Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CINCO DE MUSTARD  (Read 95778 times)

Jennifer

Re:CINCO DE MUSTARD
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2004, 10:40:44 AM »

DR Ben, I have not seen Wicked, but I wonder if Idina really has a shot to win a Tony.  Kristin seems to be the one most people talk about in that show.

Also, I wonder if Donna Murphy isn't the favorite.  I saw her do Wonderful Town when it was at Encores and she was wonderful.  And she seems to be who a lot of people are saying will win.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2004, 10:42:22 AM »

In my Geology class today, I will get to see two girls do an interpretive dance about the Geologic time scale. I am really looking forward to this. I opted to write a poem instead, mainly because that doesn't have to be performed. So I don't know if I just had the Geologic time scale on my mind on Thursday, or if my English teacher was wearing trilobite earrings. I really wouldn't be surprised if she was. Sometimes I think she's the teacher from The Magic Schoolbus.

The hee-uh count for today was 68, quite remarkable considering we started class about five minutes late.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2004, 10:43:37 AM »

DR George, you are so sweet to thank everyone individually.

Well, thank you...but it's also to get me to 1000 posts more quickly! ;)  But I really do appreciate the birthday wishes. :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2004, 10:43:37 AM »

Okay now let's have the Page Four Genie Dance!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2004, 10:44:54 AM »

Panni, not to beat a horse muerte, but you'd already expressed yours in a previous post.  That is what made your subsequent post seem like you thought he was speaking for you (again, look at the wording in your post).  That is all.  Over and out.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2004, 10:44:55 AM »

And happy birthday to Dear Reader George and to Dear Lurker HollyLynn.

Someone is printing a lot of papers and the printer is making the same noise my cat Tumbly makes in his sleep. Dear Reader Laura will know what I'm talking about.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2004, 10:46:30 AM »

And almost a Bacharach one too!  ;)

Oooooooh! Got me!  Yes!  Indeedy!  Bacharach!!!

You have a delicate touch, Maya.  You should go into the diplomatic corps!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2004, 10:46:48 AM »

My Ask BK question:  do you ever watch the daily talk shows, like Oprah and/or Dr. Phil?  Do you have a favorite?

No, I never watch talk shows.  I don't think I've seen a daytime talk show since Mike Douglas.  I think I watched half a Rosie once, and I do admit to tuning into what was the latest incarnation of The Donny and Marie Show a few years ago.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »

A question for all: If you could choose one, and only one, film that you wish had never been made, which one would it be?

Giving a reason why is optional, of course.

Triumph of the Will.  My reasoning should be self-evident.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2004, 10:53:17 AM »

You know, I feel that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.  Just perusing other sites I think none can boast of nearly 100 posts before eleven o'clock.  Not that we are boasting of our posting, that would be unseemly.   No boasts of our posts here - except, of course, the content, which IS the finest on all the Internet.  I think if fairness to us, we are the berries.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2004, 10:54:46 AM »

All right, dear reader Panni has convinced me that we should lunch on the authentic food of Meheeco, so that we'll be doing.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2004, 11:01:01 AM »

Olé!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2004, 11:03:41 AM »

I shall be having my favorite dish of Old Meheeco - frijoles muerte or, for those of you not schooled in the language of Old Meheeco, dead beans.

Panni

« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2004, 11:07:22 AM »

Panni, not to beat a horse muerte,

The horse is at the glue factory. Over and out.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2004, 11:12:29 AM »

"She lives in Newfoundland. I think they eat seal peckerhead there. So she may take that as a compliment."

By any chance, Panni, does your xmil live in the town of Dildo?

(No, DRs, I am NOT making that up.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 11:59:45 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2004, 11:23:21 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, DRGEORGE!!!  ;D[/move]

Welcome to DRHOLLYLYNN.  ;)

While I think a lot of the choreography in XANADU is bad, there are some nice moments as well.  And I do love Olivia in it.  It's very nice how she sings her big song at the end "Suspended in Time" and the camera really doesn't do anything except get closer and closer to her ending on her face.  I like that song.  And I also think it is interesting to see the women who play the muses - including Sandahl Bergman - who are obviously trained dancers - not street dancers a step above lap dancers and strippers (see MOST music videos).  Ortega didn't know what to do with them, but the training shows.

