Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM  (Read 76197 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2004, 12:02:49 PM »

PAGE THREE DANCE!!!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2004, 12:03:36 PM »

Oh my, as long as we're getting all personal here... I used to fall "in love" at the drop of a hat, though it seldom led anywhere.  Well, by the time I saw my Joe walking in the park some 23 years ago, I was more on my guard when I phoned my dear friend Debby that evening.  She asked, "Are you in love?"  "I'm... in like," I responded.  (Oh, a prescient Kritzer Time reference!)  And look what happend!

On that afternoon in the park, I mentioned I had just bought a house, Joe mentioned he was a professional mover, I mentioned I was a math professor, Joe mentioned he had just enrolled in college and was taking his first math course in seven years.  Well,  wasn't that the perfect set-up?  I tutored him, he moved me.  Twenty years later we bought a house together.  But his math is still lousey, let me tell you.  But love beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
(Oh, a St. Paul reference!)

And now for something completely different.

I had mentioned before on these boards the Angel Jim who helped Joe survive his recent ordeal.  We have been in touch with Jim's family recently, had his wife and three younger kids over to our place for a Sunday, and this weekend Joe decided to do some yard cleanup.  With an acre of property, this has become much more of a chore than in our other house.  Last year we hired professionals at exorbitant cost.  This year, we asked Jim's 15-year-old son to help out, and on Sunday he and Joe worked the better part of the day raking up 51 bags of leaves (just short of a full deck), for which we paid him handsomely.  But this time the money seemed much better spent.

By the bye, if all of y'all have any extra vibes hanging around, I'd appreciate them for Jim, that he should be released soon and be back with his family.  It can't be easy for the kids when people ask about their father.  So Joe made a special point of telling the elder one how much respect he had for his Dad, how much he helped him when he was away, and that he told him he was extremely proud of his son.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 12:05:23 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2004, 12:05:05 PM »

I just received a very interesting invitation!

I think everyone here knows that I've been posting over at a food site for some time, about Rehoboth Beach restaurants.  Well, the food critic from one of the state's newspapers has asked der Brucer and myself to join him for dinner some time soon!  Apparently he's been enjoying my posts and has decided we would make good company while he works.

We meet the most interesting people over the Internet, I must say!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2004, 12:05:55 PM »

I reduced the size of Miss Hayes on page two, so I don't think that page should be stretched now!

Great dance, DR JENNIFER!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2004, 12:07:32 PM »

DR WFO, every time you tell a story about Jim you make me cry.  What a lovely thing you guys did.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2004, 12:08:52 PM »

Thanks DR JRand: I think DR Jane and I are not completely obsessed with the gifs!

Oh I forgot, good vibes for Jim ~~~~~~~~~~~~.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2004, 12:08:59 PM »

DR Jennifer, that dance is absolutely scandalous!

I LOVE IT!

(Hmmm, need to find another word, maybe...oh well!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2004, 12:13:04 PM »

--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2004, 12:17:54 PM »

You can't hurry love.
No, you just have to wait.
She said love don't come easy.
It's a game of give and take.

You can't hurry love.
No, you just have to wait.
You got to trust, give it time
No matter how long it takes.
--Wayland Flowers

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2004, 12:17:57 PM »

WFO, your story about Angel Jim and his kids brought tears to my eyes. As terrible as those days were for Joe, some good did come of it, as Angel Jim's children were blessed by the love you showed to them. Hearing someone tell how great his dad is must have been very special to a teenage boy.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2004, 12:23:36 PM »

The other girl in the photo looks like Leslie Parrish to me.  Anyone else think so?

I've just been informed that The DVD Place is going away, along with all the other allaccessworld.com sites, save for broadwayworld.com.  This is sort of annoying as I was talked into creating my DVD site there - I was originally going to create a site for Nick and I to host.  I don't feel that they did what was necessary to get the word out.  So, I have no idea how long it will be up, or whether I'll be able to move it somewhere else without starting from scratch.  The fellow does acknowledge that the DVD site is the only one that gets steady traffic and that he'll think about putting that back up at the end of the year.  Not.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2004, 12:34:39 PM »

A Question:

Does anyone know if the Bounce CD is in the stores yet?
--Wayland Flowers

Ben

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2004, 12:41:27 PM »

My first post of the day. My, what thoughtful and excellent posts there are today.

