I think it's on iTunes.  But if it isn't, let me know :)

Matthew

« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »

I had my first Beard Papa recently, a cream puff from Japan. I'm afraid I wasn't overwhelmed, which is actually a good thing.

It's definatley nothing to be overwhmened about unless you enjoy tasteless cream and a bunch of hype.

DR Matthew - Have you been hanging around DR vixmom lately? ;)

iPhone post.  Not the best way to post. Can someone make a HHW app please!!!

Jane

« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »

According to the DP, the apple fritter is made from scraps of old donuts and mixed together with an apple filling thing and then deep fried.  Can't think of anything better.

Or worse for you ;)  It is good we don't make it to Stan's very often.

Jane

« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2010, 04:28:24 PM »

Back from cardiac rehab, where my workout has been stepped up a notch.  The driving went fine and I even stopped at Kathryn's to inhale the Vera Bradley a bit.  Didn't buy anything, just visited.

That's great your rehab is progressing so well.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK VIBES!!!

Jane

« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »

I don't think bookstores in Oregon will ever go the way of the dinosaur. They are just too beloved.

I hope you are right.  We enjoy our local bookstores very much. 

Ginny

« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »

Thanks, DR Jane - I am determined to emerge from this experience in better shape that I went in.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matthew

« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2010, 04:30:54 PM »

According to the DP, the apple fritter is made from scraps of old donuts and mixed together with an apple filling thing and then deep fried.  Can't think of anything better.

Or worse for you ;)  It is good we don't make it to Stan's very often.

The DP doesn't make donuts.  THIS is what he does.  At work, that is. 

Jane

« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »

I have returned from a half day of work, followed by a Ginsu Knife demonstration on my armpit.

Wishes you will now heal quickly!!!!

Jane

« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »

I think the only thing interesting about Barnes and Noble are there discount remaindered books.  Other than that it is another undisintinguished chain that carries only the best sellers and most popular and has limited variety.  No different than a Borders or anywhere else.  I've peculiar taste and the books I want to buy (those that aren't used), I can get through Amazon cheaper and easier.   I miss the excitement of the hunt and browsing a bookstore, but the truth is, except for a few independents, they all carry the same stuff and it's all fairly mainstream.

The truly sad thing is the loss of the used bookstore, but I'm sure for most of those dealers, it's easier to go online without the overhead of maintaining a shop.  With the demise of interesting book and record stores, shopping has sure gotten boring.

Did you ever go to the original Borders in Ann Arbor?

Jane

« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2010, 04:33:59 PM »

My back is doing much better. I'd say it's up to like 70%. And I am able to bike again.

:D

Jane

« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »

Yesterday DR Jane wrote:
We took our friend to see SHE LOVES ME and she loved it.  Even Keith said it was the best play we saw all season.   The female lead had a terrific voice.

I am so jealous. I love this musical but have never seen it live. I used to listen to the Ruthie Henshall version over and over ...

For a very small glimpse of the show go to http://www.orshakes.org/ and open the poster with the guy wearing a hat & holding a rose, then watch the video.  The sound isn't very good & had I seen this I might not have purchased tickets.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »

Matthew S: Regarding your message from last night:
"Even though I haven't gotten around to watching Mad Men, I see that Robert Morse is on the series. I thought it would have been really cool if they called him J. Pierpont Finch and his wife's name would be Rosemary."

There are several parallels between Morse's character and J. Pierpont Finch. I think the New York Times did an article about that shortly after the show premiered.

Actually it was Michael S who posted that last night :-)
Sorry, It was a little too early for me this morning. Or this morning came a little too early. Or something like that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2010, 04:45:25 PM »

TOD:  When I was in college at the University of Kentucky, there was an all-night doughnut shop less than a mile from campus called Tastee-O's.  We'd walk there late at night to get fresh doughnuts.  There was also a great doughnut shop, alas no more, in a mini-mall on Franklin right before the Hollywood freeway entrance at Argyle that served best apple fritters.
So, when were you at UK?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »

I was listening to SHSN just before I clicked onto HHW. I am now on Crossword Puzzle.

Has anyone heard the London Cast album?
I've got a copy of the London album. A little more music. But somehow the sound isn't as full as the original.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »

Yesterday DR Jane wrote:
We took our friend to see SHE LOVES ME and she loved it.  Even Keith said it was the best play we saw all season.   The female lead had a terrific voice.

I am so jealous. I love this musical but have never seen it live. I used to listen to the Ruthie Henshall version over and over ...
Blue Gobo is now featuring Ruthie singing "Ice Cream"

http://www.bluegobo.com/

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2010, 04:57:03 PM »

Second to the last day of work and I sort of wish it had been the last. There was plenty of work, but no one was in the mood to get much done. I'd rather have it done with so I can move on. Guess that will happen soon enough, though.
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »

I don't eat donuts very often, but I sure do like Krispy Kreme donuts when I do treat myself to one.

DR Laura, last night while I was watching SOUTH PACIFIC, every time Bloody Mary yelled "stingy bastard!" I thought of you. You should have auditioned to be her standby.

LOL, DR Elmore, I thought the same thing when I watched South Pacific

Ginny

« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2010, 05:18:26 PM »

I think the only thing interesting about Barnes and Noble are there discount remaindered books.  Other than that it is another undisintinguished chain that carries only the best sellers and most popular and has limited variety.  No different than a Borders or anywhere else.  I've peculiar taste and the books I want to buy (those that aren't used), I can get through Amazon cheaper and easier.   I miss the excitement of the hunt and browsing a bookstore, but the truth is, except for a few independents, they all carry the same stuff and it's all fairly mainstream.

The truly sad thing is the loss of the used bookstore, but I'm sure for most of those dealers, it's easier to go online without the overhead of maintaining a shop.  With the demise of interesting book and record stores, shopping has sure gotten boring.

Did you ever go to the original Borders in Ann Arbor?

DR Jane - do you mean the hole-in-the-wall used bookstore that was run by the Border brothers?  I shopped there in the early '70s.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:34:45 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2010, 05:26:34 PM »

The best doughnuts I've ever had were at an Amish farm house in Wisconsin.  The woman making them had just taken them out of the pan over a wood fire. She had them on a long dowel.  We gorged ourselves....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up