GREASE - that dumb kid's glasses were the WRONG style....those glasses he wore were not sold until the 1970's - I lost the sense of time period when he showed up....AND did you see Edd Byrnes' front flip at the end of hand jive!!  ;D

Movie I wish had never been made....hmmmmmmmm....have to think about that.

My question for ASK BK day:  How do they broadcast movies on television?  I know years ago they used to use a projection device called a telecine that actually used the move on reels....do they use tapes or DVD's now?  What is the technology?

Good vibes on your Psychic Radio Show...when does your movie start?  Do you know your lines?  :P

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2004, 11:25:10 AM »

Oh DR CP - I will recount Frank'ssssssssssss death if you like but it will spoil it for you if you're planning on watching EL CID anytime soon.

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2004, 11:25:52 AM »

Mexican food sounds great.  I could sure use me some chicken enchiladas!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2004, 11:26:06 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR George!!

The contestants on AI most definitely choose their own songs from a list provided by the producers. If, after working with the song the vocal coach decides the song just isn't right for the performer, she will try to dissuade him from singing it, but in the end, the final decision rests with the singer and the singer alone.

Charles, I once again reiterate that what seems overdone and overly familiar to us over-50 year olds is not to the remainder of the vast AMERICAN IDOL audience. Gershwin, Berlin, Porter, Kern, and Rodgers mean very, very little to most of the under-50 crowd that AMERICAN IDOL so covets.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2004, 11:27:55 AM »

Re: Best Actress in a musical... this is one of the reasons I think pitting performers against one another is ridiculous.  Throw in the fact that many out-of-town Tony voters will vote for whatever and whomever might play their town, and you can see how foolish this whole competition is.  (Excepting the out-of-town voters, I feel the same about the Oscars, Emmies, Pia Zadoras --- I mean Golden Globes ---, etc.)  That said, all four of these women are wonderful, and you could handicap the race any way.  Performances aside, Donna and Kristin both miss a lot of shows (that hurt Bernadette last year) and both are leaving their shows soon.  Tonya received a lot of bad press when she fell behind in her child support.  Only Idina has never won.  Had Kristen & Idina been nominated for a joint award like Alice & Emily, there would have been no beating them.  And although the women involved in both WICKED and CAROLINE got good reviews, the shows themself did not.  The public likes WICKED and it is selling out, although if you asked many theatregoers who the two stars were they might not be able to tell you their names (but would rave about the flying monkeys).  No matter who wins this award, she will deserve it as much as, but no more than, the other three.  That is not usually the case.  Mandelbaum starts writing about the Tonys a year in advance and places too much emphasis on them.  I think he is wrong in calling this particular Best Musical race as a competition between just two ladies.  The field is much stronger than it has been in years.  My one prediction is that it will be one of these four actresses and not whomever is chosen for the 5th nomination.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2004, 11:31:49 AM »

A friend of mine connected to the current revival of A RAISIN IN THE SUN told me that P Diddy has an earpiece through which he gets his lines, blocking, and cues fed nightly. Perhaps that's why his performance seemed robotic to you.

I am NOT a fan of the musical RAISIN. This play is so powerful that I do not find it enhanced in any way by the addition of music. (I don't find the score all that wonderful anyway. Hansbury's words are all the music the show needs.)

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2004, 11:33:16 AM »

Btw, I know this question for BK, but I'm curious about which talk shows DR watch.

I never watch Oprah or Dr. Phil.  But I do like The View.

And I'm not sure if Ryan Seacrest's new show is considered a talk show.  But his show is quite amusing and different.  And every Thursday, you get to see the person voted off American Idol.

Earlier this week he had the cast of the OC on.  I'll bet I'm the only one here who watches that show. :)

Panni

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2004, 11:36:30 AM »

Dan-in-TO - Unfortunately, my ex-m-i-l doesn't live in Dildo.

Panni

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2004, 11:38:47 AM »

Anyone read the weekend NY Times profile of Tonya Pinkins?  What a life!