I agree w/Panni. You can't just "fall out of love" People do change and move away or apart, but if you fall out of love in a week after two weeks of being in love,  IMHO, you weren't in love, you were, as MBarnum so aptly put it, in infatuation. Or Limerance. Remeber that term? I don't remember the specifics of it, but it was in fashion, I think, in the 70s.

Regarding falling out of love, AKA getting over someone. I've had two real and important relationships in my adult life. I'm still in this one w/my Anthony (and plan to be in it for the rest of my life from my lips to G*ds ears). The other one did take some time to get over.  I think we were both "in love" at the time but, quoting Panni again, we grew apart and things changed. I was less prepared for the end then he was and it took me a good, long time to face facts. Now we are good friends and I think that's what we were meant to be. We had some marvelous times as a couple but we were meant to be friends, not lovers. I do, however, believe that people can grow and change and if the couple grow and change and mature while going down the same path, they will, most likely, remain together. The breakups and "falling out of love" come when the changes and growth don't mesh. I feel like I'm rambling right now so I'll stop and perhaps return to the topic later.

WFO, your story about Joe and Angel Jim and his son is very moving. Thank you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2004, 12:53:41 PM »

Leslie was prettier - but I am not sure (neither was Kenny) that it is Jill.  Here she is with Sal Mineo.  8)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2004, 12:57:46 PM »

If we want to get really innalekshul about it, I think C. S. Lewis's The Four Loves breaks it down nicely.  He points out that ancient Greek had four different words, all of which translate as "love" in English.

Eros:  Erotic love, infatuation, "being in love" (Oh, a Meredith Willson reference!)

Philia:  Friendship.  (Oh, a Cole Porter reference!)

Storge:  Familial love, the love we hold for pets, familiar places and people.

Agape:  The higher love, love of God, love of humanity.

Many relationships, according to Lewis, are a mixture of these.  In particular Eros can be overwhelming, but it is not the sole basis for a long-term relationship without philia and eventually storge.
--Wayland Flowers

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2004, 01:00:48 PM »

My apologies for being E & T yesterday, but the day turned into a computer virus / worm day for me.  When I got to work at seven, yesterday morning, I was told that we were experiencing some computer glitches.  Within about twenty minutes, it became obvious that the State computer system was infected with the dreaded Sasser Virus that started out in Russia on Sunday night.  Our entire computer system was down for the whole day.  In the past, that would not have been a problem, because a lot of my job could be done on paper,  but since they installed the new computer programs, all of the data I need to do my job is now only available on the computer.

After work, I decided to stop by Office Depot and pick up the latest edition of Anti-Virus software for my home computer.  I had downloaded a program from the internet a couple of years ago, but I had never been very confident that it was doing the job.  And since Danise’s computer woes last week seemed to fit all of the symptoms of Sasser, I thought it was probably better to be safe than sorry.  After five hours of searching, the software ended up locating seven viruses on my home computer (none of them Sasser), so I guess it was money well spent.

I must confess that I spent Sunday evening and last evening watching 10.5.  I knew, going in, that it would probably be pretty stupid, rather cheesy, and be a very cheaply made film; but I didn’t care, I like really LOVE disaster films.  Actually, I thought story-wise and character–wise, it was no worse than, say, Earthquake.  However, since it was a TV movie, the special effects were really far-below bargain basement (think Plan 9).  AND, of course, there were a lot of rather strange and illogical plot holes, many of them even larger than the San Andreas Fault, but I didn't mind those either.  At the same time, who could help but be moved by the scene where Fred Ward, trapped one hundred feet below the surface of the earth with a nuclear warhead sitting on his chest (don’t ask), finally tells his son (played by Crossing Jordan’s Ivan Sergei) that he loves him.   All in all, a fine waste of four hours that might otherwise have been spent reading smutty books.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2004, 01:09:54 PM »

Panni, Stoppard is, indeed, brilliant.  And despite that old inaccurate chestnut about him being cool and intellectual, he is perhaps one of the most emotional and passionate writers I know. You just have to be smart to appreciate his passion.