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2004, 11:38:49 AM »

DR WEL wrote:
Had Kristen & Idina been nominated for a joint award like Alice & Emily, there would have been no beating them.

Do you mean that you think that Kristin and Idina should be nominated together for a Tony (like Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner were?).

I was totally devastated that Alice and Emily lost.  Their performances were beyond incredible.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 11:40:56 AM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2004, 11:38:52 AM »

As with so many awards, you can't predict a winner JUST by looking at the performances. So much more goes into the votes people cast. One thing WEL mentioned that I think is VERY significant is that Idina has never won while the other three have. Tonya also staged that sit-out some months back for a big salary increase that didn't reap her very positive press. I know if I were voting, I'd remember that Tony that Donna Murphy won the year Julie Andrews removed herself from consideration (though the nomination stood) and figure she already had a second Tony and not be so willing to grant her a third one so soon. (Of course, Audra McDonald won three in five years, so that certainly didn't stop anyone from voting for her last two winning performances.)

I haven't heard CAROLINE or CHANGE, so it's hard to be able to compare in any way, but on the basis of cast album performances of the other three, I'd give it to Idina without even a second thought.

If ASSASSINS doesn't extend again, I plan to see CAROLINE this summer when I go up (if it's still playing).

Jennifer

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2004, 11:47:32 AM »

A friend of mine connected to the current revival of A RAISIN IN THE SUN told me that P Diddy has an earpiece through which he gets his lines, blocking, and cues fed nightly. Perhaps that's why his performance seemed robotic to you.

Do you think he gets all his lines, or just when he forgets them?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2004, 11:52:17 AM »

I'm tired and cranky, I've been up all night working on my script, and I've had too little sleep.

1) Panni, you were the one who said granny has not had made any effort of a relationship with your daughter for ten years.  Isn't that about half your daughter's life?  It seems to be if she still expects a birthday call from you to cheer her up, then there's a whole guilt/power game being played there I don't want to even get into.  It has nothing to do with being noble, good, proper, or karma.  Why feel obligated to "cheer" up a woman whose only real connection to you at this point is through your daughter whom she's apparently ignored for half the girl's life?  I don't get either the expectations or obligations of that from either side.

2)RLP, I jotted most of my AI observations down last night.  Big Band arrangements (and they were great arrangements) aren't the same as Big Band songs.  Songs written long after the Big Band era and dressed up in Big Band trappngs don't cut it for me.  You might as well have called it standard/movie/show tune night as well as Big Band night. There were plenty of songs (some movie and shows tunes, yes, but a whole lot that weren't) that were actually popularized and became standards through their Big Band recordings.  Why couldn't we've have heard a few of those? I made my list last night.

Choices were obvious, predictable, and stylings were derivative.  Even those competent were really out of their depth.  Give me Helen O' Connell, Frances Gifford, Ray Eberle, Vaughn Monroe, or Skinnay Ennis anyday.

Simon hardly damned Clay Aiken to anything by stating his voice was Broadway (it would be better served by Broadway than most of the mediocre crap he's forced to sing these days).  It's quite apparent that, despite coming in second to Reuben, his popularity and the depth of his talent has served him better than Reuben and that his star has risen probably higher than any of the other contestants from any year.  He's the only one who I can actually see still possibly being around five years from now.  It will be because of the Broadway qualities and range of his voice.  

Simon is the most honest judge there.  I don't always agree with him, but about ninety percent of the time, he's right on the money for me.  If anything, he's gotten a little softer this year.  He actually said last night that he liked this kind of music (I'm still not sure it's the kind of music "pop" idols sing though, which is usually his point...Britney Spears hasn't released her standards album yet...thank God!).

Grrrr, snarl, woof!  Damn them all, Damn them all to Hell.  I'm ready to bitch-slap any and all!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2004, 11:53:50 AM »

WEL thanks for the Raisin in the Sun review....and interesting sidebar MATTH.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2004, 11:54:38 AM »

Jennifer: Anyone can answer any question.

Jrand: I believe they use DVDs now or some form of digi-beta.  

It's obvious in Xanadu that Kelly did his own choreography - it's like a breath of fresh air.  But, oh, that script.  And Michael Beck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up