Stoppard and Peter Shaffer are maybe my two favourite writers writing today.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2004, 01:10:09 PM »

Well, my Joe and I certainly love disaster movies, monster movies, and all the old and recent tawdry ones especially.  Our Saturday nights are usually spent with SciFi's creature feature--a new one every week at 9 preceded by two or three on the same theme--last weekend it was all bee movies, B bee movies at that.  And do you know, even in South America, the mayor of the town refused to cancel the festival when he was informed the virus-laden wasps were coming!

Joe read that 10.5 was on and we were thinking of watching till we read "...attempted to head it off with a nuclear explosion" and we thought, "Not again!"  We've even stopped watching anything entitled Stephen King's... since he ceased to be a writer and morphed into a registered trademark.
--Wayland Flowers

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2004, 01:14:37 PM »

I would be remiss if I did not add the two thoughts that popped into my head as soon as I read today's TOD.  And since I have already written my serious, senitmental one, here we go:

Love makes the world go 'round. (Oooooh!  A Bob Merrill reference!)

and

Love makes the world go square.  (Oooooh!  A Richard Rodgers reference!)

Whew!  I am glad I got those off my chest!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2004, 01:14:59 PM »

Today is the street date for BOUNCE and I'll be very disappointed it it is not in stores.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2004, 01:24:50 PM »

It might be a little while before I get BOUNCE.  But anyone who does get it please post ASAP.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2004, 01:32:23 PM »

Watched the first 50 minutes of A NIGHT AT THE OPERA on videotape. On it, despite the low resolution, I see no real problems with the master used for the tape transfer. Yes, there are some abrupt cuts, and I assume these were done at some point during the film's many reissues down through the years to satisfy some censorship group or other.

So, I can't wait to get my Marx Bros. box so I can examine the DVD of the film and see what all the profane shouting is about as far as how bad the element was to make the transfer. Should be interesting. I was devastated that the box didn't come in the mail today.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 01:37:22 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2004, 01:33:52 PM »

Didn't someone mention that BOUNCE was going for 19.99$ on amazon.com.  I just checked and it says 14.99$!

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2004, 01:35:57 PM »

Oh btw, no wonder I'm getting compliments on my Hawaiian dance guy. I didn't realize what I was posting! :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2004, 01:39:48 PM »

No, Jennifer, I said it had a LIST price of $19.99 at Amazon. I acknowledged that they were charging slightly less but it was $16.99 when I checked this morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2004, 01:40:50 PM »

But our reaction to Hawaiian Guy is more like  :o and  ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 01:41:33 PM by S. Woody White »

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2004, 01:41:55 PM »

BK and JRand53, I am pretty sure that is Leslie Parrish in that photo..in fact I think that is the reason it was posted...but I can't be sure. I  can't even recall who posted it originally now! LOL!

John Ashley...LOL! Of course! Who else!

By the way, Connie Stevens does NOT want to be interviewed about Hawaiian Eye! Just thought I would share.

JRand53, I don't supposed you would like to interview Robert Conrad or Edd Byrnes would you????

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2004, 01:45:05 PM »

JRand53, I don't supposed you would like to interview Robert Conrad or Edd Byrnes would you????

Personally, I wouldn't mind interviewing Robert Conrad!  And a good friend of mine shares my enthusiastic opinion!

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2004, 01:55:42 PM »

Ah okay DR MattH I see what you must have said. All I remembered was the mention of amazon and the 19.99$ price.  It is interesting how they change it (btw, if anyone ordered it at the higher price just email them and they will give you the money back).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2004, 02:02:21 PM »

Hmmmmmmmm....Connie wants to forget Hawaiian Eye - huh?  Well I suppose now that she is big cosmetics mogul she can forget all about her WB past.

Robert Conrad is a pill....but I like Edd Byrnes!  Remember the front flip he does at the end of Hand Jive in GREASE?  Watch him....he does a gymnastic move into the last shot!

BTW MBARNUM Kenny Miller says he is looking forward to reading your interview.

It might be Leslie Parrish, Mr BK would know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up